Boston University

Boston University Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Boston University President and Trustee Robert A. Brown

Robert A. Brown

Pros
  • The Tuition Remission benefit is the best thing about working at BU(in 22 reviews)

• Great benefits, full-timers can take advantage of free or significant tuition discounts for self and family(in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • No room for growth, poor management(in 4 reviews)

• Work-life balance varies depending on the office and supervisors that you have(in 4 reviews)

Laboratory Assistant

ProsI worked here for a summer in the cognitive neurobiology lab. I had a great time and met great people. The staff is really friendly; including lot of young students. The work was also very interesting.

ConsAlthough I was only a laboratory assistant for a few short months, I would expect the pay to be a little bit higher.

Residency at Boston University

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat environment, high workload, excellent work experience

ConsLimited clinical work space at times

world-class university

Research Assistant Professor (Former Employee) Boston, MA

Prosurban, international, gym, great neuroscience community in Boston

ConsBU is not very campusey

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Proshop Associate

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt was a relaxed environment.

ConsIt was an uncomfortable work space.

Program Director BU associated program in Waltham MA

DIrector of Media Production, FIlm Program Director, Consultant (Former Employee) Waltham, MA

ProsThe energy and enthusiasm were amazing and envigorating. I found a willingness to expand on existing teaching models, and to create collaborative, real-world assignments for students that enhanced their person and especially their professional results. The original company values of this satellite campus was to empower students through a Certificate program so as to be "hireable" in their areas of passion and dedication. A very strong faculty base, as well as excellent contract instructors made for a uniquely lively and energetic environment.

ConsMore than anything, the over-abundance of energy and input seemed to have "overloaded the system", most noticeably at the management level. After a very strong start in terms of enrollment, the top-level management decided that program directors were responsible for nearly all administrative duties, and that took its toll pretty quickly.

Advice to Senior ManagementA most outstanding project, with outstanding results as far as most the graduates, I feel if the "Management" had approached CDIA as a truly unique and valuable educational ventures instead of strictly a financial one, the CDIA program would still be thriving. I am proud of having helped create the curriculum in Digital Film, as well as the many professiona associations that CDIA benefitted from.

I worked ResLife at BU for a semester during college.

Resident Life (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsThe people in the office were very warm and fun to be around. There was often very little work that needed to be done.

ConsThe work was often tedious and time consuming - photocopying paperwork, filing papers for lost room keys, etc.

I had great experiences with fellow students and professors, but not so much with the administration.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFellow students, attentive professors and great city.

ConsYou have to jump through a lot of administrative hoops and the communication between departments is almost nonexistent.

Great benefits but no room for growth.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsGreat benefits, lots of holidays and vacation days.

ConsI feel like there wasn't much room for growth. Managers seem to only appreciate and focus on the employees that they like.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more supportive of every employee and help them grow. Evaluate your employees workload and make the necessary changes. Stop hiring unqualified people.

Good Place

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosmoves a bit slow but other wise great place to work

Conscan't think of any, expect the building need some construction.

Postdoctoral fellow

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood people, top notch research

ConsNo real drawbacks, but experiences will be highly dependent on your PI

Worked for Boston University? Contribute to the Community!