Boston University

Boston University Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Boston University President and Trustee Robert A. Brown

Robert A. Brown

Pros:
  • "The Tuition Remission benefit is the best thing about working at BU"
    in 22 reviews
  • "Great benefits and learning environment for recent college grads"
    in 15 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work-life balance varies depending on the office and supervisors that you have"
    in 4 reviews
  • "As a graduate student, it is really a good chance to work on campus and get to know more people"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

The blind leading the blind...

Boston, MA

ProsThere are a plethora of Starbucks within a mile radius of the University.

ConsThe people (managers) who are in charge of making the technology decisions have their own agendas and don't listen to the people they have hired as subject matter experts in their field. Managers should manage people, not make technology decisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis is the perfect quote for BU IS&T...

"Technology is dominated by two types of people: those who understand what they do not manage and those who manage what they do not understand."

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Help Desk

ProsI was looking to work for them. I have over 10 yrs professional experience

ConsThese people are very sloppy. they first call me to interview and I immediately agree to interview the next day. Two individuals conducted a phone interview and then I was told that I would actually receive a call back within a few days. while those three days turn into weeks i haven't heard back from them. I reached out to find out the status and they told me that it was still thinking about it and that they will get back to me. I have reach out again to try to get more information but still they still are thinking about and don't have a solid answer.

I personally think that is very irresponsible when a company doesn't have to dignity and courtesy to get back to you and let you know that you don't qualify. I think that's very irresponsible and immature and unprofessional. I would not expect this from a reputable I higher learning education company.

If that's how they do business I don't want to be part of the team just because their behavior shows in the way that they interview and follow non follow up to commitments. They sloppy , irresponsible and don't take commitment serious

Advice to Senior ManagementChange management to responsible and respectful staff

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

It's who you know not what you know...

ProsFree tuition makes it worth the hassle

ConsUnqualified "friend-of-a-friend" and political appointees get the jobs and promotions.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Do not work here. Run!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsNo pros about the department.

Outside of the department, this is a good business school that will see great growth in the coming years. Dean Freeman has great plans for the future, hopefully this involves changes in the ELC.

ConsWorst environment I have ever worked in. Very high turnover due to bad leadership. Not sure how it has continued to be this way for many years.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake note of why there is such a high turnover. A new Director is way overdue for this department.

terrible salaries, better opportunities elsewhere

Proslarge university so you will meet people

Conspoor salaries, nepotism - everyone went to school here and then immediately started working here after graduation

Advice to Senior Managementbetter benefits would make up for low salaries

no bueno

ProsThe school is located in boston

Consthe school is located in boston, they have an exremely biased hiring process where unqualified candidates will be chosen over well qualified ones due to merely having studied through BU in some fashion, there are some race quotas that they seek to meet as well

Advice to Senior Managementtry to hire qualified people you twits

Boston University

Customer Support Service (Former Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsThe people are friendly, good fringe benefits

ConsNo room for growth, poor management

Executive Leadership Center at the School of Management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsOverall, the University is a great place to work. Nice people, great benefits, down to earth, etc.

ConsDo not enter a job with the Executive Leadership Center at SMG The department is run incredibly poorly and every staff member there is treated like dirt due to the terrible, terrible leadership. Everyone at the School, and a large part of the University, know about the issues this department faces but no one will do anything about it. In addition to many other factors, there is constant turnover in the department but apparently that is not enough of a sign that something must be done with the leadership.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlace even the least bit of value on employee happiness.

Management out of control

Assistant Professor (Former Employee)

Proslocation, location, location; good facilities at neighboring institutions

ConsPoisonous atmosphere; back stabbing rampant

Could be great but is very poor due to incompetent management.

ProsI work with some of the most interesting and fascinating intelligent people. It's in a great location and the benefits are great.

ConsA poisonous work environment is pervasive stemming from poor mid to high level management. There are many managers without any skills to lead people. President Brown knows about them and... does... nothing. IT management is incompetent at most levels, they seem to reward yes-people and smooth talkers more than the people who take pride in their work. IT on the med campus is in disarray and the university management does nothing about it and they do nothing to make it appealing to anyone who could come in and make it work.

Horrible place to work and the frustrating thing is that it would be so easy to make it great. President Brown (and other senior people) clearly don't care or if they do they have a weird way of expressing it.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize the wheat and get rid of the chaff and don't wait until the next Millenium to do it. Get rid of your butt kissers - it discourages those who actually do the work and it makes you seem too insecure to lead.

Worked for Boston University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Boston University reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Boston University CEO Robert A. Brown. All 266 reviews posted anonymously by Boston University employees.