Bostwick Laboratories

Be The First To
Add Photos

David G. Bostwick

Outstanding

Medical Records Associate (Former Employee)
Orlando, FL

I worked at Bostwick Laboratories full-time for more than a year

ProsFamily Environment and great learning experience

ConsMoved to another state and we did not or were unable to relocate with them

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember us when or if you come back to Florida

Dying-nostics

I have been working at Bostwick Laboratories full-time for more than a year

ProsThe great pay and the ability to truly run your own business. Great products and excellent pathology.

ConsManagement calling audibles at the line and telling nobody. Constant shifting of commission structure and renigging on pay. Clueless "Middle" management. No one taking accountability for errors and pointing fingers at others. Closure of labs and minimalist approach for the few with no regard for the masses in other locations.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at the growth vs the stagnation. Fix the problems and move forward. Do not limit yourself to one location. The government has changed the playing field and now we need to leaarn to play a different game.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Not for professionals

Glen Allen, VA

I worked at Bostwick Laboratories full-time for more than a year

ProsLearning how to deal with the darker side of politics.
General training.
Character development.

ConsThe general lack of values, respect, integrity, effective communication and general professionalism make it extremely difficult to come to work and simply do your job. If you don't mind being a politician all day, constantly checking and re-checking other people's work, playing blame games and looking over your shoulder then this place is for you.

A lot of newly enacted policies tend to be done by word of mouth and leave too many points open to interpretation.

Three rounds of 10-20 employee layoffs in 1 1/2 years, locations being shut down and distrust of management/leadership positions do not promote a positive work environment. When layoffs are made, they tend to cut people who have been with the company the longest and/or have given the most.

People who are clear leaders and have been with the company for 5+ years are in the same positions they started in, so the opportunity for growth and advancement are slim.

Newly enacted health care reform laws are making testing more expensive so the future for the industry does not look bright.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow up.

It could have been better

I worked at Bostwick Laboratories full-time for more than 3 years

ProsA wonderful opportunity to work with very smart and hard working people, from all strata of work, from a mail clerk, to the medical COO. Also, I had an opportunity to broaden my learning horizons by attending seminars, and so on.

ConsIt seemed like that there was no appreciation for all the hard work that was invested by all the smart heads. When the lab crew was told that "there might be closing of the lab", no one really believed in that, because that lab was a money maker, so it seemed illogical. But it did happen, and a whole bunch of people ended up either without a job, or being moved to clerical positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementI wish you would bring back the momentum back where the brainpower ruled. I am afraid it might be too late for that. I don't think I would like to work again there.

Worst company I ever worked for

I worked at Bostwick Laboratories full-time for more than 3 years

Prosnone that i can think of

Consdrama - lies - childish behavior - CEO is a buffoon who makes irresponsible financial decisions

Advice to Senior Managementget out while you can

At one time it was a good place to work, but management quickly ended that.

Mid-Level Manager (Former Employee)
Glen Allen, VA

I worked at Bostwick Laboratories

ProsThe pay is pretty good if you are not a low-level employee. Paid time off is reasonable.

ConsAbsolutely no communication from management. Very authoritarian work environment, meaning the owner of the company has all the power and you had better not annoy him. People are literally scared when he walks through. Bad business decisions have led to the majority of the business shutting down. Probably will not be in business for much longer.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to relinquish control to a larger group of people and promote competent mid-level management instead of deriding them and scaring them away.

OK, if you just work, and don't pay attention to situation around you

I worked at Bostwick Laboratories

ProsSalaries were good, a possibility to work independently as much as possible.

ConsInability to understand what is the primary job for the entire lab. It felt like incompetent people started to lead the company, and the closure of the lab was the biggest blow for the Richmond, VA area.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you have kept the competent people and let science find its way, I wouldn't have been an ex-employee.

A company with such potential. . . sabotaged by senior management

Accountant (Former Employee)

I worked at Bostwick Laboratories

ProsPay scales and benefits were pretty competitive. That is the only good thing I can say.

ConsConstant turmoil is all I can say. I had 3 supervisors in 9 months. And at least 10 managers were fired or quit in that same period of time. Move a department upstairs. Move the same department back downstairs. 3 accounting audits in the same 9 months.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe CEO should stick with his medical expertise and let some competent financial people to run his company.

Why you should or should not consider employment.

Registration Associate (Former Employee)
Orlando, FL

I worked at Bostwick Laboratories

ProsSolid benefits, yearly bonus (although that is subject to be withdrawn at management's discretion.) Job duties are relatively easy for someone with a medical and medical billing background. Working conditions are quite nice, for example the company provides ergonomic supplies when requested and safety equipment is readily available.

ConsStaff is predominately Hispanic (although this could be a pro if you are Hispanic.) Most of the conversation was conducted in Spanish, including instructions to the Registration Department staff by the department Supervisor. Training on new procedures was limited and often confusing, even to the most experienced department personnel. The company is family owned and operated, therefore family members are often in upper management positions without the skills and abilities to carry out the job functions of their positions. Salary increases are completely based on management's yearly performance appraisals. As an employee you have no chance to dispute or change your evaluation scores. The company has recently discontinued it's matching contribution to the 401(k) retirement savings plan and has not provided a projected date for reinstating the match. Gossip runs rampant throughout the company, to the extent that very few can be trusted with confidential matters.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen filling an open position you must conduct a face to face interview and not base your hiring decision only on a resume. Guidelines must be put into place as to when it is and is not appropriate to speak in a language other than English. Promotions must be based on the employee's skills, abilities, knowledge, and experience rather than on favoritism of one employee over another.

May seem like a great company during the interview, but beware

I worked at Bostwick Laboratories

ProsSince you are dealing with cancer in most cases, you do have the feeling that you are positively affecting people's lives. Facilities are nice and good location. Pay was good.

ConsCertain career areas seem to be a revolving door. You will not get the feeling that your tenure is a long term commitment. Senior leadership manages through fear and intimidation.

Advice to Senior ManagementExpertise in pathology does not also mean expertise in business.

Worked for Bostwick Laboratories? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bostwick Laboratories reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Bostwick Laboratories CEO David G. Bostwick. All 13 reviews posted anonymously by Bostwick Laboratories employees.