Bottomline Technologies

Bottomline Technologies Reviews

Updated Jul 11, 2014

Bottomline Technologies President, CEO, and Director Rob Eberle

Rob Eberle

Pros
  • There are great people to work with and the benefits are top notch(in 5 reviews)

• Good benefits, free fruit in the summer, free ice cream(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • They talk of 'work-life balance', but they do not walk the walk(in 7 reviews)

• Too many VP's and not strong enough middle management(in 5 reviews)

EMEA Growth by acquisition, not focused on clients

ProsTheir cash rich status will ensure stability in your career here. EMEA region is well established, with a managerial team that has grown steadily through acquisition

ConsThere's a lot of internal positioning that politics which will suck your time up in whatever role you take at this company. Their growth by acquisition approach typically results in throwing the valuable people away and adding products to their offering that they don't necessarily understand or know how to sell. Over time, the main area that suffers is the customer experience, ironically one of the main areas they spend their marketing budget on. Saying is not doing.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop working in silos and understand your processes from start to finish before assuming that your operations are in good working order. Give value to the client before bringing money into the equation.

Fast Paced Growing Company

(Current Employee) Portsmouth, NH

ProsThere are a ton of positives at Bottomline. The most important one are the people. This is an amazing group of very smart and very motivated people.

Bottomline is growing at an amazing rate
    Lots of opportunities for motivated employees to move up
    Lots of high quality very smart people to work with
    You will be challenged and you will grow your skills if you are successful here
    Great culture
    No boundaries between teams. People work together
    Amazing location in Portsmouth NH
    One of the best college hire programs I've ever seen
    I've personally recommended Bottomline to several friends
    My daughter loves the annual bring your kid to work day
    The ice cream truck shows up every other Friday all summer

ConsBottomline is not for everyone. This company is made up of top performers and people that are looking to go home at 4:40 won't be happy here. Be sure you are looking to join a company that's growing this fast before joining Bottomline. If you don't want a challenge this is not the right place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep growing your pool of talented people. Invest even more in training and mentoring programs. The ones in place today are working.

Lousy place to work

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Portland, ME

Prosnone that I can think of.

ConsUnderstaffed and frequent turnover of employees due to an increased workload.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your priorities straight. Settle on a workable plan and finish it before changing your mind.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company but lots of room for growth

ProsEmployees are go getters and want to impress and succeed and great benefits

ConsThere is a disconnect between management and employees. There is a desire to be a global company but the knowledge to do it successfully is severely lacking. There is very little sharing of information between employees and groups as people silo information to ensure their job, which causes lots of issues.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook through your employee base and find people who have worked for successful and unsuccessful global companies to see what knowledge they can bring to your company so all can succeed.

Words can not adequately describe the sheer frustration!

Sales Executive (Current Employee)

ProsOpportunity to work with some quality people who despite the absolute failure of executive management continue to put their best efforts in for no reward other than personal pride and professional integrity.

ConsStart at the very top. The con starts there and rolls down through the Management tree, who by the way are simply puppets and yes men to the President and CEO. It is a sham of the highest order. All decisions and directions are made and given in isolation with middle management left to clean up the mess and try and implement train wreck after train wreck.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork with and for your employees!!

Building a career

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Portsmouth, NH

ProsI’ve worked at Bottomline for over six years now, and I can say that the environment is high-energy, positive, and supportive. At all levels, there is an emphasis on putting the customers first, and supporting your team and co-workers (we’d call it “working with and for each other”). For the entire time I’ve worked here, the company has been aggressively growing by pursuing larger customers, acquiring new businesses, and expanding its offerings to capture more business. The company has grown significantly (check the market cap), and continues to push along that track. What that means for employees is a fast paced environment that top performers will be comfortable in.

With all of that said, people at all levels take pride in the company’s achievement, and management makes everyone aware of the business results and how every person contributes to our success.

Salary and Bonuses - Ample, opportunities to ensure that you're where you feel you should be
    Benefits - Excellent, can't say enough about the medical, vision, dental, life ins, etc.

ConsThese are not "Cons", but a reality check:

When considering Bottomline, don’t mistake it for a “typical” medium size company that’s coasting on past successes. The pace is fast.

The company has high expectations, and those who have high expectations of themselves will succeed most here.

A wonderful place to work; I am proud to be a part of BT

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Portsmouth, NH

Pros-Positive, forward-thinking and creative environment
    -Excellent benefits and employee perks
    -Great people!
    -Bottomline has a very strong focus on giving back to our community!
    -Employees are valued and respected
    -Fast-paced and a positive, challenging environment

ConsNo specific negatives; as with most companies, communication between departments and/or management could be improved.

A company that would like to monopolies but lacks integrity and direction

Support Consultant (Former Employee) Reading, England (UK)

Pros* A few slices of pizza one week of the month/Fruit on a Fridays etc
    * Some good annual company events
    * opportunity to travel to different office areas

Cons* Poor salary but, will pay contractors a generous sum
    * No great insurance, pension plan or annual bonuses
    * If you have come from an acquisition you will be treated like a second class citizen
    * Management lacks the permission to make any true decisions
    * Appraisals lead to dead ends, and are just a tick in the box for management.
    * Will take on a lot of work from acquisitions, but will not employ new staff. This puts teams under a lot of pressure with little to no breathing space.

Stuck in the past, stalling in the present, scared of the future

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Reading, England (UK)

ProsIn many ways, working at Bottomline is just your average, monotonous office job. That’s one of the nicest things I can say about this company.

Fruit bowls in the office, although sometimes under-provisioned, are a welcome touch.

Employees are given free food each fortnight, alternately breakfast bacon/sausage rolls (under the sickly guise of ‘Happy Monday’) and pizza. All this, but no healthcare plan. Trying to kill us off?

ConsGrowing too quickly for its infrastructure. The company is trying to double revenue every three years, yet ploughs so little of that money back into its increasingly overstretched systems that the whole thing is likely to come tumbling down at any minute.

Growth is through acquisition and the process seems to be:
    1. buy company that’s turning over a decent profit by selling better software
    2. make majority of the acquired company’s staff redundant
    3. take over their customers in order to sell them Bottomline’s archaic software instead.

This is an American company and as such you can expect ‘mission statements’, motivational posters & regularly updated boiler plates, overbearing middle management requiring constant progress meetings, a total commitment to maximising short term profit and dictation from the US board regardless of your own local market.

It’s embarrassing to be involved with a company that claims to have fantastic customer service (there’s even a pitiful ‘customer service’ campaign with logos and mottos to convince people of this) but which has the highest ratio I’ve ever come across of unhappy to satisfied customers.

The fastest growing department is human resources. They need extra people to handle all the redundancies and resignations! Second is marketing, who are needed to create the motivational posters and customer service propaganda.

One part of the Reading office is bolted on to the Crown Prosecution Service building, with shallow airless work spaces. The other is an ex-warehouse office building with barely any natural light, with nowhere to go to escape the ‘work area’. In general the office atmosphere is muted and formal, making it a particularly unpleasant place to work.

Middle-senior management is a boys club. Not to say that it necessarily needs more women, but people in those positions should adjust their behaviour to lose some macho bravado and make some more level-headed decisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to grow make sure you can handle it first. ‘Building houses on sand’ comes to mind.

The internet exists, embrace it. Other companies are miles ahead in ‘cloud’ products (i.e. they actually have one). Burying your heads in the sand isn’t going to make it go away, and competitors are taking away more of your core market each month. I suppose you could always just buy another company and bastardise their code instead of developing your own.

You’re clearly a software company but you’re scared of using the word ’software’ to describe your business activity. Make your minds up.

Senior management is not there to be worshipped, please cut back on the compulsory conferences where you expect our adulation for what you’ve been doing with your $3 million salary over the last few weeks.

Working at BT

Senior Software Developer (Former Employee) Portsmouth, NH

Prosa. Good benefits; b. Good salary; c. Outstanding U.S. locations; d. Good product lines, which support a variety of industries.

Consa. Too many lay offs; b. Management (at times) uses a knee jerk reaction to things. c. Don't even try to talk to the Office Supervisor in Alpharetta--runs the place like a Prison of War camp.

Advice to Senior Managementa. Trust and rely on employees--they have a lot to offer.

Worked for Bottomline Technologies? Contribute to the Community!