Bottomline Technologies

Bottomline Technologies Reviews

Updated Apr 8, 2014

Bottomline Technologies President, CEO, and Director Rob Eberle

Rob Eberle

Don't contract here. Don't expect to be here more than 2 years.

Systems Analyst (Current Employee)
Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies as a contractor for less than a year

ProsNice building. Lots of work, never boring.They have a great espresso machine in the main kitchen. Great opportunities to learn. Good place to wait out the economic recovery.

ConsAbsolutely horrible culture. There is no real Life/Work balance even so they talk about how great it is all the time. Most permanent employees regularly work 10 hour days just to keep up.

They do not do their homework on mergers. They bought a large portion of Intuit's business but don't even have close to the infrastructure to integrate the group into the company.

Bottomline has a horrible reputation in the area for over work and underpay. I know a couple of very talented technology professionals looking for their next move who won't event consider this company due to their reputation. They currently have about 40 positions right now that they just can't fill. Seems their reputation is catching up with them.

Very telling of the pay scale. They have many VPs and Directors but if you look in the parking lot there are almost no high end cars. Usually tech bosses love their BMWs.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize that it is not all about the profits. Treat your people with some respect. Pay them what they are worth.

Company performs well, communications to employees are inconsistent

Atlanta, GA

ProsFair wage
Maintains strong position in its industry
Ability to focus on key markets
Strong financial management
Stock price is strong and consistent

ConsDoes not empower employees
Makes promises it does not keep
Constant headcount reduction loses key players and core talent
Finance always wins over substance

Advice to Senior ManagementStop telling your employees how important they are and talking about "We" when you don't mean it.

Could be better, could be worse....

I worked at Bottomline Technologies

ProsLocal company in NH seacoast area, lots of opportunity in the software development industry. Good place to work for "techies".

ConsOrganization is running a bit too lean therefore it provides a poor work life balance. Methodologies need to be refined and adopted company wide to be effective.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest time and money into the overall business's infrastructure and take the time to fully document your products to ensure the wheel does not need to be re-invented every time you implement your products to your customers.

Middle management lacks ability to grow. Petty people who can't manage in a bigger environment. Hurts everyone

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies

ProsStrong Exec team that has grown the Company (sales wise) over the last 5-6 years.

ConsMiddle group, especially marketing and sales don't have the ability to manage their teams or be real Directors. Prefer to sacrifice their own staff then face their inability to grow as managers and executives. Amazing turnover over great people who are then blamed for the inability of the people that manage them. Too bad. Great overall, but wrong team to grow with.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed a team that can manage a $250 m organization - Top can't do it all. Folks who have 'grown' with the position can't do the job. Time to bring in an new bench.

EMEA Growth by acquisition, not focused on clients

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time

ProsTheir cash rich status will ensure stability in your career here. EMEA region is well established, with a managerial team that has grown steadily through acquisition

ConsThere's a lot of internal positioning that politics which will suck your time up in whatever role you take at this company. Their growth by acquisition approach typically results in throwing the valuable people away and adding products to their offering that they don't necessarily understand or know how to sell. Over time, the main area that suffers is the customer experience, ironically one of the main areas they spend their marketing budget on. Saying is not doing.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop working in silos and understand your processes from start to finish before assuming that your operations are in good working order. Give value to the client before bringing money into the equation.

Good company but lots of room for growth

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time for more than a year

ProsEmployees are go getters and want to impress and succeed and great benefits

ConsThere is a disconnect between management and employees. There is a desire to be a global company but the knowledge to do it successfully is severely lacking. There is very little sharing of information between employees and groups as people silo information to ensure their job, which causes lots of issues.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook through your employee base and find people who have worked for successful and unsuccessful global companies to see what knowledge they can bring to your company so all can succeed.

Working at BT

Senior Software Developer (Former Employee)

I worked at Bottomline Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

Prosa. Good benefits; b. Good salary; c. Outstanding U.S. locations; d. Good product lines, which support a variety of industries.

Consa. Too many lay offs; b. Management (at times) uses a knee jerk reaction to things. c. Don't even try to talk to the Office Supervisor in Alpharetta--runs the place like a Prison of War camp.

Advice to Senior Managementa. Trust and rely on employees--they have a lot to offer.

Good company that could be great.

Sales Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies

ProsYou manage your own space and are given the opportunity to demonstrate you can perform. Good performance is rewarded and is advertised within the organization when it happens. Those that perform are also fairly compensated.

ConsGood performance is only rewarded through perks, but not through advancement. You must be a member of the inside-group to move up, which leaves good performers without careers and incompetent people moving up the ladder. This is smart for top management = build an army of supporting staff that are completely loyal. However, this is slowing the pace of growth since the company is saturated with poor middle managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote based on performance so middle-management is strengthened by those that can clearly demonstrate through experience that they know what they are doing.

the is for and about the share holders; investment in employees is limited

I worked at Bottomline Technologies

ProsThe health insurance plan is very good.
The allowance for extra personal time off is really good.
Most people (peers) were really nice to work with.

Consthe company is only about making money for the stock holders, now; not much long term vision.
Pay was low for the work expected from employees. management, in general is not open to the employee base.

Great career opportunities

I worked at Bottomline Technologies

ProsIt was a great learning experience and the co workers were phenomenal. The management team was very receptive to ideas and did not shy away from helping and answering questions when the need arose. I would recommend the company to anyone who is looking for a sales or marketing job. They were also very helpful in reviewing performance and letting you know that you were doing a good job. The feedback was great. Its a fairly big company, but not too big that you get lost in the shuffle. Most of the people I worked with were friendly and always willing to help.

ConsThere were not too many downsides to my time there. I know certain people worked a lot of hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Worked for Bottomline Technologies? Contribute to the Community!

Bottomline Technologies – Why Work for Us?

Bottomline is proud of our team-oriented culture. Each day, the way we conduct business is anchored by our Guiding Principles. • Delight Customers • Innovate, Communicate, Win and Grow • Work With and For Each Other… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bottomline Technologies reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Bottomline Technologies CEO Rob Eberle. All 44 reviews posted anonymously by Bottomline Technologies employees.