Bottomline Technologies

Bottomline Technologies Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Bottomline Technologies President, CEO, and Director Rob Eberle

Rob Eberle

Used to be OK, but not now

Senior Manager (Current Employee)

ProsFor the most part the non managerial people are good to work with, however there has been an exodus of good hard working people over the past few years. I can't say the same thing about senior management however. Health insurance is good. Basically if you are a junior level person and want to get some experience and can keep your head down and out of the way of senior management it's not too bad of a place. I wouldn't recommend that anyone stay longer than 5 years (get some experience and get out) or try to climb the ladder unless you are a good yes man and have a talet for stabbing your peers in the back.

ConsThe culture is really toxic at the higher levels - you need to constantly watch your back. The company motto is 'With and for each other' which could not be further from the truth. This all really stems from the CEO and flows down so until there is a change at the top I don't see the company culture changing.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe atmosphere is really driving good people away which is too bad - the strength of the company could really be improved if there was a shift towards listening to differing opinions instead of rewarding those who parrot the same ideas senior managment has already decided on.

Refreshing!

Technical Consultant (Current Employee)
    Reading, England (UK)

ProsGreat salary. Free massages. Pizza Friday. Car allowance. Friendly team. Reliable products and a friendly attitude. Annual holiday entitlement that increases yearly. Good bonus scheme.

ConsNeed to realise that they do encroach on the home/work balance sometimes too much. Staff need tolearn to map ready better when booking jobs. Very little quality control.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees ideas more.

Fabulous place to work in every aspect!

Enrollment Specialist (Current Employee)
    Portsmouth, NH

ProsI look forward to coming to work every day. Why? Because Bottomline really cares about its employees. I have the feeling that my opinion matters from the CEO, to Vice Presidents and Managers as well as my co-workers. The culture is built around "working with and for each other" and I have seen this consistently throughout my time here. The message I hear from the senior staff is that I am doing a good job and that I am a valued employee. Who doesn't like recognitiion for a job well done? Moreover, it's clear that there is room for growth here--when a talent is recognized, management acts on it. In other words the focus is on the strengths of our skill set, rather than our shortcomings and then they run with that which makes it fun and rewarding. Employees share a strong work ethic--I always feel like it's team work and that we're moving toward a goal together. Managers are approachable, colleagues are a pleasure, the benefits are very generous--"think Matching 401K" and the environment is well--beautiful! If it's important to you to work hard, feel a part of and to feel satisfied at the end of the day, then this is the place for you.

ConsFrom where I sit? None.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

VP Development

Portsmouth, NH

ProsNone what so ever! Oh Yes, if you can say "Yes Sir!" you will be a star.

ConsNo Vision or Goals. Very tactical no strategy. Treat workforce like an accordion. The CEO behavior is deplorable.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand software development 101 or remove the name "Technologies" from the name.

Good to Learn At, Quick to Plateau and Become Stifled

Digital Designer, Front-End Developer (Former Employee)

ProsLocation
    Benefit package
    Bonuses
    Potential for company growth
    Strong UI/UX team

ConsThe company is bogged down by an overbearing network of bureaucracy. For being a tech company, it is ironically slow to adopt new and forward thinking platforms and standards - their corporate website is a glaring example of this sort of backwards thinking.

Numbers and illusion of company gains are valued more than clear and honest communication with prospects and customers. Expect to have processes ignored and overstepped by management. The company does a good job at squashing any initiative or enthusiasm one would otherwise have for their position.

Advice to Senior ManagementResign. The company needs less of you and more of those in specialized fields.

As short sighted as they come...

ProsI cannot think of any upside to working at Bottomline other than the potential to fade into the mix so much that you can pretty much just exist and take home your salary in many cases...mainly in Senior and Exec Management.

ConsInnovation (product or market) is NOT a strength, even though it's often talked about.
    Strategic thinking is NOT something that is practised.
    Enabling employees to be successful is NOT a focus, not matter what field or geography.
    Micro management is rife.
    Absolutely no appetite to stay the course to achieve success in new or emerging markets.
    BT is STRICTLY, almost cripplingly so, a 90 day revenue focussed business and it doesn't care how or where it comes from.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a look outside the 4 walls and see how the REAL world, along with your competitors, is evolving.
    The business world is passing you by because you arrogantly refuse to keep up.

Worst company that I've ever worked for!

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
    Portsmouth, NH

ProsGreat location, co-workers are great!

ConsCulture is purely toxic. Non revenue generating departments such as human resources have way too much influence on the "producers." Too many VP's and not strong enough middle management. Part of that issue is because no one is empowered at BT. The dysfunction here will eventually bring the company crashing down.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication must be improved. Since they are organized by product lines and verticals, communication between the silos is non-existent and very frustrating. You might also want to reduce the power in those non-revenue generating departments STAT. To have a VP in software development report to a VP in HR is ludicrous.

Many years ago, a great company to work for however the past several proved a toxic environment.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Portsmouth, NH

ProsLocation. Nice building but poorly maintained. Previous associates a delight to work with. Decent insurance. The poor reputation of Bottomline and how they drive and abuse their employees helps to open doors to employees searching for a new employer.

ConsDysfunctional overpaid management on many levels lead to high stress, long days/weekends with no gratitude and often insist when you work each holiday that you just take another day off. Like they are doing employees a favor? Salary range is low but compared to unemployment it's reasonable when hired until the workload of three employees is handed over. Like it or leave is their attitude. Overpaid upper management enjoy outrageous bonus levels following a raise freeze and layoffs. Very TOXIC environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire an efficiency expert to come in for one week. One week observing will save hundreds of thousands wasted on middle management. Have your remaining managers enroll in training courses and seminars. Threatening and yelling at employees hardly motivates or creates a positive working environment. Better yet, bring Joe back to set the company straight.

Awesome Place To Work

ProsGreat People
    Moving in forward direction
    Truly value every employee within organization

ConsFew and Far between for cons

Don't contract here. Don't expect to be here more than 2 years.

Systems Analyst (Current Employee)
    Portsmouth, NH

ProsNice building. Lots of work, never boring.They have a great espresso machine in the main kitchen. Great opportunities to learn. Good place to wait out the economic recovery.

ConsAbsolutely horrible culture. There is no real Life/Work balance even so they talk about how great it is all the time. Most permanent employees regularly work 10 hour days just to keep up.

They do not do their homework on mergers. They bought a large portion of Intuit's business but don't even have close to the infrastructure to integrate the group into the company.

Bottomline has a horrible reputation in the area for over work and underpay. I know a couple of very talented technology professionals looking for their next move who won't event consider this company due to their reputation. They currently have about 40 positions right now that they just can't fill. Seems their reputation is catching up with them.

Very telling of the pay scale. They have many VPs and Directors but if you look in the parking lot there are almost no high end cars. Usually tech bosses love their BMWs.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize that it is not all about the profits. Treat your people with some respect. Pay them what they are worth.

Worked for Bottomline Technologies? Contribute to the Community!

Bottomline Technologies – Why Work for Us?

Bottomline is proud of our team-oriented culture. Each day, the way we conduct business is anchored by our Guiding Principles. • Delight Customers • Innovate, Communicate, Win and Grow • Work With and For Each Other… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bottomline Technologies reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Bottomline Technologies CEO Rob Eberle. All 49 reviews posted anonymously by Bottomline Technologies employees.