Bottomline Technologies

Bottomline Technologies Reviews in Portsmouth, NH

Updated Apr 18, 2014

Bottomline Technologies President, CEO, and Director Rob Eberle

Rob Eberle

Pros
  • There are great people to work with and the benefits are top notch (in 5 reviews)

• Good benefits, free fruit in the summer, free ice cream (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • They talk of 'work-life balance', but they do not walk the walk (in 7 reviews)

• Too many VP's and not strong enough middle management (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights
24 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Nice Company and people, but..

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Portsmouth, NH

ProsGreat corporate philosophy, great ethic of working 'with and for' each other, good pride in their work.

ConsIt's a sweatshop. No other way to put it. They talk of 'work-life balance', but they do not walk the walk. Very long hours are frequently expected.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you say you believe in work life balance, practice that.

Bottomline Technologies where incompetence meets ignorance

Applications Developer (Current Employee) Portsmouth, NH

ProsGreat benefits ...good locations across the US and UK . Below the VP level lots of great people. A good place for someone to start their career if only to see what not to do.

ConsEnvironment as mentioned in numerous reviews is toxic. Sr management is borderline incompetent and without question arrogant and ignorant. The amount of wasted opportunity is beyond imagination. If you NEVER want to feel accomplished or successful you will fit right in. As soon as I have an option I will move on like most of the other good people.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo the CEO we all know your genuinely passionate about business and people but unfortunately your expressed ideals are not realized in your company.
    To the CEO beware of false prophets ... !
    To the CEO it's your job to know if your Sr. Management is effective ... If you held yourself to the standards you promote you would be a "C player" when evaluated on your direct reports effectiveness
    To the rest of Sr. Management and certainly to the newly anointed or promoted ... You really need to step away before you ruin the company ... The honeymoon is over the first part of solving the problem is knowing that you are the problem.

Fast Paced Growing Company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Portsmouth, NH

ProsThere are a ton of positives at Bottomline. The most important one are the people. This is an amazing group of very smart and very motivated people.

Bottomline is growing at an amazing rate
    Lots of opportunities for motivated employees to move up
    Lots of high quality very smart people to work with
    You will be challenged and you will grow your skills if you are successful here
    Great culture
    No boundaries between teams. People work together
    Amazing location in Portsmouth NH
    One of the best college hire programs I've ever seen
    I've personally recommended Bottomline to several friends
    My daughter loves the annual bring your kid to work day
    The ice cream truck shows up every other Friday all summer

ConsBottomline is not for everyone. This company is made up of top performers and people that are looking to go home at 4:40 won't be happy here. Be sure you are looking to join a company that's growing this fast before joining Bottomline. If you don't want a challenge this is not the right place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep growing your pool of talented people. Invest even more in training and mentoring programs. The ones in place today are working.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Building a career

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Portsmouth, NH

ProsI’ve worked at Bottomline for over six years now, and I can say that the environment is high-energy, positive, and supportive. At all levels, there is an emphasis on putting the customers first, and supporting your team and co-workers (we’d call it “working with and for each other”). For the entire time I’ve worked here, the company has been aggressively growing by pursuing larger customers, acquiring new businesses, and expanding its offerings to capture more business. The company has grown significantly (check the market cap), and continues to push along that track. What that means for employees is a fast paced environment that top performers will be comfortable in.

With all of that said, people at all levels take pride in the company’s achievement, and management makes everyone aware of the business results and how every person contributes to our success.

Salary and Bonuses - Ample, opportunities to ensure that you're where you feel you should be
    Benefits - Excellent, can't say enough about the medical, vision, dental, life ins, etc.

ConsThese are not "Cons", but a reality check:

When considering Bottomline, don’t mistake it for a “typical” medium size company that’s coasting on past successes. The pace is fast.

The company has high expectations, and those who have high expectations of themselves will succeed most here.

A wonderful place to work; I am proud to be a part of BT

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Portsmouth, NH

Pros-Positive, forward-thinking and creative environment
    -Excellent benefits and employee perks
    -Great people!
    -Bottomline has a very strong focus on giving back to our community!
    -Employees are valued and respected
    -Fast-paced and a positive, challenging environment

ConsNo specific negatives; as with most companies, communication between departments and/or management could be improved.

Working at BT

Senior Software Developer (Former Employee) Portsmouth, NH

Prosa. Good benefits; b. Good salary; c. Outstanding U.S. locations; d. Good product lines, which support a variety of industries.

Consa. Too many lay offs; b. Management (at times) uses a knee jerk reaction to things. c. Don't even try to talk to the Office Supervisor in Alpharetta--runs the place like a Prison of War camp.

Advice to Senior Managementa. Trust and rely on employees--they have a lot to offer.

Good place to work at

QA Engineer (Former Employee) Portsmouth, NH

ProsLocation, upper management were very good. Quarterly meetings were typically fun.

ConsGetting laid off due to business reasons

Advice to Senior ManagementLook to keep good people internally if there is an opportunity for them to move internally to stay employed and contributing to the company.

Fabulous place to work in every aspect!

Enrollment Specialist (Current Employee) Portsmouth, NH

ProsI look forward to coming to work every day. Why? Because Bottomline really cares about its employees. I have the feeling that my opinion matters from the CEO, to Vice Presidents and Managers as well as my co-workers. The culture is built around "working with and for each other" and I have seen this consistently throughout my time here. The message I hear from the senior staff is that I am doing a good job and that I am a valued employee. Who doesn't like recognitiion for a job well done? Moreover, it's clear that there is room for growth here--when a talent is recognized, management acts on it. In other words the focus is on the strengths of our skill set, rather than our shortcomings and then they run with that which makes it fun and rewarding. Employees share a strong work ethic--I always feel like it's team work and that we're moving toward a goal together. Managers are approachable, colleagues are a pleasure, the benefits are very generous--"think Matching 401K" and the environment is well--beautiful! If it's important to you to work hard, feel a part of and to feel satisfied at the end of the day, then this is the place for you.

ConsFrom where I sit? None.

Good to Learn At, Quick to Plateau and Become Stifled

Digital Designer, Front-End Developer (Former Employee) Portsmouth, NH

ProsLocation
    Benefit package
    Bonuses
    Potential for company growth
    Strong UI/UX team

ConsThe company is bogged down by an overbearing network of bureaucracy. For being a tech company, it is ironically slow to adopt new and forward thinking platforms and standards - their corporate website is a glaring example of this sort of backwards thinking.

Numbers and illusion of company gains are valued more than clear and honest communication with prospects and customers. Expect to have processes ignored and overstepped by management. The company does a good job at squashing any initiative or enthusiasm one would otherwise have for their position.

Advice to Senior ManagementResign. The company needs less of you and more of those in specialized fields.

VP Development

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Portsmouth, NH

ProsNone what so ever! Oh Yes, if you can say "Yes Sir!" you will be a star.

ConsNo Vision or Goals. Very tactical no strategy. Treat workforce like an accordion. The CEO behavior is deplorable.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand software development 101 or remove the name "Technologies" from the name.

Worked for Bottomline Technologies? Contribute to the Community!