Bottomline Technologies

Updated September 14, 2014
2.8

Bottomline Technologies President, CEO, and Director Rob Eberle
Rob Eberle

Pros
  • There are great people to work with and the benefits are top notch (in 5 reviews)

• Good benefits, free fruit in the summer, free ice cream (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • They talk of 'work-life balance', but they do not walk the walk (in 7 reviews)

• Too many VP's and not strong enough middle management (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

26 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Company/Great Experience!

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

I feel fortunate to have been a part of the college hire program at Bottomline Technologies. I have been there just over a year and have had a very positive experience. Through this program, I have had the opportunity not only to meet with senior management but have also received a promotion. Bottomline Technologies has been both an advocate for my career and supportive monetarily. I look forward to many more years at Bottomline.

Cons

I do not have any complaints regarding Bottomline Technologies.

Great example of how NOT to run a company.

Former Employee - Sales  in  Portsmouth, NH
    Former Employee - Sales in Portsmouth, NH

I worked at Bottomline Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Bottomline has a pretty good benefits plan for a company of its size.

Cons

CEO does an all employee call each quarter to discuss company financials - complete with cow bells, bad jokes, and laugh tracks. Something similar to a very bad vaudeville act. CEO likes to talk about how well the company is doing..... then cancels bonus payouts at will, even when the company achieves its financial targets.

Create a real growth strategy that is strategic - and not one that focuses on buying poor performing companies in adjacent markets at a discount - just to prop up near term quarterly earnings.

Nice Company and people, but..

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Portsmouth, NH
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great corporate philosophy, great ethic of working 'with and for' each other, good pride in their work.

Cons

It's a sweatshop. No other way to put it. They talk of 'work-life balance', but they do not walk the walk. Very long hours are frequently expected.

If you say you believe in work life balance, practice that.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Bottomline Technologies where incompetence meets ignorance

Current Employee - Applications Developer  in  Portsmouth, NH
    Current Employee - Applications Developer in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits ...good locations across the US and UK . Below the VP level lots of great people. A good place for someone to start their career if only to see what not to do.

Cons

Environment as mentioned in numerous reviews is toxic. Sr management is borderline incompetent and without question arrogant and ignorant. The amount of wasted opportunity is beyond imagination. If you NEVER want to feel accomplished or successful you will fit right in. As soon as I have an option I will move on like most of the other good people.

To the CEO we all know your genuinely passionate about business and people but unfortunately your expressed ideals are not realized in your company.
    To the CEO beware of false prophets ... !
    To the CEO it's your job to know if your Sr. Management is effective ... If you held yourself to the standards you promote you would be a "C player" when evaluated on your direct reports effectiveness
    To the rest of Sr. Management and certainly to the newly anointed or promoted ... You really need to step away before you ruin the company ... The honeymoon is over the first part of solving the problem is knowing that you are the problem.

Fast Paced Growing Company

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are a ton of positives at Bottomline. The most important one are the people. This is an amazing group of very smart and very motivated people.

Bottomline is growing at an amazing rate
    Lots of opportunities for motivated employees to move up
    Lots of high quality very smart people to work with
    You will be challenged and you will grow your skills if you are successful here
    Great culture
    No boundaries between teams. People work together
    Amazing location in Portsmouth NH
    One of the best college hire programs I've ever seen
    I've personally recommended Bottomline to several friends
    My daughter loves the annual bring your kid to work day
    The ice cream truck shows up every other Friday all summer

Cons

Bottomline is not for everyone. This company is made up of top performers and people that are looking to go home at 4:40 won't be happy here. Be sure you are looking to join a company that's growing this fast before joining Bottomline. If you don't want a challenge this is not the right place for you.

Keep growing your pool of talented people. Invest even more in training and mentoring programs. The ones in place today are working.

Building a career

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I’ve worked at Bottomline for over six years now, and I can say that the environment is high-energy, positive, and supportive. At all levels, there is an emphasis on putting the customers first, and supporting your team and co-workers (we’d call it “working with and for each other”). For the entire time I’ve worked here, the company has been aggressively growing by pursuing larger customers, acquiring new businesses, and expanding its offerings to capture more business. The company has grown significantly (check the market cap), and continues to push along that track. What that means for employees is a fast paced environment that top performers will be comfortable in.

With all of that said, people at all levels take pride in the company’s achievement, and management makes everyone aware of the business results and how every person contributes to our success.

Salary and Bonuses - Ample, opportunities to ensure that you're where you feel you should be
    Benefits - Excellent, can't say enough about the medical, vision, dental, life ins, etc.

Cons

These are not "Cons", but a reality check:

When considering Bottomline, don’t mistake it for a “typical” medium size company that’s coasting on past successes. The pace is fast.

The company has high expectations, and those who have high expectations of themselves will succeed most here.

A wonderful place to work; I am proud to be a part of BT

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Positive, forward-thinking and creative environment
    -Excellent benefits and employee perks
    -Great people!
    -Bottomline has a very strong focus on giving back to our community!
    -Employees are valued and respected
    -Fast-paced and a positive, challenging environment

Cons

No specific negatives; as with most companies, communication between departments and/or management could be improved.

Working at BT

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer  in  Portsmouth, NH
    Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Portsmouth, NH

I worked at Bottomline Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

a. Good benefits; b. Good salary; c. Outstanding U.S. locations; d. Good product lines, which support a variety of industries.

Cons

a. Too many lay offs; b. Management (at times) uses a knee jerk reaction to things. c. Don't even try to talk to the Office Supervisor in Alpharetta--runs the place like a Prison of War camp.

a. Trust and rely on employees--they have a lot to offer.

Good place to work at

Former Employee - QA Engineer  in  Portsmouth, NH
    Former Employee - QA Engineer in Portsmouth, NH

I worked at Bottomline Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

Location, upper management were very good. Quarterly meetings were typically fun.

Cons

Getting laid off due to business reasons

Look to keep good people internally if there is an opportunity for them to move internally to stay employed and contributing to the company.

Fabulous place to work in every aspect!

Current Employee - Enrollment Specialist  in  Portsmouth, NH
    Current Employee - Enrollment Specialist in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

I look forward to coming to work every day. Why? Because Bottomline really cares about its employees. I have the feeling that my opinion matters from the CEO, to Vice Presidents and Managers as well as my co-workers. The culture is built around "working with and for each other" and I have seen this consistently throughout my time here. The message I hear from the senior staff is that I am doing a good job and that I am a valued employee. Who doesn't like recognitiion for a job well done? Moreover, it's clear that there is room for growth here--when a talent is recognized, management acts on it. In other words the focus is on the strengths of our skill set, rather than our shortcomings and then they run with that which makes it fun and rewarding. Employees share a strong work ethic--I always feel like it's team work and that we're moving toward a goal together. Managers are approachable, colleagues are a pleasure, the benefits are very generous--"think Matching 401K" and the environment is well--beautiful! If it's important to you to work hard, feel a part of and to feel satisfied at the end of the day, then this is the place for you.

Cons

From where I sit? None.

Worked for Bottomline Technologies? Contribute to the Community!