Bottomline Technologies

Updated October 20, 2014
2.9

Bottomline Technologies President, CEO, and Director Rob Eberle
Rob Eberle

Pros
  • Bottomline has a pretty good benefits plan for a company of its size (in 5 reviews)

• There are great people to work with and the benefits are top notch (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • They talk of 'work-life balance', but they do not walk the walk (in 8 reviews)

• No clear process for comp time when long hours to hit deliverables is a reality (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company with promise but no work/life balance

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Flexible work schedule
    - Working from home
    - Free fruit and beverages (depending on office)

Cons

- Work/Life Balance
    - Product Directions transitions are abrupt
    - Communication from top doesn't necessarily marching orders from below
    - Standard vacation time isn't competitive in current market space

There are a lot of positive things that are occurring however there is some work to be done in area of communication between different levels of management to ensure the roll out plan for decisions are fully understood. It's best to do this in a very short period of time so folks aren't left out of the loop for too long. There are ways to leave employees feeling excited about coming to work outside of money. Growth plans are definitely something that is missing.

A Great Place for People with Drive and Commitment to Delight Customers!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Amazing people committed to working with each other to drive a successful outcome for our customers. This organization gets it! It's a fast paced environment with career growth opportunities for those who take initiative. One does not need to be a manager or executive to see a problem or an opportunity and engage people in addressing it.

While I do recommend the company to friends for employment, I do not recommend just any friend. Fit is imperative. Just as it would be for another company. The company has a culture of communication (information sharing), coaching & learning, integrity and PERFORMANCE! A significant attraction factor for me.

Regardless of one's role, they have access to leadership and others throughout the company.

This company is a great community player and employees eagerly participate in ways to contribute to various charitable causes. The company also hosts events for employees' children: Bring your children to work day where departments facilitate prepared learning experiences for the kids and they rotate through the sessions for a half day, ending with pizza and ice cream. Halloween, kids come to trick or treat and the departments participate in a theme competition.

Cons

Con for those who do not have high tolerance for ambiguity and change. Those that are successful stay focused on why they are here...to delight customers and win in the market! They are successful because they embrace change, they don't sit on the sidelines; they are okay not having all of the answers today. They focus outward not inward. These disciplines are essential capabilities to be successful in our growth - oriented company that believes Amazing people can do amazing things.

Continue driving customer delight through actions that pass the test of our company's guiding principles.

Excellent and rewarding work environment!

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

One of the biggest pro's are the benefits. They are robust and affordable. Bonuses are paid quarterly and they are generous. Hard work is recognized, but you have to work hard! There are long hours when the situation calls for it, however; they are also flexible with time off, sick time, comp time, etc. After reading some reviews, I was concerned but, knowing my own situation, I wonder if those people actually spoke to their managers regarding their circumstances. I can't imagine having to chose work over family, and I do not see that, even in my position, where I am exposed to many departments and many levels of employees. Having to work after hours or hours that are not usually defined as working hours is sometimes required as some of the work that is necessary cannot be done during that time. This is the nature of the business. You can't upgrade software during business hours, if you don't know that prior to coming to work for a software company, then that's a problem.

Cons

Opportunities for job growth outside of the corporate headquarters are not heard of often. The employees are responsible for their own development, and although that is also a Pro, knowing what positions or career paths are available is sometimes not as clear.

My advice to management is to do your best to keep the a positive work dynamic. Take the time to listen to the people actually doing the work. You may have a superstar on the team, but just not the "right team". Having the right employees in the right team is a win-win situation. Having a person with great skills but doesn't work great with the rest of the team really isn't beneficial to anyone.

A great place to experience growth and challenges

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Bottomline is a growing, fast-paced company that provides a challenging environment for those that are up to it.

Cons

The experience of working at Bottomline is NOT for everyone given the rapid pace we all work at.

Great Company for A players

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very much client delight focused, compensates well if you are making an impact.

Cons

if you are not good, does not take long to get fired

Great Company/Great Experience!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I feel fortunate to have been a part of the college hire program at Bottomline Technologies. I have been there just over a year and have had a very positive experience. Through this program, I have had the opportunity not only to meet with senior management but have also received a promotion. Bottomline Technologies has been both an advocate for my career and supportive monetarily. I look forward to many more years at Bottomline.

Cons

I do not have any complaints regarding Bottomline Technologies.

great place to start your career as a college hire

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time

Pros

- 5-week training program with students from other schools; gain visibility to all business functions and vision
    - great leaders in the work place that nurture you
    - energetic people, open to questions and conversations
    - innovative business initiatives
    - work from home, depending on your job/day
    - great employment benefits
    - shower, espresso machine, keurigs, fruit baskets, ice cream on fridays, other fun things

Cons

- no cafeteria (but there's one in 1-min walking distance) or gym

- doing great!

Management issues a huge barrier to success

I worked at Bottomline Technologies full-time

Pros

This is a solid company that is in growth and acquisition mode, so it presents an opportunity for job security if you are in the right division with a supportive manager. Benefits were pretty standard, as far as PTO, insurance and 401k. There are opportunities for flexible hours and remote employment, which is beneficial for some.

Cons

From lack of mentoring, guidance and leadership to outright intimidation and very unprofessional internal communications, there were many red flags to indicate that this position working with the LegalExchange product was going to be a rough ride. There was an undercurrent of dissatisfaction and concern throughout the team which lead to an environment where co-workers were unwilling to take ownership of issues and willing to quickly throw others under the bus. Mysterious "lay-offs" and transfers left you wondering what the future held for you at Bottomline. Topped off by a lower than average salary, extremely long hours and ridiculous stress, it was an easy decision to leave. No one needs to be bullied in the work place.

Seek feedback from your employees and identify those who are unable to lead through positive example and position their team for success. This company has a bright future and should not be hampered by bad management.

Dissapointing Experience

I worked at Bottomline Technologies

Pros

Great pay, good benefits, stable and growing, I learned a lot and gained skills I wouldn't have had I not worked here.

Cons

very long hours - often with no lunch breaks, not enough resources to get the required work done, unprofessional HR department, dishonest leader

Listen to and develop your employees. Hire resources necessary to handle workload. Show some integrity. Practice what you preach. I do not feel this is a company that "works with and for each other" as they tout it to be.

Downward spiral

Current Employee - Manager in Portsmouth, NH
    Current Employee - Manager in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are good. Vacation time is good

Cons

Managers have no guidance. No open door policy with HR. No performance reviews. No job descriptions. No leadership or regard for employee growth. Many employees are underutilized.

Trust in your employees. Innovate the products. Hire leaders as managers. Recognize that your employees are your greatest asset.

Bottomline Technologies Photos