Bottomline Technologies

Updated December 5, 2014
3.6

Bottomline Technologies President, CEO, and Director Rob Eberle
Rob Eberle

Pros
  • Good benefits, free fruit in the summer, free ice cream (in 7 reviews)

• Employees are go getters and want to impress and succeed and great benefits (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • They talk of 'work-life balance', but they do not walk the walk (in 9 reviews)

• Very long hours are frequently expected (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Great career opportunities

I worked at Bottomline Technologies

Pros

It was a great learning experience and the co workers were phenomenal. The management team was very receptive to ideas and did not shy away from helping and answering questions when the need arose. I would recommend the company to anyone who is looking for a sales or marketing job. They were also very helpful in reviewing performance and letting you know that you were doing a good job. The feedback was great. Its a fairly big company, but not too big that you get lost in the shuffle. Most of the people I worked with were friendly and always willing to help.

Cons

There were not too many downsides to my time there. I know certain people worked a lot of hours.

None

Middle management lacks ability to grow. Petty people who can't manage in a bigger environment. Hurts everyone

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies

Pros

Strong Exec team that has grown the Company (sales wise) over the last 5-6 years.

Cons

Middle group, especially marketing and sales don't have the ability to manage their teams or be real Directors. Prefer to sacrifice their own staff then face their inability to grow as managers and executives. Amazing turnover over great people who are then blamed for the inability of the people that manage them. Too bad. Great overall, but wrong team to grow with.

Need a team that can manage a $250 m organization - Top can't do it all. Folks who have 'grown' with the position can't do the job. Time to bring in an new bench.

One of the worst places to work in the area

Current Employee - Computer Person in Portsmouth, NH
    Current Employee - Computer Person in Portsmouth, NH

Pros

Benefits
    Nice work area
    In tax free New Hampshire

Cons

•Company is run like lots of small companies with head of Line of Business making all decisions
    • People and leadership at one Line of Business has no idea what the other Line of Business does, except at the very top
    •Management micromanages people
    •I was dept head and no idea what my budget was, even when I asked about it
    • Does not have the right infrastructure and processes (HR, IT, Accounting) in place for company size.
    • High employee turnover. Would rather fire people and hire new ones, than proved mentoring and employment development.
    •The compensation is highly based on stock options and grants. Management’s compensation is based on running up stock and then selling it.

Hire professionals to solidify company processes.
    Recognize that you’re a $150M company, not a $15M company.

Could be better, could be worse....

I worked at Bottomline Technologies

Pros

Local company in NH seacoast area, lots of opportunity in the software development industry. Good place to work for "techies".

Cons

Organization is running a bit too lean therefore it provides a poor work life balance. Methodologies need to be refined and adopted company wide to be effective.

Invest time and money into the overall business's infrastructure and take the time to fully document your products to ensure the wheel does not need to be re-invented every time you implement your products to your customers.

the is for and about the share holders; investment in employees is limited

I worked at Bottomline Technologies

Pros

The health insurance plan is very good.
    The allowance for extra personal time off is really good.
    Most people (peers) were really nice to work with.

Cons

the company is only about making money for the stock holders, now; not much long term vision.
    Pay was low for the work expected from employees. management, in general is not open to the employee base.

Stay away from this place if you want a life and reapect

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Portsmouth, NH
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies

Pros

health insurance ok - nice grounds

Cons

Total lack of respect for person. Working weekends expected, else job in jeopardy. No feedback about performance, even when requested.

Realize the is the people that work there - and not only those in management

Disregard for employee success; knee jerk management actions.

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies

Pros

- good product portfolio, although trailing competitors in some aspects
    - excellent technical support; very responsive to customers
    - good benefits

Cons

- short-term view of employees - "what have you done for me lately" attitude
    - poor training program for new employees - more like baptism by fire
    - management did not support employees
    - management would talk about employees behind their backs
    - employees viewed as expendable

Invest in employees training and growth. Find ways to support them instead of undercutting them. Decide on a strategy and stick with it. Changing strategies and laying employees off every 6 months is no way to be a successful company over the long term.

Don't work here

I worked at Bottomline Technologies

Pros

Co-workers were great to work with.

Cons

Technology is outdated and overweight
    Unrealistic deadlines
    Company makes up for cost of doing business with low pay and demands to work many extra hours every week

Invest in building a great product to sell instead of selling unattainable solutions - you're constantly playing a game of catch-up and eventually you WILL fall behind. The pace that's being set is unmaintainable.

A great opportunity to grow at an organization aggressively pushing for success

Current Employee - Director, Product Marketing in Portsmouth, NH
    Current Employee - Director, Product Marketing in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies

Pros

A leader in a critical market space
    An organization that recognizes when pieces to it's product/solution portfolio are missing and purchases market leaders to close the holes
    Provides the opportunity to learn and offers recognition and reward for success
    Great benefits plan
    Very supportive when personnel have a family-related crisis

Cons

Not for everyone. Like GE, Apple, and other leading orgs, expects "A" players and performance. That means "work/life balance" isn't always balanced BUT, like the other companies mentioned, management is putting in the same effort and hours.
    Growth has been short-term and extensive - not all middle management has grown at the same speed

Make sure resource levels and organizational leadership match the portfolio growth and expanded internal and external expectations
    Recognize that the company wins when all the architects of success share in the rewards - it drives the organization to further excellence.
    Corporate longevity is only a positive if personal growth matches corporate growth - managerial excellence at all levels needs to match corporate goals

Challenge and Opportunity go hand in hand

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies

Pros

There is opportunity at BT, I've lived it. Starting with the company five years ago I now make more money than I ever have in my life. My daughter started as an intern this year, was hired in early and is now making a fair salary and has both a technical career path and is excelling at the work and excited about her future. Would I like to be compensated more?..Of course...but it seem's more than a bit naive to have an expectation that a global, public corporation is going to weight everything towards the individual. Any company in this category is responsible to the shareholders and has to try to strike a balance between revenue and expense.

The executive management did a great job of continuing to drive profits during an extremely difficult economic downturn, keeping the company in business as other's were closing their doors. Was that challenging for the worker?...less so than not having a job...and in fact, we've been able to grow the company substantially in these last years, which does open the door for greater opportunities.

This is software development, with a great client base of some of the largest corporations in the world. Are the hours challenging sometimes?...Yes, but if people want a 9 to 5, check in - check out position...they probably should look to another industry to meet those need's.

The greatest asset of BT is it's people. I've never worked with a more dedicated, intelligent and caring group of peers. At the end of the day, however long that may be...I know I've been part of a team of excellence unlike any other...and yes, just as high caliber as any of the largest companies now making software on the planet.

Cons

One could always say compensation could be better, but only each individual can really say what that would be for them.
    No clear process for comp time when long hours to hit deliverables is a reality.
    Not enough focus on emerging changes in the technology and being far ahead of the competition related to those technologies....example...where will java based software be in 10 years?...I would hazard a guess that it will be completely different...it's great to be aligning with the move to mobile technologies etc....but what will be driving the industry and put the company ahead of the pack 5- 10 years from now? As an evolving company, there need's to be more investment in the long range tech future.

Listen to your middle-management tier....they are the backbone of the success of BT and allow them dialogue without filters...perhaps create a regular forum for such dialogue, a "BT think tank" , where they can share the intel. They know where the challenges are and addressing those challenges are what create the opportunities for continued success.

Bottomline Technologies Photos