Bottomline Technologies

Updated November 18, 2014
3.7

Bottomline Technologies President, CEO, and Director Rob Eberle
Rob Eberle

Pros
  • There are great people to work with and the benefits are top notch (in 6 reviews)

• Bottomline has a pretty good benefits plan for a company of its size (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • They talk of 'work-life balance', but they do not walk the walk (in 8 reviews)

• No clear process for comp time when long hours to hit deliverables is a reality (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Amazing company to work for!

Current Employee - Paymode-X Vendor Advocate in Portsmouth, NH
    Current Employee - Paymode-X Vendor Advocate in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Bottomline is an amazing company to work for as they care very much for their employees at work and outside of work. They uphold a "live and work with and for each other" enviroment inside of work and out. They truly mean it. They have outstanding benefits and compensation is above and beyond. They do not sell you short on anything. Rob cares very much about his employees as well. The people I work with are all there to help you succeed and to keep the wonderful culture of BT ramped up. If someone doesn't have a smile give them your smile and always be positive. I love this company. They also promote employee growth. They are very supportive of any movement you want to make in the company to advance your career there.

Cons

I haven't had any challenges present themselves since I started working here. As long as one keeps a positive outlook in life and work they will find success at this company.

Keep up the great culture!

Valued, validated, and happy

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I've been at BT for close to two years. I've never been happier in a job. And I’m not hard to please, I usually just like working, I’m happy to just have something to keep my brain busy, that’s all I really ask. This is different.

I actually love everything about it. My coworkers are amazing, I’ve made amazing friends here, I love what we do for our customers, there is an amazing sense of teamwork, I feel intellectually stimulated, and every time I visit the office I get hugs and meet new people and have fantastic conversations.

Cons

Understanding how to communicate is essential. There will always be more to do than is possible, so it's really important to understand communicating about priorities. I've never been asked to do something impossible, but I put in a lot of effort to ensure that I'm spending my time on what's important, and communicating what can't get done until when.

Continue the positive reinforcement of wanted employee behavior and accompilshment. This has been a big deal for me and getting this validation motivates me every day.

I have been with BT for 5 years and in 3 different roles - each one with greater opportunity and responsibility.

Current Employee - Vice President in Portsmouth, NH
    Current Employee - Vice President in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

BT has some of the best people I've worked with. Teams I have worked on are always willing to help you and collaborate to achieve common goals, whether business teams or technical teams.

Cons

BT is great for people with an entrepreneurial mindset - those who are able to think strategically and act tactically and like both. If you are willing to roll up your sleeves and get involved in the details, while also being able to balance longer-term goals, you will do well. If this is not you, then you may struggle to achieve success here.

A Great Place for People with Drive and Commitment to Delight Customers!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Amazing people committed to working with each other to drive a successful outcome for our customers. This organization gets it! It's a fast paced environment with career growth opportunities for those who take initiative. One does not need to be a manager or executive to see a problem or an opportunity and engage people in addressing it.

While I do recommend the company to friends for employment, I do not recommend just any friend. Fit is imperative. Just as it would be for another company. The company has a culture of communication (information sharing), coaching & learning, integrity and PERFORMANCE! A significant attraction factor for me.

Regardless of one's role, they have access to leadership and others throughout the company.

This company is a great community player and employees eagerly participate in ways to contribute to various charitable causes. The company also hosts events for employees' children: Bring your children to work day where departments facilitate prepared learning experiences for the kids and they rotate through the sessions for a half day, ending with pizza and ice cream. Halloween, kids come to trick or treat and the departments participate in a theme competition.

Cons

Con for those who do not have high tolerance for ambiguity and change. Those that are successful stay focused on why they are here...to delight customers and win in the market! They are successful because they embrace change, they don't sit on the sidelines; they are okay not having all of the answers today. They focus outward not inward. These disciplines are essential capabilities to be successful in our growth - oriented company that believes Amazing people can do amazing things.

Continue driving customer delight through actions that pass the test of our company's guiding principles.

A great place to experience growth and challenges

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Bottomline is a growing, fast-paced company that provides a challenging environment for those that are up to it.

Cons

The experience of working at Bottomline is NOT for everyone given the rapid pace we all work at.

Many good things, many challenges

I worked at Bottomline Technologies

Pros

Lots of great people and a real culture of working with and for each other. Benefits are above average, stock purchase plan has been very profitable.

Cons

Not enough people which requires the working with and for each other mentality. Its hard to get real product development done. Investment in employees is limited.

invest more in making products work better and easier. Invest more in growing staff. Even the A players need attention and opportunity from the company to stay an A player.

Great company with promise but no work/life balance

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Flexible work schedule
    - Working from home
    - Free fruit and beverages (depending on office)

Cons

- Work/Life Balance
    - Product Directions transitions are abrupt
    - Communication from top doesn't necessarily marching orders from below
    - Standard vacation time isn't competitive in current market space

There are a lot of positive things that are occurring however there is some work to be done in area of communication between different levels of management to ensure the roll out plan for decisions are fully understood. It's best to do this in a very short period of time so folks aren't left out of the loop for too long. There are ways to leave employees feeling excited about coming to work outside of money. Growth plans are definitely something that is missing.

Great Company/Great Experience!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I feel fortunate to have been a part of the college hire program at Bottomline Technologies. I have been there just over a year and have had a very positive experience. Through this program, I have had the opportunity not only to meet with senior management but have also received a promotion. Bottomline Technologies has been both an advocate for my career and supportive monetarily. I look forward to many more years at Bottomline.

Cons

I do not have any complaints regarding Bottomline Technologies.

great place to start your career as a college hire

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time

Pros

- 5-week training program with students from other schools; gain visibility to all business functions and vision
    - great leaders in the work place that nurture you
    - energetic people, open to questions and conversations
    - innovative business initiatives
    - work from home, depending on your job/day
    - great employment benefits
    - shower, espresso machine, keurigs, fruit baskets, ice cream on fridays, other fun things

Cons

- no cafeteria (but there's one in 1-min walking distance) or gym

- doing great!

Management issues a huge barrier to success

I worked at Bottomline Technologies full-time

Pros

This is a solid company that is in growth and acquisition mode, so it presents an opportunity for job security if you are in the right division with a supportive manager. Benefits were pretty standard, as far as PTO, insurance and 401k. There are opportunities for flexible hours and remote employment, which is beneficial for some.

Cons

From lack of mentoring, guidance and leadership to outright intimidation and very unprofessional internal communications, there were many red flags to indicate that this position working with the LegalExchange product was going to be a rough ride. There was an undercurrent of dissatisfaction and concern throughout the team which lead to an environment where co-workers were unwilling to take ownership of issues and willing to quickly throw others under the bus. Mysterious "lay-offs" and transfers left you wondering what the future held for you at Bottomline. Topped off by a lower than average salary, extremely long hours and ridiculous stress, it was an easy decision to leave. No one needs to be bullied in the work place.

Seek feedback from your employees and identify those who are unable to lead through positive example and position their team for success. This company has a bright future and should not be hampered by bad management.

Bottomline Technologies Photos