Bottomline Technologies

Updated September 14, 2014
2.7

Bottomline Technologies President, CEO, and Director Rob Eberle
Rob Eberle

Pros
  • There are great people to work with and the benefits are top notch (in 5 reviews)

• Good benefits, free fruit in the summer, free ice cream (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • They talk of 'work-life balance', but they do not walk the walk (in 7 reviews)

• Too many VP's and not strong enough middle management (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Bottomline Technologies is a family wrecker

I worked at Bottomline Technologies full-time

Pros

Free fruit, free ice cream truck in the summer, ok for people new to the job market who have no sense of their worth and are willing to work impossible hours without overtime pay. Good employee stock purchase plan. Employee of the quarter recognition. Community giving.
    It's possible to survive here as long as you don't look at the outside employment opportunities.

Cons

The cost of this job is all too often one's family, marriage, or health. Even at the VP level people end up having to choose between keeping their family together or keeping their job. People get so overworked that it's common to get stopped in the hallway to hear employee griping. The HR department gives lots of lip service to quality of life but I the following are true stories of former employees :
    An employee in building services was called back early from recovering from a tumor removal to pack up boxes for laid off employees and then he was laid off when he was done.
    An employee was forced to choose between being with her mother the day that she died from cancer or lose her job. It was the end of the quarter and the end of the quarter is a hostage situation at BT.
    Employees are regularly denied breaks at the end of the quarter simply because each quarter is poorly planned. Employees are often demeaned by having to ship software that isn't ready to be deployed, simply to get revenue recognition.
    The CEO is all about image. It's not unusual for him to hint to employees that they should put positive reviews up here. I cringed when I saw that he publicized the murder of an employee in the Portsmouth, NH office while at the same time the company could be cold blooded to employees with ill family members. "FMLA? What's that?"
    There is little to no career path. Managers treat annual reviews like they are a necessary evil and executives are often immune from wage freezes.
    Once you leave BT and go to another employer you realize how undervalued you were and how poor the quality of work/life balance was. The CEO used to be known for parking his Porsche in the community college lot so that the employees wouldn't get a hint of how well off he was. Surfing the insider trading boards is an exercise in masochism that some employees indulge in.
    The HR department doesn't participate in the employee quality of life. They seem to be there to defend the company against lawsuits.
    When the CEO reads a book that inspires him he'll change the organization massively and sometimes negatively without getting employee feedback.

Leave. The "working with and for each other" line is insulting and disingenuous. One has to be careful walking in the hall to not have the CEO walk into you as if you are invisible. The employees have families. Stop trying to win awards and trying to get the world to believe that you are a great place to work and step aside and let someone who actually values employees to be in charge. Get rid of the ice cubes that run the HR department. There was a big downgrade in leadership several years ago and the promise of this employer is gone.
    Shame on the leadership for strong arming employees to write positive reviews. It's funny to see the clues that they leave to make sure that the leader knows that it was they who wrote the review. Stop telling the employees how much cash you have on hand in one breath and to tell them that it isn't for raises in the next. It demonstrates extreme disconnect.
    Headhunters used to look me in the eye and say, "how did you manage to stay there so long?" The better question is why?

Run away

I worked at Bottomline Technologies

Pros

Good benefits, free fruit in the summer, free ice cream.

Cons

If you want your ideas, suggestions, and work to go unnoticed if your not in Portsmouth then this is the place for you. They are a national company trying to be a global company. When you have a distributed workforce you must utilize them to your advantage, this company doesn't know how to do this from middle management all the way up. Getting someone to respond via email is the most trying task I have ever seen in a company, I would have emails go days without a response and this from my own team. Since I was a remote user and not in Portsmouth there was never a feeling of being welcome by the majority of people. I watched and listened to people actually undermine the CIO, so there is no respect for the management at all.

Go back to school and learn how to run a global company. You may be one of the biggest players in your market but you have a lot to learn.

Good company but lots of room for growth

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

Employees are go getters and want to impress and succeed and great benefits

Cons

There is a disconnect between management and employees. There is a desire to be a global company but the knowledge to do it successfully is severely lacking. There is very little sharing of information between employees and groups as people silo information to ensure their job, which causes lots of issues.

Look through your employee base and find people who have worked for successful and unsuccessful global companies to see what knowledge they can bring to your company so all can succeed.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lousy place to work

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Portland, ME
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Portland, ME

I worked at Bottomline Technologies full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

none that I can think of.

Cons

Understaffed and frequent turnover of employees due to an increased workload.

Get your priorities straight. Settle on a workable plan and finish it before changing your mind.

Fast Paced Growing Company

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are a ton of positives at Bottomline. The most important one are the people. This is an amazing group of very smart and very motivated people.

Bottomline is growing at an amazing rate
    Lots of opportunities for motivated employees to move up
    Lots of high quality very smart people to work with
    You will be challenged and you will grow your skills if you are successful here
    Great culture
    No boundaries between teams. People work together
    Amazing location in Portsmouth NH
    One of the best college hire programs I've ever seen
    I've personally recommended Bottomline to several friends
    My daughter loves the annual bring your kid to work day
    The ice cream truck shows up every other Friday all summer

Cons

Bottomline is not for everyone. This company is made up of top performers and people that are looking to go home at 4:40 won't be happy here. Be sure you are looking to join a company that's growing this fast before joining Bottomline. If you don't want a challenge this is not the right place for you.

Keep growing your pool of talented people. Invest even more in training and mentoring programs. The ones in place today are working.

Building a career

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I’ve worked at Bottomline for over six years now, and I can say that the environment is high-energy, positive, and supportive. At all levels, there is an emphasis on putting the customers first, and supporting your team and co-workers (we’d call it “working with and for each other”). For the entire time I’ve worked here, the company has been aggressively growing by pursuing larger customers, acquiring new businesses, and expanding its offerings to capture more business. The company has grown significantly (check the market cap), and continues to push along that track. What that means for employees is a fast paced environment that top performers will be comfortable in.

With all of that said, people at all levels take pride in the company’s achievement, and management makes everyone aware of the business results and how every person contributes to our success.

Salary and Bonuses - Ample, opportunities to ensure that you're where you feel you should be
    Benefits - Excellent, can't say enough about the medical, vision, dental, life ins, etc.

Cons

These are not "Cons", but a reality check:

When considering Bottomline, don’t mistake it for a “typical” medium size company that’s coasting on past successes. The pace is fast.

The company has high expectations, and those who have high expectations of themselves will succeed most here.

A wonderful place to work; I am proud to be a part of BT

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Positive, forward-thinking and creative environment
    -Excellent benefits and employee perks
    -Great people!
    -Bottomline has a very strong focus on giving back to our community!
    -Employees are valued and respected
    -Fast-paced and a positive, challenging environment

Cons

No specific negatives; as with most companies, communication between departments and/or management could be improved.

Working at BT

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer  in  Portsmouth, NH
    Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Portsmouth, NH

I worked at Bottomline Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

a. Good benefits; b. Good salary; c. Outstanding U.S. locations; d. Good product lines, which support a variety of industries.

Cons

a. Too many lay offs; b. Management (at times) uses a knee jerk reaction to things. c. Don't even try to talk to the Office Supervisor in Alpharetta--runs the place like a Prison of War camp.

a. Trust and rely on employees--they have a lot to offer.

Good place to work at

Former Employee - QA Engineer  in  Portsmouth, NH
    Former Employee - QA Engineer in Portsmouth, NH

I worked at Bottomline Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

Location, upper management were very good. Quarterly meetings were typically fun.

Cons

Getting laid off due to business reasons

Look to keep good people internally if there is an opportunity for them to move internally to stay employed and contributing to the company.

Used to be OK, but not now

Current Employee - Senior Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

For the most part the non managerial people are good to work with, however there has been an exodus of good hard working people over the past few years. I can't say the same thing about senior management however. Health insurance is good. Basically if you are a junior level person and want to get some experience and can keep your head down and out of the way of senior management it's not too bad of a place. I wouldn't recommend that anyone stay longer than 5 years (get some experience and get out) or try to climb the ladder unless you are a good yes man and have a talet for stabbing your peers in the back.

Cons

The culture is really toxic at the higher levels - you need to constantly watch your back. The company motto is 'With and for each other' which could not be further from the truth. This all really stems from the CEO and flows down so until there is a change at the top I don't see the company culture changing.

The atmosphere is really driving good people away which is too bad - the strength of the company could really be improved if there was a shift towards listening to differing opinions instead of rewarding those who parrot the same ideas senior managment has already decided on.

Worked for Bottomline Technologies? Contribute to the Community!