Bottomline Technologies

Updated September 14, 2014
2.7

Bottomline Technologies President, CEO, and Director Rob Eberle
Rob Eberle

Pros
  • There are great people to work with and the benefits are top notch (in 5 reviews)

• Good benefits, free fruit in the summer, free ice cream (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • They talk of 'work-life balance', but they do not walk the walk (in 7 reviews)

• Too many VP's and not strong enough middle management (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Best place I've ever worked

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies

Pros

Growing company with lots of opportunities for those willing to take ownership and drive things.
    No politics between the top level leaders. They support each other and each others groups.
    Management cares about their employees and try to do the right thing
    Culture is a top priority for all managers in the company. They actual run programs and training to keep the culture going.
    Benefits are better than most companies in the area

Cons

You'll need to work hard to keep up with your coworkers here.
    If your not working hard you won't last long

This company is exploding with growth and so many places loose their culture when this happens. Stay focused on the culture and make sure you keep it as you grow.

I strongly recommend Bottomline Technologies!

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies

Pros

I'm a current BT employee ( 6+ years) and it's been the best job I've ever had. My job has offered both professional and personal rewards. I enjoy working with the multiple groups at BT and there is a definite sense of teamwork. When I accomplish a personal goal, I feel good that I've contributed to the success of my team and BT. I can personally attest to the strength of BT's health benefits and unwavering support of my coworkers and executive leadership. The phrase "what can I do to help" is sincere at the personal and professional level. BT's consistent growth in turbulent economic times is a testimony to their strong leadership and I look forward to the years to come.

Cons

I would like to meet with my team in person on a more frequent basis.

A great opportunity to grow at an organization aggressively pushing for success

Current Employee - Director, Product Marketing  in  Portsmouth, NH
    Current Employee - Director, Product Marketing in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies

Pros

A leader in a critical market space
    An organization that recognizes when pieces to it's product/solution portfolio are missing and purchases market leaders to close the holes
    Provides the opportunity to learn and offers recognition and reward for success
    Great benefits plan
    Very supportive when personnel have a family-related crisis

Cons

Not for everyone. Like GE, Apple, and other leading orgs, expects "A" players and performance. That means "work/life balance" isn't always balanced BUT, like the other companies mentioned, management is putting in the same effort and hours.
    Growth has been short-term and extensive - not all middle management has grown at the same speed

Make sure resource levels and organizational leadership match the portfolio growth and expanded internal and external expectations
    Recognize that the company wins when all the architects of success share in the rewards - it drives the organization to further excellence.
    Corporate longevity is only a positive if personal growth matches corporate growth - managerial excellence at all levels needs to match corporate goals

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Company for A players

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies for more than 5 years

Pros

Very much client delight focused, compensates well if you are making an impact.

Cons

if you are not good, does not take long to get fired

Building a career

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I’ve worked at Bottomline for over six years now, and I can say that the environment is high-energy, positive, and supportive. At all levels, there is an emphasis on putting the customers first, and supporting your team and co-workers (we’d call it “working with and for each other”). For the entire time I’ve worked here, the company has been aggressively growing by pursuing larger customers, acquiring new businesses, and expanding its offerings to capture more business. The company has grown significantly (check the market cap), and continues to push along that track. What that means for employees is a fast paced environment that top performers will be comfortable in.

With all of that said, people at all levels take pride in the company’s achievement, and management makes everyone aware of the business results and how every person contributes to our success.

Salary and Bonuses - Ample, opportunities to ensure that you're where you feel you should be
    Benefits - Excellent, can't say enough about the medical, vision, dental, life ins, etc.

Cons

These are not "Cons", but a reality check:

When considering Bottomline, don’t mistake it for a “typical” medium size company that’s coasting on past successes. The pace is fast.

The company has high expectations, and those who have high expectations of themselves will succeed most here.

Potential for growth

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies

Pros

Great people to work with that are dedicated and understand that everyone is working just as hard. Potential for growth is based on performance.

Cons

Understaffed at this time so the work load for the rest of the company expands. Work life balance cam be difficult at times.

Challenge and Opportunity go hand in hand

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies

Pros

There is opportunity at BT, I've lived it. Starting with the company five years ago I now make more money than I ever have in my life. My daughter started as an intern this year, was hired in early and is now making a fair salary and has both a technical career path and is excelling at the work and excited about her future. Would I like to be compensated more?..Of course...but it seem's more than a bit naive to have an expectation that a global, public corporation is going to weight everything towards the individual. Any company in this category is responsible to the shareholders and has to try to strike a balance between revenue and expense.

The executive management did a great job of continuing to drive profits during an extremely difficult economic downturn, keeping the company in business as other's were closing their doors. Was that challenging for the worker?...less so than not having a job...and in fact, we've been able to grow the company substantially in these last years, which does open the door for greater opportunities.

This is software development, with a great client base of some of the largest corporations in the world. Are the hours challenging sometimes?...Yes, but if people want a 9 to 5, check in - check out position...they probably should look to another industry to meet those need's.

The greatest asset of BT is it's people. I've never worked with a more dedicated, intelligent and caring group of peers. At the end of the day, however long that may be...I know I've been part of a team of excellence unlike any other...and yes, just as high caliber as any of the largest companies now making software on the planet.

Cons

One could always say compensation could be better, but only each individual can really say what that would be for them.
    No clear process for comp time when long hours to hit deliverables is a reality.
    Not enough focus on emerging changes in the technology and being far ahead of the competition related to those technologies....example...where will java based software be in 10 years?...I would hazard a guess that it will be completely different...it's great to be aligning with the move to mobile technologies etc....but what will be driving the industry and put the company ahead of the pack 5- 10 years from now? As an evolving company, there need's to be more investment in the long range tech future.

Listen to your middle-management tier....they are the backbone of the success of BT and allow them dialogue without filters...perhaps create a regular forum for such dialogue, a "BT think tank" , where they can share the intel. They know where the challenges are and addressing those challenges are what create the opportunities for continued success.

Nice Company and people, but..

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Portsmouth, NH
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great corporate philosophy, great ethic of working 'with and for' each other, good pride in their work.

Cons

It's a sweatshop. No other way to put it. They talk of 'work-life balance', but they do not walk the walk. Very long hours are frequently expected.

If you say you believe in work life balance, practice that.

EMEA Growth by acquisition, not focused on clients

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time

Pros

Their cash rich status will ensure stability in your career here. EMEA region is well established, with a managerial team that has grown steadily through acquisition

Cons

There's a lot of internal positioning that politics which will suck your time up in whatever role you take at this company. Their growth by acquisition approach typically results in throwing the valuable people away and adding products to their offering that they don't necessarily understand or know how to sell. Over time, the main area that suffers is the customer experience, ironically one of the main areas they spend their marketing budget on. Saying is not doing.

Stop working in silos and understand your processes from start to finish before assuming that your operations are in good working order. Give value to the client before bringing money into the equation.

Good company but lots of room for growth

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

Employees are go getters and want to impress and succeed and great benefits

Cons

There is a disconnect between management and employees. There is a desire to be a global company but the knowledge to do it successfully is severely lacking. There is very little sharing of information between employees and groups as people silo information to ensure their job, which causes lots of issues.

Look through your employee base and find people who have worked for successful and unsuccessful global companies to see what knowledge they can bring to your company so all can succeed.

Worked for Bottomline Technologies? Contribute to the Community!