Bottomline Technologies

Updated December 5, 2014
3.6

Bottomline Technologies President, CEO, and Director Rob Eberle
Rob Eberle

Pros
  • Good benefits, free fruit in the summer, free ice cream (in 7 reviews)

• Employees are go getters and want to impress and succeed and great benefits (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • They talk of 'work-life balance', but they do not walk the walk (in 9 reviews)

• Very long hours are frequently expected (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Best place I've ever worked

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies

Pros

Growing company with lots of opportunities for those willing to take ownership and drive things.
    No politics between the top level leaders. They support each other and each others groups.
    Management cares about their employees and try to do the right thing
    Culture is a top priority for all managers in the company. They actual run programs and training to keep the culture going.
    Benefits are better than most companies in the area

Cons

You'll need to work hard to keep up with your coworkers here.
    If your not working hard you won't last long

This company is exploding with growth and so many places loose their culture when this happens. Stay focused on the culture and make sure you keep it as you grow.

I strongly recommend Bottomline Technologies!

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies

Pros

I'm a current BT employee ( 6+ years) and it's been the best job I've ever had. My job has offered both professional and personal rewards. I enjoy working with the multiple groups at BT and there is a definite sense of teamwork. When I accomplish a personal goal, I feel good that I've contributed to the success of my team and BT. I can personally attest to the strength of BT's health benefits and unwavering support of my coworkers and executive leadership. The phrase "what can I do to help" is sincere at the personal and professional level. BT's consistent growth in turbulent economic times is a testimony to their strong leadership and I look forward to the years to come.

Cons

I would like to meet with my team in person on a more frequent basis.

A great opportunity to grow at an organization aggressively pushing for success

Current Employee - Director, Product Marketing in Portsmouth, NH
    Current Employee - Director, Product Marketing in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies

Pros

A leader in a critical market space
    An organization that recognizes when pieces to it's product/solution portfolio are missing and purchases market leaders to close the holes
    Provides the opportunity to learn and offers recognition and reward for success
    Great benefits plan
    Very supportive when personnel have a family-related crisis

Cons

Not for everyone. Like GE, Apple, and other leading orgs, expects "A" players and performance. That means "work/life balance" isn't always balanced BUT, like the other companies mentioned, management is putting in the same effort and hours.
    Growth has been short-term and extensive - not all middle management has grown at the same speed

Make sure resource levels and organizational leadership match the portfolio growth and expanded internal and external expectations
    Recognize that the company wins when all the architects of success share in the rewards - it drives the organization to further excellence.
    Corporate longevity is only a positive if personal growth matches corporate growth - managerial excellence at all levels needs to match corporate goals

very nice place to work. Great benefit

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time

Pros

very strong culture. Relaxed working environment

Cons

no cons. all good so far

Great place to be, and great place to work!

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Portsmouth, NH
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people here are great, it's a very team-oriented, friendly environment.
    Lots of fun perks: latte/espresso machine, free fruit, ice cream Fridays, family trick or treating
    Bottomline is very involved with local charity organizations
    Benefits are very strong

Cons

Needs to be more communication between departments!

Better communication!

Excellent and rewarding work environment!

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

One of the biggest pro's are the benefits. They are robust and affordable. Bonuses are paid quarterly and they are generous. Hard work is recognized, but you have to work hard! There are long hours when the situation calls for it, however; they are also flexible with time off, sick time, comp time, etc. After reading some reviews, I was concerned but, knowing my own situation, I wonder if those people actually spoke to their managers regarding their circumstances. I can't imagine having to chose work over family, and I do not see that, even in my position, where I am exposed to many departments and many levels of employees. Having to work after hours or hours that are not usually defined as working hours is sometimes required as some of the work that is necessary cannot be done during that time. This is the nature of the business. You can't upgrade software during business hours, if you don't know that prior to coming to work for a software company, then that's a problem.

Cons

Opportunities for job growth outside of the corporate headquarters are not heard of often. The employees are responsible for their own development, and although that is also a Pro, knowing what positions or career paths are available is sometimes not as clear.

My advice to management is to do your best to keep the a positive work dynamic. Take the time to listen to the people actually doing the work. You may have a superstar on the team, but just not the "right team". Having the right employees in the right team is a win-win situation. Having a person with great skills but doesn't work great with the rest of the team really isn't beneficial to anyone.

A great place to experience growth and challenges

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Bottomline is a growing, fast-paced company that provides a challenging environment for those that are up to it.

Cons

The experience of working at Bottomline is NOT for everyone given the rapid pace we all work at.

My Experience

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time

Pros

Lovely people, customer centric, cares about employees.

Cons

No major issues, much better than some other companies

Great Company for A players

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very much client delight focused, compensates well if you are making an impact.

Cons

if you are not good, does not take long to get fired

Building a career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I’ve worked at Bottomline for over six years now, and I can say that the environment is high-energy, positive, and supportive. At all levels, there is an emphasis on putting the customers first, and supporting your team and co-workers (we’d call it “working with and for each other”). For the entire time I’ve worked here, the company has been aggressively growing by pursuing larger customers, acquiring new businesses, and expanding its offerings to capture more business. The company has grown significantly (check the market cap), and continues to push along that track. What that means for employees is a fast paced environment that top performers will be comfortable in.

With all of that said, people at all levels take pride in the company’s achievement, and management makes everyone aware of the business results and how every person contributes to our success.

Salary and Bonuses - Ample, opportunities to ensure that you're where you feel you should be
    Benefits - Excellent, can't say enough about the medical, vision, dental, life ins, etc.

Cons

These are not "Cons", but a reality check:

When considering Bottomline, don’t mistake it for a “typical” medium size company that’s coasting on past successes. The pace is fast.

The company has high expectations, and those who have high expectations of themselves will succeed most here.

Bottomline Technologies Photos