Bottomline Technologies Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

It's all a shell game...

Former Employee - Quality Assurance Engineer
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance Engineer

I worked at Bottomline Technologies

Pros

Stock option plan and exposure to technologies.

Cons

Everything else. They have no concern over employee retention. They would rather treat all employees poorly and hope they have an organization built on a staff that are too afraid to leave or simply too lazy to seek better treatment. Work life balance is nonexistent. Don't let them fool you with the allure of raises and bonuses either. Won't happen. Company motto is "With and For each other". They tout this mentality, but it's a facade. They have little to no concern for each other.

Advice to Management

Stop purchasing companies and leading everyone to believe that employees are the most important asset. We both know you don't actually care. You buy the company drain it of its product like the vampires you are and then you let all the employees quit from awful working conditions, lay them off to move resources or keep them around and treat them horribly. Finally for the CEO...you're a clown. You have staff meetings and you blow horns and play ridiculous musical instruments on your computer. You have a clapping and cheering button you press. You think it's cute and funny, but the reality is everyone else is laughing at you. Start thinking of your employees and you won't need to press the clap button. People will actually respect you and clap for you.

2. Mostly good employee experience and making real efforts to get better.

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies

Pros

The people are great; some real industry gurus.

Cons

Work/life imbalance in some areas; some benefits need updating

Bottomline is a sweatshop. That was my experience after working there for several years. Others are in agreement.

I worked at Bottomline Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are very nice. There are things to learn (only on your own, however-little or no training is offered), but the pressure is ridiculous.

Cons

They claim to believe in work-life balance, but nothing is farther from the truth. People work crazy hours, with no regard for anything but work. They also have yearly layoffs,

Advice to Management

Think more of the employees, offer more training and opportunities for advancement, practice what you preach as far as work-life balance.

5. Sales experience and came from another company that BT purchased

I worked at Bottomline Technologies

Pros

Great people, products and innovative approach

Cons

Cheap and nasty attitude towards resourcing - reactive rather than proactive

Advice to Management

spend more on infrastructure

Image over substance, dollars over humanity

Current Employee - Developer in Portsmouth, NH
    Current Employee - Developer in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time

Pros

Decent onboarding process but not much after that. Good health plan. You can easily be hired into a position that you are unqualified to fill and things are so disorganized that it will take them a long time to notice. Nice people to work with. Fortunately for the employees, the stock is fairly volatile so the employee stock purchase plan often works out as a plus. For those with families, there are more family activities than average. I don't have kids but it seemed to please those who did. Contractors and certain employees have time cards. Time tracking on internal projects borders on fiction, especially useful for underperformers. Benefits probably make it almost on par with other local software employers.

Cons

The narcissism is comparable to the Kardashian family. The CEO, in an effort to get onto the best places to work list, argued successfully with NH Magazine to have businesses that were laying off employees from being disqualified from the contest. That didn't stop Bottomline Tech. from accepting the award amid its own layoffs. One of the people I had to work with was arrogant and counterproductive. I had heard that before joining BT that this person managed a restaurant. It's easy to believe. People are treated like minimum wage employees, except when it came to working ridiculous hours without additional compensation. I watched some of the best employees get let go and get replaced by recent college grads who brought little to the table besides malleability and lower salary thresholds. It almost seemed like some sort of an experiment where BT was trying to see if they could jam people from all walks of life into a technically challenging career. Employees are sometimes way over their heads, but some acquisitions come with talent. When there are truly talented people, they end up carrying the weight of the eternal trainees. Jobs are rarely posted internally and unless you spend your workday networking, you won't be going anywhere with your career. Product training is rarely done internally. People don't really know the product and opportunistic employees hoard and deny access to proprietary information or step out of their roles to steal underling's spotlight, insuring career opportunities for themselves. Industry standards are sometimes ignored or fictionalized. Agile SCRUM execution is so weak that it felt like somebody read a handout from a training course, didn't quite understand it, and taught it to everyone else. Coding DB design work is so far from professional that it boggles the mind. Anyone who truly codes with professionalism gets out as quickly as possible. Source code management appears to be off the charts mismanaged. So much professional ground is lost by remaining in this place. Management seems to be lead by a cross between a Dickesnsonian manager and an entitled prep-school dandy. I can't say that about any other software company that I've worked for. Instead of learning more about your industry, you experience mental attrition. There are definitely some happy people here, but they are often the people who are deluded into thinking that they are top performers or are just happy that nobody notices that they are just camping out. I have to agree with the people who say that management strongly hints to employees to post positive reviews. Good press is craved like insulin to the diabetic. Firing people seems like it can be arbitrary, until the 20-something replacement comes in, taking 3 to 6 months to be productive at all, and likely working for a fraction of the salary. If NH weren't an "at will" employee state, there would probably be complaints about age and sex discrimination. The employees could probably unionize, but their jobs would be offshored. I've seen people with strong work ethics and superior skills be let go in favor of wet behind the ears beginners. The loss of one big client even during the sales cycle means that a third of the employees experience extreme nervousness about their employment. Work/life balance can be way off and layoffs are on the mind of many.

Advice to Management

Time for some turnover in senior management. Big time. People are tired of the self deprecating comments by the CEO about his looks and the speeches about reinvestment in the company and opportunities that rarely come for the heads down employees. Form an HR department that works for the employee benefit. I've never been part of a company where the HR department seems like less of an advocate for employees. Too many managers are over-impressed by themselves.

7. I love Bottomline!

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies

Pros

Celebrating 15 years at Bottomline and another incredible opportunity. I love Bottomline!

Cons

I don't have anything negative to say

Joke of company

Former Employee - Customer Support Specialist in Reading, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Support Specialist in Reading, England (UK)

I worked at Bottomline Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free fruit, that is all

Cons

Support team leader was unprofessional power trip happy

Advice to Management

Glad to see bad reviews does show I made a great decision to leave

Poor senior management, lack of foresight with workload planning

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time

Pros

Flexible with working at home, IT staff is very accommodating, bonuses

Cons

Staff are often ignored. Customers and sales teams are given free reign to make promises that can't be kept.

Advice to Management

Listen to your people, promote from within and plan for greater workloads rather than scramble to hire & train.

False sense of security

I worked at Bottomline Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work Life balance and consistent bonuses.

Cons

This company periodically does lay offs, wit no warning or any indication that you may be laid off. In my time there I provided excellent customer service and increased my revenue year over year. Then after multiple great reviews and raises, I was unexpectedly laid off. Very poor business model. Upper management knows nothing about the product they are offering and communication between teams is non existing. I do not recommend this company to work for.

Advice to Management

It is more expensive to keep hiring new employees, only to et them go after a few years, then to consistently hire and train new individuals. In addition it creates poor client retention. Lastly, know your product!

Bottomline is the bottom of the barrel!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reading, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reading, England (UK)

I worked at Bottomline Technologies full-time

Pros

Breakfast once a month. Pizza once a month. Massage once a month. Some of the people are nice but I can't respect them for continuing to work for a soulless prehistoric company. Another pro is once you work for Bottomline Technologies, the only way is up.

Cons

A dull lifeless working environment in unclean and tired offices at the back/bum end of Reading with little to no car parking. Decisions take an ice age to happen and the vision for the company is money based rather than aimed at their clients or products. No job satisfaction.

Advice to Management

Change your ways, bring new life and a fresh approach to upper management, get rid of the dancing monkey that likes "good graphs".

RSS Feed </> Embed