Bottomline Technologies

Updated December 21, 2014
3.6

Bottomline Technologies President, CEO, and Director Rob Eberle
Rob Eberle

Pros
  • Good benefits, free fruit in the summer, free ice cream (in 7 reviews)

• Employees are go getters and want to impress and succeed and great benefits (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • They talk of 'work-life balance', but they do not walk the walk (in 9 reviews)

• Very long hours are frequently expected (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Fabulous place to work in every aspect!

Current Employee - Enrollment Specialist in Portsmouth, NH
    Current Employee - Enrollment Specialist in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I look forward to coming to work every day. Why? Because Bottomline really cares about its employees. I have the feeling that my opinion matters from the CEO, to Vice Presidents and Managers as well as my co-workers. The culture is built around "working with and for each other" and I have seen this consistently throughout my time here. The message I hear from the senior staff is that I am doing a good job and that I am a valued employee. Who doesn't like recognitiion for a job well done? Moreover, it's clear that there is room for growth here--when a talent is recognized, management acts on it. In other words the focus is on the strengths of our skill set, rather than our shortcomings and then they run with that which makes it fun and rewarding. Employees share a strong work ethic--I always feel like it's team work and that we're moving toward a goal together. Managers are approachable, colleagues are a pleasure, the benefits are very generous--"think Matching 401K" and the environment is well--beautiful! If it's important to you to work hard, feel a part of and to feel satisfied at the end of the day, then this is the place for you.

Cons

From where I sit? None.

Good to Learn At, Quick to Plateau and Become Stifled

Former Employee - Digital Designer, Front-End Developer in Portsmouth, NH
    Former Employee - Digital Designer, Front-End Developer in Portsmouth, NH

I worked at Bottomline Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Location
    Benefit package
    Bonuses
    Potential for company growth
    Strong UI/UX team

Cons

The company is bogged down by an overbearing network of bureaucracy. For being a tech company, it is ironically slow to adopt new and forward thinking platforms and standards - their corporate website is a glaring example of this sort of backwards thinking.

Numbers and illusion of company gains are valued more than clear and honest communication with prospects and customers. Expect to have processes ignored and overstepped by management. The company does a good job at squashing any initiative or enthusiasm one would otherwise have for their position.

Resign. The company needs less of you and more of those in specialized fields.

VP Development

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

None what so ever! Oh Yes, if you can say "Yes Sir!" you will be a star.

Cons

No Vision or Goals. Very tactical no strategy. Treat workforce like an accordion. The CEO behavior is deplorable.

Understand software development 101 or remove the name "Technologies" from the name.

Worst company that I've ever worked for!

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Portsmouth, NH
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Portsmouth, NH

I worked at Bottomline Technologies as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Great location, co-workers are great!

Cons

Culture is purely toxic. Non revenue generating departments such as human resources have way too much influence on the "producers." Too many VP's and not strong enough middle management. Part of that issue is because no one is empowered at BT. The dysfunction here will eventually bring the company crashing down.

Communication must be improved. Since they are organized by product lines and verticals, communication between the silos is non-existent and very frustrating. You might also want to reduce the power in those non-revenue generating departments STAT. To have a VP in software development report to a VP in HR is ludicrous.

Many years ago, a great company to work for however the past several proved a toxic environment.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, NH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, NH

I worked at Bottomline Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Location. Nice building but poorly maintained. Previous associates a delight to work with. Decent insurance. The poor reputation of Bottomline and how they drive and abuse their employees helps to open doors to employees searching for a new employer.

Cons

Dysfunctional overpaid management on many levels lead to high stress, long days/weekends with no gratitude and often insist when you work each holiday that you just take another day off. Like they are doing employees a favor? Salary range is low but compared to unemployment it's reasonable when hired until the workload of three employees is handed over. Like it or leave is their attitude. Overpaid upper management enjoy outrageous bonus levels following a raise freeze and layoffs. Very TOXIC environment.

Hire an efficiency expert to come in for one week. One week observing will save hundreds of thousands wasted on middle management. Have your remaining managers enroll in training courses and seminars. Threatening and yelling at employees hardly motivates or creates a positive working environment. Better yet, bring Joe back to set the company straight.

Don't contract here. Don't expect to be here more than 2 years.

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Portsmouth, NH
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Nice building. Lots of work, never boring.They have a great espresso machine in the main kitchen. Great opportunities to learn. Good place to wait out the economic recovery.

Cons

Absolutely horrible culture. There is no real Life/Work balance even so they talk about how great it is all the time. Most permanent employees regularly work 10 hour days just to keep up.

They do not do their homework on mergers. They bought a large portion of Intuit's business but don't even have close to the infrastructure to integrate the group into the company.

Bottomline has a horrible reputation in the area for over work and underpay. I know a couple of very talented technology professionals looking for their next move who won't event consider this company due to their reputation. They currently have about 40 positions right now that they just can't fill. Seems their reputation is catching up with them.

Very telling of the pay scale. They have many VPs and Directors but if you look in the parking lot there are almost no high end cars. Usually tech bosses love their BMWs.

Realize that it is not all about the profits. Treat your people with some respect. Pay them what they are worth.

Best company I have ever worked for.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity is not defined by your job title. Anyone has the ability to make a real impact. The company does a great deal to support employees through difficult personal situations and they have the best benefit package I have experienced.

Cons

It is a fast paced environment unlike any I have ever worked at before. It makes things exciting but it is certainly not the right fit for everyone.

Don't just set goals. Ensure the employees below you have some direction on how best to work together to achieve them.

Worst Company to Work for in NH NOT the Best

Former Employee - Director in Portsmouth, NH
    Former Employee - Director in Portsmouth, NH

I worked at Bottomline Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great location in Portsmouth, NH.
    Seacoast location is excellent
    The health, dental and vision benefits are very good compared to other companies

Cons

The organization is like a dysfunctional family that has no direction and employees treat each other with disrespect and rudeness. The company value of working with and for each other is a joke.

The CEO is nick named the "weathervane" because he changes direction so frequently that nothing gets done.

They have a hard time keeping good professional employees due to number of unprofessional employees. The company tolerates the most unprofessional behavior because it starts at the TOP. It is notuncommon to hear yelling, see inappropriate and threatening emails (from management).

I would NOT recommend this company to my worst enemy.

GET NEW MANAGEMENT IF YOU WANT THE STOCK TO GET GO BACK UP

Dis-functional

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies

Pros

Benefits are better than average.
    Location, Location,Location

Cons

Management is disconnected from the employees. Very hostile environment to work in.

Morale is at an all time low, listen to your employees. Stop asking employees to post positive comments on Glassdoor.

Best place I've ever worked

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies

Pros

Growing company with lots of opportunities for those willing to take ownership and drive things.
    No politics between the top level leaders. They support each other and each others groups.
    Management cares about their employees and try to do the right thing
    Culture is a top priority for all managers in the company. They actual run programs and training to keep the culture going.
    Benefits are better than most companies in the area

Cons

You'll need to work hard to keep up with your coworkers here.
    If your not working hard you won't last long

This company is exploding with growth and so many places loose their culture when this happens. Stay focused on the culture and make sure you keep it as you grow.

Bottomline Technologies Photos