Bouclair Reviews

Nice products, lovely guests

Current Employee - Management
    Current Employee - Management

I have been working at Bouclair full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Very nice products, great co workers, good marketing and merchandising strategy. You manage your own little PME. Loved working there.

Cons

Salary, a lot of pressure, very low opportunity to step up, work-Life balance difficult, have to work long hours

More consideration for the people who brings you the profitability...your team in store.

Fast paced

Current Employee - Manager  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Bouclair full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There is always new stock coming in every week

Cons

Personal growth is limited, input to home office not received well, outdated systems in almost every facet of the business

Give more credit to the teams in the store and listen to the ideas they share. We are the people on the front lines and know better then anyone else what customers need/want

Associate at Bouclair

Former Employee - Associate  in  Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Associate in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at Bouclair full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great co-workers and nice merchandise

Cons

No strategy from high management. They manage the company from their offices not in the field. No motivation and respect of associates. You are hired and EXPECTED to work past your hours and eat at your office and work. No staff motivation or valuation and this is from ALL members of High management. When you exceed objectives no motivation or good work. No strategy or regular meeting of staff to avise them where is the business. When you are aswked to contribut to ideas you give your opinion you get turnned down. No chance to advance or trained for higher positions such as District sales manager always hiring from outside so if you want to move up leave. Key holder not paid extra sometimes.

Wake up before the business goes down. Your employees are your assets. Put some HR in your daily operations. I just found out that one boss runs something like 7 departments. Come and meet at us at the stores and show you care not just to critisize (this is to the president too). Sad to see a Canadian company go down because of incompetant management.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I worked for Bouclair 8 years

Former Employee - Senior Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Associate

I worked at Bouclair part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

new products almost weekly. great co-workers on the store level.

Cons

products not always worth what the customer is paying for. Tend to be really cheap when it comes to markdowns and hold onto things forever trying to sell them, meanwhile new things come in. Creates competition for itself. Upper management does not treat the main line employees well at all regarding the amount of work expected and the pay scale. Company leads with negativity. No incentive to do better. Work like commissioned employees but not paid like them. Policies constantly changing to accommodate the most outrageous demands of customers and the mainline staff get the shaft for trying to enforce the original policies. Head off ice does not care about what the employee thinks only that they make money. What does this company do for the communities it operates in??????? Does it give back to the community???? It used to be a good place to work.

Treat your mainline staff better and you would get better results. Communicate positively not negatively all of the time. Actually communicate not just rant when something goes wrong.

Positive

Current Employee - Senior Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Associate

I have been working at Bouclair part-time for more than a year

Pros

Manager is respectful. Sales associates work well together. Morale is positive. New products every week. Reasonable prices. Excellent return policy.

Cons

Pay is very low. No pay increase for keyholder who temporarily takes over assistant management position during a maternity leave. Sales associates have to scrub toilets and mop floors because head office is too cheap to hire a cleaner. Management twists the refund policy to suit their needs, especially if the customer makes a scene.

Support the actions of your sales associates. Listen carefully to their side of the story. The customer is not always right.

At least it's a paycheck..

Current Employee - Keyholder
    Current Employee - Keyholder

I have been working at Bouclair part-time for less than a year

Pros

Co-workers are pretty easy to get along with
    Discount on home decor

Cons

Most of the products are terrible quality.
    Upper management doesn't care about you at all, if you do well, no one cares and you don't hear about it, but if you make one little mistake, you're in serious trouble. Our district manager makes everyone's life that much more stressful. Even if you make your sales goals it's still never good enough.
    Every once in a while there's a contest. The contest is for the store that has the most sales or something similar, but then instead of giving a prize to everyone in the store who made that win happen, they give out a pair of hockey tickets, so only one person from the store will win it. But you won't win it, because the store manager will take it!!
    The store is often dead, perhaps because the product is of such poor quality, or perhaps because half the people who come in still think we sell fabric. Bouclair needs to work on changing their image!!
    The POS system is really old and outdated. You can't even purchase a gift card in the same transaction as purchasing something for yourself. You can only purchase gift cards in denominations of $25 and $50 and they can only be used once. So if you get a $50 gift card, you could come in, buy a 0.99c candle, and walk out with 49 bucks. If you want to buy a $25 and $50 gift card, again I have to do two transactions.
    You get a small raise once a year.
    Keyholders barely make more than minimum wage
    Promised full time hours, had to beg to get at least 20. You mostly get night shifts where you have to close at 9 every day, as opposed to a mix of day and evening.
    As more and more customers discover the terrible quality of the products offered here this business is going to go down.

Start thinking about your employees as people rather than just machines. Offer incentives for the whole store as opposed to just one big prize (even if it's just $10 gift cards for everyone it'd be better than hockey tickets for one person!) Update your POS

over worked and under paid

I have been working at Bouclair

Pros

good staff, easy to work with, new produt is eciting

Cons

exciting new products are cheaply made, warranties little to none, employees do not get paid for what they do on a daily basis, no incentive except a discount card that you get after three months. Very negative from upper management, little to no support but when something goes wrong its heard about , lack of praise for a job well done leads to discontent, music is so annoying, cheap company to its employees. Electronically behind the times.

look at your bottom line people, the people who sell this stuff for you and treat them better, I am thinking you would be amazed at the results.

Such a joke.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Bouclair part-time for less than a year

Pros

It wasn't busy at all, all of the coworkers were easy to get along with, manager not included. available hours if you weren't being lied to your face about it.

Cons

the manager of the location I was at would only provide one half hour break per eight hour shift, which is illegal. she would also get mad at you if you brought a water bottle to the floor as well as get mad at you if you went to the back for a drink of water. She didn't value her employees in the least and she was only interested in making profit, which we hardly ever did.

Make sure that you instigate a secret shopping program to see how employees are being treated at each venue.

Good place to work

Former Employee - Senior Sales Associate  in  Pincourt, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Associate in Pincourt, QC (Canada)

I worked at Bouclair part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Awsome team, lots of autonomy, great price product and wonderful clients. Good variety in the products.

Cons

The quality of the products are not always worth the price the customers pay for it. Even after all the years I spent in Bouclair I didn't feel I was recognized for my work and the salary was not relevant of my functions there and my years of experience

retail...ugh

Former Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at Bouclair full-time for less than a year

Pros

The product was exciting to work with
    Great co-workers
    Store is always extremely organized
    Store manager was great to deal with
    Interview process is great

Cons

Upper management didn't communicate well
    HR department was difficult to work with (refused an employee their ROE)
    Most product that comes into the store is either falling apart or already broken
    Product is very cheaply made
    Management does not give employees the "tools" they need to help a customer the very best they can... discounts are frowned upon, can't give money back on a giftcard when exchanging...
    Employees were overworked
    The systems they use are out-dated
    Very slow store
    Training was not sufficient
    Music was repetitive and out dated
    You have to wait 3 months to use your employee discount- which is a limited discount anyways...
    They switched the store manager and left the assistant manager for 3 months without any raise or benefit to running the store
    Employee turnover is bad, most people don't stay for more than 2-3 months

Work on communicating better and trust the managers and assistant managers you hire in your stores. Updating the cash machines would also improve alot of problems.

Worked for Bouclair? Contribute to the Community!