Boudin Bakeries Reviews

David Wolfgram

1. Awesome company with excellent upper management

Current Employee - General Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - General Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Boudin Bakeries full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to show your talents as a manager! The Area Director builds you up and encourages you. All around they take care of there people

Cons

Sometimes a 14 hr day gets worked but it's a great company

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

2. Great product, great location, horrible management.

Former Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Boudin Bakeries full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A product you can get behind. Absolutely gorgeous location. Always a pleasure dealing with the tourist season, and those who would visit the location.

Cons

Terribly ruthless management. Would do some very shady things to remove employees they didn't like, and to meet their sales goals in order to reach bonus pay. Was happy to leave their employ.

Advice to Management

Please stay to health and safety codes. Please take care of the bottom employees. Yes, they are minimum wage workers, but most are good folk who just want to get by.

Fast-paced work. The money is pretty good but you'll be treated like cattle.

Current Employee - Food Server in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Food Server in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Boudin Bakeries part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fast-paced work with competent coworkers. Good money during peak season, plenty of catering and special events, FANTASTIC food! The view is lovely and the bread is free. It's a great job if you're hard working and competent.

Cons

Stressful work environment, incompetent management who don't support their staff. You'll be treated as cattle and put to work with no regard to your personal needs. Many people have quit mid-shift out of frustration. No automatic gratuities means you'll get stiffed by big parties.

Advice to Management

Treat your team members like they're important. Invest in proper training, maintenance, and equipment that works and suits our needs. Get rid of bad employees and managers. You'll be working both Christmas and Thanksgiving.

5. High turnover rate in all levels

Former Employee - Manager In Training/Shift Supervisor in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Manager In Training/Shift Supervisor in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Boudin Bakeries full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great food, great bread, historic San francisco company.

Cons

Everyone from the CEO to the cashiers changes so frequently because of chronic under staffing and poor management. I went almost four months without receiving a raise for the promotion I had already received/been performing for those full four months.

Advice to Management

Your employees are not pack mules.

6. Excellent company w/ great values, and amazing coworkers!

I worked at Boudin Bakeries full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Company and management that truly values it's employees.

Cons

Do not have any at this time.

Management split into fragmented parts with no real identity.

Current Employee - Dishwasher in Santa Rosa, CA
    Current Employee - Dishwasher in Santa Rosa, CA

I have been working at Boudin Bakeries full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Due to the long business day the schedule is quite flexible, you get free bread (although the quality varies) depending on the bakers. The building itself is quite nice and modern.

Cons

A lot of the problems with Boudins comes from the lack of management. Too many managers/supervisors want to be your friend first and most have no idea how to drive or be a leader. The general manager is basically lost at work and doesn't hold the respect of the supervisors or employees. If someone asked me what each supervisor did I honestly couldn't answer because its not apparent. Only one supervisor (now assistant manager) works as someone in authority. But even then he lacks the ability to push people and falls into the same problem of wanting to be your friend. The kitchen is a mess with no real supervisor or quality control which leaves each member doing their own thing... or nothing at all. Filled with arrogance and hot heads it blunders and sputs its way through rushes.

Advice to Management

I understand how there are so many managers as the hours are long. But nobody has a clue how to manage or direct workers. Management isn't simply holding a key to a register or counting money. Its about assuring the quality of the content you're providing and pushing your workers to keep towards that.

cashier and serving experience with customer service.

Current Employee - Cashier/Guest Service Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Cashier/Guest Service Representative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Boudin Bakeries full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

had great experience with customers also co workers. i learned a lot in restaurant industry, how to handle food, how to make their food properly, and also the names of different type of bread they have.

Cons

bad experience in management i had. when i had in issue they didn't take action.

Advice to Management

change management

A toxic soul sucking corporate sweatshop

Current Employee - Corporate Drone in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Corporate Drone in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Boudin Bakeries full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good food, amazing bread and a company with a long history in San Francisco. And there are still a few dedicated, good people left that haven't quit yet.

Cons

Employees here of all levels are seen by ownership as just replaceable cogs. Even if you aren't abruptly fired under the pretense of “eliminating a position”, you’ll eventually be driven out by the abusive management style, chronic under-staffing, absurdly long hours, broken promises, constantly shifting priorities and a total lack of respect and recognition.

Advice to Management

Hire competent outside management, and let them run it. Take a look at how hard some of your most valuable people are working. Do something about it. It isn't normal, and it isn't right.

10. Unorganized and inconsistent.

Current Employee - Line Cook in Santa Rosa, CA
    Current Employee - Line Cook in Santa Rosa, CA

I have been working at Boudin Bakeries part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent starting wage, although you get what you ask for from the interview for the most part. I asked for $10/hr and got it, yet another worker who had less quality work than me was getting paid $14 an hour and workers that were much better than myself were making $9.

Cons

They'll hardly work with your schedule. They'd schedule me during my college classes for months in a row although I had given them a clear and easy to read availability sheet prompt and on time before the semester started. They'll change the schedule 2 days before an altered shift and not call to notify you. They "expect" you to go in and check to see if the schedule has changed. Why? I couldn't tell you. Shouldn't it be set once it's posted? Many of the managers have a different view of how the food should be cooked which leads to inconsistency and upset managers left and right. Quality of the food is always going down. Pre-cooked/pre-grilled frozen foods are becoming more and more of a regular sight; less fresh foods. Many other workers simply just don't care about many standards anymore; morale is low. It's really just a sad place to work.

Advice to Management

Get it together. I don't even know where to start.

The worst job I've ever had - Boudin Bakers Hall

Former Employee - Cashier/Guest Service Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier/Guest Service Representative in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Boudin Bakeries full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hmmm... Benefits when you join Union

Cons

Long hours, super low pay, no holidays off. Unhealthy work environment. No place to rest and recover throughout your work day (no employee break room), no 10 min breaks on busy days, no complimentary meals (and this is foodservice)! Scheduling is off (you can be scheduled for closing shift until 11pm and early morning opening shift next day. GM practices abusive management style with raising their voice at employees. I could continue...