Boudin Bakeries

Updated October 9, 2014
Updated October 9, 2014
2.2

David Wolfgram

Excellent company w/ great values, and amazing coworkers!

I worked at Boudin Bakeries full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Company and management that truly values it's employees.

Cons

Do not have any at this time.

Management split into fragmented parts with no real identity.

Current Employee - Dishwasher in Santa Rosa, CA
    Current Employee - Dishwasher in Santa Rosa, CA

I have been working at Boudin Bakeries full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Due to the long business day the schedule is quite flexible, you get free bread (although the quality varies) depending on the bakers. The building itself is quite nice and modern.

Cons

A lot of the problems with Boudins comes from the lack of management. Too many managers/supervisors want to be your friend first and most have no idea how to drive or be a leader. The general manager is basically lost at work and doesn't hold the respect of the supervisors or employees. If someone asked me what each supervisor did I honestly couldn't answer because its not apparent. Only one supervisor (now assistant manager) works as someone in authority. But even then he lacks the ability to push people and falls into the same problem of wanting to be your friend. The kitchen is a mess with no real supervisor or quality control which leaves each member doing their own thing... or nothing at all. Filled with arrogance and hot heads it blunders and sputs its way through rushes.

I understand how there are so many managers as the hours are long. But nobody has a clue how to manage or direct workers. Management isn't simply holding a key to a register or counting money. Its about assuring the quality of the content you're providing and pushing your workers to keep towards that.

A toxic soul sucking corporate sweatshop

Current Employee - Corporate Drone in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Corporate Drone in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Boudin Bakeries full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good food, amazing bread and a company with a long history in San Francisco. And there are still a few dedicated, good people left that haven't quit yet.

Cons

Employees here of all levels are seen by ownership as just replaceable cogs. Even if you aren't abruptly fired under the pretense of “eliminating a position”, you’ll eventually be driven out by the abusive management style, chronic under-staffing, absurdly long hours, broken promises, constantly shifting priorities and a total lack of respect and recognition.

Hire competent outside management, and let them run it. Take a look at how hard some of your most valuable people are working. Do something about it. It isn't normal, and it isn't right.

cashier and serving experience with customer service.

Current Employee - Cashier/Guest Service Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Cashier/Guest Service Representative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Boudin Bakeries full-time (less than an year)

Pros

had great experience with customers also co workers. i learned a lot in restaurant industry, how to handle food, how to make their food properly, and also the names of different type of bread they have.

Cons

bad experience in management i had. when i had in issue they didn't take action.

change management

Unorganized and inconsistent.

Current Employee - Line Cook in Santa Rosa, CA
    Current Employee - Line Cook in Santa Rosa, CA

I have been working at Boudin Bakeries part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent starting wage, although you get what you ask for from the interview for the most part. I asked for $10/hr and got it, yet another worker who had less quality work than me was getting paid $14 an hour and workers that were much better than myself were making $9.

Cons

They'll hardly work with your schedule. They'd schedule me during my college classes for months in a row although I had given them a clear and easy to read availability sheet prompt and on time before the semester started. They'll change the schedule 2 days before an altered shift and not call to notify you. They "expect" you to go in and check to see if the schedule has changed. Why? I couldn't tell you. Shouldn't it be set once it's posted? Many of the managers have a different view of how the food should be cooked which leads to inconsistency and upset managers left and right. Quality of the food is always going down. Pre-cooked/pre-grilled frozen foods are becoming more and more of a regular sight; less fresh foods. Many other workers simply just don't care about many standards anymore; morale is low. It's really just a sad place to work.

Get it together. I don't even know where to start.

The worst job I've ever had - Boudin Bakers Hall

Former Employee - Cashier/Guest Service Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier/Guest Service Representative in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Boudin Bakeries full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Hmmm... Benefits when you join Union

Cons

Long hours, super low pay, no holidays off. Unhealthy work environment. No place to rest and recover throughout your work day (no employee break room), no 10 min breaks on busy days, no complimentary meals (and this is foodservice)! Scheduling is off (you can be scheduled for closing shift until 11pm and early morning opening shift next day. GM practices abusive management style with raising their voice at employees. I could continue...

A good learning experience.

I worked at Boudin Bakeries part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Easy job starting as a GSR.

Cons

Progression is slow because of operating manager's delegation.

You should be more proactive toward all your employees, not just just sit the office all day

Dead end job for me!

Former Employee - IT Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - IT Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Boudin Bakeries full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free daily bread if you like to eat their bread. Rolling in the dough? NOT!!! Shared office space with other people. No privacy and very loud when everyone is on the phones. Smells bad with no air flow...poor working conditions. If you want to stay healthy, request for a personal cubicle.

Cons

If you aspire to make a decent living....look elsewhere! Hard work for low pay. Market rate is not competitive at all with no bonuses! I did not learn anything that will catapult me into my next career path. This job is for someone fresh out of high school or a few years of college with no experience.

Starting salary for this position should be $65K to keep up with the technology boom and numerous talents in SF

Cashier

Former Employee - Cashier in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Boudin Bakeries part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly environment and flexible work hours

Cons

Poor management team and encouragement

This company has so much potential but management needs to get out of its own way

Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Boudin Bakeries full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Daily bread, butternut squash soup and being connected to Gold Rush History and the spirit of San Francisco

Cons

We are working 70+ hours a week it would be nice to be thanked once and awhile. Senior management does not understand the daily realities of the restaurants and cafe.

Please stop the reprisals and retributions when all someone is trying is to make a suggestion. Visit your stores more.