Boulder Community Hospital

Updated August 21, 2014

CEO

Great organization

I have been working at Boulder Community Hospital

Pros

Well intended organization, provide tons of charity care, ranked 15 nationally for patient safety, progressive approach to quality improvement, lovely staff.

Cons

None specifically. There can sometimes seem to be an "us" and "them" feeling regarding management, but working alongside the management I realize intentions are good and all with same goals of excellent quality.

Continue to focus on excellent patient care and excellent work environment.

Good place

I worked at Boulder Community Hospital full-time

Pros

Good place to work; work life balance

Cons

Benefits need some improvement; a bit Silo'd departments

dedicated staff , poor leadership

I have been working at Boulder Community Hospital part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

great people,dedicated staff with clear values to help and honor our patients.

Cons

Work LONG hours very short-staffed Underpaided,overworked,not appreciated,exceptionally poor management from CEO and board. No merit raises, barely cost of living increases. CEO continues to receive millions in salary and bonuses.

WAKE UP!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worst manager in 25 years of employment

Former Employee - Professional, Non-nursing Staff
    Former Employee - Professional, Non-nursing Staff

I worked at Boulder Community Hospital part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits were pretty good; enjoyed working with patients.

Cons

Within the greater structure of hospital policy and procedure, each "floor" is run pretty autonomously by that manager - if they're good, great, if they're not, you are really out of luck. Truly, my manager was the worst I've had in 25 years in the workforce: workplace bullying was not only tolerated, it was essentially created by the department's manager. Favoritism, inconsistency and conflicting directions were the norm. My manager deferred to long-time employees in determining department policy and procedure, and in the assessment of other employees, well beyond a reasonable degree of the feedback and input that should be encouraged from ALL employees. Others agreed with my assessment, but we really had no recourse. I was retaliated against for speaking to the fact that our department was not in compliance with state wages and hours law. Co-workers who worked in other departments observed how differently and better-run those departments were, resulting in better morale, but again, there was really no opportunity to address any of these issues. Speaking to another former employee (not a co-worker from my department), this person left because she felt, "They could treat their employees better than they do." Indeed. Pay was poor - established employees at Costco earn more - and most of the employees in my position had post-graduate degrees. The employee benefits were good - enough to keep me there for 4 years. Overall, job satisfaction would be greatly determined by the management in the particular department in which one was working. Just hope that you're lucky.

Greater consistency in the policies and procedures between floors - the area of practice will of course affect some of these, but particularly in terms of Human Resources / people / employee interaction, practices could be more standardized (how errors are addressed and by whom, how employees communicate and give feedback to one another, how floor coverage is ensured in case of illness amongst non-nursing staff). Have some means for employees to address concern about issued on their floor a) without fear of retaliation and, b) with the knowledge that they will be *heard*. Evaluate Nurse Manager's performance on more that just whether that department is "in the black" and how they do when JCAHO visits.

Great Place to Work

Former Employee - Registrar  in  Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Registrar in Boulder, CO

I worked at Boulder Community Hospital part-time for more than a year

Pros

Very educational, Great coworkers, Management and administration are always available and willing to listen.

Cons

None, I loved working here and it helped advance both my career and education.

Great people, but lots of bureaucracy

Former Employee - Supervisor  in  Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Boulder, CO

I worked at Boulder Community Hospital part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are a lot of great people working at BCH, including my director who was excellent at her job & very supportive of her staff.
    Fairly decent benefits package.
    Management training courses for new & experienced supervisors.
    BCH prefers to hire/promote from within.

Cons

Pay & hiring freezes for most of the time I was there.
    Lots of bureaucracy, e.g. mandatory requirements for ALL employees not always relevant to all positions.
    Decisions of Management Council often didn't make sense.

Philosophy

I have been working at Boulder Community Hospital full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are some very caring nurses and surgeons who practice at BCH.

Cons

Many long term employees are allowed to act in a counter productive way in contrast to the Encore Values.

Review your managers who seem to have a high turnover of employees, especially if they have one employee who has stayed long term, it might be that one employee has

Stay away from this place

Former Employee - IT Department
    Former Employee - IT Department

I worked at Boulder Community Hospital full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you live in Boulder the medical benefits are decent.

Cons

-Management is clueless. They don't trust anyone unless you brown nose them and even then they will never trust you to do your job.
    -Salary is horrible and not the going rate compared to all other hospitals.
    -Most of the co-workers here are scared of losing their job so they don't share information with anyone.

Hire more competent managers that trust their employees that they hire. Also provide some career growth opportunities and get rid of the my way or highway mentality.

Boulder Community Hospital is a non-profit organization: Pros and Cons

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Boulder Community Hospital full-time for less than a year

Pros

I love that BCH is a smaller, community oriented hospital and still offers exceptional health care. Having a smaller staff allows you to really get to know your coworkers and makes for a very friendly work environment. Also, we have the opportunity to help those in our community that may not have insurance or access to health education, as we do not turn away our patients.

Cons

As a non-profit organization money can be tight. There are a lot of instances where our programs have been struggling due to lack of resources. We have been on a hiring freeze recently, when a lot of our departments actually need additional staff. Equipment may be outdated or in need of repair.

The department I work in has a director that oversees two other departments, and my manager works in a different department. It is hard to get major issues resolved when we have no one to report to. I love the dynamic of our team, but when a crisis comes up we have nothing to stand on. Perhaps micromanagement may be the way to go in some situations.

Friendly Community work environment, but very little room for job growth.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Boulder Community Hospital

Pros

Has some great perks and benefites such as free bus pass. Great people as well.

Cons

No really ladder for job growth and development.

Better leadership and organizational structure

Worked for Boulder Community Hospital? Contribute to the Community!