Bowdoin College

Be The First To
Add Photos

Barry Mills

Wonderful place to work!

ProsThe work culture is willing to invest the extra time and money to "do it right." The location is a beautiful place to live and work. There is plenty of work to be done -- one can always find an interesting project to lead or contribute to.

ConsThere tends to be culture to work very hard without taking time off. Most of my peers have had their vacation accruals maxed out for years, with no hope of ever having a break in the workload to take (well-earned) time off.

Excellent place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOpportunities to do many different jobs in the span of a career

ConsMust like working in a busy college environment

Great school

Line Server (Former Employee)
    Brunswick, ME

ProsThe country's best liberal arts school

ConsNothing much. already good enough.

Advice to Senior ManagementWeather is too cold

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Potentially great, but be careful of the department you are hired into

Assistant Director (Former Employee)
    Brunswick, ME

ProsGood benefits. One of few larger, stable employers in the midcoast region. Has a nice gym, for what that's worth.

ConsI've witnessed terrible management here. Department managers receive no managerial training nor are they reviewed in any routine way. If you department is poorly managed, it unfortunately will not improve. I previously worked at educational institutions as well as other non-profits and Fortune 500s, and Bowdoin is the first place I've worked that's placed absolutely no emphasis on talent management or development. There is a fairly substantial waste of resources as well as completely arcane (and inefficient) staff hiring, support and advancement.

I hope that there are departments here that are well managed - and I do believe there are - but it seems that it's luck of the draw. For all of Bowdoin's hopes to become more fiscally efficient with its staffing, it's wasting untold resources on untalented individuals.

Lastly, there's money to be had at Bowdoin, but it's incredibly strangely dispersed (not necessarily by merit, influence or skill set value) and most staff positions receive fairly low salaries when compared to industry standards. If you want to receive fair compensation, negotiate hard up front. I haven't heard of legitimate pay increases once you're in the works here, though I'm sure there are exceptions to the rule.

Advice to Senior ManagementRun your college staff like it's a business.. because it is one. You can still remain true to your mission. Better manage your staff and you will find incredible return on investment and attract talented, motivated people willing to improve the college as they work.

An amazing place to work

Pros-Great work environment with lots of friendly people
    -A ton of perks working on a college campus (gym, dining hall/pub, etc.)
    -Regular work hours

Cons-Some red tape to getting stuff done, which can be frustrating

Took me a while to warm up to Bowdoin but now I love it

Student (Current Employee)
    Brunswick, ME

ProsFlexible environment, you get out what you put into it. Bowdoin provides the resources so that you can do some really amazing things if you set your mind to it. Being surrounded by incredibly intelligent people is a huge plus - every single person that got into the school brings something unique to the table. Tightknit community that provides many connections for job opportunities. Professors are awesome for the most part and will always give you individual attention if you seek it out.

ConsAdministration has seemed harsh and out of touch the past couple of years. Not the most socially gratifying school.. If you're looking to go to a place with a huge party every weekend Bowdoin is not the place for you. Can seem too small at times, but hey, it is what you make it. Obviously the weather during the winter sucks

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being so strict about stupid stuff. We're college kids, let us have some fun and let loose once in a while without having to worry about getting in trouble

Bowdoin is a great place to work

Communications and Enrollment Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGood benefits
    Strong sense of community
    Vibrant intellectual environment

ConsLocation: While Brunswick is charming, it's really not a vibrant area, especially for younger employees who wouldn't mind a semblance of a night life.

Friendly place to work with minimal bureaucracy

Director (Current Employee)
    Brunswick, ME

ProsShared respect for all faculty and staff
    Family friendly
    Great perks - new fitness center and beautiful pool
    Sustainability and environmental issues are priority
    Amazing natural resources and outdoor recreation nearby

ConsReduced conference travel due to economic downturn
    Relationship based
    No strategic plan

Advice to Senior ManagementMore communication across the college divisions. Create and publish a strategic plan for the entire college so the priorities are shared

Student

Student (Current Employee)
    Brunswick, ME

ProsAs a student at Bowdoin College I find it is a pleasant place. All employees are great and usually friendly.

ConsThe cold weather can be miserable. At times there is five feet of snow on the sides of the paths.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would suggest that they are more open about key cards. They have become more strict making sure people have their key cards for security reasons. However, it is oftentimes over the top.

Great place for faculty, not so for staff

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Brunswick, ME

ProsThe benefits are excellent—especially the retirement benefits. Employees also have access to a beautiful campus with lots of amenities. It's an especially great place if you have kids: access to the sports facilities, camps for kids during school vacation weeks, performances, museums, etc.

ConsThe senior administration is very weak-there is no vision or understanding about what a liberal arts college is all about, instead they have created a corporate atmosphere. They do not respect the administrative or support staff as professionals. There is no serious recognition of the staffs' accomplishments or contributions to the college—the administration's only attempts at this are to hold a summer picnic with prizes such as coupons and a holiday lunch. The Human Resources Department seems to focus on firing employees rather than supporting them.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop patronizing your staff, they are professionals and deserve to be treated as such.

Worked for Bowdoin College? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bowdoin College reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Bowdoin College CEO Barry Mills. All 12 reviews posted anonymously by Bowdoin College employees.