Bowdoin College Reviews

Bowdoin College Tour Guide

Former Employee - Tour Guide  in  Brunswick, ME
    Former Employee - Tour Guide in Brunswick, ME

I worked at Bowdoin College part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Bowdoin College is a fantastic place with fantastic people, and giving tours of it is a ton of fun. $10 per tour, but the real reward is the EXPERIENCE.

Cons

Sometimes you just finished a paper that you stayed up all night completing and then you have to give a tour in the morning, and that kind of sucks. But if you tell the tour guides assigned to the same slot as you all of this they will generally be sympathetic and take out that day's tour or tours, as long as there aren't so many people that you're also needed. Also the Admissions Office has free coffee for everyone all the time.

Wonderful place to work!

I have been working at Bowdoin College full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The work culture is willing to invest the extra time and money to "do it right." The location is a beautiful place to live and work. There is plenty of work to be done -- one can always find an interesting project to lead or contribute to.

Cons

There tends to be culture to work very hard without taking time off. Most of my peers have had their vacation accruals maxed out for years, with no hope of ever having a break in the workload to take (well-earned) time off.

Excellent place to work

I worked at Bowdoin College full-time for more than a year

Pros

Opportunities to do many different jobs in the span of a career

Cons

Must like working in a busy college environment

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great school

Former Employee - Line Server  in  Brunswick, ME
    Former Employee - Line Server in Brunswick, ME

I worked at Bowdoin College part-time for less than a year

Pros

The country's best liberal arts school

Cons

Nothing much. already good enough.

Weather is too cold

Potentially great, but be careful of the department you are hired into

Former Employee - Assistant Director  in  Brunswick, ME
    Former Employee - Assistant Director in Brunswick, ME

I worked at Bowdoin College full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits. One of few larger, stable employers in the midcoast region. Has a nice gym, for what that's worth.

Cons

I've witnessed terrible management here. Department managers receive no managerial training nor are they reviewed in any routine way. If you department is poorly managed, it unfortunately will not improve. I previously worked at educational institutions as well as other non-profits and Fortune 500s, and Bowdoin is the first place I've worked that's placed absolutely no emphasis on talent management or development. There is a fairly substantial waste of resources as well as completely arcane (and inefficient) staff hiring, support and advancement.

I hope that there are departments here that are well managed - and I do believe there are - but it seems that it's luck of the draw. For all of Bowdoin's hopes to become more fiscally efficient with its staffing, it's wasting untold resources on untalented individuals.

Lastly, there's money to be had at Bowdoin, but it's incredibly strangely dispersed (not necessarily by merit, influence or skill set value) and most staff positions receive fairly low salaries when compared to industry standards. If you want to receive fair compensation, negotiate hard up front. I haven't heard of legitimate pay increases once you're in the works here, though I'm sure there are exceptions to the rule.

Run your college staff like it's a business.. because it is one. You can still remain true to your mission. Better manage your staff and you will find incredible return on investment and attract talented, motivated people willing to improve the college as they work.

An amazing place to work

I have been working at Bowdoin College part-time

Pros

-Great work environment with lots of friendly people
    -A ton of perks working on a college campus (gym, dining hall/pub, etc.)
    -Regular work hours

Cons

-Some red tape to getting stuff done, which can be frustrating

Took me a while to warm up to Bowdoin but now I love it

Current Employee - Student  in  Brunswick, ME
    Current Employee - Student in Brunswick, ME

I have been working at Bowdoin College full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible environment, you get out what you put into it. Bowdoin provides the resources so that you can do some really amazing things if you set your mind to it. Being surrounded by incredibly intelligent people is a huge plus - every single person that got into the school brings something unique to the table. Tightknit community that provides many connections for job opportunities. Professors are awesome for the most part and will always give you individual attention if you seek it out.

Cons

Administration has seemed harsh and out of touch the past couple of years. Not the most socially gratifying school.. If you're looking to go to a place with a huge party every weekend Bowdoin is not the place for you. Can seem too small at times, but hey, it is what you make it. Obviously the weather during the winter sucks

Stop being so strict about stupid stuff. We're college kids, let us have some fun and let loose once in a while without having to worry about getting in trouble

Bowdoin is a great place to work

Current Employee - Communications and Enrollment Manager  in  Brunswick, ME
    Current Employee - Communications and Enrollment Manager in Brunswick, ME

I have been working at Bowdoin College full-time

Pros

Good benefits
    Strong sense of community
    Vibrant intellectual environment

Cons

Location: While Brunswick is charming, it's really not a vibrant area, especially for younger employees who wouldn't mind a semblance of a night life.

Friendly place to work with minimal bureaucracy

Current Employee - Director  in  Brunswick, ME
    Current Employee - Director in Brunswick, ME

I have been working at Bowdoin College

Pros

Shared respect for all faculty and staff
    Family friendly
    Great perks - new fitness center and beautiful pool
    Sustainability and environmental issues are priority
    Amazing natural resources and outdoor recreation nearby

Cons

Reduced conference travel due to economic downturn
    Relationship based
    No strategic plan

More communication across the college divisions. Create and publish a strategic plan for the entire college so the priorities are shared

Student

Current Employee - Student  in  Brunswick, ME
    Current Employee - Student in Brunswick, ME

I have been working at Bowdoin College

Pros

As a student at Bowdoin College I find it is a pleasant place. All employees are great and usually friendly.

Cons

The cold weather can be miserable. At times there is five feet of snow on the sides of the paths.

I would suggest that they are more open about key cards. They have become more strict making sure people have their key cards for security reasons. However, it is oftentimes over the top.

Worked for Bowdoin College? Contribute to the Community!