Bowie State University

Bowie State University Reviews

Updated Apr 11, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

I enjoyed working the fine performing arts center on campus

Assistant to Administrative Assistant (Former Employee)

I worked at Bowie State University part-time for more than a year

ProsI got to complete most of my assignments while at work

ConsI wish the job couldve lasted longer

Bowie State University is what you expect to experience at any typical historically black university/college maybe smal

I have been working at Bowie State University part-time

ProsIt is what you make of it you can define your own career as a student working with professors you can either take what they give you or take it and and spin it into something much better

ConsSometimes there are cliques that have the inside scoop on things so it is an absolute must that you network and mix and mingle so you are not left out or miss out on opportunities

Good life and work balance.

I have been working at Bowie State University full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood life and work balance, great respect from supervisors, free college credit classes.

ConsPay is low; this seems to be a systematic problem with HBCUs being underfunded. Lots of red tape.

Advice to Senior ManagementCut the red tape.

Great Experience

I have been working at Bowie State University

ProsIt's a place of diverse in culture

ConsI just have to leave to pursue my career

Bowie State University, Bowie, Maryland needs to enter this century.

Staff (Current Employee)

I have been working at Bowie State University full-time for more than a year

ProsStudents may feel that resources are more accessible due to relatively small campus. Administration is overtly biased to promoting staff persons who are school alums. Very prejudiced and small minded.

ConsStaff is coagulated and static. Same persons have been there for years. Many of the staff are related or members of the alumni. Not inclusive, nor particularly helpful for students who need the broad exposure that only comes from hiring persons who have diverse backgrounds.

Advice to Senior ManagementStep into 21st Century learning.

Dissatisfied Employee

Lecturer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Bowie State University full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe distance from home was critical for my search and acceptance of the job.

ConsA HBCU that discriminates against other minorities that are non-American born.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove Diversity to recognize that "Team Work" benefits students.

Studying and working in Bowie State university

Student Worker (Current Employee)
Bowie, MD

I have been working at Bowie State University as a contractor for more than a year

ProsThere is no need for commuting to class since you study and work in the same location. So, you get to class earlier than those working off campus. If you do not work in the IT department, you will most likely have some idle time for your home work. In terms of on-campus jobs, I consider it as the best place for International or out of state students.

ConsIf you work as a student Technician and you are the "nice guy", you will most likely work beyond your normal working hours. Extra work is unpaid. If you know how to say "no", then you would might be able to work your exact hours. But what do you do when the phone rings at 4:58PM? Meanwhile, you are supposed to close by 5:00PM. You pick the call, and the customer have you on the phone beyond your closing time. You won't walk away of course! So, its really hard to keep your exact working hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should try to retain the outstanding student workers.

Great place to work!

I have been working at Bowie State University full-time

ProsBowie is like a family, tuition remission, great retirement plan as BSU is a member of the University System of Maryland and State of Maryland, one of the best HBCU campuses, slowing growing but growing, one of the best HBCU kept secrets!

ConsIs an HBCU best kept secret, the majority of leadership is from the older 'traditional' generation, as a result the university has been slow to grow in terms of technology, process and procedures. I believe once the majority of them continue to retire it will allow the younger generation to step up and bring BSU up to date!

Advice to Senior ManagementMove over and let the younger generation bring BSU up to date.

Bowie State is the Worst Place to Work in Higher Education - They Have No Respect for Faculty

Assistant Professor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Bowie State University full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThe students are what keeps the faculty there dealing with the inept administration.

ConsThe Administration - I been working here for almost ten years and no one is really happy. The President and his staff are horrible. I get high performance appraisals so this is not sour grapes.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop taking advantage of your faculty and care more for the students. Try to increase the morale so that people will actually enjoy their job. The President is one of the least personable Presidents in the State of Maryland and his executive staff is worse. Bowie will not get better until they start with a clean slate.

graduate assistantship

Graduate Assistant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Bowie State University part-time for more than a year

ProsCoordinators of the program are really flexible with the time to make students more productive academically and professionally.

ConsThey are in development of proper location and area of work for students.

Worked for Bowie State University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bowie State University reviews and ratings. All 12 reviews posted anonymously by Bowie State University employees.