Box

Box Reviews in Los Altos, CA

Updated Jun 12, 2014

Box Co-founder & CEO Aaron Levie

Aaron Levie

Pros
  • The company is growing so fast there is amazing opportunity for advancement(in 6 reviews)

• Everyone is incredibly friendly, you get free food, the benefits are super cheap (though not free), and the CEO is inspiring(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is not very good compared with other similar stage companies(in 6 reviews)

• Company hyper growth has come at the expense of culture(in 5 reviews)

29 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Exciting, challenging work with lots of opportunities

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Los Altos, CA

ProsI absolutely love this company.

- They've done an amazing job hiring people who are not only incredibly talented but also a blast to work with. The culture is focused and supportive.
    - If you have the ambition, there are opportunities to match it. I've seen people make entire careers here in the span of a couple years.
    - Empowering management style. You're trusted to exercise good judgment and make your own decisions.
    - Experienced senior staff. SVP Engineering ran Google Apps for several years and is extremely sharp.

Cons- The company is growing extremely fast, so occasionally people get moved into leadership positions who shouldn't have been and it takes too long to move them out.
    - While people are empowered, they aren't always held accountable. The company has some growing up to do in that sense.
    - There is a lot of technical debt which can be pretty frustrating at times (but also means that most things are getting rewritten, which can be quite fun to do).

Advice to Senior Management- Act more quickly with poor performers in management.
    - Hold people accountable for their work.

Gilded Age

Sales (Former Employee) Los Altos, CA

Pros- Young start up atmosphere
    - Close to IPO
    - Awesome building interior
    - Discounted Gym Membership
    - Not too terrible of a product

Cons- Complete atmosphere 360! Back in Palo Alto were the good old days when we were working together and felt passionate about the company...since the move to Los Altos it was all down hill from there
    - Passive aggressive upper management. If you want to send a message to the team don't college roommate status write a note on your window by your desk.
    - Lack of any job growth or promotions
    - VERY POLITICAL especially for such a young company
    - Everyone talks about how much they want to get out of the company which brings down the work moral

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on hiring within the company and having a new VP bring in his/her good old crowd from their previous company.

Too many dissatisfied employees. It's a shame, Box had so much potential but has a terrible reputation in the Silicon Valley

Contractor

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Los Altos, CA

ProsUp-and-coming tech company
    Fun startup atmosphere

ConsContractors at Box not treated the way contractors should be - a contractor legally should not be held to the same terms that a full-time employee is, i.e., you should be allowed to work from home, set your own hours, etc. Box treats their contractors like any other full-time employee, but deny them the benefits that come with full time employment.
    Furthermore, many of the contractors have been at the company for over a year, or multiple years. If someone is skilled enough to do the work of any other regular employee, Box should not be able to keep people as contractors simply because it is a better deal for them.
    They also do not pay contractors overtime.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe way you are using contractors is legally wrong and morally wrong. If someone is skilled enough to do the job of a full-time employee, you should hire them as a full-time employee. It is wrong to deny someone full-time employment because you can get them for a better deal. You are also walking the line of legal wrong-doing here.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Amazing

Helpdesk Technician (Current Employee) Los Altos, CA

ProsCulture, benefits, people. Sharing a grand vision and constantly scrambling madly towards perfection.

ConsOpen floor plan, not for those who do not like t ocollaborate. Everything at Box is about collaboration :)

Advice to Senior ManagementLet the culture change itself. Do not force change :)

Big ideas, poor execution.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Los Altos, CA

ProsYoung workforce that fosters meeting people and making friends, enough snacks, etc. are provided to cover at least breakfast and lunch, free Caltrain passes, shuttles to/from SF, subsidized gym memberships, exciting time to be part of the company.

ConsInternal mobility is not impossible but it's not easy, middle management is inexperienced and lacks the skill set to effectively manage teams, work-life balance is non-existent, pay is not competitive unless you are an engineer.

Great place to start a career

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Los Altos, CA

ProsGreat people
    opportunities for growth
    growing transparency
    exciting future for the company

Conssome of the management can be young and inexperienced

Advice to Senior Managementdon't promote people (especially into management roles) because they've been here a while -- promote them because they deserve it

Why I love Box

Software Engineer, Code Reliability Engineer (Current Employee) Los Altos, CA

ProsThe atmosphere of the work is amazing. I fell in love with the place during the interview. Compared to the big companies I've worked for, they value work/life balance and I have had no problems working here. It's pretty much everything you could hope for in a job.

ConsNeed to move away from PHP

Career stalemate for ambitious recent grads...

(Former Employee) Los Altos, CA

ProsVery cool CEO, decent snacks, cool product

ConsZero career development, sub par benefits, weak lower management

Advice to Senior ManagementBox, like many start-ups in the area, fails to provide compelling career trajectories for the elite graduates it attracts. Turnover is especially high among new grads poached from neighboring Stanford and UC Berkeley, and overall job dissatisfaction is high.

Very little is done by HR or lower management to address obvious failures in the system. One of the the biggest problems with Box is that their recruiters (goaded by Levie) demand elite grads (from top 10 universities) and shove them into unfulfilling dead-end roles (I'm looking at you Tier 1 Tech Support Representatives, Customer Success Managers, Sales Development Representatives, etc.) under first-time managers who have no idea how to manage employees of that caliber.

The result? A culture of under-challenged, underemployed worker bees that are pretty much treading water career wise. My advice to Levie and the executive team would be to clean house of under-performing managers that stifle ambition and innovation, and invest in fostering the development of high-potential new hires. As it currently stands, this worrying trend of hiring externally and putting career development on the back-burner will only cause Box to continue bleeding top talent.

high-energy, fun, productive

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Los Altos, CA

ProsMy current employer, Box, has a great mix of high-energy "youngsters" and high-experience "oldsters". It's fun. It's productive. It's knowledge transfer both ways. Together we're high-impact.

ConsLegacy codebase, many projects, not enough hours in the day.

A place to both grow your skills and leave an impact

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Los Altos, CA

ProsAt Box you never find a shortage of things to work on. You can continue to grow your skills and expertise by tackling new and different problems more than you can at most other places. In addition, the people you work with are some of the best and from a wide variety of backgrounds. This means you even learn by listening.

And since Box is still a young company with problems and situations that are still unsolved, you can use the skills you learned here or elsewhere and leave a mark on the company. Something you work on will very likely be lying the foundation for future engineers and users. It's up to you to leverage that.

The compensation is pretty darn competitive for the area.

ConsThe compensation could be higher and internal mobility isn't exactly where it needs to be (they are working on it to their credit). And sometimes the opportunities you get means that you will be working some late hours. I've made it a goal to at least leave when there's sunlight at least twice a week. And as expected with a startup mentality, there's a bit of engineers being oncall which can sometimes lead to annoying weekends.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart promoting internally.

Worked for Box? Contribute to the Community!