Box

www.box.com

Box Reviews in Palo Alto, CA

Box Co-founder & CEO Aaron Levie

Aaron Levie

Pros
  • The company is growing so fast there is amazing opportunity for advancement(in 6 reviews)

• Everyone is incredibly friendly, you get free food, the benefits are super cheap (though not free), and the CEO is inspiring(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is not very good compared with other similar stage companies(in 6 reviews)

• Company hyper growth has come at the expense of culture(in 5 reviews)

23 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Amazing people working at a dynamic company

Marketing Intern (Former Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsSmart people passionately working to build a strong company

ConsCan't think of anything! n/a

Low market risk, high technical risk

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsBusiness is doing well, seems to be in the right place at the right time.
    High growth company (expanding rapidly in all dimensions), free food, fun environment.
    Charismatic CEO gets attention and buzz for the company.
    New VP of Engineering bringing maturity and leadership to engineering organization.

ConsIf you're industry experienced (not "senior" as that's 1-2 yr out of college at Box) expect to be working almost entirely with inexperienced/young engineers. Most are great to work with and want to learn however in general the culture does not value experience; be prepared to see lots of questionable judgement/competence demonstrated by the homegrown tenured developers leading projects.
    Engineering caliber and quality of people is below Google / Microsoft levels. Surprising number of "seniors" lacking CS fundamentals (OO design, what's cohesion? using assertions?) Some B's hiring C's going on (... will hopefully improve as Box adopts more google like model in hiring, reviews, etc.)
    Lots of untested legacy code, 10,000 line functions, tightly coupled and fragile code is common place. Major efforts to write tests and turn quality around but very much work in progress.

If I won the lottery, I would still be at work everyday

Sales (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsWorking at Box is a dream come true. I don't understand how this company merits less than 5 stars on Glassdoor. It must be people who expected to come in and be respected for not contributing anything. One thing is for sure, Box hires the best, and they expect the best. Now that we are pushing 450+, it is harder and harder to stand out but there are so many motivational factors to put in 110%. We have a lot of VP's, and they are all the brightest most down to earth people I have ever worked with. It is open seating, there are no offices, no cubicles. You might be sitting next to a VP, or the COO. It doesn't matter what your role is, if you have an idea you speak up, and you are listened to, it is truely an amazing place to work.

Free breakfast/lunch/dinner
    More snacks and food than you could want
    New office is unbelievable - slide, ping pong, pool table, TV's, amazing conference rooms
    Nationally recognized rewards - office, product, management, founders
    You have the chance to contribute and be listened to by upper management
    Free Caltrain pass (pretty sure that alone is a $2k value)
    Subsidized gym and cell phone
    Random happy hours on Thursday and Friday
    Company sponsored events (SF Giants!)

ConsEverything is constantly changing in flux. When you are hiring at 10x you can't keep the same processes for long. It gets overwhelming sometimes, but you know that everyday won't be the same. Scalable processes still haven't been put into place, but it is up to us to come up with those processes and implement them. Also career track isn't quite established in the sales group, but this could be a good thing for some. Instead of advancing in the sales team, it is possible to move horizontally to a different department

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep going 10x. This space is so hot right now, it is ours to lose. We have the most amazing product by far, it is a dream to sell, but once we become complacent we will lose the race. Keep doing what you are doing, the whole company is behind you and the morale is incredibly high

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Exiting space and technology

ConsLot of work
    Pressure to deliver

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on pushing

Box is an exciting company with a strong, fun-loving culture and an atmosphere of high success and higher expectations.

Sales Operations Manager (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsBox has a fun and youthful workforce that's given an opportunity to take on challenges and demonstrate their ability to own greater responsibility than they would have at other companies.

ConsThings move very fast here, and it's easy to get caught up in the whirlwind of hyper-growth. Employees need to be careful not to let the excitement of the place interfere with their work-life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't let your foot off of the gas! The time is now to take the company to the next level.

Overall, Box is a great place to work!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsBox is a great company! Growing fast with lots of opportunity to advance in your career path. They are always looking to maximize the talents they have in-house already.

ConsPay is at start-up rates. No matter how much experience, skills, and success you have achieved in past positions....their pay is below comparable market rates. Negotiate heavily upfront and get all comp/terms on the offer letter.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to acquire top talent....you need to be able to pay for it!

One of the best places to work in the Bay Area!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Palo Alto, CA

Pros- people are outstanding, diverse individuals
    - great benefits / perks / culture
    - great leadership team and product vision

Cons-no end to amount of work to be done ;)

Best job I've ever had

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

Pros* Work-hard, play-hard culture.
    * Respectful environment.
    * True meritocracy - individuals get rewarded for their output.
    * Flexible hours and PTO. (as long as you hit your deadlines)
    * Building a product used by millions of people.

Cons* The company is so focused on growing that sometimes individuals don't get as much attention as they could.
    * Sometimes company-wide communication is not as complete and timely as it could be.
    * Extremely competitive industry with lots of big players.

Advice to Senior ManagementOverall, keep doing what you're doing, make sure to invest in your people, and Box will have an extremely bright future!

Work Mill giving free food

(Former Employee) Palo Alto, CA

Pros-Free food (all kinds)
    -Beautiful and young crowd, average age here would be 25-26.
    -Laptop to everyone.

Cons-You will find yourself working 12X7 or 16X5 i.e. >80 hours week. I think it is ok even if you work hard couple of days in a week but working hard all time without any appreciation is not cool. It is almost as if working long hours is made an expectation out of everyone.
    -Extremely tight market with a new cloud storage company opening up almost every week. My bet is that it is going to be race to reduce the price till one day some giant will come and start giving unlimited cloud storage for free and shut down business of box, dropbox, etc. etc. It is very risky to join a company like box in a dicey industry.
    -Money is burnt on billboards and campaigns which is unusual for a private funded startup and really whacky for my senses.
    -New office in Los Altos will not be close to public transportation making difficult for people using Caltrain to commute.

Advice to Senior Management-Free dinner policy enticing people to stay late does not necessarily mean more work getting done. I think people will be stressed out if they stay too much time in office just to have free food and will not be able to come up with new ideas because they are not living a life outside. You know what: when people work with a plan of getting things done within 8 hours of day, they work more efficiently compared to what they will do when they think they have got whole day and night and weekend to do the job.
    -Use money sparingly, you never know when it will stop coming.
    -Try to develop a culture towards work-life balance for your employees so that they have a happy family life outside.

Love it!

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsThis place has an incredible buzz about it! There is a lot of youth and energy, and an almost tangible sense of excitement. The company also has a great team spirit, embodied in the Friday lunch all-hands meetings that usually feature plenty of humor as well as exciting news. I am far more excited and happier about working at Box than I have been at any other company in Silicon Valley.

ConsNo annual bonus, and sick days come out of PTO.

I'm worried that the upcoming move to a 3-story building in Los Altos may dilute some of the team spirit we currently get from all being on the same floor and make Box a more corporate environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing!

Worked for Box? Contribute to the Community!