Box

Box Reviews in Palo Alto, CA

4.0

Box Co-founder & CEO Aaron Levie
Aaron Levie

Pros
  • The company is growing so fast there is amazing opportunity for advancement (in 6 reviews)

• Everyone is incredibly friendly, you get free food, the benefits are super cheap (though not free), and the CEO is inspiring (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is not very good compared with other similar stage companies (in 6 reviews)

• Company hyper growth has come at the expense of culture (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

23 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

I work with rockstars!

Current Employee - Engineering in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Box

Pros

Box.net is an incredible place to work if you're at the top of your game and willing to work hard. The pace is fast and the work and company culture are engaging - the days and weeks go by in a flash. This is the first company I've worked for that truly walks the talk of "work hard - play hard", and my direct co-workers, without exception, are exceptional on both a personal and professional level. As if this weren't enough, the company takes very good care of its employees - I can't imagine a better company to work for!

Cons

If you or your family are not comfortable with working hard at a fast-paced company, Box.net probably isn't for you...

Keeping the company culture intact as we continue to grow rapidly will be a challenge and vital to employee retention when we're no-longer "a start-up". Keep things fun, keep hiring great employees, keep rewarding excellent performance, and keep a step or two ahead of the competition!

Challenging, Fun, and Exciting

Current Employee - Sales in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Box

Pros

- Fantastic co-workers- Very collaborative environment
    - Each employee is given the chance to make real change happen and contribute
    - Fun office (swings, small driving range, ping-pong, video games, and comfy couches)
    -Great perks (ie. Highly discounted Equinox gym membership: complete with an Equinox next door, all the food and drinks you could ever want,free Caltrain pass, great health coverage, etc)

Cons

- Not matching 401k contribution- yet
    - Upper management is very busy and hands-off
    - Lots to get done, still in startup mode(this could actually be a pro, depending on what you're looking for)

Keep up the good hiring and high standards on all fronts. Also, keep all individuals motivated and expectation clear as to what is most helpful to the forward momentum of Box.net

Awesome workplace!

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Box

Pros

Free food, fun culture, and people are super smart and do work hard! Company is growing fast!

Cons

Hours could be long, but everyone seems to be happy to stay late.

Box.net is a fantastic place to work!!!

I have been working at Box

Pros

Brilliant people, energetic environment, hyper growth

Cons

my commute is a bit long

keep doing what you're doing!

Changes are happening

I have been working at Box

Pros

Great culture
    Some people on the management team are transparent and great to work with
    Awesome co-workers
    Very smart, passionate and talented people
    Collaborative work environment

Cons

Management (with the exception of a few) is not proactive at keeping people focused on personal growth
    Negative energy from some senior management
    Mismanaged expectations and very poor communication and follow through

Keep your top employees energized or you will start losing them
    Follow through on promises for career growth opportunities
    Communicate changes in personnel better to the team

Awesome Place to Work

I have been working at Box

Pros

Box has an incredibly open, fun culture. People enjoy coming into work every day and you can feel the energy in the building when you walk in. The people are motivated and the company is growing quickly so everyone is continually taking on new responsibilities and learning new things.

Cons

Sometimes things get pretty hectic because there are so many different things going on. Everyone is learning on the job and there aren't as many formal mentor-mentee relationships as I might like.

I think the management is doing a great job building a fun place to work and making sure that all employees feel valued at Box. Keep up the good work!

Great place to work

I have been working at Box

Pros

Awesome team
    Everyone has fair share of work
    Growing startup with great future and opportunities

Cons

Sometimes immature, could use more gorwing up
    Salary compensation/ benefits could be higher

You rock, don't change at all

Best place to start a career

I have been working at Box

Pros

I joined Box.net right after graduate school, and it's been an amazing experience for the past ~2 years. This is a place where there's too much to do, so I never got bored. It can be chaotic, but in the process I have the opportunity to be involved in many product launches in a small period of time - more than I saw at any company where I interned. There's also plenty of support from everyone at the company, who share a high level of enthusiasm, motivation, and love of the work.

It's really a challenge, the work is diverse, and the team is diverse. The founders are very young but brilliant, and brought on more experienced talent as the company grew - so you see a variety of different personalities that work together.

Then there's the benefits - I work hard, but the company makes it up through a flexible schedule. They also provided extra perks comparable to those of larger companies.

Cons

There's the standard challenges of a startup - having too much to do with the resources you have, and dealing with constant change (most recently from the sudden growth in the company's size). I wouldn't actually consider this a bad thing, just uncomfortable at times, but great for experience.

Just keep up the enthusiasm, and don't lose momentum while the company keeps expanding.

Box.net: fast-growing start-up with great people, perks & product

I have been working at Box

Pros

Top reason to work at Box.net: awesome employees. The Box crew is a smart, passionate, slightly nerdy bunch - a good mix of motivated young employees and experienced executives from top tech companies in the Valley. Senior leadership is accessible, and all employees are very committed to making Box.net the top product in it's category. There are also lots of perks, like free daily lunches, including a Friday all-hands "family" lunch, and great benefits. The office is also cool - a three-story New Orleans manor-style building with lots of open spaces, including a big kitchen and rec room with a pool table.

Cons

The commute from the city (San Francisco) can be rather arduous, so a lot of employees live locally. Also, if you're not self-motivated, Box.net probably won't be a good fit as there's very little micro-managing - employees are given a lot of free reign and independence, but are expected to deliver!

With so many new employees joining weekly, it would be good to have an official round-up of sorts via email in addition to announcements at Friday lunches. As the company grows in size, it will be important to retain a sense of community.

Box.net is a great place to start and develop your career.

I have been working at Box

Pros

-Management really cares about employee input and feedback.
    -Great company culture and perks, such as casual dress, free lunches.
    -Young company so the roles and leadership opportunities are still developing

Cons

-Pay somewhat below industry average, based on similar roles in other companies
    -Benefits like 401K (matching) and PTO could be better but it's a start-up

Continue to seek employee feedback and ideas; it is very much appreciated and will keep the atmosphere open and collaborative.