Box

Updated December 15, 2014
4.0

Box Co-founder & CEO Aaron Levie
Aaron Levie

Pros
  • The company is growing so fast there is amazing opportunity for advancement (in 6 reviews)

• Everyone is incredibly friendly, you get free food, the benefits are super cheap (though not free), and the CEO is inspiring (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is not very good compared with other similar stage companies (in 6 reviews)

• Company hyper growth has come at the expense of culture (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company to work at

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Los Altos, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Los Altos, CA

I have been working at Box

Pros

Fast growth and an extremely great place to work and learn. The teamwork and collaborative spirit is inspiring and some of the projects that are being done throughout the company are very innovative.

Cons

Because of the fast-paced work, it can sometimes be hard to keep up

Look forward to work everyday

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Altos, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Altos, CA

I have been working at Box full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You know that feeling on Sunday evening when you dread coming into work on Monday? Well, you'll never get that at Box. I literally enjoy coming into work every single day and I sometimes have to remind myself to get home in the evenings.

A candidate recently asked me why I like working at Box so much. It's definitely the culture and the people that keep me energized. Think of it as being in a very engaging and accepting social environment where you also get a ton of great work done.

Cons

As a company on the cutting edge of SaaS, we serve a ton of high demanding customers who expect the best from their software vendors. This requirement for excellence can produce many high pressure situations and it takes a little bit of experience to understand how to serve these customers well.

Levie is a visionary and pushes all teams to deliver their best. Continue hiring A players who think big and never settle for B players just to fill roles.

Excellent culture, good comp and nice people

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Altos, CA

I have been working at Box full-time

Pros

The best place I worked so far. Fast growing, full of passion, and you can learn tons from here. The entire atmosphere are awesome, people around are energetic, colleague are smart, funny and very nice! Everyone are easy to communication and ask for help. Compensation is great, close to IPO, I believe if you work hard you can get what you pay for.

Cons

Don't find really one so far, office feel a little crowd now, need move to a spacious place. Codebase is a little mess, have some tech debate need solve.

Incredible culture, nice people

Current Employee - Product Manager in Los Altos, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Los Altos, CA

I have been working at Box full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Really great people to work with. Incredible lower level management and amazing Exec staff with great vision, guidance, accessibility. Generally way more mobility than almost any other tech company. Tired of sales, try operations. Tired of CS, try product. Moving is hard but DOABLE

Cons

A million VPs. Everyone's a VP. And it goes to their head. While lower management and exec staff is great, department heads lack true knowledge of the details and it shows in their delivery and calling out people as scapegoats when they have no idea what is going on.

Too many VPs... turning into iBanking title structure. While lower level management is great, as well as exec, department leaders lack knowledge of day to day projects and are in a weird high-level vs. detail middle ground.

Experience & Energy

I have been working at Box full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Many people with great experience to share, many people with high energy to get things done! There's a sense of mission and devotion to quality. Office culture and policies constantly being reviewed to make things better.

Cons

So many things to do, you have to learn to keep focus. Open Office setup takes some getting used to.

"Stay the Course".

Great Company!

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Box full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working for a company that has leadership that is as passionate about the company as they are about the employees and product is very refreshing. Lots of added perks to the job such as, great offices, ergonomic desks, great snacks, free lunch and on-going training in different areas of your expertise, etc.

Cons

The challenges of a growing company are not for everyone, things change quickly and it requires you to adjust and adapt on a dime.

Keep investing in your current employees and management team!
    Make changes fast...

Exciting market opportunity

I have been working at Box

Pros

Great company - people here are smart, enthusiastic, collaborative and want to make an impact.

Cons

Everything going very fast here

Great People, Great Vision

I have been working at Box full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fast growing which is really exciting. By far greatest company culture and people I've been around professionally. If you want the opportunity to work with smart innovative people, Box is the place. Leadership has a real vision for the company.

Cons

Fast growing, which also has a lot of downside at times. As a result everyone wears multiple hats and everyone is doing multiple jobs. Can be disorganized because of hyper-growth.

Perks and benefits are pretty competitive. Only advice is that the product itself can try to be too accommodating to our large range of customers and often suffers because of it.

Exciting, challenging work with lots of opportunities

I have been working at Box full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I absolutely love this company.

- They've done an amazing job hiring people who are not only incredibly talented but also a blast to work with. The culture is focused and supportive.
    - If you have the ambition, there are opportunities to match it. I've seen people make entire careers here in the span of a couple years.
    - Empowering management style. You're trusted to exercise good judgment and make your own decisions.
    - Experienced senior staff. SVP Engineering ran Google Apps for several years and is extremely sharp.

Cons

- The company is growing extremely fast, so occasionally people get moved into leadership positions who shouldn't have been and it takes too long to move them out.
    - While people are empowered, they aren't always held accountable. The company has some growing up to do in that sense.
    - There is a lot of technical debt which can be pretty frustrating at times (but also means that most things are getting rewritten, which can be quite fun to do).

- Act more quickly with poor performers in management.
    - Hold people accountable for their work.

Great company, awesome people

I worked at Box as an intern

Pros

great company culture, awesome perks, got to be involved in lots of different things

Cons

some lack of organization, can be long hours depending on what you are working on

Box Response

Apr 7, 2014Manager Sales Recruiting

Thank you for your feedback! The Recruiting team loves referrals, so if you have friends or past colleagues who you think would be happy here, please send them our way.