Box

Box Reviews

Updated Jun 12, 2014

Box Co-founder & CEO Aaron Levie

Aaron Levie

Pros
  • The company is growing so fast there is amazing opportunity for advancement(in 6 reviews)

• Everyone is incredibly friendly, you get free food, the benefits are super cheap (though not free), and the CEO is inspiring(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is not very good compared with other similar stage companies(in 6 reviews)

• Company hyper growth has come at the expense of culture(in 5 reviews)

Gilded Age

Sales (Former Employee) Los Altos, CA

Pros- Young start up atmosphere
    - Close to IPO
    - Awesome building interior
    - Discounted Gym Membership
    - Not too terrible of a product

Cons- Complete atmosphere 360! Back in Palo Alto were the good old days when we were working together and felt passionate about the company...since the move to Los Altos it was all down hill from there
    - Passive aggressive upper management. If you want to send a message to the team don't college roommate status write a note on your window by your desk.
    - Lack of any job growth or promotions
    - VERY POLITICAL especially for such a young company
    - Everyone talks about how much they want to get out of the company which brings down the work moral

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on hiring within the company and having a new VP bring in his/her good old crowd from their previous company.

Too many dissatisfied employees. It's a shame, Box had so much potential but has a terrible reputation in the Silicon Valley

Exciting market opportunity

ProsGreat company - people here are smart, enthusiastic, collaborative and want to make an impact.

ConsEverything going very fast here

Great culture, awesome people, and a solid product

ProsThe culture is amazing and the people there are the best. It's like going to work with your friends. It's a very open and flat environment where everyone is motivated to do their best and make an impact.

ConsCareer growth and compensation don't seem to be as competitive as other cloud companies. Things are constantly changing there that it's at times difficult to keep up.

Advice to Senior ManagementDoing a better job of being competitive in terms of retaining current proven talent.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great People, Great Vision

ProsFast growing which is really exciting. By far greatest company culture and people I've been around professionally. If you want the opportunity to work with smart innovative people, Box is the place. Leadership has a real vision for the company.

ConsFast growing, which also has a lot of downside at times. As a result everyone wears multiple hats and everyone is doing multiple jobs. Can be disorganized because of hyper-growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementPerks and benefits are pretty competitive. Only advice is that the product itself can try to be too accommodating to our large range of customers and often suffers because of it.

Exciting, challenging work with lots of opportunities

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Los Altos, CA

ProsI absolutely love this company.

- They've done an amazing job hiring people who are not only incredibly talented but also a blast to work with. The culture is focused and supportive.
    - If you have the ambition, there are opportunities to match it. I've seen people make entire careers here in the span of a couple years.
    - Empowering management style. You're trusted to exercise good judgment and make your own decisions.
    - Experienced senior staff. SVP Engineering ran Google Apps for several years and is extremely sharp.

Cons- The company is growing extremely fast, so occasionally people get moved into leadership positions who shouldn't have been and it takes too long to move them out.
    - While people are empowered, they aren't always held accountable. The company has some growing up to do in that sense.
    - There is a lot of technical debt which can be pretty frustrating at times (but also means that most things are getting rewritten, which can be quite fun to do).

Advice to Senior Management- Act more quickly with poor performers in management.
    - Hold people accountable for their work.

Great company, awesome people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgreat company culture, awesome perks, got to be involved in lots of different things

Conssome lack of organization, can be long hours depending on what you are working on

Box Manager Sales Recruiting responded to this review

Apr 7, 2014

Thank you for your feedback! The Recruiting team loves referrals, so if you have friends or past colleagues who you think would be happy here, please send them our way.

Crazy times!

ProsGreat culture and direction from the top!

ConsSome people are great but some others are not...

Advice to Senior ManagementThink carefully about those you allow to define strategy within Box!

Contractor

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Los Altos, CA

ProsUp-and-coming tech company
    Fun startup atmosphere

ConsContractors at Box not treated the way contractors should be - a contractor legally should not be held to the same terms that a full-time employee is, i.e., you should be allowed to work from home, set your own hours, etc. Box treats their contractors like any other full-time employee, but deny them the benefits that come with full time employment.
    Furthermore, many of the contractors have been at the company for over a year, or multiple years. If someone is skilled enough to do the work of any other regular employee, Box should not be able to keep people as contractors simply because it is a better deal for them.
    They also do not pay contractors overtime.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe way you are using contractors is legally wrong and morally wrong. If someone is skilled enough to do the job of a full-time employee, you should hire them as a full-time employee. It is wrong to deny someone full-time employment because you can get them for a better deal. You are also walking the line of legal wrong-doing here.

Great

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEveryone is so friendly and personable. Was able to work with very intelligent and creative people.

ConsCompany is moving very quickly--too much to do, too little time. However this is the nature of a fast-paced growing company so I wasn't surprised by the amount of work

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Fast-Paced, Challenging, and Fun

ProsThere's never a dull moment. If you take initiative, there is always something amazing to do. And generally people are more than happy to step out of the way to let you go enact your vision or jump in to help depending on what you need. Everyone is incredibly friendly, you get free food, the benefits are super cheap (though not free), and the CEO is inspiring. This is a hot place to work- there's no doubt about it.

ConsA lot of the folks are very inexperienced, and it can be frustrating to come in with experience under your belt and have to watch people make rookie mistakes without being able to jump in and save them from themselves. It's very frowned upon to say "Hey- you're doing this wrong". If you're trying to do something brand new- the sky's the limit. But if you're trying to change an existing system or practice, it can be very challenging to do so while tip-toeing around everyone's feelings. In some ways- it's great to be in a place that's so positive. In some ways it's paralyzing. This is particularly true if you're in the Customer Success department where an army of rookie, poorly trained (But very well-intentioned and hard-working) CSMs are running the show in ways that defy all logic (and their supervisors).

Advice to Senior ManagementEvery department in Box moves at light speed except your Customer Success department. I know you want to keep things positive (and you should), but we need a little more top-down management to ensure that people are working in ways that further the organization's larger goals and not just their own.

Box Manager Sales Recruiting responded to this review

Apr 7, 2014

Thank you for your insight! Your People Partner would love to hear more of your feedback. Please reach out to share your thoughts and ideas about how we can continue to improve.

Worked for Box? Contribute to the Community!