Boxwood Technology
www.boxwoodtech.com Hunt Valley, MD 16 to 50 Employees

Boxwood Technology Reviews

Updated Jul 4, 2014
Boxwood Technology – Herndon – “Hitting the sales target!”

Boxwood Technology President Christine Smith

Christine Smith

Strong company, great team, good work environment

Consultant (Current Employee)
    Herndon, VA

ProsBoxwood is a very well-managed company with a great reputation within its industry. As a market leader, Boxwood employees have a "do what it takes" mentality to support their customers. Though no longer a start-up Boxwood retains an entrepreneurial spirit - willing to try new approaches and adapt quickly to changing conditions. The management team is very accessible and open to feedback. In fact, at the company State of the Union meetings the president stands in front of the company and reads/answers all questions submitted anonymously. Frequently these result in changes implemented within a week of the meeting. Overall, a very good place to work. Boxwood promotes a strong work/life balance.

ConsBoxwood is a lean, profitable, growing company with great ambition. Without the resources of a bigger company, it is easy to want more help to get the job done. Therein lies the challenge facing most companies -- striking the balance of knowing when to spend more resources without impacting profitability. All in all, Boxwood has struck that balance.

Not a great company to work for

ProsClose to home
    Great work hours
    Great people to work with
    Beautiful work space
    Location is easily accessible by public transportation

ConsLack of standard and nepotism like i've never seen. No room for advancement and worst of all there is a great lack of leadership skills.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave some company values by showing some respect to your employees to retain them.

Quite Possibly the Worse Place in the World to Work

Won't Say (Former Employee)
    Herndon, VA

ProsThere are no pros to working at this company. I guess they pay you but for some people they don't even bother doing that. One consultant didn't get paid for almost a month and half. How ridiculous is that!

ConsThe President of the company will randomly engage you in topics that have nothing to do with business. I.e. if she should redecorate the kitchen. She parades her status around and parks her Mercedes where she can see it. She will bring some of the sales team to her home to fix her nasty drain, and expect them to jump everytime that she enters a room. Other upper management is hard to read and will provide you with non constructive criticism every time you work on any type of project. You could also meet any of your goals and they would not give you a raise. I worked there three years, no raise and I gained a lot of weight from the stress of working there. If you're not working 7 am - 7 pm they don't want anything to do with you.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider quitting your jobs and doing really anything else. You're not good at management. One of the members of the management team is very intelligent and gets brought down by the minion tasks that the President provides to him.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company; lots of growth; excellent benefits; wonderful people

Sales Executive (Current Employee)
    Herndon, VA

ProsCompany has had excellent growth year over year (except one year of the recession and even then, it grew, just not as much) due to exceptional management, a loyal customer base, ongoing product development and enhanced support services. Benefits include generous PTO and more paid holidays than most companies, as well as 401(k), solid health care coverage and FSA. Employees are fun, smart people that really care about what they do, many of whom have worked for the company for quite a long time.

ConsNot a lot of management hierarchy so there are fewer opportunities for promotion, but it also means most staff have direct lines to senior management. Only other downside is the occasional bad hire who decides to go on sites like this to vent their frustrations and paint an unrealistic picture of what the company is really like -- the negative comments in these reviews definitely tell you more about those individuals than they do about Boxwood.

A company that cares about it's employees!

Sales Executive (Current Employee)
    Herndon, VA

ProsI have been with the company for over 3 years and it's a real family atmosphere. The base pay is fair - I'm in sales and the commission plan is great if you perform. The ones who are complaining were not likely good sales people. The PTO plan is generous staring at 3 weeks and then moves to 5 weeks after a few years. Plus they give a lot of other days off - Columbus Day, President's Day, etc… Really gives time for family or personal time. The office is bright with lots of light and a big kitchen. Someone said it was dirty. Don't get that it's a ll brand new and has an evening cleaning service that comes in. The product is a good one- and everyone really seems to care about the customer. The president does meetings a few times a year to tell us everything that is going on and then there is a team happy hour. Makes for a good environment.

ConsIt's a small company - about 75 people. So not much opportunity for advancement. But my manager says they are looking at that. Some people want flex time and the company doesn't want to do that - but personally 8:30-5:30 makes sense for me. I want to be there when I can make sales. Matching 401K would be great. They used to do it and then stopped.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to 401K matching. It would really make a difference to some of us. Keep the golden emails coming! More team happy hours.

Great company with consistent growth and good leadership.

National Account Executive (Former Employee)
    Herndon, VA

ProsQuotas and goals were clear; management was available to discuss issues, provide feedback and address concerns; wasn't required to work a lot of extra hours; great holiday schedule and ample paid time off.

ConsNot a lot of opportunities for advancement; sales training was good but would have liked to have had more; the CMS system was difficult to use at first, but improvements were being made when I left; there were a few bad apples in the bunch that created distractions; office park location had limited food options within walking distance.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate some kind of career plan for sales reps; have more prizes and contests instead of just yearly contests; provide more leads to support sales; continue to improve the system to make it more efficient; get more of the good associations on the sales support.

no place to work

Marketing Executive (Former Employee)

Proslocation, hours, co-workers, dress code, clean bathrooms

Consmanagement, supervision, growth potential, trust, ceo should take a closer look

Advice to Senior Managementclean house of management up to CEO

Train wreck; poor management, ignorant managers, arrogant managers

Inside Sales Person (Former Employee)

Prosgood location; It's in Herndon

ConsMismanagement, blind by choice ownership, negative work environment, managing through fear, petty, favoritism, massive turnover, dirty work space

Advice to Senior Managementfire them all from the president on down through supervisors and team leads

Stuck in the Mud!!!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsHoliday schedule, hours, great, fun co-workers

ConsBenefit packages lack, little to no advancement opportunities, training lacks, management team lacks cohesive bond. Organization does not believe in raises at all!

Advice to Senior ManagementI've worked for anything from start ups to large corporations, Boxwood is clearly a middling company. Too large to be small; too small to be large. The problem is there is no growth. No company growth, no sales growth, no opportunity growth for its employees. In my opinion all roads point to the short sightedness and fractured status of the senior management team. And like any non cohesive nucleus things fall apart fast. The organization ignores it clients, competitors, and employees in a manner that can be described as arrogance for lack of a better word. Outside of initial touch points new hire training lacks with exception of daily meetings that while are sometimes entertaining but do not help a sales association drive sales. Competitive obstacles are ignored because "they are better" than the competition. Contests and incentives are non existent or worse often not paid when owed. The cost of living increases each year except if you live in Boxwoodland where the incorrect belief is there is no need for raises because their employees are far better compensated than others in the DC Metro area....not true as evidenced by the exodus of success former employees who have all found jobs with better compensation packages at local sales organizations. My advice; you want better results ask some employes what would motivate them and REALLY listen and make changes. Boxwood might find that the change needed really doesn't cost more than caring about their most valuable asset- the employee!

Not very pleasant. Felt like I was in utter chaos.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Herndon, VA

ProsEmployees are very respectful, friendly and nice to work with. Facility is nice.

ConsSmall company. Upper management does not know how to talk or treat employees with respect at Herndon location. Saw several employees come and go within a very short time span. One manager cannot handle stress and has unrealistic time deadlines/restraints. Major problems with IT and with communication. Some management not knowledgeable about duties they hand off to others.

Worked for Boxwood Technology? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Boxwood Technology reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Boxwood Technology CEO Christine Smith. All 12 reviews posted anonymously by Boxwood Technology employees.