Boy Scouts of America Reviews

Reset
1.0
Boy Scouts of America Chief Scout Executive Wayne Brock
Wayne Brock

Pros
  • It feels like you really make a difference (in 15 reviews)

• A Majority of the volunteers are great people and have a strong understanding of the program (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Ultimately I left to achieve a better work life balance for my family's sake (in 17 reviews)

• Non traditional hours and some late nights and weekends (in 15 reviews)

1. District executive

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Boy Scouts of America full-time

Pros

Pays decent if your coming out of college and like the scouting movement

Cons

Will work 80 plus hours or you will be fired. low pay for that kind of time. You will work on vacations. Micro-managed to death.

Advice to Management

None

2. Great place to Worker.

Current Employee - District Executive/Not for Profit Organization in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Boy Scouts of America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people with a strong work ethic. Dedícated to the youth they serve. Great place to refine skills but what marketable skills are you refining? The skills are only relevant to Scouting.

Cons

Low pay except for the top Management. Long hours. Little room for growth unless you work at low wages for years and be willing to transfer all over the nation.

Advice to Management

Eliminate paperwork and streamline work, Too much waste.

3. Recently Cut all hours in Supply Group

Current Employee - Full Time Sales Associate in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Full Time Sales Associate in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Boy Scouts of America full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working with and helping children. It is fun to see excited kids everyday. Health Insurance is very cheapl

Cons

They cut full time employees down to 32 hours and part time to under 20.. I recently received a raise ONLY to be making LESS money when my hours where cut. Almost $1.00/hr raise and then 3 months later cut hours. Local Store manager is horrible, fusses, cusses and comes in drunk half the time. Found out later that upper management said hours only had to be cut during July BUT local store manager doesn't read her emails and the TMs don't do a good enough job sending that information to the stores! HR in this company should really do something

Advice to Management

Read your emails. Ask questions if you don't understand them. When your employees ask you to see what the TM really means, please listen to them. I will be calling HR sometime this week

5. Not worth it, even if you're desperate.

Former Employee - District Executive

Pros

Some of the volunteers are good to work with, if you're lucky.

Cons

Horribly managed. Horrible pay. Horrible schedule.

Only work here if you like to be disrespected and belittled

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Boy Scouts of America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome Mission Great Kids Passionate Volunteers Flexible Schedule Training Benefit Package Highly Respected and Recognized Organization

Cons

Managers don't like employees Managers operate on superiority complex If you don't fit the mold you wont grow (be promoted within the company) Very low morale among staff One puppet master manipulating a pyramid styled leadership system

Advice to Management

Stop using intimidation to control the masses Actually appreciate your staff for the work they do on a daily basis You have a staff of awesome people but they no longer respect you so they are no longer loyal to you. Don't play the victim after you are confronted about your actions Don't allow yourself to be used as a pawn, your boss is saving his own behind not yours just as much as he isn't looking out for field staff.

Unless you were a Boy Scout, this is the worst job ever.

Former Employee - District Executive

Pros

You can be an absolute idiot to do this job. Only skill you need is the ability to kiss as much butt as possible.

Cons

You will work around the clock, deal with rude volunteers and the micro-managing is out of control.

8. Supply Group-Bent over backwards for the company and ended up getting screwed

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Boy Scouts of America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They provide plentiful PTO and vacation days every year. Most of your peers are nice and helpful. Merchandise is of decent quality and easy to sell.

Cons

Benefits: Expensive. Point of service software is outdated and a pain to work with. Pay for management is below the standard and raises are a joke. Communication is broken between upper level management and the stores. It's all about the "good old boy" network here.

Overall review

Former Employee - Community Relations
    Former Employee - Community Relations

Pros

Very few come to mind. Was a rough job all around.

Cons

Hours, pay, expectations. They were all below average.

Like taking a job aboard the Titanic.

Former Employee - District Executive in Warner Robins, GA
    Former Employee - District Executive in Warner Robins, GA

I worked at Boy Scouts of America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Worst job experience I've ever had. Not really any pros to speak of, unless you count the fact I am no longer working there as a "pro." One of my volunteers, who was a former DE himself, told me this mantra for working for the BSA: "You're paid a pittance and treated like crap." I found this to be abundantly true.

Cons

First, they made me move to a new city, when there was an opening in the one I was already living. Didn't pay for my relocation. This was the first red flag that not all was right with the BSA, but I took the job anyway. Next, they told me they would send me to Texas for training after my 90 days...that came and went with no mention of this training. And I was never fully trained for my position there. Then I discovered that there is absolutely no work-life balance whatsoever. They expected you to be married to the job 24/7. Not uncommon to be in the office from 8am to 5pm, and then have meetings with your volunteers well into night. Like 9 or 10pm. Most work weeks I put to put in 70+ hours in, some weeks even inching close to 90. With no paid overtime. Lovely. Mind you, this was while being paid, with a Masters, 30k a year while management was making around 100k. If not more. Management? Horrible management; it was more like working for a petty dictatorship than a nonprofit. The CEO and CFO at my Council probably couldn't competently manage a lemonade stand let alone a million-dollar budget non-profit. Harassment was the currency of the realm; I was told more often than not what a horrible person I was by management for not meeting fundraising goals (that they set for me) than ever a slight "thanks" for doing something good. Often times I was brought into the CEO's office, told what I was doing wrong and when I tried to speak in my defense, I was told I wasn't allowed to speak. Criticizing an employee for not being able to do his job is one thing; never training that same employee and accusing him of not doing his job is a horse of a completely different color. Too much lip-service given to the Scout Oath, Law and Christian values while no one really acted upon it. Never seen a bigger group of holier-than-thou people walking around, telling everyone how great and religious they were while actively sabotaging and backstabbing their volunteers and coworkers. I've seen monks less pious than people who worked at this Council. I was also told I was going to have to join the Order of the Arrow, I had no choice in the matter. Last time I checked, in America, you can't force employees to join any kind of union or fraternal organization when they have no interest in it. I was also told I wasn't allowed to be publicly involved in any other organization outside the Scouts i.e. Masons or the Republican party (of which I was a member of both). Favoritism. Favoritism runs amok; if you're a former Scout, you get away from murder but female employees and males with no Scouting background get treated the worst. I came in right after the membership policy changed and management refused to recognize that that decision was effecting their fundraising efforts. The rural South doesn't have the money to contribute, and those that do won't because they no longer wish to be associated with the BSA. For good reasons. And of course, when this was brought up to management, you were told you didn't know what you were talking about. Speaking of fundraising, most of that money raised through Friends of Scouting doesn't go back to the packs or troops, but to line the pockets of management and ensure that the budget for the Council is met. The fact they make DEs lie to volunteers and parents about where and how that money raised is use made me physically ill. Actually, fundraising shouldn't even be what this was called because it gives a disservice to real fundraising. You're basically a direct-sales marketer, calling past donors and cold-calls alike begging for money. If I wanted to be a telemarketer... On my honor, working for the BSA was the worst work experience of my life. I was treated miserably, went home everyday feeling defeated and crestfallen. I've never felt so relieved to leave a company before. Caveat emptor. Take the job only if you like drinking the Kool-Aid. If you blindly tote the organization line, you're fine but any voice of dissent and they will cut you from the herd and let you bleed in the wilderness.

Advice to Management

Clean house, get new Scout Executives across the board. Those that are in those positions now are only looking at consolidating power. Also, recognize the facts on the ground: evangelical Christians do not want to associate with you and the economy is effecting your fundraising. Wake-up and face reality. Also, start treating the LDS Church better or you'll see them walk. Finally, stop making your employees contribute to Friends of Scouting out of their paychecks. If not, have fun while the ship sinks into the icy abyss.

High energy, but disregard for employee safety poor management.

Former Contractor - Camp Counselor in Silva, MO
    Former Contractor - Camp Counselor in Silva, MO

I worked at Boy Scouts of America as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Being a professional scout and getting paid to help create a fantastic scouting experience for the next generation. It feels like you really make a difference.

Cons

Management at multiple levels had a total disregard for training, osha, and employee satisfaction. Employees are expected to work truly insane hours at times. I put in multiple 90+ hour weeks and that is not uncommon.

RSS Feed </> Embed