Boy Scouts of America

Updated September 10, 2014
3.3

Boy Scouts of America Chief Scout Executive Wayne Brock
Wayne Brock

Pros
  • As an employee, you can make a difference in the lives of scouts and leaders (in 10 reviews)

• You get to meet great people trying to better their community (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Hours can be real long and there are many nights and weekends (in 13 reviews)

• Ultimately I left to achieve a better work life balance for my family's sake (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

BSA

Current Employee - District Executive BSA  in  Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - District Executive BSA in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Boy Scouts of America full-time for less than a year

Pros

good job, pays decent for small town

Cons

bad job, everyone wants in your business

free time please

Fantastic

Former Employee - Sport Head  in  Talihina, OK
    Former Employee - Sport Head in Talihina, OK

I worked at Boy Scouts of America full-time for less than a year

Pros

I love to help people

Cons

Learning to do my job so I can help better advance myself

Care

terrible

I worked at Boy Scouts of America full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

none, none ,none , none, none

Cons

everything, working sundays, working saturdays

get a life

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Poor Employer for Family-Oriented Individual

Former Employee - Program Director  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Program Director in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Boy Scouts of America full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The mission of the organization is outstanding, and it pays very well (especially for a nonprofit). The chances for promotion and excellent and you will meet some great people along the way. Every day is fast-paced and different from the day before.

Cons

You will be expected to sacrifice your personal time, family life, and own volunteerism for the sake of the organization. When I asked about paternity leave, my boss told me "That I must be joking so he could only laugh.", when I used all my personal vacation days my boss told me, "I expect you to leave at least 30% of your vacation unused", when I got engaged my boss told me, "If I'd known you were going to get married, I wouldn't have promoted you. Don't even think about having kids." During my tenure I had 7 different bosses, and all shared this mindset. In my final year, out of 52 weekends in the year I worked 41 of them. I was told by my supervisors that I was not allowed to pursue a graduate degree in my free time, nor was I allowed to volunteer for any organizations...that if I had time to volunteer then I had time to do more Boy Scout stuff. I was once told by a supervisor that if the sun was up, I was doing Boy Scout stuff; the only time for personal time was when it was dark and there wasn't a meeting I could attend. I worked for the Boy Scouts for 9 years and had to move 4 times (that's a move every 27 months).

Also, it is important to know this: the Boy Scouts of America has not grown in membership since the 1970s. Despite this fact, management still refuses to adapt to the reality of American society and today's youth. Staff is expected to live up to unrealistic goals, without the right support to make them happen.

Trust the volunteers more with the program. Professional staff should focus more on the day-to-day business. There is too much staff in the organization and an unrealistic attitude about what should be expected.

Good Ole Boy Mentality Still Reigns

I worked at Boy Scouts of America full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good people. Great relationships.

Cons

Lack of training, inability to level up, no flexibility and bad management. And forget anything if you're a woman.

Great organization to volunteer for, poor to work for.

I have been working at Boy Scouts of America full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Working for a company whose mission is to prepare young men into productive citizens is incredibly rewarding

Cons

Poor management & tools to complete job lead to too high turnover and loss of quality personell

Employee retention rates of management-level employees needs to become a priority. There are too many poor managers. The answer should never be "it is worse somewhere else."

No work vs. personal life balance

I worked at Boy Scouts of America full-time for less than a year

Pros

At the root, this organization does wonderful things for youth in our county. The kids benefit with the help of good volunteers. The volunteers are what makes this organization work! They are great people.

Cons

Frequent 50-70 hour work weeks, salary breaks down to less than minimum wage, no supportive management. The volunteers are great, but many will call you very late at night with questions. This is not a job with time off. There is also a huge turnover rate of employees.

Please be more considerate of employees

The dark side of Scouting is the wrong side to be on. You start out at 30K but don't plan on a raise until year two.

Former Employee - District Executive  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - District Executive in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Boy Scouts of America full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Entry level, a good stepping stone to another job once you realize the reality of the machine you work. Training is good that is National BSA led.

Cons

Pay for you own membership, uniforms, late nights, expected to contribute highly to friends of scouting even though you make 30k a year. Lots of miles on your car. Work takes over your work life balance and flushes it. For a family organization there is little consideration for it to it's employees.

Revise your review system, PDS is terrible and designed to make BSA employees a "C"
    Pay your people. They work a 40 hr week by Wednesday. Give them time off when they spend all weekend at an event or get home from a meeting at 11PM.

Starter job for retirees or singles

I worked at Boy Scouts of America full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefit a great movement. Working with volunteers. Flexible schedule. My output was benefitting youth.

Cons

Local management are "lifers" who rotate out of a council every three years to make a decent raise - thus focused on short term fundraising and membership gains with little care about volunteer community and long term support and sustainability. Because local management is dependent on regional favor for transfers they therefore are in constant state of fear of nation and regional leaders. The local leaders make decisions to preserve their 10-20 year careers not necessarily what's best for the program or for DE's supporting the program

The lowest rung folks (DEs) do the majority of the important work but get paid the least 1/5 of what SEs make. Many SEs treat DEs like indentured serfs and do not follow the Scout Law for treatment of others (ironically ). Lastly the board members who many are just glorified council volunteers are well meaning but think of "staff" as being their own personal staff with nothing to do other than wait for their orders.

Ultimately I left to achieve a better work life balance for my family's sake. Ironic that a family value organization does not allow a family head much money or time for family eh?

Encouraging raises by transferring to other councils is great for fostering obedience in the management chain but is harmful to establishing long term credibility in the local community. You lose many good DEs who cannot affford to stay at their low paying jobs working for short term thinking SEs many of whom are unethical when compared to "real world" management with an HR department that actually works. (December 36 exists in this world) I was a DE whose district was jTE gold for program, money and membership so this is not coming from an underperformer or slacker

District Executives-4 Years Experience

I have been working at Boy Scouts of America full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good job out of college because it will build your professional network to get your next job.

Cons

Terrible work life balance and little opportunity for real growth since the profession has been shrinking by 2% every year since 1971. The organization is very political and the pay per hour just decreases every year as the reward for hard work is more work.

Responsibilities need to be slimmed down for sustainability and real results.

Worked for Boy Scouts of America? Contribute to the Community!