Boy Scouts of America Reviews

260 reviews filtered by
3.3
Boy Scouts of America Chief Scout Executive Wayne Brock
Wayne Brock

Pros
  • Can truly make a difference in the lives of today's youth (in 15 reviews)

• You get to meet great people trying to better their community (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Ultimately I left to achieve a better work life balance for my family's sake (in 17 reviews)

• Hours can be real long and there are many nights and weekends (in 15 reviews)

1. Supply Group-Bent over backwards for the company and ended up getting screwed

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Boy Scouts of America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They provide plentiful PTO and vacation days every year. Most of your peers are nice and helpful. Merchandise is of decent quality and easy to sell.

Cons

Benefits: Expensive. Point of service software is outdated and a pain to work with. Pay for management is below the standard and raises are a joke. Communication is broken between upper level management and the stores. It's all about the "good old boy" network here.

Overall review

Former Employee - Community Relations
    Former Employee - Community Relations

I worked at Boy Scouts of America

Pros

Very few come to mind. Was a rough job all around.

Cons

Hours, pay, expectations. They were all below average.

A great "Family Values" Place to Work, just you don't have time for your own family.

Former Employee - District Executive in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - District Executive in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Boy Scouts of America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Low quality toilet paper in the bathroom

Cons

Working for the BSA was one of the worst experiences of my life. You will end up working here if you have no goals in life, and had a non-practical major in college. You are lied to during the interview, because they will make you think you will work 45~ hours, but you will end up working 65+, and you may get fired if you don't. Your supervisor (District Director) is trained to be a micro manager. They do not have your best interest in mind. They micro manage worse than working at Mc Donalds ( I would know because I worked at Mc Donalds), and pay you about as good as an assistant manager at Mc Donalds. Not too ideal for a college graduate, since that is what is required to work here.

Lastly, they will make you do "Friends of Scouting" presentations, which pay the salaries of the employees. It is truly a scam. Thats all I can say without fear of someone tracking me down for exposing the truth of this position.

As a college graduate (Bachelors Degree), I would rather work at Mc Donalds or Taco Bell, god strike me dead now if I'm lying. For your sake, avoid this job at all possible costs.

Some other little things if your still not convinced:

High Turnover
    Management lies to you during the interview/ you have to pay a "fee" before you get hired
    Is secretly a SALES job
    You are expected to give money back to them out of your paycheck
    I've heard that some people have committed suicide from working here

Like taking a job aboard the Titanic.

Former Employee - District Executive in Warner Robins, GA
    Former Employee - District Executive in Warner Robins, GA

I worked at Boy Scouts of America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Worst job experience I've ever had. Not really any pros to speak of, unless you count the fact I am no longer working there as a "pro." One of my volunteers, who was a former DE himself, told me this mantra for working for the BSA: "You're paid a pittance and treated like crap." I found this to be abundantly true.

Cons

First, they made me move to a new city, when there was an opening in the one I was already living. Didn't pay for my relocation. This was the first red flag that not all was right with the BSA, but I took the job anyway. Next, they told me they would send me to Texas for training after my 90 days...that came and went with no mention of this training. And I was never fully trained for my position there.

Then I discovered that there is absolutely no work-life balance whatsoever. They expected you to be married to the job 24/7. Not uncommon to be in the office from 8am to 5pm, and then have meetings with your volunteers well into night. Like 9 or 10pm. Most work weeks I put to put in 70+ hours in, some weeks even inching close to 90. With no paid overtime. Lovely. Mind you, this was while being paid, with a Masters, 30k a year while management was making around 100k. If not more.

Management? Horrible management; it was more like working for a petty dictatorship than a nonprofit. The CEO and CFO at my Council probably couldn't competently manage a lemonade stand let alone a million-dollar budget non-profit. Harassment was the currency of the realm; I was told more often than not what a horrible person I was by management for not meeting fundraising goals (that they set for me) than ever a slight "thanks" for doing something good. Often times I was brought into the CEO's office, told what I was doing wrong and when I tried to speak in my defense, I was told I wasn't allowed to speak.

Criticizing an employee for not being able to do his job is one thing; never training that same employee and accusing him of not doing his job is a horse of a completely different color.

Too much lip-service given to the Scout Oath, Law and Christian values while no one really acted upon it. Never seen a bigger group of holier-than-thou people walking around, telling everyone how great and religious they were while actively sabotaging and backstabbing their volunteers and coworkers. I've seen monks less pious than people who worked at this Council.

I was also told I was going to have to join the Order of the Arrow, I had no choice in the matter. Last time I checked, in America, you can't force employees to join any kind of union or fraternal organization when they have no interest in it. I was also told I wasn't allowed to be publicly involved in any other organization outside the Scouts i.e. Masons or the Republican party (of which I was a member of both).

Favoritism. Favoritism runs amok; if you're a former Scout, you get away from murder but female employees and males with no Scouting background get treated the worst. I came in right after the membership policy changed and management refused to recognize that that decision was effecting their fundraising efforts. The rural South doesn't have the money to contribute, and those that do won't because they no longer wish to be associated with the BSA. For good reasons.

And of course, when this was brought up to management, you were told you didn't know what you were talking about.

Speaking of fundraising, most of that money raised through Friends of Scouting doesn't go back to the packs or troops, but to line the pockets of management and ensure that the budget for the Council is met. The fact they make DEs lie to volunteers and parents about where and how that money raised is use made me physically ill.

Actually, fundraising shouldn't even be what this was called because it gives a disservice to real fundraising. You're basically a direct-sales marketer, calling past donors and cold-calls alike begging for money. If I wanted to be a telemarketer...

On my honor, working for the BSA was the worst work experience of my life. I was treated miserably, went home everyday feeling defeated and crestfallen. I've never felt so relieved to leave a company before. Caveat emptor. Take the job only if you like drinking the Kool-Aid. If you blindly tote the organization line, you're fine but any voice of dissent and they will cut you from the herd and let you bleed in the wilderness.

Advice to Management

Clean house, get new Scout Executives across the board. Those that are in those positions now are only looking at consolidating power. Also, recognize the facts on the ground: evangelical Christians do not want to associate with you and the economy is effecting your fundraising. Wake-up and face reality. Also, start treating the LDS Church better or you'll see them walk. Finally, stop making your employees contribute to Friends of Scouting out of their paychecks. If not, have fun while the ship sinks into the icy abyss.

High energy, but disregard for employee safety poor management.

Former Contractor - Camp Counselor in Silva, MO
    Former Contractor - Camp Counselor in Silva, MO

I worked at Boy Scouts of America as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Being a professional scout and getting paid to help create a fantastic scouting experience for the next generation. It feels like you really make a difference.

Cons

Management at multiple levels had a total disregard for training, osha, and employee satisfaction. Employees are expected to work truly insane hours at times. I put in multiple 90+ hour weeks and that is not uncommon.

7. Worked at a summer camp; It sucked.

Former Contractor - Aquatics Director in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Contractor - Aquatics Director in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Boy Scouts of America as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Working outside, good co-workers, nice weather

Cons

A lot of bureaucracy, frustrating to get anything done, boss was rude and talked down to employees

BSA

Current Employee - District Executive BSA in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - District Executive BSA in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Boy Scouts of America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

good job, pays decent for small town

Cons

bad job, everyone wants in your business

Advice to Management

free time please

9. Fantastic

Former Employee - Sport Head in Talihina, OK
    Former Employee - Sport Head in Talihina, OK

I worked at Boy Scouts of America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love to help people

Cons

Learning to do my job so I can help better advance myself

Advice to Management

Care

terrible

Former Employee - District Executive
    Former Employee - District Executive

I worked at Boy Scouts of America full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

none, none ,none , none, none

Cons

everything, working sundays, working saturdays

Advice to Management

get a life

Poor Employer for Family-Oriented Individual

Former Employee - Program Director in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Program Director in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Boy Scouts of America full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The mission of the organization is outstanding, and it pays very well (especially for a nonprofit). The chances for promotion and excellent and you will meet some great people along the way. Every day is fast-paced and different from the day before.

Cons

You will be expected to sacrifice your personal time, family life, and own volunteerism for the sake of the organization. When I asked about paternity leave, my boss told me "That I must be joking so he could only laugh.", when I used all my personal vacation days my boss told me, "I expect you to leave at least 30% of your vacation unused", when I got engaged my boss told me, "If I'd known you were going to get married, I wouldn't have promoted you. Don't even think about having kids." During my tenure I had 7 different bosses, and all shared this mindset. In my final year, out of 52 weekends in the year I worked 41 of them. I was told by my supervisors that I was not allowed to pursue a graduate degree in my free time, nor was I allowed to volunteer for any organizations...that if I had time to volunteer then I had time to do more Boy Scout stuff. I was once told by a supervisor that if the sun was up, I was doing Boy Scout stuff; the only time for personal time was when it was dark and there wasn't a meeting I could attend. I worked for the Boy Scouts for 9 years and had to move 4 times (that's a move every 27 months).

Also, it is important to know this: the Boy Scouts of America has not grown in membership since the 1970s. Despite this fact, management still refuses to adapt to the reality of American society and today's youth. Staff is expected to live up to unrealistic goals, without the right support to make them happen.

Advice to Management

Trust the volunteers more with the program. Professional staff should focus more on the day-to-day business. There is too much staff in the organization and an unrealistic attitude about what should be expected.

Boy Scouts of America Photos