Boy Scouts of America Reviews

Updated August 11, 2014

3.3

Boy Scouts of America Chief Scout Executive Wayne Brock
Wayne Brock

Pros
  • As an employee, you can make a difference in the lives of scouts and leaders (in 10 reviews)

• You get to meet great people trying to better their community (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Hours can be real long and there are many nights and weekends (in 13 reviews)

• Ultimately I left to achieve a better work life balance for my family's sake (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

If you're community-oriented, this is your home.

Former Employee - Para Professional  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Para Professional in Chicago, IL

I worked at Boy Scouts of America full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible and close-knit, family like workplace. Work-life balance is very easy to maintain. Little complaints.

Cons

Travel and office culture - which I wouldn't consider a con, but definitely something new and different than what I had been used to.

BSA

Current Employee - District Executive BSA  in  Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - District Executive BSA in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Boy Scouts of America full-time for less than a year

Pros

good job, pays decent for small town

Cons

bad job, everyone wants in your business

free time please

Fantastic

Former Employee - Sport Head  in  Talihina, OK
    Former Employee - Sport Head in Talihina, OK

I worked at Boy Scouts of America full-time for less than a year

Pros

I love to help people

Cons

Learning to do my job so I can help better advance myself

Care

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

terrible

Former Employee - District Executive
    Former Employee - District Executive

I worked at Boy Scouts of America full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

none, none ,none , none, none

Cons

everything, working sundays, working saturdays

get a life

Find something better

Former Employee - Senior Store Manager
    Former Employee - Senior Store Manager

I worked at Boy Scouts of America full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are none, as you do not get bonuses or anything when you do good. Upper Managers seem to have a hard time even telling you "Good Job"

Cons

There is zero bonus for making sales goals, meeting budgets. Even with membership down you are expected to make 2-5% more in sales vs. the previous year. Have little to no support from TM.

Many hard hours / Lack of personal or family life

I have been working at Boy Scouts of America

Pros

For the most part, make your own schedule

Cons

Expect to do the work of several people.

Good job for learning to deal with people.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Roanoke, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Roanoke, VA

I worked at Boy Scouts of America full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good benefits; learn to sell yourself.

Cons

Schedule can be varied with long hours.

Refocus on the current market place.

Mostly good seasonal employment, needs lots of improvement

Current Employee - First Aid Counselor
    Current Employee - First Aid Counselor

I have been working at Boy Scouts of America part-time for less than a year

Pros

-the camaraderie: All the members of camp staff are very supportive and willing to assist you in every way they can. I got to know people outside my area in ways that I couldn't in other work environments.
    -the mentorship: My Area Director supported me in every way she could and guided me to become a better teacher. Also, she taught the cooking merit badge, I often ate free food before lunch and during the afternoon.
    -the mission: I taught First Aid, and I felt that I was enriching the lives of the Scouts by teaching them to treat basic injuries, and if need be, save lives.
    -teaching independence: I had a great amount (but by no means unlimited) autonomy to teach the class in the way I thought best.
    -free room and board: Staying in an cabin with air conditioning is a nice perk, especially during the hot summer months. The food, however, is mediocre (see "Cons" below)
    -beautiful environment: I worked at a beautiful camp with lots of trees and lakes. The sunsets were unbeatable.
    -leadership: Although there were a few issues, the senior staff did a great job implementing the program and we received numerous complements.
    -the Scouts: The best Scouts will make your day and remind you why you chose to staff camp.

Cons

-low pay: as a first year staffer, I received less than $100 a week when paycheck time came around. I could have worked the same number of hours at a minimum wage job and made much than at camp, even after accounting for the room and board I received.
    -the food: the menu was the same every week. Enough said.
    -disregard of previous experience: I had two years of experience staffing other Boy Scout summer camps, but I was paid like a first-year staffer.
    -communication: there weren't any pre-departure emails or remainders sent out before camp. As a result, I forgot my physical and had to get it faxed to camp. Also, staff were not given a written schedule of events during camp, which resulted in some awkward moments with Scouts and adult leaders when I could not answer their questions.
    -the gossip: I will admit that I enjoyed the gossip at camp, but it can destroy the morale of a camp environment. My experience as a staffer at camp would have been diminished if I became the center of gossip.
    -limited exposure: With one exception, I only taught First Aid and CPR for five weeks straight. A greater variety of teaching duties would have been nice.
    -class sizes: For two weeks, my average class size hovered around 30 Scouts For a hands-on class like First Aid, the class size should be at least half that. Also, discipline is a greater issue in larger classes.

-communication: Be more forthright about issues important to the staff, including sensitive topics such as layoffs and staff discipline issues. Don't leave people guessing. Also, sent out pre-departure emails so everyone is on the same page when they get to camp.
    -pay: It's hard to keep staff motivated if they are not paid competitive wages. At the bare minimum, a 50% increase in salary is warranted, especially considering the long hours all staff members put in to keep the camp running.
    -class sizes: Encourage troops to enroll in later weeks during the summer. That way, class sizes are more evenly spread out.

Working for bsa

Current Employee - Camp Counselor
    Current Employee - Camp Counselor

I have been working at Boy Scouts of America full-time for less than a year

Pros

You get fed and boarded as camp counselor. Gives you great life experience. You make lots of new friends and get to see some cool things.

Cons

The management sucks and pay is low. They treat you like crap and you work long hours. Lots of people on drugs management does nothing to stop it. Very unappriciated

Do a better job

Former Account Specialist for local council.

Former Employee - Account Specialist  in  Belleville, IL
    Former Employee - Account Specialist in Belleville, IL

I worked at Boy Scouts of America full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Friendly atmosphere, lots to do but never a shortage of hands to help out. the boys and volunteers are great and the people I worked with are the best and most dedicated people I know of.
    Was one of the few jobs I worked at that I actually look forward to going to work.

Cons

Doing the payroll for the council I know that the pay scale is extremely top heavy with the top few people ( Scout Exec, CFO ....etc) making in excess of 100k per year with benefits to match and the rest of us working in the pits making just enough to keep us there with hope of a year end raise, which always seem to go to the top few.

Re-adjust your pay scale, no council should allow 20% of its annual salary expense going to two or three people.
    Telling you people they are doing a great job in fine, but back it up with rewards and incentives. Quit trying to take from your employees and give a little back.

Worked for Boy Scouts of America? Contribute to the Community!