Boy Scouts of America

Updated December 19, 2014
3.3

Boy Scouts of America Chief Scout Executive Wayne Brock
Wayne Brock

Pros
  • Can truly make a difference in the lives of today's youth (in 15 reviews)

• You get to meet great people trying to better their community (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Ultimately I left to achieve a better work life balance for my family's sake (in 17 reviews)

• Hours can be real long and there are many nights and weekends (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Overall review

Former Employee - Community Relations
    Former Employee - Community Relations

I worked at Boy Scouts of America

Pros

Very few come to mind. Was a rough job all around.

Cons

Hours, pay, expectations. They were all below average.

A great "Family Values" Place to Work, just you don't have time for your own family.

Former Employee - District Executive in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - District Executive in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Boy Scouts of America full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Low quality toilet paper in the bathroom

Cons

Working for the BSA was one of the worst experiences of my life. You will end up working here if you have no goals in life, and had a non-practical major in college. You are lied to during the interview, because they will make you think you will work 45~ hours, but you will end up working 65+, and you may get fired if you don't. Your supervisor (District Director) is trained to be a micro manager. They do not have your best interest in mind. They micro manage worse than working at Mc Donalds ( I would know because I worked at Mc Donalds), and pay you about as good as an assistant manager at Mc Donalds. Not too ideal for a college graduate, since that is what is required to work here.

Lastly, they will make you do "Friends of Scouting" presentations, which pay the salaries of the employees. It is truly a scam. Thats all I can say without fear of someone tracking me down for exposing the truth of this position.

As a college graduate (Bachelors Degree), I would rather work at Mc Donalds or Taco Bell, god strike me dead now if I'm lying. For your sake, avoid this job at all possible costs.

Some other little things if your still not convinced:

High Turnover
    Management lies to you during the interview/ you have to pay a "fee" before you get hired
    Is secretly a SALES job
    You are expected to give money back to them out of your paycheck
    I've heard that some people have committed suicide from working here

Great job...if you can handle the hours.

Current Employee - District Executive in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - District Executive in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Boy Scouts of America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great volunteers to work with.
    Lots of variety in the job.
    Can truly make a difference in the lives of today's youth.

Cons

The work life balance is next to none. If you are not working all of the time you are thinking about work and all the things you have to get done. Your bosses will expect you to work just about every night and weekend, and this is on top of your normal 8-5 workload. There is little to no respect for having a personal life. If you are not ready for the Boy Scouts to completely take over your life, then you should look elsewhere for employment.

Give better guidance on how to complete tasks. Don't simply tell someone that a task needs completed when they have never done it before, but give some actual guidance in it. Also, get out of the office once in a while to see what is actually going on in the field. The disconnect is astounding.

Some highs- Lots of lows

Current Employee - Field Staff in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Field Staff in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Boy Scouts of America full-time (more than an year)

Pros

As a Boy Scout professional I have met some wonderful people, and hope to have helped kids have great experiences. This position does provide a flexible schedule at times. Nice physical office building.

Cons

Huge turn over- Nearly 100% each year I have been here.
    Ineffective and hostile managers- Set achievable goals, where only a small percentage is achieved council-wide. Managers are not coaches, but instead "reprimanders."
    Low pay.
    Nickled and Dimed (Must contribute to Friends of Scouting, Buy uniforms, no budgets- often have to go into your own pocket).
    Top down management styles.
    Lack of adequate technology.
    General Organizational Decline.
    Very long hours.
    Family friendly culture does not extend to the staff.
    Many miles driven on personal vehicle.

Train staff to become effective managers and facilitators. Need to change the culture of respect for others to stay.

Great for young men who like to move

I worked at Boy Scouts of America

Pros

Flexible hours and travel. You meet a lot of people with different backgrounds. It helps you build your people skills. If you like the outdoors then this is your job.

Cons

Low pay that will only increase over a long period of time if you do not move. If you are young, a male, and have no attachments, you can rise quickly to 60k-70K a year. This sounds great, I know. But if you get into a relationship, you may find yourself having to decide between career ladder and being a partner.
    The salary is good if you live far away from metropolitan areas. But if you live near a major city, this is half the salary you'll need to survive.

Find a way to promote good workers without forcing them to move all over the United States every 3 years. You are losing good talent to better paying industries.

Great organization but not perfect

Current Employee - Senior District Executive in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior District Executive in Houston, TX

I have been working at Boy Scouts of America full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

flexibility of time, sense of self worth, potential for raise every year, ability to work in practically any city

Cons

good old boy network, low beginning salary, you must move cities to increase pay quickly

Listen to employee concerns, higher the best for the position not who your buddy is.

It's the people that made it not that worthwhile

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Boy Scouts of America full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You feel like you're one of them even if you're just an IT person. You can come out to their events.

Cons

The bosses (at that time) were not the most welcoming. At that time, things were shifting around so people were a little on edge to say the least.

Love It

Former Employee - Health Officer
    Former Employee - Health Officer

I worked at Boy Scouts of America as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

If you love the outdoors, nature, and youth development, it is for you!

Cons

Money. Pay is not the highest due to the amount of youth development.

You have to be a go-getter.

Great work environment, leadership opportunities

I worked at Boy Scouts of America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This is a great summer job. You get to interact with other energetic and dedicated individuals. Everyone enjoys their work and finds meaning in it. Plus, room and board are covered. Great teaching experience and you'll meet plenty of amazing role models.

Cons

Pay isn't great and occasionally there is drama. But what can you expect when you have this many teenagers and young adults working their first jobs while also living with each other?

Can be both a career and a stepping stone.

Current Employee - Program Assistant
    Current Employee - Program Assistant

I have been working at Boy Scouts of America part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working with amazing children while trying to better the urban communities.
    Working for BSA is a great opportunity to work with some really amazing children. In my district, we work with less fortunate children that would not ordinarily get the opportunity to join Boy Scouts due to financial hardships or any other issues. This program is a bright point in the lives of a lot of children. Our program is just an introduction to the traditional BSA program, and we hope to have children continue in the Boy Scout traditional scouts.

Cons

In part time, there is no real chance of advancement. If you are in the council there are a lot of hours worked a week. There is a lot of fundraising involved, so you are definitely a salesperson, with the goal of "selling" your district to donors.

Boy Scouts of America Photos