Boy Scouts of America Reviews

Reset

ssm

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Pasadena, CA

I worked at Boy Scouts of America full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great org for youth! amazing life and team building and morals! loved working with the youth and watching them grow and develop!

Cons

politics! the politics are unreal! everyone talking about everyone and who you know is what gets you ahead not what you know of how well you do your job!

Advice to Management

stop being run by numbers and fundraising goals money is important but not as important as the youth

District Executive

Former Employee - District Executive in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - District Executive in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Boy Scouts of America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get to make your own hours, and the job itself is pretty easy.

Cons

Vicious politics, pretend promotions, lots of pointless meetings.

Advice to Management

Fire middle management that isn't performing

3. Wilderness Interpreter

Former Employee - Wilderness Interpreter in Ely, MN
    Former Employee - Wilderness Interpreter in Ely, MN

I worked at Boy Scouts of America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everything you need basically is provided for you; you don't need to worry about food, rent, insurance while you're there (just your student loans). Being an Interpreter is a life changing experience. It will teach you, beyond a shadow of a doubt, what it means to work hard, but sleeping under the stars every night, then waking up and making coffee 50 miles from the end of the nearest road... I think a coworker (and now good friend) Bobby said it best when we were finishing up our training trip, and we were watching the sun rise over the water from the middle of a lake in a little armada of canoes: After a few minutes he leans in and says "I didn't think this could get better ... then I remembered, we're getting paid right now!"

Cons

-Nothing will save you from the mosquitoes -You will work. Hard. -The trail is unpredictable. Sometimes, you just have a bad trip; a bear eats your food, your canoes blow away in a storm, a tree falls on your tent, or sometimes your crew is just bent on having a bad trip in the woods and won't let go of that negative energy. You have to stay professional through it all. It's not easy. -Because of the fact that you kind of live with your coworkers at Northern Tier, and because of the BSA's don't-ask-don't-tell sort of policy, I had to censor myself 100% of the time, and that gets hard after a while. -Outside of more canoeing, recreation opportunities are limited even IF you want to drive a few hours to the movie theater, or 40 minutes to Ely.

Advice to Management

You are some of the best I have worked with!

Don't Do It

Current Employee - District Executive
    Current Employee - District Executive

I have been working at Boy Scouts of America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ability to network with community business people and leaders is huge. You do make an impact in the lives of youth in a very small, insignificant way - but you do do it. You can get lucky and have a sense of team.

Cons

Where do I begin? Let's start with work-life balance. There is none. The bosses pretend to care, but at the end of the day they don't. If you work in a council that is run a lot of Mormons, you'll quickly find that they just don't get it. Most of their wives are homemakers, and don't work. They have no sympathy or understanding of a dual-income household. As such they work 100 hours a week and expect you to do the same. In the interview they'll tell you it's cyclical with breaks, but it's not. Spring is FOS. Summer is running summer camp. Fall is nothing but recruitment. Which brings me to my next point... Boy Scouts is a tough sell. It's a bigoted and old fashioned organization that refuses to join the 21st-century. People don't want to sign their kid up for scouting because it has a bad social stigma. Not only do you register to participate in a movement that excludes gays and people that don't believe in God, you're registering your kid in a movement that doesn't allow boys to be boys. No more water balloons? Come on. Management all the way up to the Chief Scout Executive are all internal hires. There is no breath of fresh air. There is no new direction. The end result is a good old boys' club. The organization is run by a bunch of balding, old, white LDS men that don't know a hashtag from a dog-tag. They're out of touch with reality and with kids - and it's evident. Changes to programming are made without consulting the people in the filed that implement the program: mostly your adult volunteers. These people then come and complain to you like you had anything to do with it. You're expected to constantly be available to catch crap in both directions: from the volunteers on up and from management. Heaven forbid you don't answer your cell phone on a Thursday night at 10pm. You'd think I worked for the CIA or as a trauma surgeon. It's ridiculous. Again, can't emphasize it enough - there is NO work-life balance. They'll tell you, "If you're out late, you can come in a little later in the morning." No. No you can't. Not when there are meetings and trainings scheduled for 6:30am over an hour away. You're expected to drive your own vehicle. You easily clock over 50,000 miles in your car. If you're in a council lucky enough that gives you an auto stipend PLUS mileage, you're doing alright. Most don't. Even then, when you get reimbursed at less than the IRS recommendation, you're just happy to get your expense report paid back to you. Since the organization only promotes from within, pursuing your education to better yourself is out of the question. Funny, isn't it? After all, it is Boy Scouts. It is about bettering oneself. You're allowed to go to school, but it can't interfere with work. Okay, that's fair. In fact, I think EVERY employer says that. It's fair... BUT... when you're expected to be at a 7am breakfast meeting with volunteers, sit in the office then from 9-5, and then hit up a training or troop meeting or something at 6:30 --- Monday thru Saturday, when can you expect to go to school? Don't take the job unless you enjoy being married to work. You'll work Monday thru Saturday anywhere from 75-100 hours/week. You'll be pestered by dweeby (well some are just big time LOSER) volunteers at all hours of the day and every time you walk into a coffee shop. There is no work-life balance, and there is no regard for family. It doesn't exist.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring from within. Council's do not need ten managers and only two district executives. It's a joke. You could almost write a textbook on how NOT to manage an organization/company... and the BSA provides that framework. All of your ideas are stagnant. For instance, what kid wants to sign up for STEM Scouts? Just like the soccer in scouting program, it's a fad designed only to increase "membership" so you can all compete for Scout Executive or Chief Scout Executive positions. Also, get with the times. It's 2015. Why are you using Scoutnet which is based off of Windows 95 or Windows 2000 systems? It's ridiculous. Stop blaming volunteers for things like no one logging into Commissioner Tools. Your IT department designed the website using flash. Flash doesn't work on iPhones and iPads - two devices that make up the majority of cell phones and tablets. That's just stupid. Don't forget, a lot of people don't own computers at home anymore. Again, get with the times. Take a REAL management course. ScoutingU is a joke. It's where the washed-up, has been (at best) people go to work. At worst, it's where all the people hired by mistake go to work. In fact, there's more advice: get people to train that actually know how to teach. You know - they've read a book on pedagogical techniques - not these blow-hard red coat professional types that just want to talk about how it was when they worked in the field ---- twenty years ago! In keeping with getting with the times - why not allow gays in? You're killing membership and FOS. Until you do, school systems and corporations aren't going to touch BSA with a twenty mile long pole. It's too dangerous, spells lawsuit, and isn't good for business.

6. District Executive

I worked at Boy Scouts of America

Pros

Best training for entry-level employees and new managers/leaders.

Cons

Long hours and weekends, but gratifying

7. Development Director

I have been working at Boy Scouts of America full-time

Pros

Work with really good people (co-workers and volunteers). The office is nice and you will have some good resources if you are in the main office.

Cons

Hardly any raises, no bonuses or extra perks. You do not get over time, so when you are expected to work crazy hours it is not compensated. The health insurance has good coverage but it cost an arm and a leg. I pay over $800 a month for myself, my spouse and one child.

Advice to Management

Better opportunities for a raises to encourage employees to exceed and have a desire to stay.

District Executive

I worked at Boy Scouts of America full-time

Pros

the benefits were excellent. Full health, vision, dental and profit-sharing.

Cons

The number of hours worked exceeded most jobs with the same pay. Also, many nights and weekends were taken up by work activities.

Advice to Management

Be more open to potential employees by disclosing more realistic demands and work schedule

9. Good place to start...

Former Employee - Advisor in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Advisor in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Boy Scouts of America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The opportunity to work with children in the community and the ability to be a role model for them is a large pro. Working with other college students who understand the kids are our future and how we direct them now will pay off later.

Cons

Supervisor was pulled in too many directions to be helpful to new or unsure employees.

Advice to Management

Additional directors are necessary for the camp to continue to be successful.

Great Youth Development Organization, LONG HOURS!!!

Former Employee - Boy Scouts District Executive in Apopka, FL
    Former Employee - Boy Scouts District Executive in Apopka, FL

I worked at Boy Scouts of America

Pros

Great Mission and Team Work

Cons

They will work you a lot!!! I worked 90+ hours a week for very little pay

Advice to Management

Pay your District Executive MORE!!!

Only work here if you like to be disrespected and belittled

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Boy Scouts of America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome Mission Great Kids Passionate Volunteers Flexible Schedule Training Benefit Package Highly Respected and Recognized Organization

Cons

Managers don't like employees Managers operate on superiority complex If you don't fit the mold you wont grow (be promoted within the company) Very low morale among staff One puppet master manipulating a pyramid styled leadership system

Advice to Management

Stop using intimidation to control the masses Actually appreciate your staff for the work they do on a daily basis You have a staff of awesome people but they no longer respect you so they are no longer loyal to you. Don't play the victim after you are confronted about your actions Don't allow yourself to be used as a pawn, your boss is saving his own behind not yours just as much as he isn't looking out for field staff.

RSS Feed </> Embed