Boy Scouts of America

Updated January 23, 2015
3.3

Boy Scouts of America Chief Scout Executive Wayne Brock
Wayne Brock

Pros
  • Can truly make a difference in the lives of today's youth (in 15 reviews)

• You get to meet great people trying to better their community (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Ultimately I left to achieve a better work life balance for my family's sake (in 17 reviews)

• Hours can be real long and there are many nights and weekends (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

My job at camp trask (boy scouts of America) was to lead children/ adolescents into daily activities prescribed by camp

Former Employee - Provisional Leader in Monrovia, CA
    Former Employee - Provisional Leader in Monrovia, CA

I worked at Boy Scouts of America part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The perfect job for people that love the outdoors and I've to work with children ,it's the perfect summer job for teens and college students.

Cons

From my experience, there are no cons, especially if you love the outdoors although the mosquitos and bugs can get very annoying.

I have no further advice to give, everyone's experience is different

Great working environment

Former Employee - Waterfront Instructor in Avalon, CA
    Former Employee - Waterfront Instructor in Avalon, CA

I worked at Boy Scouts of America as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun, meaningful interaction with scouts, lots of opportunity for promotion

Cons

Supervisor skill and competency level varied greatly

Make the interview process much more rigorous

Like taking a job aboard the Titanic.

Former Employee - District Executive in Warner Robins, GA
    Former Employee - District Executive in Warner Robins, GA

I worked at Boy Scouts of America full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Worst job experience I've ever had. Not really any pros to speak of, unless you count the fact I am no longer working there as a "pro." One of my volunteers, who was a former DE himself, told me this mantra for working for the BSA: "You're paid a pittance and treated like crap." I found this to be abundantly true.

Cons

First, they made me move to a new city, when there was an opening in the one I was already living. Didn't pay for my relocation. This was the first red flag that not all was right with the BSA, but I took the job anyway. Next, they told me they would send me to Texas for training after my 90 days...that came and went with no mention of this training. And I was never fully trained for my position there.

Then I discovered that there is absolutely no work-life balance whatsoever. They expected you to be married to the job 24/7. Not uncommon to be in the office from 8am to 5pm, and then have meetings with your volunteers well into night. Like 9 or 10pm. Most work weeks I put to put in 70+ hours in, some weeks even inching close to 90. With no paid overtime. Lovely. Mind you, this was while being paid, with a Masters, 30k a year while management was making around 100k. If not more.

Management? Horrible management; it was more like working for a petty dictatorship than a nonprofit. The CEO and CFO at my Council probably couldn't competently manage a lemonade stand let alone a million-dollar budget non-profit. Harassment was the currency of the realm; I was told more often than not what a horrible person I was by management for not meeting fundraising goals (that they set for me) than ever a slight "thanks" for doing something good. Often times I was brought into the CEO's office, told what I was doing wrong and when I tried to speak in my defense, I was told I wasn't allowed to speak.

Criticizing an employee for not being able to do his job is one thing; never training that same employee and accusing him of not doing his job is a horse of a completely different color.

Too much lip-service given to the Scout Oath, Law and Christian values while no one really acted upon it. Never seen a bigger group of holier-than-thou people walking around, telling everyone how great and religious they were while actively sabotaging and backstabbing their volunteers and coworkers. I've seen monks less pious than people who worked at this Council.

I was also told I was going to have to join the Order of the Arrow, I had no choice in the matter. Last time I checked, in America, you can't force employees to join any kind of union or fraternal organization when they have no interest in it. I was also told I wasn't allowed to be publicly involved in any other organization outside the Scouts i.e. Masons or the Republican party (of which I was a member of both).

Favoritism. Favoritism runs amok; if you're a former Scout, you get away from murder but female employees and males with no Scouting background get treated the worst. I came in right after the membership policy changed and management refused to recognize that that decision was effecting their fundraising efforts. The rural South doesn't have the money to contribute, and those that do won't because they no longer wish to be associated with the BSA. For good reasons.

And of course, when this was brought up to management, you were told you didn't know what you were talking about.

Speaking of fundraising, most of that money raised through Friends of Scouting doesn't go back to the packs or troops, but to line the pockets of management and ensure that the budget for the Council is met. The fact they make DEs lie to volunteers and parents about where and how that money raised is use made me physically ill.

Actually, fundraising shouldn't even be what this was called because it gives a disservice to real fundraising. You're basically a direct-sales marketer, calling past donors and cold-calls alike begging for money. If I wanted to be a telemarketer...

On my honor, working for the BSA was the worst work experience of my life. I was treated miserably, went home everyday feeling defeated and crestfallen. I've never felt so relieved to leave a company before. Caveat emptor. Take the job only if you like drinking the Kool-Aid. If you blindly tote the organization line, you're fine but any voice of dissent and they will cut you from the herd and let you bleed in the wilderness.

Clean house, get new Scout Executives across the board. Those that are in those positions now are only looking at consolidating power. Also, recognize the facts on the ground: evangelical Christians do not want to associate with you and the economy is effecting your fundraising. Wake-up and face reality. Also, start treating the LDS Church better or you'll see them walk. Finally, stop making your employees contribute to Friends of Scouting out of their paychecks. If not, have fun while the ship sinks into the icy abyss.

Fun and enjoyable

I have been working at Boy Scouts of America full-time

Pros

Fun to deal with kids.

Cons

No promotional opportunities, not great pay

Come visit your councils. Stop asking for money

Love the mission but the District Executive job is utterly exhausting

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Boy Scouts of America full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great training. Good benefits. Loved the retreats. Enjoyed working the golf tournaments and event fundraisers. Loved the volunteers and I am very passionate about the program. I learned a lot about leadership, fundraising, management, event planning, and life in general. Outstanding facilities and excellent programs.

Cons

Easily work 60-70 hours a week. Most of your weekends are required to be dedicated to Scouting. Some of the managers were yellers and screamed at employees. Constant turnover. DE's started at $38K while Scout Executive made $250K. To move up you really need to move around the country to different Councils for more opportunity. Does not seem worth it.

Not sure if they are even open to change. National members has been declining since the 1970s. The infrastructure needs to change for employees

Great Volunteers Poor Management

I have been working at Boy Scouts of America full-time

Pros

Get to work with great volunteers and know that you are impacting the development of youth in community and community as a whole. The job is for a self-motivated individual and provides flexibility in scheduling.

Cons

Not comfortable sharing the cons

Fulfilling if you don't mind being overworked and under paid

Former Employee - Executive Staff in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Executive Staff in Chicago, IL

I worked at Boy Scouts of America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Make a difference in kids lives

Cons

Major cultural issues. Upper management focus is on next career opportunity and not about improving the program.

Focus on the program and the growth will take care of itself.

Overall an enjoyable time.

Current Employee - District Executive in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - District Executive in Houston, TX

I have been working at Boy Scouts of America full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The job is a lot of fun, you meet a ton of interesting volunteers. You are typically sent to one training a year to further your knowledge of the company and management styles. You receive a far amount of management training within the first few months of being hired. The professional staff is very personable.

Cons

Strange and long hours, lots of nights and weekends! Management is very task focused during parts of the years. A lot of pressure on quotas. You do make your own schedule but maintaining a work-life balance is difficult, based on many night and weekend commitments.

If you're community-oriented, this is your home.

Former Employee - Para Professional in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Para Professional in Chicago, IL

I worked at Boy Scouts of America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible and close-knit, family like workplace. Work-life balance is very easy to maintain. Little complaints.

Cons

Travel and office culture - which I wouldn't consider a con, but definitely something new and different than what I had been used to.

High energy, but disregard for employee safety poor management.

Former Employee - Camp Counselor in Silva, MO
    Former Employee - Camp Counselor in Silva, MO

I worked at Boy Scouts of America as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Being a professional scout and getting paid to help create a fantastic scouting experience for the next generation. It feels like you really make a difference.

Cons

Management at multiple levels had a total disregard for training, osha, and employee satisfaction. Employees are expected to work truly insane hours at times. I put in multiple 90+ hour weeks and that is not uncommon.

Boy Scouts of America Photos