Boy Scouts of America

Updated September 10, 2014
3.3

Boy Scouts of America Chief Scout Executive Wayne Brock
Wayne Brock

Pros
  • As an employee, you can make a difference in the lives of scouts and leaders (in 10 reviews)

• You get to meet great people trying to better their community (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Hours can be real long and there are many nights and weekends (in 13 reviews)

• Ultimately I left to achieve a better work life balance for my family's sake (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

It's a career, not a stepping stone.

I worked at Boy Scouts of America full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great opportunity to serve the public. You get to meet great people trying to better their community. You get to see the kids in the program grow. Especially if you get out there and mingle with the Units at events and at their individual unit meetings.

Cons

40-80 hr weeks. Some councils were heavy in program and others pushed money. Ultimately your a salesperson. And you are judged solely by money, manpower, and membership. If you can't or miss one of those you could be "gone".

If you do the program then the money and membership will come. Stop the turn over of executives, evaluate Mode.

Good Ole Boy Mentality Still Reigns

I worked at Boy Scouts of America full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good people. Great relationships.

Cons

Lack of training, inability to level up, no flexibility and bad management. And forget anything if you're a woman.

Good personal and team growth opportunities

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cimarron, NM
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cimarron, NM

I worked at Boy Scouts of America full-time for less than a year

Pros

The opportunity to help youth improve themselves and their communities is amazing. Having a positive influence gives the work meaning.

Cons

The hours can be long, and some of the people can be tedious to deal with. The pay also is not great, but for someone doing the seasonal work like I was, it was not terrible.

It is time to fully open up the program to all, instead of continuing limitations that are rooted in obsolete social ideals.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great summer, not a company I'd want to work for long term.

Former Employee - Summer Camp Office Manager  in  Molena, GA
    Former Employee - Summer Camp Office Manager in Molena, GA

I worked at Boy Scouts of America as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Really open structure, always willing to hear contributions from anyone at the camp. The camps are beautiful and have wonderful resources, and the staff are phenomenal- hard-working and friendly.

Cons

The structure was a little too traditional as far as male and female roles go. I felt like I was constantly having to prove my capabilities as a female, but that may have also been pressure that I was putting on myself because I can be very independent.

Keep working to make camp as good as possible for the campers. Don't forget or neglect the young staff members- a lot of them need attention and mentoring to reach their full potential.

Senior DE at a local council

I worked at Boy Scouts of America full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work with great people. Good values a based company.

Cons

This company will work you to the bone. Dallas protects its Scout Executives at all costs. The good old boys network protects its own even to the point of protecting those who steal and mistreat employees and volunteers.

Not worth offering as they will never listen. It would be nice if this wonderful organization had a Chief Scout Executive and Staff that upheld the values of the organization they run.

Great program for kids as as well as their parents by offering family activities and learning experiences.

Former Employee - Business Manager  in  Hattiesburg, MS
    Former Employee - Business Manager in Hattiesburg, MS

I worked at Boy Scouts of America full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Boy Scouts of America offers its employees excellent benefits including retirement and medical insurance for the employee and family at a reasonable rate. They are very understanding when it comes to personal time such as family sickness or emergencies. The Boy Scouts of America offer a great program for the kids and at the same offer a great work environment.

Cons

Some of the challenges are working for a Scout Executive that is not in scouting for the right reasons. By this I mean you sometimes you may have an Executive that is for promoting himself rather than the program.

It is important to pay attention to the budget. Stirve to meet those goals by working hard and promoting a good program for the Cub Scouts as well as a quality program for the Boy Scouts.

Gone downhill

I have been working at Boy Scouts of America full-time

Pros

The staff is great. Have worked with a number of employees that have become life-long friends. What the company stands for is great. Work with meaning.

Cons

The management has gotten worse and the employees pay the price. Very Old school and outdated thinking. Everything is top down and while they pretend to listen they really don't address the issues. When they do change its a complete overhaul and re-shuffling every couple of years. Management has basically held meetings saying that things have been bad for a long time, they have continued to be bad the last few years so we know where we are and where we want to be, but we have no idea how to get their.

Stop letting rich volunteers on the executive board pretty much run the organization into the ground for their own benefit. Some of the things that have gone on over the last couple of years are unethical. Trust your very qualified staff to get the job done. Stop leaving every decision up to 2 or 3 people in the organization. Also, just because someone worked in a council doesn't mean they know anything about running a business. You need more qualified people from outside. Stop moving everyone up and around from the councils.

District Executive

Current Employee - District Executive
    Current Employee - District Executive

I have been working at Boy Scouts of America full-time for more than a year

Pros

Freedom of schedule
    Working for a good cause

Cons

Pay is mediocre
    Hours can be long and late sometimes
    Vast array of responsibilities

Be more supportive, better training

Not what it used to be

Former Employee - Secretary  in  Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Secretary in Irving, TX

I worked at Boy Scouts of America full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

fair compensation
    good vacation policies
    People that remember that this is for our youth.

Cons

leadership seems intent on outsourcing and cutting back on staffing
    lack of promotion opportunities

Stop outsourcing your people
    Stop expecting your help desk to do the impossible by supporting volunteers and employees with less staff than when they did just employees

Poor but improving Council

Current Employee - District Executive  in  Madison, WI
    Current Employee - District Executive in Madison, WI

I have been working at Boy Scouts of America full-time for more than a year

Pros

Rewarding knowing that you are helping youth.

Cons

Council fails to keep its promises to employees.

Adopt a team approach instead of management vs employees

Worked for Boy Scouts of America? Contribute to the Community!