Boy Scouts of America

Updated December 19, 2014
3.3

Boy Scouts of America Chief Scout Executive Wayne Brock
Wayne Brock

Pros
  • Can truly make a difference in the lives of today's youth (in 15 reviews)

• You get to meet great people trying to better their community (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Ultimately I left to achieve a better work life balance for my family's sake (in 17 reviews)

• Hours can be real long and there are many nights and weekends (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Former Account Specialist for local council.

Former Employee - Account Specialist in Belleville, IL
    Former Employee - Account Specialist in Belleville, IL

I worked at Boy Scouts of America full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Friendly atmosphere, lots to do but never a shortage of hands to help out. the boys and volunteers are great and the people I worked with are the best and most dedicated people I know of.
    Was one of the few jobs I worked at that I actually look forward to going to work.

Cons

Doing the payroll for the council I know that the pay scale is extremely top heavy with the top few people ( Scout Exec, CFO ....etc) making in excess of 100k per year with benefits to match and the rest of us working in the pits making just enough to keep us there with hope of a year end raise, which always seem to go to the top few.

Re-adjust your pay scale, no council should allow 20% of its annual salary expense going to two or three people.
    Telling you people they are doing a great job in fine, but back it up with rewards and incentives. Quit trying to take from your employees and give a little back.

Working for bsa

Current Employee - Camp Counselor
    Current Employee - Camp Counselor

I have been working at Boy Scouts of America full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You get fed and boarded as camp counselor. Gives you great life experience. You make lots of new friends and get to see some cool things.

Cons

The management sucks and pay is low. They treat you like crap and you work long hours. Lots of people on drugs management does nothing to stop it. Very unappriciated

Do a better job

Good entry-level nonprofit experience

Former Employee - District Executive
    Former Employee - District Executive

I worked at Boy Scouts of America full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Relatively good pay (for recent grads) and benefits, good training, great experience with nonprofit management and fundraising, good coworkers, working for a good cause, flexible hours, fun events throughout the year

Cons

there can be poor management (depending on the council), flexible but mostly long irregular hours (definitely not your typical 9-5 job - you will almost always have a meeting/event in the evenings or on the weekend), lack of raises and/or room for growth within your office (again, depends on your council)

Awesome program that offers leadership development opportunities for youth and adults.

I have been working at Boy Scouts of America as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Contributions are for a great cause - to develop life skills for boys and girls.

Cons

Mostly a volunteer workfiorce and it is difficult for sweeping changes to take hold.

Coordinate programs and increase visibility to the World Scouting organization

Fantastic

Former Employee - Sport Head in Talihina, OK
    Former Employee - Sport Head in Talihina, OK

I worked at Boy Scouts of America full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I love to help people

Cons

Learning to do my job so I can help better advance myself

Care

Great Memories, Best High School Job Around

Former Employee - Ecology Director/Camp Counselor
    Former Employee - Ecology Director/Camp Counselor

I worked at Boy Scouts of America as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Amazing experiences and people, developed independence and leadership, improved public speaking skills, free food/lodging, the pros are extensive. No where else can a high school student teach classes to 10-20 kids and possibly be a supervisor of other employees. It is an amazing opportunity.

Cons

Long days, not always enough food provided for employees, last few weeks of camp can be exhausting

Give some evenings off, more pay would be nice as final salary does not equate to minimum wage (though BSA can't afford to)

I worked ten years as a professional scouter also called a district executive in 3 councils

Former Employee - Senior District Executive in Tacoma, WA
    Former Employee - Senior District Executive in Tacoma, WA

I worked at Boy Scouts of America full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

you set your own schedule and there are a lot of feel good moments with youth, volunteers, and awards.

Cons

you have to get done what you can't get volunteers to do. you can rack up a lot of hours if you do not have the ability to ask others to do tasks for you.

Management is all about gettting money in the door and you will live and die based on what funding you can find.

Start living the scout law by being trustworthy, courteous, kind, to employees.

Poor Employer for Family-Oriented Individual

Former Employee - Program Director in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Program Director in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Boy Scouts of America full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The mission of the organization is outstanding, and it pays very well (especially for a nonprofit). The chances for promotion and excellent and you will meet some great people along the way. Every day is fast-paced and different from the day before.

Cons

You will be expected to sacrifice your personal time, family life, and own volunteerism for the sake of the organization. When I asked about paternity leave, my boss told me "That I must be joking so he could only laugh.", when I used all my personal vacation days my boss told me, "I expect you to leave at least 30% of your vacation unused", when I got engaged my boss told me, "If I'd known you were going to get married, I wouldn't have promoted you. Don't even think about having kids." During my tenure I had 7 different bosses, and all shared this mindset. In my final year, out of 52 weekends in the year I worked 41 of them. I was told by my supervisors that I was not allowed to pursue a graduate degree in my free time, nor was I allowed to volunteer for any organizations...that if I had time to volunteer then I had time to do more Boy Scout stuff. I was once told by a supervisor that if the sun was up, I was doing Boy Scout stuff; the only time for personal time was when it was dark and there wasn't a meeting I could attend. I worked for the Boy Scouts for 9 years and had to move 4 times (that's a move every 27 months).

Also, it is important to know this: the Boy Scouts of America has not grown in membership since the 1970s. Despite this fact, management still refuses to adapt to the reality of American society and today's youth. Staff is expected to live up to unrealistic goals, without the right support to make them happen.

Trust the volunteers more with the program. Professional staff should focus more on the day-to-day business. There is too much staff in the organization and an unrealistic attitude about what should be expected.

This company does a lot of great things for boys and girls.

I have been working at Boy Scouts of America full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

They teach boys life lessons that they will never forget. They teach them how to be leaders and good people.

Cons

They are very top heavy and pay these individuals way too much. Most of the employees at the corporate headquarters make $100,000 to $500,000. This money could be put back in to the Councils for the children, but like most overpaid employees, they are very arrogant and self-absorbed.

Reduce your top level staff and give back to the Councils who do the good deed.

A District Executive's perspective.

Former Employee - Boy Scouts District Executive in Tacoma, WA
    Former Employee - Boy Scouts District Executive in Tacoma, WA

I worked at Boy Scouts of America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This was a very challenging and satisfying position.

Cons

The pay is not so great for all that a person is asked to do. It seemed very much subject to office politics and the Council Executive did not want to follow the employee handbook.

I would love to see more regular visits by the regional Scout Director as a way of better watching what a Council Executive is doing and why they are doing it.

Boy Scouts of America Photos