Boy Scouts of America

Updated November 20, 2014
3.3

Boy Scouts of America Chief Scout Executive Wayne Brock
Wayne Brock

Pros
  • Can truly make a difference in the lives of today's youth (in 15 reviews)

• You get to meet great people trying to better their community (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Ultimately I left to achieve a better work life balance for my family's sake (in 17 reviews)

• Hours can be real long and there are many nights and weekends (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Poor Employer for Family-Oriented Individual

Former Employee - Program Director in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Program Director in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Boy Scouts of America full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The mission of the organization is outstanding, and it pays very well (especially for a nonprofit). The chances for promotion and excellent and you will meet some great people along the way. Every day is fast-paced and different from the day before.

Cons

You will be expected to sacrifice your personal time, family life, and own volunteerism for the sake of the organization. When I asked about paternity leave, my boss told me "That I must be joking so he could only laugh.", when I used all my personal vacation days my boss told me, "I expect you to leave at least 30% of your vacation unused", when I got engaged my boss told me, "If I'd known you were going to get married, I wouldn't have promoted you. Don't even think about having kids." During my tenure I had 7 different bosses, and all shared this mindset. In my final year, out of 52 weekends in the year I worked 41 of them. I was told by my supervisors that I was not allowed to pursue a graduate degree in my free time, nor was I allowed to volunteer for any organizations...that if I had time to volunteer then I had time to do more Boy Scout stuff. I was once told by a supervisor that if the sun was up, I was doing Boy Scout stuff; the only time for personal time was when it was dark and there wasn't a meeting I could attend. I worked for the Boy Scouts for 9 years and had to move 4 times (that's a move every 27 months).

Also, it is important to know this: the Boy Scouts of America has not grown in membership since the 1970s. Despite this fact, management still refuses to adapt to the reality of American society and today's youth. Staff is expected to live up to unrealistic goals, without the right support to make them happen.

Trust the volunteers more with the program. Professional staff should focus more on the day-to-day business. There is too much staff in the organization and an unrealistic attitude about what should be expected.

This company does a lot of great things for boys and girls.

I have been working at Boy Scouts of America full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

They teach boys life lessons that they will never forget. They teach them how to be leaders and good people.

Cons

They are very top heavy and pay these individuals way too much. Most of the employees at the corporate headquarters make $100,000 to $500,000. This money could be put back in to the Councils for the children, but like most overpaid employees, they are very arrogant and self-absorbed.

Reduce your top level staff and give back to the Councils who do the good deed.

A District Executive's perspective.

Former Employee - Boy Scouts District Executive in Tacoma, WA
    Former Employee - Boy Scouts District Executive in Tacoma, WA

I worked at Boy Scouts of America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This was a very challenging and satisfying position.

Cons

The pay is not so great for all that a person is asked to do. It seemed very much subject to office politics and the Council Executive did not want to follow the employee handbook.

I would love to see more regular visits by the regional Scout Director as a way of better watching what a Council Executive is doing and why they are doing it.

Rewarding Opportunities

Former Employee - Assistant Scoutmaster in West Columbia, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Scoutmaster in West Columbia, TX

I worked at Boy Scouts of America part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Opportunities for most youth to take part in the activities of their interest. Opportunities for adult leaders to broaden their horizons and learn many of the same skills.

Cons

Very political internal structure, who you know, not what you know. Very high cost to be a Scouting family. Camps, supplies, and requirements are beyond the reach of many of the families in our area.

Work with the persons who cannot attend camps to ensure all have an equal opportunity to progress through the merit system and achieve their goals.

Good opportunity to acquire job skills.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

I worked at Boy Scouts of America full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Scouting program is good for kids.

Cons

Below market pay. Management is basically the same people who have been running the organization for decades. No fresh ideas or approaches to challenges.

Hire qualified (and diversified) management from a pool of successful business executives who come from outside the organization.

Great Organization

I have been working at Boy Scouts of America

Pros

Networking, make your own schedule

Cons

Tough climate for fundraising, rely on volunteers

Slow to start but great future potential

Current Employee - Professional in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Professional in Washington, DC

I have been working at Boy Scouts of America full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Lots of exposure to community leaders, politicians, and activists.

Cons

The pay is not commensurate with the cost of living in some areas. Promotions are slow to come by and sometimes there are unrealistic expectations coming from top leadership.

Make sure that people know if they are doing well or if they are on a promotion track.

Summer Camp Staff

Former Employee - Staffer in Tillamook, OR
    Former Employee - Staffer in Tillamook, OR

I worked at Boy Scouts of America as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Lots of chances to go above and beyond. You can really stretch yourself or only do what is required and take your time doing projects.

Cons

The hours can be tough depending on what your job is. But you have more say about that as you work at a camp 3+ years.

Rewarding Experience

I worked at Boy Scouts of America

Pros

Opportunity to mentor young men and contribute to a better world.

Cons

You are not paid because it is volunteer work

Not perfect, but still a fantastic place to work!

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant

I have been working at Boy Scouts of America full-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you are in a good council, most of the focus is on making sure the kids have a rewarding experience. Even after the problems of the day, you can go home knowing you made a difference in the life of some child.

Cons

Management doesn't get the training they need to lead well, which causes a lot of communication and respect problems. People are promoted for the wrong reasons and egos run wild the higher up you get.

Remember the Boy Scout Law when at work and help others to uphold it. If you can follow that, you will have no problems.

Boy Scouts of America Photos