Boyd Bros. Transportation

Updated January 24, 2015
Updated January 24, 2015
2.6

Gail B. Cooper

Overall I'll have to give it a 7.5 with a chance to improve.

Current Employee - Flatbed Driver in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Flatbed Driver in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Boyd Bros. Transportation

Pros

Great company, benefits decent pay slow trucks but kept in good condition.

Cons

Communication with certain dispatchers is poor. Not all, but certainly mines! Management can seem a bit distant at times!

Just realize if it wasn't for the drivers there would be no company to manage!

Don't go to Boyd unless u want to go hungry.

Former Employee - Former Employee
    Former Employee - Former Employee

I worked at Boyd Bros. Transportation full-time (less than a year)

Pros

good equipment, direct TV @ $15.00 a week.

Cons

I worked for Boyd from mid November to mid January. Nd never got a good paycheck nd never got any miles I was promised. The most miles I got was about 1800. I was promised between 2500-2800 miles. They will also screw u out of per diem pay. Per diem is $59 a day for everyday away from home. Nd they only want to give u .8 per mile for per diem. I called payroll to get it fixed nd to no avail they did nothing. Nd if u need to get home for family matters, they won't get u home. They don't care about the drivers at all. They just care about filling the seat in the truck. If ur looking to make a living ur looking at the wrong company. I would rather work for Swift than go back to them. They will lie saying there r no loads nd keep u waiting for hours nd hours for a load.

Get rid of the 5 star fuel program. And take pride in the good drivers that want to work. And stop lying just to fill seats. A happy driver is a productive driver. Which in turn makes a productive company. Just remember honesty is the best policy. May God Bless u all.

I like boyd these other guys might have had a bad experience but mine has been great .btw maybe they didn't treat the cm with respect,or went in there thinking they could make the rules ect

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Boyd Bros. Transportation full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good equipment friendly ppl decent pay.I take home 900 plus a week no with freight no real waiting been here 2 yrs.

Cons

Not too many I hate the super singles the governor Sux

Rethink the 5 star program

dont waste your time

I worked at Boyd Bros. Transportation

Pros

its great if you want to be mistreated and drive for a company that dont care about you

Cons

Facility's a dump recruiters lie to get you in and beware of betty

Treat your employees better

Inconsistent miles, ratty equipment and constant lies..

Former Employee - Driver in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Driver in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Boyd Bros. Transportation full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I worked for this company for eighteen months,the only good points is their breakdown service, they'll get you home when you need to be, friendly but yet frustrated drivers.

Cons

I started as a company driver and then leased for six months in desperation to make money with this company, here's the cons: you'll rarely get in contact with your dispatcher by phone you'll have to message them and they lie to make you happy or to get what they want...
    weekend dispatch dosent know crap so good luck with that when your needing something.. watch your mpg or they'll terminate you if it isn't to their standards, you'll rarely see fuel bonuses if ever..very few preplaned loads so you'll be waiting for loads alot.. there terminal shops are slow so don't expect to get your truck back soon.. As a lease driver no detention pay, after about two months of leasing you'll began to get ripped off by hidden fees and other charges. And you'll have a lot of deadhead miles.. Talking to their office personnel is like talking to a brick wall and they've been their for twenty years..

Overall it comes down to better ethics and maybe then ya'll keep drivers.

Great if you have no ambition and are a complete idiot...you will move up fast here!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clayton, AL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clayton, AL

I worked at Boyd Bros. Transportation

Pros

It's a job, but the pay is below market rate for most of the lower and mid-level positions.

Cons

Too many bumbling idiots in the corporate office in Clayton who get paid too much to do pretty much nothing. Several well-paid "friends" of the family who have fake low-show jobs. A few people doing all the work and getting paid the least. Many people that work there have been there 15-20 years+ and STILL have no idea what they are doing or how to do their job. Boyd hires whatever local bum walks in the door and then makes him/her VP of BS after seeing how lazy and unqualified he/she is.

Start managing Boyd Bros. like a REAL 21st century company, not some mom-n-pop fun house. That business model may have worked in the good 'ol days, but its not sustainable any more. While other companies are hiring top-talent and promoting winners, Boyd keeps overpaying losers to show up and do little or no work while treating the REAL workers like indentured servants. RB: Cut out all the do-nothings, and start looking at who's doing the REAL work.

They have bad equipment.

Former Employee - Truck Driver in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Truck Driver in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Boyd Bros. Transportation full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The people are pretty friendly. They try their best to keep everything efficient, which is not a quality you see a lot nowadays with other companies.

Cons

They will promise you good miles, but they don't follow through on that promise. I have been there for four months and my average runs for a week is from 1500-1800 miles per week. Top pay was only 43 cents. They had poorly maintained equipment, and had bad communication between the dispatchers and the drivers. I spent more time in the shop than on the road. When I asked for another tuck to use so that I could still make money to support my family, they wouldn't provide me with one. The facilities in Cincinnati, OH are very filthy and desperately need to be cleaned up.

They need to be getting rid of some people that are not contributing to well-being of the company.

Good people and great breakdown service

Current Employee - Full Time Flatbed Driver in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Full Time Flatbed Driver in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Boyd Bros. Transportation full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The driver managers that I have had are good people. The safety department is very helpful and when you need service or to fix a problem on the road just call up and tell them what you need and its done. Home weekly with a decent check

Cons

The freight is slow right now and they keep hiring more drivers every week to compound this problem. They are forcing the new hires to start on E-logs and the trailers are never reported from other drivers so every time you swap trailers its a crapshoot. In my discussion from the senior drivers that are high CPM, the new drivers that are at a lower rate of pay get the great miles while the senior drivers are low balled, but I guess that is par for the course with any big company.

Stop hiring new drivers and start taking care of the good drivers you already have. Stop trying to limit what your drivers can make by selectively distributing good long runs to the new drivers to keep from "overpaying" the seasoned veterans.