Boyd Coffee Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.3
Jeffrey Newman

1. Good company with good products. They are a bit overpriced on the products though. It has a family feel in the company.

I worked at Boyd Coffee

Pros

Great people to work with and the customers are loyal to the products.

Cons

Management sometimes have no clue to what is going on.

2. District Sales Rep

Current Employee - District Sales Representative in Wolf Creek, OR
    Current Employee - District Sales Representative in Wolf Creek, OR

I have been working at Boyd Coffee full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

They produce a really good cup of coffee.It used to be a great company to work for.

Cons

How a company can be run so strong for 110 years and then fail so miserably in the last 5 is beyond me. It seems that they do everything like they are reinventing the wheel. All decisions seem to be knee jerk only trying to fix the problem right now, not look for a long term solution. As with the Core-Mark partnership, no one has any idea what the partnership will look like. We have been told to trust them (upper management) and it will all be good. We in the field are needed until they figure out what they want to do, and then we all get the ax.

Advice to Management

Just tell your employees in the field that you are going to be a manufacturing company and you are no longer going to be a delivery company.

Once great company hijacked .

Former Employee - District Sales Representative in Portland, OR

I worked at Boyd Coffee full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of hard street experience will make you look very attractive to the competition . Rivals love to hire old Boyd salesman .

Cons

Where do i begin? The old guard has moved on and this once efficient well managed company is being led by people whom have no clue what they are doing. The company continues to parade its financial woes in front of the world by regularly being out of key products that their customers need. The work vans are so old and dilapidated they have become embarrassing. Product innovation and development has come to a standstill . The compensation package has not seen a marked increase since the Clinton administration and lags far behind the competition.. Lack of budget has left morale at an all time low . Boyds used to be noted for its long term employee retention, is now an exodus scene. Management calls out people by name in front of co-workers when sales numbers are not to their satisfaction.

Advice to Management

Negative isn't working for you ! Repeated threatening of peoples livelihood has left you with what you've earned.

Circling the Drain

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Boyd Coffee full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Boyds has always had quality products, a dedicated sales force and a proud tradition. The Boyd family cared about its employees.

Cons

The company offers a dramatically shrinking product line, limiting sales chances to reach sales goals. The company culture became increasingly hostile, and management's decisions are leading the company down the road to ruin.

Advice to Management

Re-discover your roots and add SKUs and new products or face your future solely as a manufacturer.

6. District Sales Rep

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salem, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salem, OR

I worked at Boyd Coffee full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Drank coffee all day long, #2 in entire co for new acquisitions all 3 years, loved my customers

Cons

Grand kids retired and Great Grand kids took over much too soon, still wet behind the ears. started getting rid of older employee's. My direct supervisor was let go and only had 1 year till retirement.. We had two separate routes in Salem, and they combined them into one. Then then wanted to add a 3rd route to the mix, let me go and put my two routes on the Oregon City route, who quit after 3 months...it was too big of a route by then. Even thou my collections were with in company range, and I got my route done with no problems, If I wanted my old route back, I had to reapply as if I had never worked for Boyds before. this company has no respect for their employees since the Great Grand kids took over. We were all just an asset and they were the CIA at Boyds

Advice to Management

Your mistakes are making unnecessary changes and not adhering to the moto, If it ain't broken, don't fix it. You tried to make a mark on the wall with you presence. You knee jerk reacted to the economy in 2009. You were not in the 'red' and you acted like you were going in that direction...you panicked. You lost a lot of us good employees who believed in the company, you ruined it.

7. Unrealistic expectations

I worked at Boyd Coffee full-time

Pros

Good benefits, 401K, vision, and dental.

Cons

Family to work ratio is out of balance, while continuing to add increased responsibilities.

Advice to Management

Family owned company without much of a family atmosphere.

8. District Sales Representative

Current Employee - District Sales Representative in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - District Sales Representative in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Boyd Coffee full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great over all place to work. Awesome benefits with good pay.

Cons

What company doesn't have some sort of cons. Nothing out of the norm.

Advice to Management

Keep improving company strategies and continue to support our employees.

Not the family owned atmosphere it once was.

I have been working at Boyd Coffee

Pros

Talented and hard working team members.

Cons

Low compensation and poor moral

Advice to Management

Find a way to raise moral and make it a fun place to work again.

Don't be fooled by the couple of fake good reviews!

I have been working at Boyd Coffee full-time

Pros

The only pro I can think of is this company will either be bought out or bankrupt by 2015.

Cons

This is an old company that might have been successful 25 years ago but is failing horribly now.

Zero work-life balance in the field. No accountability in head quarters.

Zero sales direction/leadership. The senior leadership in the sales division has very little to no actual sales experience. Because of this, there is no clear sales direction, no sales programs, and little understanding of the marketplace. In fact, because the company is performing so poorly, The Executive Team has brought in 4 highly paid consultants to do the jobs that the Executive Team should be doing. The consultants do little more than collect their paychecks while this company tanks

Du.e to continuous cut-backs, sales training has gone from mediocre to epic failure. Not only is there no actual sales training, there is little product training. If you don't already know how to sell and if you don't know very much about coffee, you will not learn to be able to succeed here. If you already do know how to sell and you are very familiar with coffee, you will be working somewhere else!

District Sales Reps (DSRs) and Group Sales Managers (GSMs) are blamed for the failures of leadership to provide good products, fair pricing, great promotions, and adequate training. Sales are significantly down because of pathetic leadership decisions, not because DSRs and GSMs aren't working hard enough. A route sales guy could work 24 hours a day and still fail to grow sales due to lack of company resources and poor infrastructure.

The comp plan in sales is a joke. No one can tell you how they make commissions and the bonus program is based on whether they like you- it's not based on any real numbers. In fact, you will never see an accurate sales report. The ones that they sometime provide are so full of mistakes that you cannot trust them.

Service Techs are really overworked and undervalued. The old EQ that Boyd uses is always breaking down and customers need repairs. With 1 service tech per region, it's impossible to provide decent service. Service Techs are expected to work overtime but face severe discipline if they request overtime pay.
    The delivery trucks are so old that they spend more time in the shop than they do on the delivery routes. DSRs struggle to make deliveries using rented trucks with no shelves. Customers either run out of coffee and other products or they get overstocked because of the intermittent issues with deliveries.

Morale is so low both here in Portland and out in the field that most employees are looking for other jobs or just trying to hold on until they retire in a year or two. Every other day, someone in leadership complains about how badly the company is doing and how we are going to have to shut the doors for good but, no one does anything to fix it. Maybe they don't know how?

Overall, Boyd is company that failed (and continues to fail) to be progressive and forward thinking in their approach to new products and the new coffee/beverage marketplace. Today, there are many, many coffee companies out there doing a much better job growing their business. They all have better coffee, better branding, better marketing, better equipment, better pricing, better delivery and better service. AND, they treat their employees much better!!

Advice to Management

Sell to anyone willing to buy to this company!

ehhh....

Former Employee - District Sales Representative in Portland, OR

I worked at Boyd Coffee full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

free coffee...lots of free coffee..

Cons

too many and it mkes me mad just thinking about it

Advice to Management

work life balance is a joke, youre going to burn out the employees who make the $ to pay your salaries!

RSS Feed </> Embed