Boyd Gaming

Boyd Gaming Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Boyd Gaming CEO and President Keith E. Smith

Keith E. Smith

Pros
  • They also do have a a really good work life balance unlike other gaming companies that have a work work balance(in 4 reviews)

• The company also heavily promotes from within(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Too often a person in an upper management position will have either no casino experience or they are "old school" casino people(in 3 reviews)

• Negative work environment, no recognition, top-heavy, no one seems to really care what the lower level employees feel(in 3 reviews)

Nice place to work but does expect to get paid much.

Technical Analyst (Former Employee) Las Vegas, NV

ProsAt the time when I was employed, there were a lot of benefits.

ConsThere WERE a lot of benefits. Seems like they kind of slashed them since I left.

Advice to Senior ManagementTimes are tough keep up the benefits.

Jun 11, 2014

Thank you for your feedback.

As you know from your time with the Company, we strive to be an employer of choice. When we fall short of that, we want to know about it. That is why we commit to
    ... More

Not happy, miserable place to work.

Anonymous (Former Employee)

ProsOne hour paid lunch... And most if the regular customers are nice.

ConsFavoritism in this place is absurd!! Expect employees to do the work of 3 people but only give a measly .10 cent raise!! The "rules" change every day. You do not get proper training. This job will get you no where!!

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat everyone with the same regard. Rules are rules for everyone!!!

Jul 14, 2014

Thank you for your honest feedback.

Untrustworthy

Shift Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGood pay and benefits, room for advancement.

ConsEven though they say their policy is not to "sweat the money", it happens frequently. Too often a person in an upper management position will have either no casino experience or they are "old school" casino people. At times it reminded me of some of the Hollywood depictions of how a casino is run. Even though Boyd is well known in Nevada for being of a different caliber from the old mob run casinos, don't believe everything you hear. I am not talking about broken limbs, but rather ethics.

May 30, 2014

Thanks for your review. Boyd Gaming is committed to operating with the highest ethics, and when we fall short, we want to know about it.

We’re extremely concerned about the situation you
  1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best work-life balance for a gaming company

Manager Engineering (Former Employee) Las Vegas, NV

ProsThe company values that Boyd Gaming has is something that is not found in today's casino industry. The values and community involvement that Boyd Gaming exhibits come straight from the executive chairman and founder, Bill Boyd. While he has given up day to day operations he still has an enormous effect on how the company does business. Boyd while not an industry leader in compensation has the best work-life balance of any gaming company in Las Vegas. Boyd is also a great company when it comes to promoting from within.

ConsCompensation has been an issue over the years with Boyd, but they are now understanding the importance that compensation plays in turnover. Over the past couple of years it is obvious that they now understand that having compensation well below competitors has lead to losing solid employees and just being a training ground for others to come in and pick off their good employees.

May 22, 2014

Thanks for the positive feedback!

We’re glad to have had you on our team, and we’re glad you had a good experience working with us.

You did mention a few issues of concern. We’d invite you
    ... More

Working for this Company is awesome!

Casino Dealer (Current Employee) Las Vegas, NV

ProsThis company is like a second family. Upper- management treats every individual with a problem with empathy and total support. Promotes from within and hires dealers with minimum experience.

ConsHired as on-call can last years till promoted to part-time or full-time status.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot all of the dual-rate or full-time supervisors are consistent with fairness, and consistency with all dealers. Some of the players have terrible tantrums and management caves, condoning mistreatment of dealers.

May 22, 2014

Thank you for your review and sharing your experience with us. We are very fortunate to have a team member such as you as part of Boyd Gaming.

You did mention advice for management. We invite you

Overall rewarding

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood benefits, overall pleasant co workers, promotes within company

ConsCorporate needs to revamp property upper management, long work hours are expected

Advice to Senior ManagementCorporate should take a serious look at property management and rethink who is running the houses. Work ethics are not up to standards, and it all starts at the top to the bottom. Do as I say, not as I do, is in effect!

ok

ProsSome good people to work with

ConsExpectation are out of the ordinary

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more people

No longer a career. Just a job

Supervisor (Current Employee) Las Vegas, NV

ProsDecent work environment. Great loyal co-workers

ConsEvery year the benefits get worse and the cost of having them goes up. After the most recent Presidential election we were told that the company would have to take away 1 week pto from everyone. A senior manager proceeded to say I hope you're glad Obama was re-elected.
    There is almost no upward movement available in this company and by the time you reach the next level they have reduced the pay for the position while expanding the job duties.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you treat you're employees as if they are not important they will certainly feel unimportant.

May 22, 2014

We appreciate your honest and frank feedback.

As you know, we strive to be an employer of choice in our industry. When we fall short of that standard, we want to know about it, so we can work to

A fun place to work

Security (Current Employee) Las Vegas, NV

Prosyou get to know a lot of people and work with a great team. There is always something new going on that you can be involved with if you like .Free food & drink in EDR that is nice when working long shifts. can move up at a fast pace if you are very good at what you do.

Conslong hours that can change without much time to prepare for the next day if you have small kids this can be hard with school and slow to get higher pay in some jobs . hard to keep up with some cards that you must maintain for feds.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is bad to post security in spots without movers because patterns develop that make the main cage a better target armed security moving around without a pattern that can be picked up on real fast is a better fit garage checks at odd times with a mix of by foot on bike and car makes crooks not just look for one thing and can cause them to look for a softer target and not think about robbing you in the first place unarmed security at doors looks week add a coat and they think that is something to contend with as a armed security and that can change the pattern of thought of a crook and help reduce runs at the main cage and guest in the lot. I spent a lot of time interviewing criminals and it seamed they only care about security that is armed or might be. All I spoke with stated that if they couldn't tell if the security was armed and see some that are than they must all be. and most criminals don't wish to deal with that.

Employee morale has gone down the toilet(17 yr employee)

Anonymous (Current Employee) Las Vegas, NV

ProsFellow employees and some regular customers make the job bearable. The money is pretty good most of the time but about half of what it was before this corporation took over. (Meaning tips. That is what I rely on)

ConsThere is blatant favoritism, which creates a hostile work environment. One of my 4 supervisors is professional and fair. The company boasts an "open door" policy which is a joke. Retaliation is rampant in my dept.. The "Boyd style" is an even bigger joke. They say they care about how people are treated, from the customer to employee, yet they do nothing in response to numerous complaints of misconduct by our department head.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management need to address the "lowly" trench workers issues. We are expected to be treated poorly & disrespectfully, even yelled at or talked down to, then put on a big smile & be pleasant to our customers. If we treated the customers the way some of the bosses treat the emplyees, we would not be employed for long.

Worked for Boyd Gaming? Contribute to the Community!