Boyd Gaming

Updated February 10, 2015
3.1

Boyd Gaming CEO and President Keith E. Smith
Keith E. Smith

Pros
  • They also do have a a really good work life balance unlike other gaming companies that have a work work balance (in 4 reviews)

• The company also heavily promotes from within (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Too often a person in an upper management position will have either no casino experience or they are "old school" casino people (in 3 reviews)

• Negative work environment, no recognition, top-heavy, no one seems to really care what the lower level employees feel (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

I like the place and good personal

I have been working at Boyd Gaming

Pros

I considerate is a good team

Cons

Excellent job for my guest

considers new employees, give more days and hours of work

Feb 12, 2015Company Administrator

Thanks for the positive feedback!

We’re glad to have you on our team, and we’re thrilled to hear that you’ve had a good experience working with us. Please know that you have the Open Door Policy

Excellent Company

I have been working at Boyd Gaming

Pros

Overall a friendly and interesting place to work

Cons

Working hard to expand the company

Jan 13, 2015Company Administrator

Thanks for the positive feedback!

Thanks again for your review!

A great place to work at.

Current Employee - Cocktail Waitress in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Cocktail Waitress in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Boyd Gaming

Pros

There is a very strong family feeling between other staff and customers. Everyone is very friendly.

Cons

Sometimes certain shifts can be harder than others. Also, I wish I was a full time employee versus on call.

Thank you for the opportunity to be a part of the team/family.

Jan 13, 2015Company Administrator

... More

Great chance to be promoted no matter how long with the company but pay probably isn't worth it.

Current Employee - Information Technology in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Information Technology in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Boyd Gaming

Pros

Working environment is great to work for. Great chance to promote from within.

Cons

Pay scale is not competitive at all and especially if you are promoted internally. Will probably make bottom 10 percent of what the average pay for your job is. Also HR won't take your opinion of pay in to account nor will they attempt to sit down and renegotiate pay unless SR management makes a stand and they won't.

Seriously should sit down and discuss pay or put in place a system where employees can get increases in pay especially for internal employees who have put time in with the company to match market value that is current with other casinos or at least comparable to the average pay of the job you do.

Going downhill

Former Employee - Mid Career in East Peoria, IL
    Former Employee - Mid Career in East Peoria, IL

I worked at Boyd Gaming

Pros

Fun place in central Illinois.

Cons

Some true professionals are true professionals and others are corrupt or have very poor management styles. The core beliefs are not upheld by all of top management. Non-smoking and opening up video games to public venues has taken its toll. A company is only as good as the person/s leading it,,,without their integrity you have no good foundation.

Let conscience, not money or greed be your guide. Do what you know is right in your heart...you'll feel good and it has a positive trickle-down effect!

Feb 2, 2015Company Administrator

We appreciate your honest feedback.

As you know, we strive to be an employer of choice in our industry. When we fall short of that standard, we want to know about it, so we can work to improve
    ... More

Fun place to work but doesn't pay well.

I have been working at Boyd Gaming

Pros

The people are really great to work with and it is never a boring job. You can definitely tell Management tries to make up for the lack of pay.

Cons

The pay is very low for the amount of work put in. Very stressful environment at times.

Feb 2, 2015Company Administrator

We appreciate your honest feedback.

We strive to be an employer of choice in our industry. When we fall short of that standard, we want to know about it, so we can work to improve.

Assuming you

Dealing: My Dream Job

Current Employee - Table Games Dealer in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Table Games Dealer in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Boyd Gaming part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I LOVE the teamwork. Working with Human Resources has been a real pleasure. The supervision staff, especially Lori Sommerness, has been so professional and caring that it has been smooth and easy to learn my new job. The leadership has been superb. I absolutely love my schedule.

Cons

At this point I am part-time and do not share in the benefits of full-time workers. I am looking forward to growing in this company so I may be considered for more hours later. I wish it was a smoke-free environment.

Keep up the good work. I liked everything about getting the job, and appreciate it very much.

Dec 27, 2014Company Administrator

Thanks for the positive feedback! We’re glad to have you on our team, and we’re thrilled to hear that you’ve had a good experience working with us.

Thanks again for your review!

Really love what I am doing in slot marketing!

Current Employee - Slot Marketing in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Slot Marketing in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Boyd Gaming part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Benefits(once I start receiving them) and the team members dinning room.

Cons

Some of the challenges have been getting comfortable with the people that I work with. Some of them not very nice, tattle tales, and don't even show up for work.

A better eye on what is going on in our department.

Dec 22, 2014Company Administrator

Not employee friendly

Current Employee - Hourly Worker in Biloxi, MS
    Current Employee - Hourly Worker in Biloxi, MS

I have been working at Boyd Gaming full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits, expensive, but at least they have them. PTO, when you can get it

Cons

No respect for seniority. Got yanked from a job I truly enjoyed and put in a job I hate because the manager of the department I got moved to wanted to get rid of someone. No choice in the matter. If you're not rah rah enough, forget promotions. And raises are a joke. I work hard, very rarely miss any time, and am not rewarded for it. A one percent raise is nothing. Management does not treat everyone equally. Screw up, if you're "in", don't worry about it. If not, watch out.

Treat all employees the same. Recognize and appreciate the hard workers you have. Give seniority respect.

Feb 10, 2015Company Administrator

Thank you for your honest feedback.

Don't apply

I have been working at Boyd Gaming

Pros

Nothing. You will be promised many things, don't get your hopes up. You'll be lied to, not treated with respect, and they do not pay you what you're worth. Do not apply here.

Cons

Shady shady shady company. Do not apply here. Your boss will not look out for you or help you. Employees are on drugs but human resources turn their head. No body cares about anybody but themselves. One man for himself at this employer.

They are all drug addicts.

Jan 14, 2015Company Administrator

Needless to say, we are extremely concerned about the issues you raised in your review. The only way we can address them, however, is to get more information on exactly what happened.

We ask that