Boyd Gaming

Boyd Gaming Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Boyd Gaming CEO and President Keith E. Smith

Keith E. Smith

Pros
  • They also do have a a really good work life balance unlike other gaming companies that have a work work balance(in 4 reviews)

• The company also heavily promotes from within(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Too often a person in an upper management position will have either no casino experience or they are "old school" casino people(in 3 reviews)

• Negative work environment, no recognition, top-heavy, no one seems to really care what the lower level employees feel(in 3 reviews)

Boyd is a "people oriented" organization, with lots of potential for employees

Systems Engineer, IT (Current Employee) Las Vegas, NV

ProsThis company seems to pride itself on employee loyalty, flexibility, and a stress-free worker culture. The balance between personal life and strong work ethic is a priority for upper management. This ethos supports a culture of loyalty at the company.
    The company also heavily promotes from within. Boyd provides opportunities to employees that have the ability to constantly progress without being stymied by politics or nepotism.

ConsSalary and pay rates lag behind other competitors in the local industry. Employee performance review process does not seem to carry weight with regards to compensation and promotions.

Jul 10, 2014

Thank you for the positive feedback! We’re glad to have you on our team, and we’re thrilled to hear that you’ve had a good experience working with us.

You did mention a few issues of concern

Fun!

Arena Usher (Current Employee)

ProsGreat people to work alongside with. Pretty good events at the arena.

ConsLittle, if any room for advancement or full time work. Very few hours overall.

Jul 14, 2014

Thank you for the positive feedback! We’re glad to have you as part of the team!

You did mention a few issues of concern . We’d invite you to address these concerns by taking advantage of our Open
    ... More

No longer family style business

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Las Vegas, NV

ProsDecent pay, benefits good, overall hourly staff hard working.

ConsUsed to be family oriented, now just another Corporation, Management needs to be retrained in following policies and procedures, not to just their benefit or a family members.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is untrustworthy, open door policy is a joke. You talk in private and everyone knows within a day what was discussed. Hourly and Managerial family members work together, and get promoted, who's watching who?

Jul 14, 2014

Thank you for your honest feedback.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Corporate culture based on family values

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Las Vegas, NV

ProsBenefits are decent for a gaming company. Team members (not management) works hard and overall atmosphere in the office is friendly and collaborative.

ConsManagement sucks. The environment is so political that it becomes toxic and morale declines. Rather than putting egos aside and being collaborative, managers constantly talk about one another.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvancement and raises should be based on merit.

Jun 30, 2014

Thank you for your honest and frank feedback.

... More

Constantly taking away benefits.

Security Officer (Current Employee) Las Vegas, NV

ProsI really enjoy my coworkers and lower level management. They make you feel appreciated if you put in the work. Good communication between team members and management.

ConsConstantly taking away benefits. Taking away paid time off, can't request extra (unpaid) days off, took away early outs for when it's slow, randomly making new blackout periods for time off, and in my department they just try to make you not want to work here anymore. They are constantly taking away any happiness from employees. Also considered "late" if you clock in when your shift starts. Required to work more than 8 hours and only get paid for 8.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop taking away benefits because the morale has fallen off a cliff in recent times.

Jul 2, 2014

We appreciate your honest and frank feedback.

As you know, we strive to be an employer of choice in our industry. When we fall short of that standard, we want to know about it, so we can work to

Mostly positive experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) East Peoria, IL

Prosgood pay & benefits, decent training, opportunities to advance if motivated, management seemed responsive to employee input

ConsIt's a casino...the hours can be tough, but I knew that when accepting the position. Most of the cons are very apparent prior to working there....some uniforms are a bit revealing, late hours, working around customers who may be very upset about losing money. I feel there really weren't any surprising cons to this company.

Jun 27, 2014

Thank you for the positive feedback! We’re glad you had a good experience working with us and we wish you all the best in your future endeavors.

Thanks again for your review!

Large Corporation That Feels Like a Family Owned Business

Manager (Current Employee) Las Vegas, NV

ProsThe thing that sets Boyd Gaming apart from other gaming companies is its culture. From the time you apply to being hired and through your career, you hear about Boyd Style. The executives are approachable for the most part and like any company there is bureaucracy, but everyone treats you like family. They are one of the few gaming companies that still has service awards and a decent recognition program. Guess that's why so many people stay with the company. They also do have a a really good work life balance unlike other gaming companies that have a work work balance.

ConsWith the recession, the cost of benefits has gone up while raises have been little or non existent. But I can understand that you can't give huge raises if the company isn't making money.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease think about bringing back some of the benefits such as tuition reimbursement and increasing the 401k match. Also, its time to get real about giving increases. 1% isn't even keeping up with inflation.

Jun 13, 2014

Thanks for the positive feedback! We’re glad to have you on our team, and we’re thrilled to hear that you’ve had a good experience working with us.

You did mention a few issues of concern. We’d
    ... More

Very good experience. Great place to work

Casino Host (Former Employee) Opelousas, LA

ProsEqual opportunity employer. Easy advantage to move up.

ConsPay seems to be on the low side.

Advice to Senior ManagementStep up the pay!!! You will gain better employees.

Jun 18, 2014

We appreciate your review and thank you for the feedback.

Table Games Dealer

Table Games Dealer (Current Employee) Henderson, NV

ProsGet to see and hear interesting stories from people around the world. If you like being challenged mentally there is always something to learn.

ConsThe customers take out their frustration on the dealers.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen customers are losing they will blame the dealer.

Jun 11, 2014

Thank you for your honest and frank feedback.

We strive to be an employer of choice in our industry. When we fall short of that standard, we want to know about it, so we can work to improve.

If
    ... More

Nice place to work but does expect to get paid much.

Technical Analyst (Former Employee) Las Vegas, NV

ProsAt the time when I was employed, there were a lot of benefits.

ConsThere WERE a lot of benefits. Seems like they kind of slashed them since I left.

Advice to Senior ManagementTimes are tough keep up the benefits.

Jun 11, 2014

Thank you for your feedback.

As you know from your time with the Company, we strive to be an employer of choice. When we fall short of that, we want to know about it. That is why we commit to
    ... More

Worked for Boyd Gaming? Contribute to the Community!