Boyd Gaming Reviews

Updated October 10, 2014
2.9

Boyd Gaming CEO and President Keith E. Smith
Keith E. Smith

Pros
  • They also do have a a really good work life balance unlike other gaming companies that have a work work balance (in 4 reviews)

• The company also heavily promotes from within (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • The company boasts an "open door" policy which is a joke (in 3 reviews)

• Too often a person in an upper management position will have either no casino experience or they are "old school" casino people (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Conservative Pay for most positions

Current Employee - Executive Secretary in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Executive Secretary in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Boyd Gaming full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Paid holidays at corporate offices

Cons

401(k) match is paltry compared to most gaming companies

Loosen up dollars to pay employees more

Oct 12, 2014Company Administrator

We appreciate your honest and frank feedback.

As you know, we strive to be an employer of choice in our industry. When we fall short of that standard, we want to know about it, so we can work to
    ... More

Cage cashier was decent money for easy job.

I worked at Boyd Gaming

Pros

The money is decent, employees are fun.

Cons

This company follows a point system policy.

It would be nice if the insurance was better and cheaper.

Sep 29, 2014Company Administrator

Thank you for your review. Boyd Gaming is committed to operating with the highest ethics, and when we fall short, we want to know about it.

We will pass along both your compliments and your
    ... More

I love working here, everyone is helpful and nice.

Current Employee - Specialty Bus Person in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Specialty Bus Person in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Boyd Gaming part-time (less than an year)

Pros

There are a lot of great people here staff is awesome! Enjoy coming everyday to work, I can see myself here for a long time.

Cons

I don't see no cons yet I am still new to the company, all I know is it's great.

Awesome job!

Sep 18, 2014Company Administrator

Thanks for the positive feedback! We’re glad to have you on our team, and we’re thrilled to hear that you’ve had a good experience working with us.

Thanks again for your review.

A steady paycheck.

Current Employee - Table Games Supervisor in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Table Games Supervisor in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Boyd Gaming full-time

Pros

A "paycheck" for life. It would be very difficult to lose a job at Boyd gaming. They have fair medical benefits.

Cons

Amateur management team. Management does not like suggestions or ideas. The company has not kept up with the times and operates like its still 1980. Salaries are sub par. The work culture is very weak. Very few employees take pride in their work. Work loads and pay are very imbalanced.

Sep 19, 2014Company Administrator

We appreciate your honest and frank feedback.

... More

Amazing, love my job, wish it paid better

I have been working at Boyd Gaming

Pros

The people. The ones I work with and the guests. My job is very enjoyable. Management is great and the opportunity to advice is there

Cons

Pay sucks. At least offer overtime if you can't pay better or cross train something

Sep 18, 2014Company Administrator

Thank you for your honest feedback.

We strive to be an employer of choice. When we fall short of that, we want to know about it. That is why we commit to items such as our team member opinion
    ... More

Awful, very inexperienced management.

Current Employee - Casino in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Casino in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Boyd Gaming full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Steady paycheck. Hourly employees are great.

Cons

I work in a downtown property and management basically blamed us for the awful shortcomings they have. Our VP has become so outdated in his running of our casino that it is failing. He is always golfing and doesn't actually know what goes on in his casino. Shameful. They took a week of vacation away from us per year, they took our pto sellback away, they have more than tripled our cost of medical insurance since it was changed from percs,

But the most worrisome thing of all is that picture frame of managers they put up and all of them are Caucasian. Except the FB director. He's the only African American. They laid off the other African American manager. But you look the employee of the month wall there is the diversity they so claim.

If your heart is really not in it you should move elsewhere. Good employees are being lost because of your inadequacies and severe lack of knowledge or skill.
    Diversity is lost on you. Get better HR representatives because frankly they are a joke. They now refer you to outside companies or materials to deal with your "problem." ALOHA.

Oct 8, 2014Company Administrator

We appreciate your frank and honest feedback.

It is always helpful to get the perspective of a long-time team member. You’ve been with us for a significant amount of time, and we hope your
    ... More

If You're non-management, watch out!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Boyd Gaming full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits were on-par with today's standards, Usually the properties are well maintained. Free employee meals.

Cons

Their open door policy is used as a tool to retaliate against you. I've seen some genuinely good employees go to HR for help about being harassed, treated differently or something unfair in their dept only to have it happen more blantently before they are ultimately fired or forced to quit. Management laughs about the issues amongst each other and uses HR as their weapon against employees so their actions are covered and HR helps them find a way to fire the employee.

Nothing but a corrupt bunch of fools who want to make the rules up as they go along and god forbid anyone has a problem with anything or youre history.

Im go glad i walked out on these guys , the place wasnt worth the stress.

You spend all day preaching your core values, try following them yourselves. Your management is abusive and they think its funny.

Sep 2, 2014Company Administrator

Thanks for your review. Boyd Gaming is committed to operating with the highest ethics, and when we fall short, we want to know about it.

We’re extremely concerned about the situation you
    ... More

Smart, friendly family owned company that is losing market share due to increasing competition

Current Employee - Supervisor in Peoria, IL
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Peoria, IL

I have been working at Boyd Gaming full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Positive work environment. Friendly employees & customers. Customer oriented focus. Some top management actually cared and listened to the employees. They promote from within. Decent benefits. Free food. Great work schedule.

Cons

The pay was not the best. Small bonuses. The chain of command was a bit disorganized, and there was a lack of communication between departments. I don't think they reached out to understand their customers very well. The gaming Industry lacks avenues for growth, and the market is becoming saturated.

Listen to the customers. Don't just ignore what they have to say, because it conflicts with revenue. Bridges were being burnt with customers all the time, sooner or later, if things don't change or more new customers are not created, there will be no solid ground for the company to stand on.

Aug 11, 2014Company Administrator

Thank you for your honest feedback.

... More

Paul M. The manager at Eldarodo, and Jokers Wild Is. GOOD AMERICAN!

I have been working at Boyd Gaming

Pros

Great Nose to Nose Marketing! Great customer service! He the MAN.

Cons

ZIP< NONE Not with this TEAM 110%

Name him CHIEF RUN SO FAST!

Aug 11, 2014Company Administrator

Thank you for the positive feedback! We’re glad to have you as part of the team!

Paul M sounds like a true leader. We appreciate your information.

Thanks again for your review!

Boyd is a "people oriented" organization, with lots of potential for employees

Current Employee - Systems Engineer, IT in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer, IT in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Boyd Gaming full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This company seems to pride itself on employee loyalty, flexibility, and a stress-free worker culture. The balance between personal life and strong work ethic is a priority for upper management. This ethos supports a culture of loyalty at the company.
    The company also heavily promotes from within. Boyd provides opportunities to employees that have the ability to constantly progress without being stymied by politics or nepotism.

Cons

Salary and pay rates lag behind other competitors in the local industry. Employee performance review process does not seem to carry weight with regards to compensation and promotions.

Jul 10, 2014Company Administrator

Thank you for the positive feedback! We’re glad to have you on our team, and we’re thrilled to hear that you’ve had a good experience working with us.

You did mention a few issues of concern