Boyd Gaming

Updated December 17, 2014
3.1

Boyd Gaming CEO and President Keith E. Smith
Keith E. Smith

Pros
  • They also do have a a really good work life balance unlike other gaming companies that have a work work balance (in 4 reviews)

• The company also heavily promotes from within (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Too often a person in an upper management position will have either no casino experience or they are "old school" casino people (in 3 reviews)

• Negative work environment, no recognition, top-heavy, no one seems to really care what the lower level employees feel (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Really love what I am doing in slot marketing!

Current Employee - Slot Marketing in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Slot Marketing in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Boyd Gaming part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Benefits(once I start receiving them) and the team members dinning room.

Cons

Some of the challenges have been getting comfortable with the people that I work with. Some of them not very nice, tattle tales, and don't even show up for work.

A better eye on what is going on in our department.

Dec 22, 2014Company Administrator

We appreciate your feedback and we're glad to have you on our team!!!

Dealing: My Dream Job

Current Employee - Table Games Dealer in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Table Games Dealer in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Boyd Gaming part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I LOVE the teamwork. Working with Human Resources has been a real pleasure. The supervision staff, especially Lori Sommerness, has been so professional and caring that it has been smooth and easy to learn my new job. The leadership has been superb. I absolutely love my schedule.

Cons

At this point I am part-time and do not share in the benefits of full-time workers. I am looking forward to growing in this company so I may be considered for more hours later. I wish it was a smoke-free environment.

Keep up the good work. I liked everything about getting the job, and appreciate it very much.

Dec 27, 2014Company Administrator

Thanks again for your review!

First casino job, glad to say BOYD is a great company.

Current Employee - Security Officer in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Security Officer in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Boyd Gaming full-time (less than an year)

Pros

At first I thought "oh a lower scale casino corporation, compared to MGM" man was I wrong. BOYD cares very much about their employees & customers.

I was very well pleased with how much training I received I actually felt great about going into my job title with all the training provided.

Pay is mediocre but what can I expect for entry level, it's competitive.
    Benefits are great too.

They also are in the process of renovating the Gold Coast, which was needed.

I also just received my check a few days early because of Thanksgiving & heard something about a Christmas bonus! Just those few things make me want to stay with BOYD Gaming for the future.

BOYD takes care of everyone.

Cons

Typical casino cons: late hours, smoke, some customers that just want handouts & some supervisors & or managers are just rude.

Only thing I would recommend is listen to your employees, they might have ideas no one has thought of.

The team member questionaire is a great way to get your employees thoughts.

Dec 8, 2014Company Administrator

We're glad that you pointed out the TMOS program

Positive experience!

Current Employee - Designer
    Current Employee - Designer

I have been working at Boyd Gaming full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This is a great company to work for to gain some valuable first hand experience. Great team environment and a great sense of job security. The company strives to provide whatever is necessary for you to fulfill your job functions as effectively as possible.

Cons

No growth plan for employees. virtually no raises and no way to "grow" as you gain better experience. Just stuck. Obnoxious dress code for corporate team members who work in cubicles all day. Salaries could be a lot more competitive, I would not call it a "living" wage...

If they make salaries more competitive and offer regular raises based on performance and delivery then there would probably be less turnover.

Dec 17, 2014Company Administrator

Thanks for the positive feedback!

You did mention a few issues of concern
    ... More

The casino business is fun again!

I have been working at Boyd Gaming

Pros

The rapport between the co-workers.

Cons

The same as any casino: noise, smoke, hours,

Keep it fun for us and we'll keep it fun for the customers.

Dec 1, 2014Company Administrator

We want to encourage you to participate in the

Great

Former Employee - Valet Attendant
    Former Employee - Valet Attendant

I worked at Boyd Gaming

Pros

All..everyone is helpful and nice and friendly

Cons

Pay could be better..but the environment could be better

Nov 20, 2014Company Administrator

Thank you for the positive feedback! We’re glad that you had a good experience working with us. We'll pass along your comments to senior management.

Thanks again for your review.

Great company

I have been working at Boyd Gaming

Pros

Very reasonable company. Easy to talk to upper management. Everyone is friendly.

Cons

It took awhile to go through the hiring process.

Nov 8, 2014Company Administrator

Thanks for the positive feedback! We’re glad to have you on our team, and we’re thrilled to hear that you’ve had a good experience working with us. With the upcoming team member opinion survey we ... More

Boyd is FAMILY.

Former Employee - Table Games Dealer in Tunica, MS
    Former Employee - Table Games Dealer in Tunica, MS

I worked at Boyd Gaming full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Less stressful than other gaming companies. Great co-workers, great management. People respect and speak to each other, even between departments. No one looks down on another. We take care of each other. Always big on training people who want to move up and around in the company. I was always very proud to say I worked for Boyd.

Cons

Typical casino cons: Smoke. Noise. There will always be a couple of people you don't necessarily get along with, but this really was rarely a problem compared to other casinos. Boyd employees really do enjoy a family atmosphere.

Keep it up. The recession hit hard and layoffs were hurtful, tough times. But, you've really scaled back well and focused on your target customer. Business has picked considerably up as a result, and I cannot wait for the day I get to come back home. Here's to further growth in the Tunica community and for all Boyd family!

Nov 12, 2014Company Administrator

Thanks for the positive feedback!

We’re glad that you were a part of our Sam's Town Tunica team and we’re thrilled to hear that you had a good experience working with us.

Thanks again for
    ... More

BOYD Gaming is a great company to work for !

Current Employee - Executive Steward in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Executive Steward in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Boyd Gaming full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I must say Boyd gaming values relationships with Team member plus as a very good promotional program!

Cons

Boyd Gaming has a mutitude of challegance you will face on a daily base but with that said it comes with the hosipitality field!

The only thing that i could advise or ask upper managemnet to do is be more proactive Lead by simple!

Nov 1, 2014Company Administrator

Doesn't care about employees

Current Employee - Kitchen Help in Mulvane, KS
    Current Employee - Kitchen Help in Mulvane, KS

I have been working at Boyd Gaming full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pay is OK benefits good but pricey, OT available in buffet

Cons

No breaks except your 30 minute paid lunch.work every holiday with no extra pay and no chance of getting any of them off to be with family. They do not value their employeesno matter how hard you work. They pick favorites to get promoted.

Promote those who work hard and have good attitudes. Show appreciation for those who work hard for you by paying more for holidays, offering bonuses and giving free food to employees more often. Most of us do not feel appreciated.

Dec 1, 2014Company Administrator

We appreciate your honest and frank feedback.

As you know, we strive to be an employer of choice in our industry. When we fall short of that standard, we want to know about it, so we can work to