Boyd Gaming

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Boyd Gaming CEO and President Keith E. Smith

Keith E. Smith

Overall rewarding

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Boyd Gaming full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood benefits, overall pleasant co workers, promotes within company

ConsCorporate needs to revamp property upper management, long work hours are expected

Advice to Senior ManagementCorporate should take a serious look at property management and rethink who is running the houses. Work ethics are not up to standards, and it all starts at the top to the bottom. Do as I say, not as I do, is in effect!

ok

I have been working at Boyd Gaming full-time

ProsSome good people to work with

ConsExpectation are out of the ordinary

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more people

A fun place to work

Security (Current Employee)

I have been working at Boyd Gaming full-time for more than 3 years

Prosyou get to know a lot of people and work with a great team. There is always something new going on that you can be involved with if you like .Free food & drink in EDR that is nice when working long shifts. can move up at a fast pace if you are very good at what you do.

Conslong hours that can change without much time to prepare for the next day if you have small kids this can be hard with school and slow to get higher pay in some jobs . hard to keep up with some cards that you must maintain for feds.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is bad to post security in spots without movers because patterns develop that make the main cage a better target armed security moving around without a pattern that can be picked up on real fast is a better fit garage checks at odd times with a mix of by foot on bike and car makes crooks not just look for one thing and can cause them to look for a softer target and not think about robbing you in the first place unarmed security at doors looks week add a coat and they think that is something to contend with as a armed security and that can change the pattern of thought of a crook and help reduce runs at the main cage and guest in the lot. I spent a lot of time interviewing criminals and it seamed they only care about security that is armed or might be. All I spoke with stated that if they couldn't tell if the security was armed and see some that are than they must all be. and most criminals don't wish to deal with that.

No longer a career. Just a job

Supervisor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Boyd Gaming full-time for more than 10 years

ProsDecent work environment. Great loyal co-workers

ConsEvery year the benefits get worse and the cost of having them goes up. After the most recent Presidential election we were told that the company would have to take away 1 week pto from everyone. A senior manager proceeded to say I hope you're glad Obama was re-elected.
There is almost no upward movement available in this company and by the time you reach the next level they have reduced the pay for the position while expanding the job duties.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you treat you're employees as if they are not important they will certainly feel unimportant.

Employee morale has gone down the toilet(17 yr employee)

Anonymous (Current Employee)

I have been working at Boyd Gaming for more than 10 years

ProsFellow employees and some regular customers make the job bearable. The money is pretty good most of the time but about half of what it was before this corporation took over. (Meaning tips. That is what I rely on)

ConsThere is blatant favoritism, which creates a hostile work environment. One of my 4 supervisors is professional and fair. The company boasts an "open door" policy which is a joke. Retaliation is rampant in my dept.. The "Boyd style" is an even bigger joke. They say they care about how people are treated, from the customer to employee, yet they do nothing in response to numerous complaints of misconduct by our department head.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management need to address the "lowly" trench workers issues. We are expected to be treated poorly & disrespectfully, even yelled at or talked down to, then put on a big smile & be pleasant to our customers. If we treated the customers the way some of the bosses treat the emplyees, we would not be employed for long.

Typical greedy corporation

I have been working at Boyd Gaming full-time for more than 8 years

Prosthere used to be quite few but someone named Corporate took away/ cut most benefits.

Consalot of brain washing training about customer service - no cost of living raises or any raises for that matter.

Advice to Senior Managementwait til the economy turns around - you people will lose all the good employees - Sam would be appalled by the way employees are treated these days.

no longer a good place to work

Member (Current Employee)

I have been working at Boyd Gaming full-time for more than 10 years

Prosused to have good pay and benefits then Bill Boyd retired and they cut everything to shreads

Consno pay raises not even a cost of living raise -- constant layoffs - brain washing customer service training by corporate drones -- benefits cuts

Advice to Senior Managementgive back what was taken away - its only fair

Managed by Half-Wits

I have been working at Boyd Gaming

ProsFree "food", like in every other casino.

ConsYou will be treated like a parolee from day one. You will be chastised and threatened with termination for the slightest and most insignificant of variations from their procedures. The floor supervisors will tolerate the most abusive and obscene conduct from customers - yet management still finds ways to chase off high-rollers who actually tip. Oh, yes, they nickel and dime the customers and then when guests approval ratings drop, the employees are told to smile more, because it's obviously not hair-brained decisions on managements part that caused the decline in customer satisfaction.

Advice to Senior ManagementSomeone named Boyd should fire all the senior management. They are the worst management I've ever dealt with in this or any other industry I've worked. So, my advice to management would be: Pray nobody else takes over the company and analyzes why it's losing money.

VERRRRRY Corporate...

Beverage Server (Current Employee)

I have been working at Boyd Gaming full-time for more than 5 years

ProsStreamlined, that is about it...

ConsDoes not listen to employees

Advice to Senior ManagementGet to know your employees

I was sold a bag of tricks!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Boyd Gaming full-time for more than a year

ProsWork-life balance (for now, but management is pushing people to expect longer days), some team members, the Boyd family

ConsNegative work environment, no recognition, top-heavy, no one seems to really care what the lower level employees feel.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart listening to the people who do the most work for you. The executives don't care, stop pretending. Review your benefit programs, and it might be wise to return many of the benefits lost over the preceding years, employees are not happy about that. Stop FORCING United Way; let it be something employees do if they choose, but it would be even better if you added some other local charity options and maybe even honor 8 hours paid to volunteer as you choose any time during the year for the community.

Worked for Boyd Gaming? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Boyd Gaming reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Boyd Gaming CEO Keith E. Smith. All 44 reviews posted anonymously by Boyd Gaming employees.