Boyd Gaming Reviews

Reset
3.1
Boyd Gaming CEO and President Keith E. Smith
Keith E. Smith

Pros
  • They also do have a a really good work life balance unlike other gaming companies that have a work work balance (in 4 reviews)

• Promotes from within and hires dealers with minimum experience (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Too often a person in an upper management position will have either no casino experience or they are "old school" casino people (in 3 reviews)

• Negative work environment, no recognition, top-heavy, no one seems to really care what the lower level employees feel (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Good people.

I have been working at Boyd Gaming full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people and they have provided everything I need to get my job done, which is what I expect from my employer. Everyone is friendly where I work and the facility is nice. Boyd is big on philanthropy, which I really appreciate. They have a stand up reputation around the state for being a corporation that cares.

Cons

The dress code is very rigid. Be prepared for formal business attire.

Advice to Management

8 hours of orientation is too long, expecting people to get the required online policy training at their desk after starting a new position within set timeline is a bit unrealistic.

Apr 5, 2015Company Administrator

We

2. IT

Former Employee - Business Analyst Intern in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Business Analyst Intern in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Boyd Gaming (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice place to work and learn.

Cons

Nothing to worry about, great company

3. Benefits

I worked at Boyd Gaming full-time

Pros

They have a generous benefit package and PTO accrual. Numerous opportunities for advancement within the company. The company has properties all around the country.

Cons

The HRA and health coaching required to receive a discount on benefits seems excessive but I guess most companies have implemented this policy.

Advice to Management

Speak to your employees and let them feel empowered to make decisions without having to get approval for most things.

5. Casino Host

Former Employee - Casino Host in Opelousas, LA
    Former Employee - Casino Host in Opelousas, LA

I worked at Boyd Gaming full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I well with others love working with work well under stress ,very focus.

Cons

I woul be able to work any shift but graveyard shift,I have a sick mother that i see ahout a night.

Advice to Management

If u were to hire me in this field you would be making a great decision,I will not let this company.

Jun 22, 2015Company Administrator

Thank you for your review.

We appreciate your feedback and wish you the very best with your family member. We do encourage you to see what other opportunities are available on our

6. Great Company

Former Employee - Digital Marketing Specialist in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Digital Marketing Specialist in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Boyd Gaming (More than a year)

Pros

benefits, work hours, corporate location

Cons

There is really not a lot of bad things working for this company

Jun 22, 2015Company Administrator

We appreciate your review and we're glad to have had you as a team member.

We wish you all the best in your future career endeavors. Thanks again for your feedback.

7. Great coworkers!

Current Employee - Poker Host in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Poker Host in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Boyd Gaming part-time

Pros

All of the employees are friendly and helpful! Great place to work!

Cons

Hiring process is overly cumbersome and multiple trips must be made! It definitely can be streamlined.

Advice to Management

With so many open positions, your HR team needs to do a better job or streamlining the process. It should not take 2-3 weeks to start a job once accepted.

Jun 8, 2015Company Administrator

Thanks for the positive feedback!

8. Agent Airport Ground

Former Employee - Agent Airport Ground in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Agent Airport Ground in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Boyd Gaming part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers. Easy job and great atmosphere. Loved working there. Recommended to anyone who works at night regularly or during the day because the wage won't support you, but it's fun.

Cons

Little pay and not enough hours. This job won't support you, but will give you pocket money. The pay is lower than at McDonald's now.

Advice to Management

Nothing because of what the job is.

We appreciate your feedback.

As you know, we strive to be an employer of choice in our industry. When we fall short of that standard, we want to know about it, so we can work to improve. We will

Corporate yes property no

I worked at Boyd Gaming

Pros

Corporate cares about each property and employees however the property management does not. Great benefits and promote from within.

Cons

Boyd style is not taught at the property level. Property level executives do not follow the essence of Boyd.

Advice to Management

Need to evaluate the property executives and see why they don't continue customer service training and Boyd style. They are worrying about pennies and not promoting the property properly. Customer recognizition and growth is lacking

May 22, 2015Company Administrator

Harsh times.

Current Employee - Casino in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Casino in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Boyd Gaming full-time

Pros

Day to day employees are always great. Really a lot of friendly non salary people who make the job bearable.

Cons

We recently had our Aloha spirit meetings again and like last year they were terrible. Our upper management once again looked like they didn't want to be there. They started off by saying that the top two things that are important to the hourly employees are pay and benefits then they proceeded to say they weren't going to talk about it. Our customer service numbers are down and they proceeded to blame us again. They kept saying we need to do better and they want numbers in the 90's but honestly upper management needs to do better. Their approval rating according to the employee survey we took is below 70%. They said they take it personal and don't understand how the number is so low. They are clueless. Maybe if they stop taking benefits from us and give us decent raises. Cost of living raises per year are 10 cents. They took over a weeks vacation time away across most employees. They eliminate positions and give the workload to other employees and hire no replacements. You get hired for one position and have to do several, even if untrained. They also stated if your working here for money, go somewhere else. They also said their now famous statement that if you don't like working here go somewhere else. That does not instill confidence in the employees. They even during the meeting took selfies with the hr representative. SELFIES. Very unprofessional.
    There is a lot of talk from employees about bringing in the Union since things get worse and worse and upper management clearly has no clue how to treat their workers.
    The medical benefits are so expensive and they make you get a physical and see a "life coach" and follow a schedule they set out for you for a small "discount." We have single employees here paying more than $150 for mediocre insurance twice a month. We've also have had several carriers in the last few years and have to reapply every year to new changes and less benefits.
    They are remodeling the casino this year and many believe hours are going to be cut again. They also stated that they will not fix the massive plumbing problems they have. From pool leaks that leak into the casino area to employee dining room leaks that leak into offices to constant leaks in the hotel rooms. They also have knocked down many employees from full time to on call in some departments. Clearly changes need to be made and our upper management need to be replaced. They lower the morale of the environment and employees every time they speak.

Advice to Management

I think they best said it themselves, "If you don't like working here, go somewhere else." Seems like they need to follow their own advice.

Security

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Boyd Gaming full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

free meals, good team members

Cons

long hours, not appreciated, micro-managed

May 22, 2015Company Administrator