Boyd Gaming

Updated August 9, 2014

2.9

Boyd Gaming CEO and President Keith E. Smith
Keith E. Smith

Pros
  • They also do have a a really good work life balance unlike other gaming companies that have a work work balance (in 4 reviews)

• The company also heavily promotes from within (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Too often a person in an upper management position will have either no casino experience or they are "old school" casino people (in 3 reviews)

• Negative work environment, no recognition, top-heavy, no one seems to really care what the lower level employees feel (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Smart, friendly family owned company that is losing market share due to increasing competition

Current Employee - Supervisor  in  Peoria, IL
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Peoria, IL

Pros

Positive work environment. Friendly employees & customers. Customer oriented focus. Some top management actually cared and listened to the employees. They promote from within. Decent benefits. Free food. Great work schedule.

Cons

The pay was not the best. Small bonuses. The chain of command was a bit disorganized, and there was a lack of communication between departments. I don't think they reached out to understand their customers very well. The gaming Industry lacks avenues for growth, and the market is becoming saturated.

Listen to the customers. Don't just ignore what they have to say, because it conflicts with revenue. Bridges were being burnt with customers all the time, sooner or later, if things don't change or more new customers are not created, there will be no solid ground for the company to stand on.

Aug 11, 2014Company Administrator

Thank you for your honest feedback.

We strive to be an employer of choice. When we fall short of that, we want to know about it. That is why we commit to items such as our team member opinion
    ... More

Paul M. The manager at Eldarodo, and Jokers Wild Is. GOOD AMERICAN!

Pros

Great Nose to Nose Marketing! Great customer service! He the MAN.

Cons

ZIP< NONE Not with this TEAM 110%

Name him CHIEF RUN SO FAST!

Aug 11, 2014Company Administrator

Thank you for the positive feedback! We’re glad to have you as part of the team!

Paul M sounds like a true leader. We appreciate your information.

Thanks again for your review!

Boyd is a "people oriented" organization, with lots of potential for employees

Current Employee - Systems Engineer, IT  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer, IT in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

This company seems to pride itself on employee loyalty, flexibility, and a stress-free worker culture. The balance between personal life and strong work ethic is a priority for upper management. This ethos supports a culture of loyalty at the company.
    The company also heavily promotes from within. Boyd provides opportunities to employees that have the ability to constantly progress without being stymied by politics or nepotism.

Cons

Salary and pay rates lag behind other competitors in the local industry. Employee performance review process does not seem to carry weight with regards to compensation and promotions.

Jul 10, 2014Company Administrator

Thank you for the positive feedback! We’re glad to have you on our team, and we’re thrilled to hear that you’ve had a good experience working with us.

You did mention a few issues of concern

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fun!

Current Employee - Arena Usher
    Current Employee - Arena Usher

Pros

Great people to work alongside with. Pretty good events at the arena.

Cons

Little, if any room for advancement or full time work. Very few hours overall.

Jul 14, 2014Company Administrator

You did mention a few issues of concern . We’d invite you to address these concerns by taking advantage of our Open
    ... More

No longer family style business

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

Decent pay, benefits good, overall hourly staff hard working.

Cons

Used to be family oriented, now just another Corporation, Management needs to be retrained in following policies and procedures, not to just their benefit or a family members.

Management is untrustworthy, open door policy is a joke. You talk in private and everyone knows within a day what was discussed. Hourly and Managerial family members work together, and get promoted, who's watching who?

Jul 14, 2014Company Administrator

Thank you for your honest feedback.

As you know from your time with the Company, we strive to be an employer of choice. When we fall short of that, we want to know about it. That is why we commit

Mostly positive experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  East Peoria, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Peoria, IL

Pros

good pay & benefits, decent training, opportunities to advance if motivated, management seemed responsive to employee input

Cons

It's a casino...the hours can be tough, but I knew that when accepting the position. Most of the cons are very apparent prior to working there....some uniforms are a bit revealing, late hours, working around customers who may be very upset about losing money. I feel there really weren't any surprising cons to this company.

Jun 27, 2014Company Administrator

Thank you for the positive feedback! We’re glad you had a good experience working with us and we wish you all the best in your future endeavors.

Thanks again for your review!

Corporate culture based on family values

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

Benefits are decent for a gaming company. Team members (not management) works hard and overall atmosphere in the office is friendly and collaborative.

Cons

Management sucks. The environment is so political that it becomes toxic and morale declines. Rather than putting egos aside and being collaborative, managers constantly talk about one another.

Advancement and raises should be based on merit.

Jun 30, 2014Company Administrator

Thank you for your honest and frank feedback.

We strive to be an employer of choice in our industry. When we fall short of that standard, we want to know about it, so we can work to improve

It manager

Pros

Just some of the people I work with

Cons

Upper manager often ask employee to do tasks that could affect company and when it backs fires, they don't take responsibility and fired the wrong people

Stop worrying about your bonus and look at how unhappy people are

Jul 29, 2014Company Administrator

We appreciate your honest and frank feedback.

As you know, we strive to be an employer of choice in our industry. When we fall short of that standard, we want to know about it, so we can work to
    ... More

Constantly taking away benefits.

Current Employee - Security Officer  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Security Officer in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

I really enjoy my coworkers and lower level management. They make you feel appreciated if you put in the work. Good communication between team members and management.

Cons

Constantly taking away benefits. Taking away paid time off, can't request extra (unpaid) days off, took away early outs for when it's slow, randomly making new blackout periods for time off, and in my department they just try to make you not want to work here anymore. They are constantly taking away any happiness from employees. Also considered "late" if you clock in when your shift starts. Required to work more than 8 hours and only get paid for 8.

Stop taking away benefits because the morale has fallen off a cliff in recent times.

Jul 2, 2014Company Administrator

We appreciate your honest and frank feedback.

Large Corporation That Feels Like a Family Owned Business

Current Employee - Manager  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Manager in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

The thing that sets Boyd Gaming apart from other gaming companies is its culture. From the time you apply to being hired and through your career, you hear about Boyd Style. The executives are approachable for the most part and like any company there is bureaucracy, but everyone treats you like family. They are one of the few gaming companies that still has service awards and a decent recognition program. Guess that's why so many people stay with the company. They also do have a a really good work life balance unlike other gaming companies that have a work work balance.

Cons

With the recession, the cost of benefits has gone up while raises have been little or non existent. But I can understand that you can't give huge raises if the company isn't making money.

Please think about bringing back some of the benefits such as tuition reimbursement and increasing the 401k match. Also, its time to get real about giving increases. 1% isn't even keeping up with inflation.

Jun 13, 2014Company Administrator

Thanks for the positive feedback! We’re glad to have you on our team, and we’re thrilled to hear that you’ve had a good experience working with us.

You did mention a few issues of concern. We’d
    ... More

Worked for Boyd Gaming? Contribute to the Community!