Boyd Gaming

Updated January 28, 2015
3.2

Boyd Gaming CEO and President Keith E. Smith
Keith E. Smith

Pros
  • They also do have a a really good work life balance unlike other gaming companies that have a work work balance (in 4 reviews)

• The company also heavily promotes from within (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Too often a person in an upper management position will have either no casino experience or they are "old school" casino people (in 3 reviews)

• Negative work environment, no recognition, top-heavy, no one seems to really care what the lower level employees feel (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

A great place to work at.

Current Employee - Cocktail Waitress in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Cocktail Waitress in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Boyd Gaming

Pros

There is a very strong family feeling between other staff and customers. Everyone is very friendly.

Cons

Sometimes certain shifts can be harder than others. Also, I wish I was a full time employee versus on call.

Thank you for the opportunity to be a part of the team/family.

Jan 13, 2015Company Administrator

We appreciate your feedback and we're glad to have you on our team!!!

As you know, we strive to be an employer of choice in our industry. When we fall short of that standard, we want to know about

Excellent Company

I have been working at Boyd Gaming

Pros

Overall a friendly and interesting place to work

Cons

Working hard to expand the company

Jan 13, 2015Company Administrator

Thanks for the positive feedback!

Thanks again for your review!

Great chance to be promoted no matter how long with the company but pay probably isn't worth it.

Current Employee - Information Technology in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Information Technology in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Boyd Gaming

Pros

Working environment is great to work for. Great chance to promote from within.

Cons

Pay scale is not competitive at all and especially if you are promoted internally. Will probably make bottom 10 percent of what the average pay for your job is. Also HR won't take your opinion of pay in to account nor will they attempt to sit down and renegotiate pay unless SR management makes a stand and they won't.

Seriously should sit down and discuss pay or put in place a system where employees can get increases in pay especially for internal employees who have put time in with the company to match market value that is current with other casinos or at least comparable to the average pay of the job you do.

Going downhill

Former Employee - Mid Career in East Peoria, IL
    Former Employee - Mid Career in East Peoria, IL

I worked at Boyd Gaming

Pros

Fun place in central Illinois.

Cons

Some true professionals are true professionals and others are corrupt or have very poor management styles. The core beliefs are not upheld by all of top management. Non-smoking and opening up video games to public venues has taken its toll. A company is only as good as the person/s leading it,,,without their integrity you have no good foundation.

Let conscience, not money or greed be your guide. Do what you know is right in your heart...you'll feel good and it has a positive trickle-down effect!

Fun place to work but doesn't pay well.

I have been working at Boyd Gaming

Pros

The people are really great to work with and it is never a boring job. You can definitely tell Management tries to make up for the lack of pay.

Cons

The pay is very low for the amount of work put in. Very stressful environment at times.

Dealing: My Dream Job

Current Employee - Table Games Dealer in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Table Games Dealer in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Boyd Gaming part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I LOVE the teamwork. Working with Human Resources has been a real pleasure. The supervision staff, especially Lori Sommerness, has been so professional and caring that it has been smooth and easy to learn my new job. The leadership has been superb. I absolutely love my schedule.

Cons

At this point I am part-time and do not share in the benefits of full-time workers. I am looking forward to growing in this company so I may be considered for more hours later. I wish it was a smoke-free environment.

Keep up the good work. I liked everything about getting the job, and appreciate it very much.

Dec 27, 2014Company Administrator

Thanks for the positive feedback! We’re glad to have you on our team, and we’re thrilled to hear that you’ve had a good experience working with us.

Thanks again for your review!

Really love what I am doing in slot marketing!

Current Employee - Slot Marketing in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Slot Marketing in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Boyd Gaming part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Benefits(once I start receiving them) and the team members dinning room.

Cons

Some of the challenges have been getting comfortable with the people that I work with. Some of them not very nice, tattle tales, and don't even show up for work.

A better eye on what is going on in our department.

Dec 22, 2014Company Administrator

We appreciate your feedback and we're glad to have you on our team!!!

... More

First casino job, glad to say BOYD is a great company.

Current Employee - Security Officer in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Security Officer in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Boyd Gaming full-time (less than a year)

Pros

At first I thought "oh a lower scale casino corporation, compared to MGM" man was I wrong. BOYD cares very much about their employees & customers.

I was very well pleased with how much training I received I actually felt great about going into my job title with all the training provided.

Pay is mediocre but what can I expect for entry level, it's competitive.
    Benefits are great too.

They also are in the process of renovating the Gold Coast, which was needed.

I also just received my check a few days early because of Thanksgiving & heard something about a Christmas bonus! Just those few things make me want to stay with BOYD Gaming for the future.

BOYD takes care of everyone.

Cons

Typical casino cons: late hours, smoke, some customers that just want handouts & some supervisors & or managers are just rude.

Only thing I would recommend is listen to your employees, they might have ideas no one has thought of.

The team member questionaire is a great way to get your employees thoughts.

Dec 8, 2014Company Administrator

We're glad that you pointed out the TMOS program

Don't apply

I have been working at Boyd Gaming

Pros

Nothing. You will be promised many things, don't get your hopes up. You'll be lied to, not treated with respect, and they do not pay you what you're worth. Do not apply here.

Cons

Shady shady shady company. Do not apply here. Your boss will not look out for you or help you. Employees are on drugs but human resources turn their head. No body cares about anybody but themselves. One man for himself at this employer.

They are all drug addicts.

Jan 14, 2015Company Administrator

Needless to say, we are extremely concerned about the issues you raised in your review. The only way we can address them, however, is to get more information on exactly what happened.

We ask that
    ... More

A company that has fallen behind the times

Current Employee - Casino in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Casino in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Boyd Gaming full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Use to be the benefits, more so now, the co-workers. Hard to be terminated from your job.

Cons

Business mentality of the 1980's, very little accountability in executive management for poor decisions. Entry level employes treated poorly due to lack of longevity. Same managers in the same job for years causing massive group think. Unwilling to take constructive criticism from employees that would help grow the business, see the useless employee survey as an example. The company is rampant with favoritism and cronyism.

Your salary should be $1 a year until the business turns a profit for 4 straight quarters, remember Lee Iaccoca? You value longevity and loyalty to a fault at the shareholders expense. Eliminate under performers who have thrived for years in a culture of entitlement based on seniority. Get out of the 1980 mentality "its all about gambling" and shift marketing to the development of non-gaming assets.