Boyd Gaming Reviews

Updated October 31, 2014
2.9

Boyd Gaming CEO and President Keith E. Smith
Keith E. Smith

Pros
  • They also do have a a really good work life balance unlike other gaming companies that have a work work balance (in 4 reviews)

• The company also heavily promotes from within (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Too often a person in an upper management position will have either no casino experience or they are "old school" casino people (in 3 reviews)

• Negative work environment, no recognition, top-heavy, no one seems to really care what the lower level employees feel (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

BOYD Gaming is a great company to work for !

Current Employee - Executive Steward in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Executive Steward in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Boyd Gaming full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I must say Boyd gaming values relationships with Team member plus as a very good promotional program!

Cons

Boyd Gaming has a mutitude of challegance you will face on a daily base but with that said it comes with the hosipitality field!

The only thing that i could advise or ask upper managemnet to do is be more proactive Lead by simple!

Conservative Pay for most positions

Current Employee - Executive Secretary in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Executive Secretary in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Boyd Gaming full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Paid holidays at corporate offices

Cons

401(k) match is paltry compared to most gaming companies

Loosen up dollars to pay employees more

Oct 12, 2014Company Administrator

We appreciate your honest and frank feedback.

As you know, we strive to be an employer of choice in our industry. When we fall short of that standard, we want to know about it, so we can work to
    ... More

Abusive, sneaky and corrupt.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Boyd Gaming full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Property is usually clean, they provide employee meals while on shift and have standard PTO accumulation.

Cons

Management is abusive and it almost felt like it was an employee against management war. When I exposed wrongdoing to the corporate office, they launched an investigation & found the allegations against management to be true. Management made life at work very hard and hostile to myself and others involved until we quit or they could fire us. They maliciously marked anyone who left "Non rehireable" (so now we cant ever apply at any other BOYD property ) because we exposed things about management.

Never even did anything against policy.....Terrible company.

Hire managers that are leaders, not ones who abuse power and have t prove "they are in charge"

Oct 30, 2014Company Administrator

Needless to say, we are extremely concerned about the issues you raised in your review. The only way we can address them, however, is to get more information on exactly what happened.

We ask
    ... More

Boyd Gaming is an OK company to work for.

I have been working at Boyd Gaming (less than an year)

Pros

The customers are extremely nice, the casino is well lit, the smoke isn't too noticeable, they promote from within, and have a minimal amount of meetings outside of regular work hours.

Cons

The pay is very low which contributes to high turnover. Management is inconsistent as to how they treat the dealers and supervisors. Also, one of the shift managers really changes their attitude towards dealers and supervisors when customers are winning (this person sweats the money). The company also sent a letter to employees telling us how to vote in the upcoming election which I do not think is appropriate.

Be more consistent towards employees, and consider a higher pay scale to keep the turnover rate down. Also, do not allow employees to gamble at the property they work for. I do not see what good can come from letting your employees gamble at their current property.

Oct 30, 2014Company Administrator

... More

Cage cashier was decent money for easy job.

I worked at Boyd Gaming

Pros

The money is decent, employees are fun.

Cons

This company follows a point system policy.

It would be nice if the insurance was better and cheaper.

Sep 29, 2014Company Administrator

Thank you for your review. Boyd Gaming is committed to operating with the highest ethics, and when we fall short, we want to know about it.

We will pass along both your compliments and your

A steady paycheck.

Current Employee - Table Games Supervisor in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Table Games Supervisor in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Boyd Gaming full-time

Pros

A "paycheck" for life. It would be very difficult to lose a job at Boyd gaming. They have fair medical benefits.

Cons

Amateur management team. Management does not like suggestions or ideas. The company has not kept up with the times and operates like its still 1980. Salaries are sub par. The work culture is very weak. Very few employees take pride in their work. Work loads and pay are very imbalanced.

Sep 19, 2014Company Administrator

... More

I love working here, everyone is helpful and nice.

Current Employee - Specialty Bus Person in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Specialty Bus Person in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Boyd Gaming part-time (less than an year)

Pros

There are a lot of great people here staff is awesome! Enjoy coming everyday to work, I can see myself here for a long time.

Cons

I don't see no cons yet I am still new to the company, all I know is it's great.

Awesome job!

Sep 18, 2014Company Administrator

Thanks for the positive feedback! We’re glad to have you on our team, and we’re thrilled to hear that you’ve had a good experience working with us.

Thanks again for your review.

Amazing, love my job, wish it paid better

I have been working at Boyd Gaming

Pros

The people. The ones I work with and the guests. My job is very enjoyable. Management is great and the opportunity to advice is there

Cons

Pay sucks. At least offer overtime if you can't pay better or cross train something

Sep 18, 2014Company Administrator

Thank you for your honest feedback.

We strive to be an employer of choice. When we fall short of that, we want to know about it. That is why we commit to items such as our team member opinion
    ... More

Awful, very inexperienced management.

Current Employee - Casino in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Casino in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Boyd Gaming full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Steady paycheck. Hourly employees are great.

Cons

I work in a downtown property and management basically blamed us for the awful shortcomings they have. Our VP has become so outdated in his running of our casino that it is failing. He is always golfing and doesn't actually know what goes on in his casino. Shameful. They took a week of vacation away from us per year, they took our pto sellback away, they have more than tripled our cost of medical insurance since it was changed from percs,

But the most worrisome thing of all is that picture frame of managers they put up and all of them are Caucasian. Except the FB director. He's the only African American. They laid off the other African American manager. But you look the employee of the month wall there is the diversity they so claim.

If your heart is really not in it you should move elsewhere. Good employees are being lost because of your inadequacies and severe lack of knowledge or skill.
    Diversity is lost on you. Get better HR representatives because frankly they are a joke. They now refer you to outside companies or materials to deal with your "problem." ALOHA.

Oct 8, 2014Company Administrator

We appreciate your frank and honest feedback.

It is always helpful to get the perspective of a long-time team member. You’ve been with us for a significant amount of time, and we hope your
    ... More

Smart, friendly family owned company that is losing market share due to increasing competition

Current Employee - Supervisor in Peoria, IL
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Peoria, IL

I have been working at Boyd Gaming full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Positive work environment. Friendly employees & customers. Customer oriented focus. Some top management actually cared and listened to the employees. They promote from within. Decent benefits. Free food. Great work schedule.

Cons

The pay was not the best. Small bonuses. The chain of command was a bit disorganized, and there was a lack of communication between departments. I don't think they reached out to understand their customers very well. The gaming Industry lacks avenues for growth, and the market is becoming saturated.

Listen to the customers. Don't just ignore what they have to say, because it conflicts with revenue. Bridges were being burnt with customers all the time, sooner or later, if things don't change or more new customers are not created, there will be no solid ground for the company to stand on.

Aug 11, 2014Company Administrator

Thank you for your honest feedback.