Boyd Gaming

Updated January 28, 2015
3.2

Boyd Gaming CEO and President Keith E. Smith
Keith E. Smith

Pros
  • They also do have a a really good work life balance unlike other gaming companies that have a work work balance (in 4 reviews)

• The company also heavily promotes from within (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Too often a person in an upper management position will have either no casino experience or they are "old school" casino people (in 3 reviews)

• Negative work environment, no recognition, top-heavy, no one seems to really care what the lower level employees feel (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Positive experience!

Current Employee - Designer
    Current Employee - Designer

I have been working at Boyd Gaming full-time (more than a year)

Pros

This is a great company to work for to gain some valuable first hand experience. Great team environment and a great sense of job security. The company strives to provide whatever is necessary for you to fulfill your job functions as effectively as possible.

Cons

No growth plan for employees. virtually no raises and no way to "grow" as you gain better experience. Just stuck. Obnoxious dress code for corporate team members who work in cubicles all day. Salaries could be a lot more competitive, I would not call it a "living" wage...

If they make salaries more competitive and offer regular raises based on performance and delivery then there would probably be less turnover.

Dec 17, 2014Company Administrator

Thanks for the positive feedback!

You did mention a few issues of concern
    ... More

The casino business is fun again!

I have been working at Boyd Gaming

Pros

The rapport between the co-workers.

Cons

The same as any casino: noise, smoke, hours,

Keep it fun for us and we'll keep it fun for the customers.

Dec 1, 2014Company Administrator

We want to encourage you to participate in the

Great

Former Employee - Valet Attendant
    Former Employee - Valet Attendant

I worked at Boyd Gaming

Pros

All..everyone is helpful and nice and friendly

Cons

Pay could be better..but the environment could be better

Nov 20, 2014Company Administrator

Thank you for the positive feedback! We’re glad that you had a good experience working with us. We'll pass along your comments to senior management.

Thanks again for your review.

Great company

I have been working at Boyd Gaming

Pros

Very reasonable company. Easy to talk to upper management. Everyone is friendly.

Cons

It took awhile to go through the hiring process.

Nov 8, 2014Company Administrator

Thanks for the positive feedback! We’re glad to have you on our team, and we’re thrilled to hear that you’ve had a good experience working with us. With the upcoming team member opinion survey we ... More

Boyd is FAMILY.

Former Employee - Table Games Dealer in Tunica, MS
    Former Employee - Table Games Dealer in Tunica, MS

I worked at Boyd Gaming full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Less stressful than other gaming companies. Great co-workers, great management. People respect and speak to each other, even between departments. No one looks down on another. We take care of each other. Always big on training people who want to move up and around in the company. I was always very proud to say I worked for Boyd.

Cons

Typical casino cons: Smoke. Noise. There will always be a couple of people you don't necessarily get along with, but this really was rarely a problem compared to other casinos. Boyd employees really do enjoy a family atmosphere.

Keep it up. The recession hit hard and layoffs were hurtful, tough times. But, you've really scaled back well and focused on your target customer. Business has picked considerably up as a result, and I cannot wait for the day I get to come back home. Here's to further growth in the Tunica community and for all Boyd family!

Nov 12, 2014Company Administrator

Thanks for the positive feedback!

We’re glad that you were a part of our Sam's Town Tunica team and we’re thrilled to hear that you had a good experience working with us.

Thanks again for

Doesn't care about employees

Current Employee - Kitchen Help in Mulvane, KS
    Current Employee - Kitchen Help in Mulvane, KS

I have been working at Boyd Gaming full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Pay is OK benefits good but pricey, OT available in buffet

Cons

No breaks except your 30 minute paid lunch.work every holiday with no extra pay and no chance of getting any of them off to be with family. They do not value their employeesno matter how hard you work. They pick favorites to get promoted.

Promote those who work hard and have good attitudes. Show appreciation for those who work hard for you by paying more for holidays, offering bonuses and giving free food to employees more often. Most of us do not feel appreciated.

Dec 1, 2014Company Administrator

We appreciate your honest and frank feedback.

As you know, we strive to be an employer of choice in our industry. When we fall short of that standard, we want to know about it, so we can work to
    ... More

BOYD Gaming is a great company to work for !

Current Employee - Executive Steward in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Executive Steward in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Boyd Gaming full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I must say Boyd gaming values relationships with Team member plus as a very good promotional program!

Cons

Boyd Gaming has a mutitude of challegance you will face on a daily base but with that said it comes with the hosipitality field!

The only thing that i could advise or ask upper managemnet to do is be more proactive Lead by simple!

Nov 1, 2014Company Administrator

Used to be one the best companies to work for

Current Employee - Casino in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Casino in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Boyd Gaming full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Paid one hour lunch and PTO are the industry standard, other than that there is nothing to be excited about anymore.

Cons

Lately the double standard is the way of life among the management. If for whatever reason you are not up to the certain supervisors "measurement", you are getting a second class employee treatment. There is almost nobody will listen to what you have to say or suggest even if that is something to better the company or to better serve our patrons. There is no growth opportunity. The department does not promote from within, they rather hire someone from the outside even if their person of choice is not a good fit. Also, the "No retaliation policy" is not worth the paper it was written on. Micromanagement every step of the way is the company killer.

Top management should pay much more attention to their faithful and loyal employees, apply higher standards in the process of choosing or hiring middle management and evaluate current bosses based on their management and people skills instead of based on who knows who. Talk to your employees, find out what they have to say about their superiors and maybe one day this company will become the company it used to be a great company to work for.

Nov 24, 2014Company Administrator

... More

Abusive, sneaky and corrupt.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Boyd Gaming full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Property is usually clean, they provide employee meals while on shift and have standard PTO accumulation.

Cons

Management is abusive and it almost felt like it was an employee against management war. When I exposed wrongdoing to the corporate office, they launched an investigation & found the allegations against management to be true. Management made life at work very hard and hostile to myself and others involved until we quit or they could fire us. They maliciously marked anyone who left "Non rehireable" (so now we cant ever apply at any other BOYD property ) because we exposed things about management.

Never even did anything against policy.....Terrible company.

Hire managers that are leaders, not ones who abuse power and have t prove "they are in charge"

Oct 30, 2014Company Administrator

Needless to say, we are extremely concerned about the issues you raised in your review. The only way we can address them, however, is to get more information on exactly what happened.

We ask
    ... More

Boyd Gaming is an OK company to work for.

I have been working at Boyd Gaming (less than a year)

Pros

The customers are extremely nice, the casino is well lit, the smoke isn't too noticeable, they promote from within, and have a minimal amount of meetings outside of regular work hours.

Cons

The pay is very low which contributes to high turnover. Management is inconsistent as to how they treat the dealers and supervisors. Also, one of the shift managers really changes their attitude towards dealers and supervisors when customers are winning (this person sweats the money). The company also sent a letter to employees telling us how to vote in the upcoming election which I do not think is appropriate.

Be more consistent towards employees, and consider a higher pay scale to keep the turnover rate down. Also, do not allow employees to gamble at the property they work for. I do not see what good can come from letting your employees gamble at their current property.

Oct 30, 2014Company Administrator