Boys Town Reviews

1. Fr. Steven Boes

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boys Town, NE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boys Town, NE

I have been working at Boys Town

Pros

Fr. Boes is a strategic thinker and walks in the footsteps of our founder, Father Edward J. Flanagan.

Cons

You could fill your calendar from morning to evening with all the events we have for kids, including their school plays, sports, on Home Campus in the Village of Boys Town. You soon learn although you would love to participate you just can't go to everything they do for the kids.

Advice to Management

Keep up the communication, transparency and accountability!

2. Alright

I worked at Boys Town full-time

Pros

Good benefits, fairly consistent schedule

Cons

Performance reviews were unfairly conducted, no advancement if you disagreed with management on anything, no support from supervisors when dealing with difficult situations.

Advice to Management

It's impossible to do your job correctly and well when the administration does not back you up on procedural things when issues on why you took the actions you did come into question. It is difficult enough to work the particular population of youth without being afraid for your job if a situation could arise and the way you were taught to handle things is not supported by the administration.

3. Treated like a resident

Former Employee - Youth Care Worker in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Youth Care Worker in Omaha, NE

I worked at Boys Town (Less than a year)

Pros

-working with kids
    -two weeks worth of paid training
    -benefits are good.
    -free meals when you are on shift.

Cons

-hours. Hired to work second shift, then constantly put on first shift. Then told that this should be my number one priority.
    -management talks to you just like you are taught to talk to the residents.
    -constantly micromanaged and judge on every move.
    -no breaks during shift.

Advice to Management

Come up with a better way to speak to employees under you. Speaking to them the same way you are speaking to the children, make us feel belittled.

Culture at Boys Town

I have been working at Boys Town full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent morale, staff very mission oriented, staff development outstanding, large enough locally and nationally to have career ladders for staff. The quality of programs are outstanding and the dedication to program research and development keeps the organization on the cutting edge. High levels of staff competency not only serves the mission, but also helps staff succeed within the organization as well as with other orgs if they leave.

Cons

Because the Boys Town culture is so strong, only strong and talented staff from outside have an easy time breaking through. Boys Town is large enough to do things it's own way and needs to collaborate better with others.

Advice to Management

Need to do a better job of marketting what you do to wider audiences locally in Ne and nationally. Continue to work on developing your next generation of leaders. Find better ways to import the strong diversity and well trained staff from affiliate sites to Ne site.

6. No matter the position you have, you are a part of a mission of caring for kids and families.

Current Employee - Youth Care Business/Compliance in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Youth Care Business/Compliance in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Boys Town

Pros

I have worked for this organization for over 30 years. I have seen it expand is services and work force to 11 different locations across the United States. Each location has opportunities for upward mobility. There is even greater opportunities if you are willing to relocate through out your career. The training that you receive to be successful in your job is outstanding.

Cons

Due to working with children and families, not all work is done during the hours of 9-5 Monday through Friday. You will learn life/work balance. The rewards of seeing a child or family make progress and keep the family intact makes the extra effort worth it.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep children and families first and employees a close second.

7. Healing and Hope

I have been working at Boys Town full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Boys Town is effective. Every day youth get better and families stay together due to the work of Boys Town employees. More of a mission than a job, working at Boys Town gives one the sense of accomplishing good every day they go to work. The support from supervisors is tremendous and expected (part of the culture). While the direct care work is demanding, it is at the same time immensely rewarding. The training provided is thorough. The Mission pervades every decision. How do we know we make a difference? WE ASK. Families and youth consistently rate the quality of care they receive very highly. Those who do not truly love and care for hurting children and families should not apply. Those that do, you won't find a better, more professional organization in which to serve.

Cons

Mandates from outside agencies to comply with regulations related to forms and paperwork remove people from doing the better work of helping children and families.

Advice to Management

Continue to be a voice for high quality. Continue to beat back efforts to weaken our services to families and youth and efforts to pull us from the values embraced by Fr. Flanagan.

8. Boys Town is a great employer.

Current Employee - Finance in Boys Town, NE
    Current Employee - Finance in Boys Town, NE

I have been working at Boys Town full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Boys Town helps thousands of children and families across the nation. We have great employees that love helping children. The dedication of the staff is outstanding. Boys Town operations are managed well and are efficient. It is a very family friendly organization.

Cons

The job never seems to be finished as there is always more children that need Boys Town's help.

Advice to Management

My advice to management would be to continue to run Boys Town with the mindset of keeping children first.

9. Boys Town is a remarkable organization to work for

I have been working at Boys Town full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Though helping troubled youth and families can be a challenging task, working for an organization that makes all of its decisions based on the best interest of those kids and families is unbelievably meaningful and rewarding. Boys Town is unique in their dedication to training, consultation, and evaluation so that those working directly with kids and families have the education and support necessary to help them be successful. Boys Town is also a national organization with opportunities for career advancement in its eleven Sites across the country. I couldn't ask for a better employer or more dedicated and supportive co-workers.

Cons

Boys Town sets high standards for quality. Potential employees must understand and embrace the high expectations that accompany any jobs working with Boys Town kids and families.

10. Getting paid to make the world a better place!

I have been working at Boys Town full-time

Pros

Mission is at the heart of everything we do in Youth Care and Health Care. Our Youth Care programs are evidence and research based and have been replicated in a variety of diverse communities across the Country with fantastic outcomes for children and families! Great benefits, opportunities for relocation, good pay, fabulous development opportunities, long, storied organizational history and stable employment.

Cons

Boys Town is a very established, large, and spread out organization making change frequently slow. Employees love Boys Town, so they never leave, limiting upward mobility, especially if you are limited to one location. People who don't love it, leave quickly. It is a very conservative organization where diversity of thinking, experience, culture, etc. is only now starting to be considered a good thing. But, progress is happening.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep kids, families, and patients first! Find the balance between doing what works and doing what we've always done. Listen to and value employees. Learn from other organizations and industries, while maintainiing our values.

11. Mission focused

Current Employee - Program
    Current Employee - Program

I have been working at Boys Town full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Boys Town focuses on developing and enhancing strategies to improve services to children and families. Ongoing efforts to solicit feedback as often as they could, especially from direct consumers to determine what works and what needs to get better is always at the fore front when it comes to quality improvement.

Cons

Funding for programs is a constant challenge. Contracts with state agencies drive work away from the core values by emphasizing compliance with paperwork. Also, as an agency we are behind with regards to technology as the work force becomes increasingly reliant on mobile systems.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on efforts to diversify funding by increasing the effectiveness of Development leaders. Advocate for changes that improve technology systems, which includes seeking expertise outside the organization.

RSS Feed </> Embed