Boys Town Reviews

The Rev. Steven E. Boes

1. In Home Family Visitation Specialist

Former Employee - Home Family Visitation Specialist in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Home Family Visitation Specialist in Omaha, NE

I worked at Boys Town (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing job with great values.

Cons

Pay was not so good at the time.

2. Getting paid to make the world a better place!

I have been working at Boys Town full-time

Pros

Mission is at the heart of everything we do in Youth Care and Health Care. Our Youth Care programs are evidence and research based and have been replicated in a variety of diverse communities across the Country with fantastic outcomes for children and families! Great benefits, opportunities for relocation, good pay, fabulous development opportunities, long, storied organizational history and stable employment.

Cons

Boys Town is a very established, large, and spread out organization making change frequently slow. Employees love Boys Town, so they never leave, limiting upward mobility, especially if you are limited to one location. People who don't love it, leave quickly. It is a very conservative organization where diversity of thinking, experience, culture, etc. is only now starting to be considered a good thing. But, progress is happening.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep kids, families, and patients first! Find the balance between doing what works and doing what we've always done. Listen to and value employees. Learn from other organizations and industries, while maintainiing our values.

3. Mission focused

Current Employee - Program
    Current Employee - Program

I have been working at Boys Town full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Boys Town focuses on developing and enhancing strategies to improve services to children and families. Ongoing efforts to solicit feedback as often as they could, especially from direct consumers to determine what works and what needs to get better is always at the fore front when it comes to quality improvement.

Cons

Funding for programs is a constant challenge. Contracts with state agencies drive work away from the core values by emphasizing compliance with paperwork. Also, as an agency we are behind with regards to technology as the work force becomes increasingly reliant on mobile systems.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on efforts to diversify funding by increasing the effectiveness of Development leaders. Advocate for changes that improve technology systems, which includes seeking expertise outside the organization.

5. Great Organization

Former Employee - Recreation Aide in Boys Town, NE
    Former Employee - Recreation Aide in Boys Town, NE

I worked at Boys Town full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I enjoyed working for this organization and helping the youth succeed in and out of the program.

Cons

It is a non profit organization. While admirable, it can mean that raises and promotions are hard to come by.

Advice to Management

Promotions could be made more available depending on the department.

Working at Boys Town is very demanding, but the rewards are worth it!

Former Employee - Assistant Family Teacher in Boys Town, NE
    Former Employee - Assistant Family Teacher in Boys Town, NE

I worked at Boys Town full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Boys Town as a whole is very focused by it's mission. Almost all of the staff I encountered while working there all wanted to help Children and Families become successful. Boys Town makes sure to support it's employees, especially those working in direct-care positions, with very comprehensive training, 24/7 consultation services, performance feedback and development opportunities. Boys Town promotes from within often, so there are many avenues one can pursue for advancement. Benefits package was very competitive and included very affordable healthcare, paid holidays, sick leave, generous vacation time accural, 401k matching, employee assistance, and more.

Cons

Challenges included learning how to balance career with personal life as your position can require lots of long hours at all hours of the day, sometimes 7 days a week. Although job can be rewarding, it is very challenging. One has to get used to the amount of feedback every staff receives on a regular basis. Some supervisors and/or directors have a lot of great program knowledge, but are not great at working with and developing staff. Lots of required meetings and trainings that can take away a lot of personal time.

Advice to Management

Regularly solicit feedback from direct care staff about quality of supervision and consultation being provided to them. Make sure to provide encouragement and recognition , not just continuous feedback. Stay mission focused; it is the reason most choose to work at Boys Town!

Non-profits often have problems, but this ones better than most.

Current Employee - Assistant Family Teacher
    Current Employee - Assistant Family Teacher

I have been working at Boys Town full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've worked for a half-dozen social service/non-profits and Boys Town has some of the most sincere and genuine staff I've had the pleasure to . For non-profit work their compensation is ample, with matching percentages for retirement plans, good vacation time (which only gets better the longer you work for them), and insurance options. In general, management is very supportive and desires the best for their employees and the communities we serve.

Cons

My major griefs are the frequency of meetings (which often require coming in on days off for shift workers), the initial lack of sick leave, and that the job is both demanding and occasionally tedious (though that would not be different working for any other company). Additionally, while not technically Catholic, a lot of their policies reflect specifically Catholic beliefs (the health insurance doesn't cover birth control).

Advice to Management

I understand how the Catholic roots influence your policies on birth control and homosexuality, but it's archaic and a turn off to many potential employees. Can you really hope to get the best workers if you still practice discrimination?

8. Family Consultant

I have been working at Boys Town full-time

Pros

Boys Town is truly interested in enhancing staff members strengths, and promoting upward mobility. The behavioral model really works with families, and is easy to teach/understand. Our benefits are really good, too.

Cons

The work hours depend greatly on the schedule of the families that you work with. As a Family Consultant, you can plan on working many evenings and a weekend day.

Advice to Management

Keep shining, and invest in year-end bonuses. :)

9. Family Teacher

Pros

Boys Town provides an overall experience helping children and families. Staff are dedicated to putting children's services and needs first. Boys Town also provides you with a lot of information to start doing your job.

Cons

Not much room to move up the company ladder. There is a lot of stress when it comes to being an employee working with youth and families. There are a lot of times that I feel that management was not empathetic to the situation that one was in.

Advice to Management

Be more empathetic to employee's needs. Help Employees with their growth rather than just focusing on outcomes of children.

The most rewarding position I have ever had!

Former Employee - Family Teacher Couple in Boys Town, NE
    Former Employee - Family Teacher Couple in Boys Town, NE

I worked at Boys Town full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It takes a village and your colleagues are there for you 100%.

Cons

This is a 24/7 position.

Advice to Management

They did everything right. They told us it was a 24/7 hour position, and we thought we could work 24/7 but found out that we could not.

11. Boys Town is an amazing place to work! Family friendly, faith based and mission driven are key components.

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Partner in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Partner in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Boys Town full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits; great atmosphere; competitive pay; excellent leadership

Cons

Parking can be tricky during training

RSS Feed </> Embed