Boys Town

Boys Town President & National Executive Director The Rev. Steven E. Boes
The Rev. Steven E. Boes

Culture at Boys Town

I have been working at Boys Town full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent morale, staff very mission oriented, staff development outstanding, large enough locally and nationally to have career ladders for staff. The quality of programs are outstanding and the dedication to program research and development keeps the organization on the cutting edge. High levels of staff competency not only serves the mission, but also helps staff succeed within the organization as well as with other orgs if they leave.

Cons

Because the Boys Town culture is so strong, only strong and talented staff from outside have an easy time breaking through. Boys Town is large enough to do things it's own way and needs to collaborate better with others.

Need to do a better job of marketting what you do to wider audiences locally in Ne and nationally. Continue to work on developing your next generation of leaders. Find better ways to import the strong diversity and well trained staff from affiliate sites to Ne site.

Healing and Hope

I have been working at Boys Town full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Boys Town is effective. Every day youth get better and families stay together due to the work of Boys Town employees. More of a mission than a job, working at Boys Town gives one the sense of accomplishing good every day they go to work. The support from supervisors is tremendous and expected (part of the culture). While the direct care work is demanding, it is at the same time immensely rewarding. The training provided is thorough. The Mission pervades every decision. How do we know we make a difference? WE ASK. Families and youth consistently rate the quality of care they receive very highly. Those who do not truly love and care for hurting children and families should not apply. Those that do, you won't find a better, more professional organization in which to serve.

Cons

Mandates from outside agencies to comply with regulations related to forms and paperwork remove people from doing the better work of helping children and families.

Continue to be a voice for high quality. Continue to beat back efforts to weaken our services to families and youth and efforts to pull us from the values embraced by Fr. Flanagan.

No matter the position you have, you are a part of a mission of caring for kids and families.

Current Employee - Youth Care Business/Compliance in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Youth Care Business/Compliance in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Boys Town

Pros

I have worked for this organization for over 30 years. I have seen it expand is services and work force to 11 different locations across the United States. Each location has opportunities for upward mobility. There is even greater opportunities if you are willing to relocate through out your career. The training that you receive to be successful in your job is outstanding.

Cons

Due to working with children and families, not all work is done during the hours of 9-5 Monday through Friday. You will learn life/work balance. The rewards of seeing a child or family make progress and keep the family intact makes the extra effort worth it.

Continue to keep children and families first and employees a close second.

Boys Town is a great employer.

Current Employee - Finance in Boys Town, NE
    Current Employee - Finance in Boys Town, NE

I have been working at Boys Town full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Boys Town helps thousands of children and families across the nation. We have great employees that love helping children. The dedication of the staff is outstanding. Boys Town operations are managed well and are efficient. It is a very family friendly organization.

Cons

The job never seems to be finished as there is always more children that need Boys Town's help.

My advice to management would be to continue to run Boys Town with the mindset of keeping children first.

Boys Town is a remarkable organization to work for

I have been working at Boys Town full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Though helping troubled youth and families can be a challenging task, working for an organization that makes all of its decisions based on the best interest of those kids and families is unbelievably meaningful and rewarding. Boys Town is unique in their dedication to training, consultation, and evaluation so that those working directly with kids and families have the education and support necessary to help them be successful. Boys Town is also a national organization with opportunities for career advancement in its eleven Sites across the country. I couldn't ask for a better employer or more dedicated and supportive co-workers.

Cons

Boys Town sets high standards for quality. Potential employees must understand and embrace the high expectations that accompany any jobs working with Boys Town kids and families.

Boys Town is a Family

I have been working at Boys Town full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

You must have kids in your heart to be successful at Boys Town as it is the essence of the culture at Boys Town of saving children and healing families. You become part of the Boys Town Family when employed here. There are vast opportunities across the 11 sites in America for employees to grow in their positions.

If you are blessed to work in the Village of Boys Town, Nebraska, your insurance benefits are some of the greatest in Omaha; if you are treated by a Boys Town physician or surgeon at a Boys Town Hospital or Clinic, your co pay and deductible are waived. There is also a Boys Town Pharmacy with a large formulary provided to Boys Town employees (in other words - free prescriptions within the formulary).

Leadership and management keep the staff informed so we can collectively work as a team.

Cons

Some positions' wages are low but leadership is working on bringing wages to scale.

Give credit where credit is due.

Great place to work!

I have been working at Boys Town full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The people here are so easy to work with and create a fun, accepting culture. The focus on children and families gives great satisfaction to know your hard work is going to better America.

Cons

More opportunities to advance career - they need to expand!

Doing a good job - just keep listening to the employees

Fr. Flanagan's dream is alive and well

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boys Town, NE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boys Town, NE

I have been working at Boys Town full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

very mission focused with kids' first emphasis

Cons

many long term employees make moving up hard

keep kids and families first

A love hate relationship

Current Employee - Family Consultant in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Family Consultant in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Boys Town full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Helping families learn parenting skills and become successful. Seeings or talking to families or youth months or years later and seeing how far they've come along.

Cons

This position has a lot of turn over. People want to help others, but don't realize how demanding the job is emotionally and physically. Hours are not typical, but at the same time you do get to make your own schedule. Have to work till 10pm, but don't start working until 2 or 3pm.

Helping Youth and Families is my passion.

Current Employee - Family Consultant in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Family Consultant in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Boys Town full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The work is challenging but very rewarding. Full benefits at hire. Lots of support from supervisors and many opportunities for growth including on-going training, educational scholarships, and educational reimbursement.

Cons

It's hard to keep things balanced some days. We work with kids and their needs don't always occur between 8 and 5. Some days are long, but it's the effort that makes things so rewarding. We get to see the kids and their families change and become better prepared for life outside of Boys Town. Working at Boys Town isn't for everyone. You must learn have a heart for helping others, be able to manage yourself in some stressful situations, and be wiling to put in the long hours which are sometimes required.

Keep growing and never stop looking for all we can do to help those in need.