Boys Town

The Rev. Steven E. Boes

A love hate relationship

Current Employee - Family Consultant in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Family Consultant in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Boys Town full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Helping families learn parenting skills and become successful. Seeings or talking to families or youth months or years later and seeing how far they've come along.

Cons

This position has a lot of turn over. People want to help others, but don't realize how demanding the job is emotionally and physically. Hours are not typical, but at the same time you do get to make your own schedule. Have to work till 10pm, but don't start working until 2 or 3pm.

Helping Youth and Families is my passion.

Current Employee - Family Consultant in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Family Consultant in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Boys Town full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The work is challenging but very rewarding. Full benefits at hire. Lots of support from supervisors and many opportunities for growth including on-going training, educational scholarships, and educational reimbursement.

Cons

It's hard to keep things balanced some days. We work with kids and their needs don't always occur between 8 and 5. Some days are long, but it's the effort that makes things so rewarding. We get to see the kids and their families change and become better prepared for life outside of Boys Town. Working at Boys Town isn't for everyone. You must learn have a heart for helping others, be able to manage yourself in some stressful situations, and be wiling to put in the long hours which are sometimes required.

Keep growing and never stop looking for all we can do to help those in need.

Data Entries, travel business expenses, Mileage, ACH deposit, unclaimed property, purchasing card and past due invoice.

Current Employee - Accounts Payable Specialist in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Accounts Payable Specialist in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Boys Town full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Boys Town has been helping save children and heal families

Cons

manager wasn't go by company policy.

A great foundation for my career!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Ana, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Ana, CA

I have been working at Boys Town full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They are changing the way America cares for their youth, families, and communities beginning with me. They take the time to develop me in my current position. They take the time to ask me if I aspire to become anything else within the agency. They take the time to prepare me to take on higher positions by providing me opportunities to learn about other positions. There is a possibility of moving up within the agency.

Cons

If you are not passionate about helping youth, families and communities you are most likely not going to fit in with the demands of fulfilling the shared mission.

Continue to develop your staff from the bottom up.

Rewarding

I worked at Boys Town

Pros

People are very friendly, supportive upper management staff. great location, it has that homely feel to it. i really felt that i was making a difference in the lives of children served by Boys Town

Cons

kids could be hostile at times but like what we have been told: it's just the behavior.

keep up the good work!

Nice place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Boys Town full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great organization with a mission that is easy to get behind and support. The benefits are good and a lot of talented employees who really support the mission. Lots of opportunities for growth.

Cons

A bit slow to change and move to new technologies or trends. Non-profit salaries can be below median, but benefits really help to balance it out.

Recognize and reward talent a bit more formally.

Use Your Talents to Make a Difference!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boys Town, NE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boys Town, NE

I have been working at Boys Town full-time

Pros

Boys Town is a wonderful organization that is positively impacting the lives of youth and families across the nation each and every day! It is refreshing to work in a positive environment where everyone truly believes in the mission of the organization and is here to make a difference in someone else's life! It's rewarding to be able to use your own gifts and give back to your community!

Cons

Employees at times may not put enough attention on their own personal health and needs because they are so driven by their desire to help others. It is important to continually encourage employees to have appropriate work/life balance. Help them understand this will make them more efficient and effective on the job, so they can continually perform to the high standards expected when delivering top services to our communities.

Continue to explore ways that Boys Town can impact the lives of more youth and families across the nation. Also continue to value your employees and the work they do on a daily basis. Explore the strengths each person can bring to the organization and work to utilize those to the fullest potential.

Making a difference in the lives of youth and families is it's own reward

I have been working at Boys Town full-time

Pros

Working with the kids and seeing the change in them for the better is extremely rewarding. Even in a support position, where you don't work directly with youth or families, all you have to do is go to a home for dinner or attend a function the youth are having and you can see the difference.
    There is training and support for every department. The training for direct care staff is motivating and prepares new employees for their positions.
    Majority of the employees are here for the Mission and it shows.
    Excellent benefits and opportunity for growth & development.

Cons

Being non-profit, the salary ranges tend to be a little lower than for-profit organizations.

Keep recognizing and rewarding top performers in each program/department!

Great company with lots of opportunity for advancement

Former Employee - Youth Care Worker At Emergency Shelter
    Former Employee - Youth Care Worker At Emergency Shelter

I worked at Boys Town

Pros

- Good pay and great benefits
    - Excellent training and continued education
    - They promote from within and offer tuition reimbursement
    - The Boys Town Model really works for a lot of kids and you can see lives transformed
    - 4 day work week

Cons

- Highly stressful work environment (working with teens from very troubled backgrounds)
    - Supervisors do not respect your days off, as they are constantly calling for you to work extra hours
    - Sometimes expected to work extra long shifts (15 hours) without overtime pay. They will "rearrange" hours in order to avoid you going over 40 in a week... even though you did!
    - Required to work holidays
    - You can't get time off unless you find someone to cover your shift because it's a 24/7 facility.

Supervisors need to respect workers' days off and avoid calling them in. They should also offer to take over with the kids every once in awhile so that workers' can get a break. This is a very stressful job and lots of people burn out quickly.

Working at Boys Town is very demanding, but the rewards are worth it!

Former Employee - Assistant Family Teacher in Boys Town, NE
    Former Employee - Assistant Family Teacher in Boys Town, NE

I worked at Boys Town full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Boys Town as a whole is very focused by it's mission. Almost all of the staff I encountered while working there all wanted to help Children and Families become successful. Boys Town makes sure to support it's employees, especially those working in direct-care positions, with very comprehensive training, 24/7 consultation services, performance feedback and development opportunities. Boys Town promotes from within often, so there are many avenues one can pursue for advancement. Benefits package was very competitive and included very affordable healthcare, paid holidays, sick leave, generous vacation time accural, 401k matching, employee assistance, and more.

Cons

Challenges included learning how to balance career with personal life as your position can require lots of long hours at all hours of the day, sometimes 7 days a week. Although job can be rewarding, it is very challenging. One has to get used to the amount of feedback every staff receives on a regular basis. Some supervisors and/or directors have a lot of great program knowledge, but are not great at working with and developing staff. Lots of required meetings and trainings that can take away a lot of personal time.

Regularly solicit feedback from direct care staff about quality of supervision and consultation being provided to them. Make sure to provide encouragement and recognition , not just continuous feedback. Stay mission focused; it is the reason most choose to work at Boys Town!