Boys Town Reviews

Updated July 24, 2014

3.6

Boys Town President & National Executive Director The Rev. Steven E. Boes
The Rev. Steven E. Boes

Helping Youth and Families is my passion.

Current Employee - Family Consultant  in  Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Family Consultant in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Boys Town full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The work is challenging but very rewarding. Full benefits at hire. Lots of support from supervisors and many opportunities for growth including on-going training, educational scholarships, and educational reimbursement.

Cons

It's hard to keep things balanced some days. We work with kids and their needs don't always occur between 8 and 5. Some days are long, but it's the effort that makes things so rewarding. We get to see the kids and their families change and become better prepared for life outside of Boys Town. Working at Boys Town isn't for everyone. You must learn have a heart for helping others, be able to manage yourself in some stressful situations, and be wiling to put in the long hours which are sometimes required.

Keep growing and never stop looking for all we can do to help those in need.

Data Entries, travel business expenses, Mileage, ACH deposit, unclaimed property, purchasing card and past due invoice.

Current Employee - Accounts Payable Specialist  in  Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Accounts Payable Specialist in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Boys Town full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Boys Town has been helping save children and heal families

Cons

manager wasn't go by company policy.

A great foundation for my career!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Santa Ana, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Ana, CA

I have been working at Boys Town full-time for more than a year

Pros

They are changing the way America cares for their youth, families, and communities beginning with me. They take the time to develop me in my current position. They take the time to ask me if I aspire to become anything else within the agency. They take the time to prepare me to take on higher positions by providing me opportunities to learn about other positions. There is a possibility of moving up within the agency.

Cons

If you are not passionate about helping youth, families and communities you are most likely not going to fit in with the demands of fulfilling the shared mission.

Continue to develop your staff from the bottom up.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Rewarding

I worked at Boys Town

Pros

People are very friendly, supportive upper management staff. great location, it has that homely feel to it. i really felt that i was making a difference in the lives of children served by Boys Town

Cons

kids could be hostile at times but like what we have been told: it's just the behavior.

keep up the good work!

Nice place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Boys Town full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great organization with a mission that is easy to get behind and support. The benefits are good and a lot of talented employees who really support the mission. Lots of opportunities for growth.

Cons

A bit slow to change and move to new technologies or trends. Non-profit salaries can be below median, but benefits really help to balance it out.

Recognize and reward talent a bit more formally.

Use Your Talents to Make a Difference!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boys Town, NE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boys Town, NE

I have been working at Boys Town full-time

Pros

Boys Town is a wonderful organization that is positively impacting the lives of youth and families across the nation each and every day! It is refreshing to work in a positive environment where everyone truly believes in the mission of the organization and is here to make a difference in someone else's life! It's rewarding to be able to use your own gifts and give back to your community!

Cons

Employees at times may not put enough attention on their own personal health and needs because they are so driven by their desire to help others. It is important to continually encourage employees to have appropriate work/life balance. Help them understand this will make them more efficient and effective on the job, so they can continually perform to the high standards expected when delivering top services to our communities.

Continue to explore ways that Boys Town can impact the lives of more youth and families across the nation. Also continue to value your employees and the work they do on a daily basis. Explore the strengths each person can bring to the organization and work to utilize those to the fullest potential.

Making a difference in the lives of youth and families is it's own reward

I have been working at Boys Town full-time

Pros

Working with the kids and seeing the change in them for the better is extremely rewarding. Even in a support position, where you don't work directly with youth or families, all you have to do is go to a home for dinner or attend a function the youth are having and you can see the difference.
    There is training and support for every department. The training for direct care staff is motivating and prepares new employees for their positions.
    Majority of the employees are here for the Mission and it shows.
    Excellent benefits and opportunity for growth & development.

Cons

Being non-profit, the salary ranges tend to be a little lower than for-profit organizations.

Keep recognizing and rewarding top performers in each program/department!

Great company with lots of opportunity for advancement

Former Employee - Youth Care Worker At Emergency Shelter
    Former Employee - Youth Care Worker At Emergency Shelter

I worked at Boys Town

Pros

- Good pay and great benefits
    - Excellent training and continued education
    - They promote from within and offer tuition reimbursement
    - The Boys Town Model really works for a lot of kids and you can see lives transformed
    - 4 day work week

Cons

- Highly stressful work environment (working with teens from very troubled backgrounds)
    - Supervisors do not respect your days off, as they are constantly calling for you to work extra hours
    - Sometimes expected to work extra long shifts (15 hours) without overtime pay. They will "rearrange" hours in order to avoid you going over 40 in a week... even though you did!
    - Required to work holidays
    - You can't get time off unless you find someone to cover your shift because it's a 24/7 facility.

Supervisors need to respect workers' days off and avoid calling them in. They should also offer to take over with the kids every once in awhile so that workers' can get a break. This is a very stressful job and lots of people burn out quickly.

Non-profits often have problems, but this ones better than most.

Current Employee - Assistant Family Teacher
    Current Employee - Assistant Family Teacher

I have been working at Boys Town full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've worked for a half-dozen social service/non-profits and Boys Town has some of the most sincere and genuine staff I've had the pleasure to . For non-profit work their compensation is ample, with matching percentages for retirement plans, good vacation time (which only gets better the longer you work for them), and insurance options.

In general, management is very supportive and desires the best for their employees and the communities we serve.

Cons

My major griefs are the frequency of meetings (which often require coming in on days off for shift workers), the initial lack of sick leave, and that the job is both demanding and occasionally tedious (though that would not be different working for any other company).

Additionally, while not technically Catholic, a lot of their policies reflect specifically Catholic beliefs (the health insurance doesn't cover birth control).

I understand how the Catholic roots influence your policies on birth control and homosexuality, but it's archaic and a turn off to many potential employees. Can you really hope to get the best workers if you still practice discrimination?

Family Consultant

I have been working at Boys Town full-time

Pros

Boys Town is truly interested in enhancing staff members strengths, and promoting upward mobility. The behavioral model really works with families, and is easy to teach/understand. Our benefits are really good, too.

Cons

The work hours depend greatly on the schedule of the families that you work with. As a Family Consultant, you can plan on working many evenings and a weekend day.

Keep shining, and invest in year-end bonuses. :)

Worked for Boys Town? Contribute to the Community!