Boys Town

Boys Town Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Boys Town President & National Executive Director The Rev. Steven E. Boes

The Rev. Steven E. Boes

Helping Youth and Families is my passion.

Family Consultant (Current Employee)
    Omaha, NE

ProsThe work is challenging but very rewarding. Full benefits at hire. Lots of support from supervisors and many opportunities for growth including on-going training, educational scholarships, and educational reimbursement.

ConsIt's hard to keep things balanced some days. We work with kids and their needs don't always occur between 8 and 5. Some days are long, but it's the effort that makes things so rewarding. We get to see the kids and their families change and become better prepared for life outside of Boys Town. Working at Boys Town isn't for everyone. You must learn have a heart for helping others, be able to manage yourself in some stressful situations, and be wiling to put in the long hours which are sometimes required.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep growing and never stop looking for all we can do to help those in need.

Data Entries, travel business expenses, Mileage, ACH deposit, unclaimed property, purchasing card and past due invoice.

Accounts Payable Specialist (Current Employee)
    Omaha, NE

ProsBoys Town has been helping save children and heal families

Consmanager wasn't go by company policy.

A great foundation for my career!

Santa Ana, CA

ProsThey are changing the way America cares for their youth, families, and communities beginning with me. They take the time to develop me in my current position. They take the time to ask me if I aspire to become anything else within the agency. They take the time to prepare me to take on higher positions by providing me opportunities to learn about other positions. There is a possibility of moving up within the agency.

ConsIf you are not passionate about helping youth, families and communities you are most likely not going to fit in with the demands of fulfilling the shared mission.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to develop your staff from the bottom up.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Rewarding

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPeople are very friendly, supportive upper management staff. great location, it has that homely feel to it. i really felt that i was making a difference in the lives of children served by Boys Town

Conskids could be hostile at times but like what we have been told: it's just the behavior.

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up the good work!

Nice place to work

Omaha, NE

ProsGreat organization with a mission that is easy to get behind and support. The benefits are good and a lot of talented employees who really support the mission. Lots of opportunities for growth.

ConsA bit slow to change and move to new technologies or trends. Non-profit salaries can be below median, but benefits really help to balance it out.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize and reward talent a bit more formally.

Use Your Talents to Make a Difference!

Boys Town, NE

ProsBoys Town is a wonderful organization that is positively impacting the lives of youth and families across the nation each and every day! It is refreshing to work in a positive environment where everyone truly believes in the mission of the organization and is here to make a difference in someone else's life! It's rewarding to be able to use your own gifts and give back to your community!

ConsEmployees at times may not put enough attention on their own personal health and needs because they are so driven by their desire to help others. It is important to continually encourage employees to have appropriate work/life balance. Help them understand this will make them more efficient and effective on the job, so they can continually perform to the high standards expected when delivering top services to our communities.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to explore ways that Boys Town can impact the lives of more youth and families across the nation. Also continue to value your employees and the work they do on a daily basis. Explore the strengths each person can bring to the organization and work to utilize those to the fullest potential.

Making a difference in the lives of youth and families is it's own reward

ProsWorking with the kids and seeing the change in them for the better is extremely rewarding. Even in a support position, where you don't work directly with youth or families, all you have to do is go to a home for dinner or attend a function the youth are having and you can see the difference.
    There is training and support for every department. The training for direct care staff is motivating and prepares new employees for their positions.
    Majority of the employees are here for the Mission and it shows.
    Excellent benefits and opportunity for growth & development.

ConsBeing non-profit, the salary ranges tend to be a little lower than for-profit organizations.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep recognizing and rewarding top performers in each program/department!

Great company with lots of opportunity for advancement

Youth Care Worker At Emergency Shelter (Former Employee)

Pros- Good pay and great benefits
    - Excellent training and continued education
    - They promote from within and offer tuition reimbursement
    - The Boys Town Model really works for a lot of kids and you can see lives transformed
    - 4 day work week

Cons- Highly stressful work environment (working with teens from very troubled backgrounds)
    - Supervisors do not respect your days off, as they are constantly calling for you to work extra hours
    - Sometimes expected to work extra long shifts (15 hours) without overtime pay. They will "rearrange" hours in order to avoid you going over 40 in a week... even though you did!
    - Required to work holidays
    - You can't get time off unless you find someone to cover your shift because it's a 24/7 facility.

Advice to Senior ManagementSupervisors need to respect workers' days off and avoid calling them in. They should also offer to take over with the kids every once in awhile so that workers' can get a break. This is a very stressful job and lots of people burn out quickly.

Family Consultant

ProsBoys Town is truly interested in enhancing staff members strengths, and promoting upward mobility. The behavioral model really works with families, and is easy to teach/understand. Our benefits are really good, too.

ConsThe work hours depend greatly on the schedule of the families that you work with. As a Family Consultant, you can plan on working many evenings and a weekend day.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep shining, and invest in year-end bonuses. :)

Family Teacher

ProsBoys Town provides an overall experience helping children and families. Staff are dedicated to putting children's services and needs first. Boys Town also provides you with a lot of information to start doing your job.

ConsNot much room to move up the company ladder. There is a lot of stress when it comes to being an employee working with youth and families. There are a lot of times that I feel that management was not empathetic to the situation that one was in.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more empathetic to employee's needs. Help Employees with their growth rather than just focusing on outcomes of children.

Worked for Boys Town? Contribute to the Community!

Boys Town Videos

Boys Town – Why Work for Us?

Boys Town has been a leader in the care and treatment of children and families since its founding in 1917 by Father Edward J. Flanagan. Through Boys Town's Integrated Continuum of Care, we provide a range of… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Boys Town reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Boys Town CEO The Rev. Steven E. Boes. All 28 reviews posted anonymously by Boys Town employees.