Boys Town

Boys Town Reviews

Updated Mar 29, 2014

Boys Town President & National Executive Director The Rev. Steven E. Boes

The Rev. Steven E. Boes

......salaries at a charity organization

I have been working at Boys Town

Pros...you do and have always helped children...

Cons.......you should have more full time and less part-time employees.....and pay them all a wage above poverty level....

Advice to Senior Management........management to top executives make far too much money for a non-profit...

Management needs a change

I have been working at Boys Town

ProsTouching the lives of the youth, coworkers, and good learning experience. Benefits right off the start. Orientation was very thorough.

ConsPay, little opportunity for growth, management is rigid and encouraged punitive teaching. Experience very dependent on home you were placed in.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat the low-man with more respect. We teach these kids social skills that much of the management lack themselves. Punitive teaching is encouraged by many administrators. Don't have a heart for the kids cuz your leaders will make you feel like you're too soft if you do. They make it all about the numbers and don't care how much you really impact the youth's behavior. They would rather all staff were robots. Pay it's awful for the stress involved. At least make some sort of incentive to stay and then you wouldn't have such high turn-over.

Humility needs to start at the top

I have been working at Boys Town full-time for more than 3 years

ProsBenefits, helping families and children in need, working to fulfill Father Flanagan's legacy, the opportunity to work with like-minded people, rewarding, ability to see benefits of your work.

ConsThe structure at Boys Town is very rigid and does not allow for career development. I have witnessed employees who did not meet the qualifications of a position get promoted based on the fact they were a good friend of someone in senior management. There is hardly any accountability for managers and they (the ones I have been in contact with) take full advantage of this. As another review mentioned, I have also seen supervisors and directors become extremely defensive when an issue is brought up (instead of being open to talking about it and being solution-focused). In my time here, it seems as though the management takes the easy way out and tries to cover up problems instead of fixing them.

Advice to Senior ManagementHumility and accountability needs to start at the top. Focus on the kids instead of the "business" of Boys Town.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Father Flanagan

Youth Care Worker (Former Employee)
Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Boys Town full-time for more than a year

ProsI enjoyed my boss. Had great relationships with youth.

ConsNot traditional corporate culture. Everything is based on friends rather than your actual qualifications. No breaks during 10hr shifts. Work duties are unrealistic and always understaffed. Working with kids with severe behavioral and mental heath issues.

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport and Provide incentives for employees to stay motivated. HIre enough staff to handle worker to child ratio so that all the work load isnt placed on one or two staff, when their should actually be 4 staff working.

If you can manage stress with extending a helping hand this is your Organization

Assistant Family Teacher (Former Employee)
Washington, DC

I worked at Boys Town full-time for more than 5 years

ProsBenefits; Helping Youth Children and Families.

ConsStressful, Work-Life Balance, Can't help everyone in the Program.

Advice to Senior ManagementLISTEN TO YOUR STAFF….

Overall not bad

Behavioral Health Technician (Former Employee)
Omaha, NE

I worked at Boys Town full-time for less than a year

ProsThe company really does a great job of introducing the company culture and developing their employees from the moment they arrive. I have never been through a more thorough orientation, training, and onboarding experience. Also, the staff I worked with

ConsThe pay for many positions is quite horrible. The level of input and influence that entry level employees have with treatment was also frustrating. Technicians spend more time with youth in IRTC and STGH than any professional. However, we were not asked to provide recommendations or information beyond generic case notes. Tech positions are a turn and burn position and as a result I was never known as anything but "Staff" from the educators, therapists, and Sr. Leaders. The pay was poor, but not having a name was degrading.

Growth is also a concern here. There is not a clear career path to move up in the organization. Tech I, II, and III were the best you could hope for.

Lastly, you have a great model. However, there is more than one milieu to consult and implement. One size does not fit all. Kids come in the door and adapt to Boys Town. Unfortunately, they are not always given the skills they need to survive in an environment that is outside of Boys Town.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease opportunities to promote from within, utilize the resources you have available within, listen to and get to know your rank and file employees. Also, open your minds to a variety of treatment plans. So many kids are trained to only be successful within Boys Town and that is just not realistic.

Boys Town has given me the opportunity to make a difference in people's lives.

In- Home Family Service Consultant (Current Employee)
Omaha, NE

I have been working at Boys Town full-time for less than a year

ProsThe organization truly helps families and children in many different levels by providing them with the strategies and tools they need to achieve social, emotional and physical well-being.

ConsSalaries tend to be low. Hours on the job can drastically exceed the compensation.

Advice to Senior ManagementFix the disparity between work and compensation.

My experience was par.

Family Teacher (Current Employee)

I have been working at Boys Town full-time for more than 10 years

ProsLoved working for an organization who cares about the well being and future of at risk youth. enjoyed professional trainings and opportunity to move and grow within the company.

Conssome very unprofessional people work for boys town.
supervisors to not hold all workers to same expectations.

Advice to Senior Managementnot be afraid to release managers/superviosrs who display unethical and unprofessional behavior

Saving Children, Healing Families

Assistant Family Teacher (Current Employee)

I have been working at Boys Town full-time

ProsBoys Town does a lot of good for the at-risk youth of America. Working at Boys Town is extremely rewarding and can be A LOT of fun (especially when the kids are having positive behaviors). You get the chance to share experiences with the kids that they have never had the chance to experience before (ex: Christmas, family vacations, playing on athletic team, etc.). Boys Town offers good benefits and an inviting work environment. It is amazing to see the transformation that the youth at Boys Town make and how big of impact you can have on their life.

ConsBoys Town seems to solely promote based on time with the company (not skill or ability). At times management seems to overlook the workers who are not engaged and/or not following the Boys Town Values/Ethics. Due to tough work hours and the nature of the job it is hard to balance work and a personal life.

Working with and developing the future youth of America into successful citizens was a satisfying experience.

Youth Care Worker (Former Employee)

I worked at Boys Town

ProsThe chance to change the lives of Americas youth for the better.
Working with other individuals who are like minded.
Seeing the success in youth that have left the program and knowing you had a part in that transformation.

ConsNo respect from the youth. Some extreme examples are yelling, throwing of objects, swearing, in your face spitting marathons.

Organization wise, it is my opinion that the focus is now primarily about money and less about the youth of America.

Administration/general lack of support

Advice to Senior ManagementPut more of the focus on the youth and staff that are on the front line. They are the cornerstone and the real reason behind Boys Towns success.

Worked for Boys Town? Contribute to the Community!

Boys Town Videos

Boys Town – Why Work for Us?

Boys Town has been a leader in the care and treatment of children and families since its founding in 1917 by Father Edward J. Flanagan. Through Boys Town's Integrated Continuum of Care, we provide a range of… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Boys Town reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Boys Town CEO The Rev. Steven E. Boes. All 23 reviews posted anonymously by Boys Town employees.