Boys & Girls Clubs

Boys & Girls Clubs Reviews

Updated Apr 4, 2014

Boys & Girls Clubs President Jim Clark

Jim Clark

Pros:
  • "I would recommend this job and company for anyone who has a passion for making a difference"
    in 13 reviews
  • "working with kids is very rewarding"
    in 11 reviews
Cons:
  • "Like any non-profit, I think people tend to work too hard and stay too late"
    in 12 reviews
  • "Most likely the part-time role will be insufficient to be sole source of paying bills"
    in 11 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Overall a pretty good place to work.

Summer Camp Counselor (Current Employee)
Rehoboth, MA

I have been working at Boys & Girls Clubs full-time for more than 3 years

ProsYou work goes to a good cause.
It is very easy to develop strong relationships with other employees.
The work is very rewarding

ConsThey are pretty cheap. They find any way they can to pay their employees the least amount. Having said that, it's not uncommon for this to be the case with non-profits

Advice to Senior ManagementMake your employees feel more appreciated for all the work that they do

Great Futures for Economically Disadvantaged Youth

Education Director (Current Employee)
Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Boys & Girls Clubs full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFantastic programming that is focused on the wellbeing of members. Building relationships with members, families and the community. Working as part of a team to change kids' lives.

ConsWorking for "numbers" to appease grant requirements. Apathetic part-time staff (who aren't paid enough). Poor benefits. Never enough money. Can be incredibly stressful.

Great to give back to the community and kids.

I have been working at Boys & Girls Clubs

ProsAs a former Club Kid, it was great to find a job while in college that could be flexible around my schedule. While working in the games room, I found that this job is much more than shooting hoops with the youth, its about a lasting impact. After speaking with my Program Director at the time about career opportunities, I quickly changed my major and pursued a Club Career. I was able to move from Teen Coordinator, to Program Director, to running my own Club now as a Unit/Club Director. It really has been an amazing journey to give back to the organization that kept me out of trouble as a kid, and taught me valuable skills and lessons.

I would recommend this job and company for anyone who has a passion for making a difference.

ConsI share with my family and friends that this is a job of passion. Few get "rich" by working with the Clubs. I see CPOs and Executive Directors making up to $90,000 a year, but realistically those jobs are few and far between with most in my opinion being filled by non-Club people. They usually have a finance or business background, which is great to have, but for the the Club-level staff there is a income, and postion ceiling for sure.

Good internship experience

Summer Intern (Former Employee)
Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Boys & Girls Clubs as an intern for less than a year

ProsIt was a good opportunity to gain some hands on experience working with students. You will be helping the regular teachers, and also get the chance to design your own elective classes. Hours are good. Every employee loves the students and really wants to help them.

ConsThe management is a little bit inefficient, and some of the classes are not that helpful. Interns are not really contributing their ideas.

Rewarding working with the parents and participants.

Executive Director (Former Employee)
Johnson City, TN

I worked at Boys & Girls Clubs full-time for more than 5 years

ProsBuilding the future, available to improve the life of someone, program development, social changes on all economical levels.

Consvolunteer boards who will not do the work required to make the organization a success

Advice to Senior ManagementSeek outside funding sources and reduce United Way Funding.

Good for the soul, bad for the pocket

Do Not Wish to Reveal (Current Employee)
Washington, DC

I have been working at Boys & Girls Clubs full-time for more than 3 years

ProsYou get to be a positive influence on kids.
You stay young at heart. Good training for parents and parents to be.
There is no dollar value to match a child's appreciation of how you have helped him/her.
Main organization in Atlanta is fundamentally sound and programs are in place.

ConsLow, non-commensurate pay.
Slim chances of promotion. Old-timers rule and discriminate.
Poor leadership and upper management. Incompetents tolerated.
Short-sighted vision. Management culling and padding numbers only for show to board and funders. Organization does not recognize quality of long term work by club staff with kids.
Fast turn-over of staff due to low pay, and worse, intrigues.
Poor accountability with finances.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Depends what school you work with.

Youth Development Specialist (Current Employee)
Riverside, CA

I have been working at Boys & Girls Clubs part-time for more than a year

ProsIt is a great experience working with the kids. Its a very rewarding job.

ConsYou have to be on your feet for hours at a time. I had a manager actually tell me I could not sit down at any point on my shift as Staff with the children.. Which made it difficult to connect with the kids.

Many of the Site Coordinators have favorites, and will make you do the "dirty work" of the job. I even had a manager make a mess and make me clean it up.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeeds to be more regulation on the Site Coordinators, who sometimes are ineffective managers because of their inexperience in the managerial position.

Mission and goals are lost on senior management.

I have been working at Boys & Girls Clubs

ProsIn theory this should be one of the most rewarding jobs there is. Knowing that I am helping children who need it the most and who would otherwise be playing on the streets is what keep me going. The Anaheim business community is very supportive and long-standing residents are wonderful and passionate to work with.

ConsManagement is the common thread for employee/community/donor dissatisfaction. Not having any experience or education in the business world really holds the organization back. There is a lack on infrastructure in place that is needed for this organization to reach the capacity that I should have. The potential for greatness at the organization is being held back because of a lack of vision and planning.

Advice to Senior ManagementA shift in management would restore staff and community faith in the organization.

Chandler, AZ Boys & Girls Club not the most welcoming place.

Employee (Former Employee)
Chandler, AZ

I worked at Boys & Girls Clubs part-time for more than a year

ProsThe hours are pretty flexible and the dress is very relaxed

ConsEmployees are hostile toward newcomers and the overall environment is not welcoming.

Advice to Senior ManagementMany employees are pretty unprofessional and there is no consistency in how everyone is treated. The boss needs to focus on keeping practices consistent instead of picking favorites and letting the favorite few get away with whatever they want.

Great opportunity to learn programming strategies and work with great kids!

After School Program Staff (Current Employee)

I have been working at Boys & Girls Clubs part-time for more than a year

ProsThe kids are great and the management truly cares about creating quality programs for their kids. They try to treat their employees well and are very flexible. You get major National Holidays off with some pay.

ConsVery little pay, little room for mobility within the company, part-time and split shift hours

Worked for Boys & Girls Clubs? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Boys & Girls Clubs reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Boys & Girls Clubs CEO Jim Clark. All 168 reviews posted anonymously by Boys & Girls Clubs employees.