Boys & Girls Clubs

Boys & Girls Clubs Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Boys & Girls Clubs President Jim Clark

Jim Clark

Pros
  • I would recommend this job and company for anyone who has a passion for making a difference(in 14 reviews)

• working with kids is very rewarding(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Like any non-profit, I think people tend to work too hard and stay too late(in 15 reviews)

• Most likely the part-time role will be insufficient to be sole source of paying bills(in 12 reviews)

Amazing mission and wonderful culture!

Rather Not Disclose (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsA defined direction and mission. We have a cohesive team that strives to work closely with the clubs as well as our Board. We don't 'chase the money' and seek funding that pushes us outside of our organization's mission. Wonderful coworkers and a strong sense of changing lives. Senior staff is hands-on and extremely dedicated. By far my favorite job.

ConsLocated where the 'need' is, our offices are not in the safest neighborhood.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs in nearly every organization, more positive verbal feedback is always appreciated.

Excellent organization providing an invaluable resource to our future generation

Program Specialist (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsOur children are in need of the village of old.... where everyone knew your name and cared about each other as if they were cherished family members

ConsExpectations are high and monetary compensation is not. Most likely the part-time role will be insufficient to be sole source of paying bills......

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep encouraging and motivating...without the passion and efforts of the part-timers on your frontline where would many of our kids be ?

Very positive fulfilling experience working for the Boys & Girls Club.

Activities Coordinator (Current Employee) Escondido, CA

ProsBeing able to make a difference in a young person's life.

ConsThe pay is rather low.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It was an amazing experience working with youth of all ages.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBeing able to bond with kids and teaching them good living habits.

ConsNot knowing the backgrounds of troubled youth, not knowing how to deal with the emotions presented.

I loved working here during college, and it's been an incredible organization to return to after leaving a stressful job

After School Program Staff (Current Employee) Lakewood, WA

ProsIt's an awesome experience, mentoring teens and having fun with young kids. I get to play all day, and that can't be beat.

ConsI'm limited hours-wise, it can be tough to implement structure and organization, and my authority is questioned on a daily basis.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf there are demonstrated needs for additional hours, and there always are, please don't cap us. We can implement so many incredible improvements, but need to be treated like the professionals we're being asked to be.

My experience at the Boys and Girls Club was fulfilling.

Program Director (Former Employee) Utica, NY

ProsGreat schedule, fun work environment, worked with great people. Many of the children we worked with had problems at home, if you could make their day a little bit better than you accomplished something. Made some good friends with the people I worked with.

ConsRoom for advancement was not there. I had management experience that others did not and was passed over for promotions.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not pay upper management so much. Invest funds into your programs instead of senior management.

Held masters-level position at Club for 5.5 years

Social Worker (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsBeing able to be part of the lives of kids and families is amazing. You are able to watch kids grow for multiple years and become a natural extension of a youth's support system. Opportunities to create innovative programs is unequaled in the non profit youth sector. Great brand.

ConsPay is below the market scale for education and experience. Opportunities for advancement are not good. Too many financial resources are spent on administrators and development staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove retention strategies for front line staff.

Awesome organization for kids, maybe not for adults

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAbility to give back to the community
    Great opportunity to work with kids; learning how to mentor

ConsNo cohesive training technique
    No support for upward mobility
    Most salaries are top-heavy

Advice to Senior ManagementOne of the best ways to invest in the kids is to invest in the adults working with the kids. Providing opportunities and training for those who want to stay within the company and move up.

I have worked her for 11 yrs.I enjoy working with children.

Academic Mentor (Current Employee)

ProsI have the opportunity to help enrich kids lives so that they may become more productive citizens as they continue to grow.

ConsWe should be closing at 6pm.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter salaries for seasoned employees.

Amazing

Summer Intern (Former Employee) Tempe, AZ

ProsFriendly people, close bond with the kids

ConsNot enough employees compared to the number of kids

Advice to Senior ManagementHigher one more staff per branch...It'll make a big difference.

Worked for Boys & Girls Clubs? Contribute to the Community!