Boys & Girls Clubs

Boys & Girls Clubs Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

Boys & Girls Clubs President Jim Clark

Jim Clark

Pros
  • I would recommend this job and company for anyone who has a passion for making a difference (in 14 reviews)

• working with kids is very rewarding (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Like any non-profit, I think people tend to work too hard and stay too late (in 15 reviews)

• Most likely the part-time role will be insufficient to be sole source of paying bills (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Good internship experience

Summer Intern (Former Employee) Menlo Park, CA

ProsIt was a good opportunity to gain some hands on experience working with students. You will be helping the regular teachers, and also get the chance to design your own elective classes. Hours are good. Every employee loves the students and really wants to help them.

ConsThe management is a little bit inefficient, and some of the classes are not that helpful. Interns are not really contributing their ideas.

Great opportunity to learn programming strategies and work with great kids!

After School Program Staff (Current Employee)

ProsThe kids are great and the management truly cares about creating quality programs for their kids. They try to treat their employees well and are very flexible. You get major National Holidays off with some pay.

ConsVery little pay, little room for mobility within the company, part-time and split shift hours

Feels good to make a difference

Program Leader (Former Employee) Vancouver, WA

ProsGreat mission for an organization. Rewarding helping members grow as young adults. Very flexible for college students.

ConsDraining job. Sometimes it can be a struggle to show up to work everyday ready to go.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Part time staff for 6 years

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe environment is really laid back and the club I worked out was very diverse. The athletic director at my branch was one of the best people I've ever worked with

ConsNew management was a bit of an issue my last year at this job, and some of the part time staff are treated with a bias for an unknown reason.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you have a problem with the staff, talk to them directly.

Total Lack of Support

Daycare Teacher (Former Employee) Timberville, VA

ProsAbout the only pro is the luke-warm feeling that you have done something positive in the life of a child. Even then, it's more of a consolation prize. Staying within licensing rules was a priority and was regularly achieved with minimal faults being recognized.

ConsThere was a distinct lack of support from the management and almost a "setting you up to fail" system where it was impossible to succeed. I clearly recall several days where I was given my quota of children and expected to keep them all in line with the rules while still achieving objectives and having 0 support from any other staff. I was then held responsible when multiple fights broke out between children who were known to cause such issues and I was eventually let go for being a poor performer.

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport, support, support. This is an industry where it is impossible to pay the trench workers what they deserve but that is no excuse for not providing them with the support they need.

Good Mission

Manager (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsBenefits and work life balance

ConsPolitics and no employee loyalty by employer

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Loved the kids, but felt staff could've been more active.

Staff (Former Employee) Hartford, CT

Prosworking with kids is very rewarding.

Consbeing the only staff member reprimanding the kids.

Advice to Senior Managementmake sure the employees actually care about the kids and not just a paycheck.

too much oversight

Staff (Current Employee) Garden Grove, CA

Prosnice to work with kids. staff members are nice.

Conspay too low. clock out procedures are strict. very little upward mobility.

Advice to Senior Managementprovide more training

Great experience. I would highly recommend working for the local Boys & Girls Club.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe Boys & Girls Club is wonderful place to begin as your first job. As a person that grew up in the Boys & Girls Club, being able to help children much like yourself is a wonderful experience.

ConsLong hours. Sometimes it gets a little hectic as most organizations do that help hundreds of kids on a daily basis.

Just not good

ProsIt's nice to help out kids.

ConsNot enough resources.
    Do not take care of their own.

Worked for Boys & Girls Clubs? Contribute to the Community!