Bracewell & Giuliani

3.2

Mark C. Evans

Marketing Summer Intern

I have been working at Bracewell & Giuliani

Pros

I loved working here. Everything seemed important and it was a very classy environment. I loved the views from the building and that everyone was always working on highly important projects.

Cons

I didn't get to do more as an intern.

Shark Tank

Former Employee - Partner in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Partner in Houston, TX

I worked at Bracewell & Giuliani part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Honestly, Bracewell is a real second tier firm. In both reputation and true quality, there are at least a dozen Houston offices that are better. Still, the name still carries some weight in the energy business; f you can't get hired by a better firm, spending a few years here may help you move on to an in house job with a compay in that sector.

Cons

In my experience, the focus was relentlessly on increasing revenue--by any means necessary. The firm was very aggressive about conflict issues and I have concerns about the firm's overall ethics. When lateral attorneys came in, it was common for the firm to try to get between the new lawyers and the clients they brought in; this makes sense when you realize how many laterals leave in less than five years. "Harvesting" their clients is quite common.

Try to reward cooperation and punish predatory actions. Also, reduce the "cult of personality" attached to leadership (e.g., in litigation, lawyers are divided into two groups, each of which is named after the partner who heads it).

It's a tail looking for a body and a brain.

I have been working at Bracewell & Giuliani full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It's got a good central location in a nice building.

Cons

No respect. No consistency. No communication.

Talk to your employees like they are adults. When you ask for feedback, listen.

Great proving ground for entry-level admins

Former Employee - Administration Assistant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Administration Assistant in Washington, DC

I worked at Bracewell & Giuliani full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

DC office had an excellent admin team at the time; good communication, good training opportunities, for the most part not demanding outside the 9 to 5.

Cons

By and large, no room for growth outside of HQ in Houston.

Paralegal

Former Employee - Paralegal in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Paralegal in New York, NY

I worked at Bracewell & Giuliani full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The New York office, which is a satellite office, is still small enough where you feel like you matter - that your not just a number.

Cons

Lack of communication between New York management and support staff - never really know what is happening with the firm; double standard re: staff and attorneys.

Work on your communication skills with support staff.

Decent place to work.

Current Employee - Staff in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Staff in Houston, TX

I have been working at Bracewell & Giuliani full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The environment is pretty flexible. Pretty good benefits. Nice break rooms. Your peers are fun to work with and the culture is not bad.

Cons

Management is pretty old school. The morale is pretty flat. No need for innovation. Management, wants people to say yes, not come up with new ideas of any kind. You will do fine here if you just want to work without advancement.

Good work environment, friendly, helpful people.

Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Houston, TX

I worked at Bracewell & Giuliani full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I was fortunate to work with professionals; everyone went above and beyond. The firm provided continued training on their software programs.

Cons

I didn't encounter any challenges in my department.

Management seemed to forget that the support staff are just as important as the attorneys. I would like to suggest that Management think about what would happen if there were no administrative assistants on which to rely.

Associate

I have been working at Bracewell & Giuliani

Pros

Great culture and benefits. Big firm with a small firm feel. Not a closed door place and lots of cooperation among associates.

Cons

As with any law firm, you are always on call for the clients - this includes holidays and vacations. Some partners are better than others about trying to respect your time off, but at the end of the day, the client's needs are paramount.

Keep up the good work and get some more diversity in the management committee!

Good learning experience for legal secretary/admin positions

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant (Fka "Legal Secretaries") in Houston, TX

I worked at Bracewell & Giuliani full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Many resources (eg on-site fax/copy center, IT help desk/dept, court runners, mail room); professional environment; firm keeps up with technology and offers excellent in-house ongoing training; a lot of staff has been there for many years; opportunities arose occasionally to transfer to other areas of law; all time off categorized as PTO (much better than vacation, sick time, personal time, etc.); ideal location in DT; paid parking or monthly stipend for park-n-ride; and competitive benefits and benefits dept. had periodic seminars with guest speakers (eg physicians, nutritionists, etc.) related to better health, etc.

Cons

The bonus program was rearranged and there really wasn't any clear criteria provided to ensure an individual would receive their entire bonus. I don't mean to sound ungrateful, as several other large law firms apparently weren't able to give out bonuses several years in a row; it's just that in this economy, every penny counts, and if there's a chance a full bonus won't be realized, then for darn sake - make available clearer critera. Raises were miniscule - definitely did not keep up with cost of living. Definite distinction between attorneys and staff - definite distinction.

Don't have a firm meeting saying it's been a banner year for the firm, the firm is doing great, business is good, yadda, yadda, yadda, then cut bonuses in half and give out miniscule raises every year. Another bone of contention - the constant mantra from managing partner(s) to staff: "We couldn't do it without, you; you're the backbone of this firm; we are a family....." is just that - words; not backed up with any action - namely keeping hard-working, talented, legal secretaries at the firm with more competitive salaries and a better process for ensuring ones who really deserve their full bonus, get one. I worked with staff who worked efficiently, productively, conscientiously, took pride in their work, cared about the firm and followed all the rules, alongside individuals who were lazy, not team players, surfed the net constantly, knew how to "work the system" and were out of there 15 min early every day and yet - guess who got their full bonus! Definitely not a fair system at all. The process now is not working and needs to change.

Wonderful Experience

I worked at Bracewell & Giuliani full-time

Pros

Excellent culture, a great group of people at all levels of employment.

Cons

None. A very good place to work.