Bracket

www.bracketglobal.com

Bracket Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014
Bracket – San Francisco – “Office atmosphere”

Catherine Spear

Pros
  • work from home policy (looks like management will remove this as well)(in 4 reviews)

• People are nice to work with, and working culture is good and casual dress code(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance is not there and your expected to work 24-7 with salaries that are below market(in 7 reviews)

• R&D launches new products without consulting the end users, namely project managers and developers(in 5 reviews)

Lacking morale and leadership - Great co-workers and benefits

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Wayne, PA

ProsThe benefits are great. Health, dental, and vision insurance are good and inexpensive. The 401k w/ company match is better than what I have seen at other companies, as is the vesting for the company match. The best thing about working at Bracket is the co-workers. I honestly would have started looking for a different job months ago if it wasn't for the people in the trenches with me. Other pros are the free sodas, casual dress code, summer hours, and ability to telework.

ConsMorale is low. Good employees were fired in February due to required cutbacks. The leadership team did a poor job of handling the situation. Employees were kept in the dark regarding who was fired, we had to figure it out by piecing together information from other co-workers. Once leadership addressed the situation it came across as rehearsed and fake. They say they are going to work on improving morale and communication but, to date, most things they have discussed have not been implemented. Shortly after the employees were fired we started to notice that Directors and Project Managers were being promoted. No announcement was made, we just started to see titles in email signatures change. It was difficult to stomach that the company had enough money to promote and provide salary increases to most of the upper management team but had to make significant staffing cutbacks. They changed the promotion schedule from Quarterly to "as-needed". HR sent an email communication making it sound like employees could be promoted at any time based on hard work and merit. Since the change, they have only promoted a handful of people and the promotions are mostly tenure based and not based on merit. It's a slap in the face to the employees who bust their butts every day and aren't rewarded for their hard work. It should be no surprise that people are leaving!
    Employees are also fearful another round of layoffs are coming. Leadership says one thing and does another so it is difficult to believe anything they say. Many teams are swamped with work because they let too many employees go in February. They are now having to hire new employees to fill the positions that were eliminated just a few months ago.
    There are clicks within the Project Managers and Directors. It makes people who aren't part of the popular group feel like they are going to be looked over because they aren't one of the "cool kids". Many PM's and most Directors are out of touch with the day to day activities of their employees. If all the PA's and PS's quit they wouldn't know how to function.
    A lot of time is spent on training for PA's and PS's but the training is mostly on how to do their current job. They should be training on what they need to know to do their managers job.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees! Stop telling us one thing and doing another. From reading the other posts on this site it seems like everyone has the same frustrations. People are quitting left and right, don't you see why?
    Your employees are not small children, we can handle the truth regardless if it is good or bad. Please pull your heads out of the sand and see how frustrated your employees are! Many people feel overworked, under paid, and under appreciated. We are smarter than you think and we talk to each other.

Reduction in force

Project Specialist (Former Employee) Wayne, PA

ProsFree soda machine flexible schedule

ConsMany employees were let go and the environment drastically changed

Advice to Senior ManagementHonesty

“Run by a clique of kids mentality”

Software Developer (Former Employee) Wayne, PA

ProsNone, I wish I could find one thing they are good at except maybe hiring process which may fool you to think they are good.

ConsManagement,
    Work-Work balance : there is no life work balance at all, they overwhelm you with all kinds of crap from day one and they make you responsible for their delay from day one, and they ask you to work over-weekend and after work from home from the first week..
    No software practices, no management rules or software rules or conventions are ever respected, and because they know nothing about these practices and development at all, you see them micromanaging you for tiny details.

You can write articles about everything they do and how badly they do it either in industry or how they treat their employees...
    I never expected such a culture in this country.

The best review I found here was “Run by a clique that enforces a glass ceiling”, Read it , it is very true.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe ashamed of all these reviews that actually are still hiding so much of your faults and lameness.
    Take an action
    Get yourself Real Project Managers
    Get yourself a handful of Team Leads and Architects who know what software is.
    Fire all the crapy phony monkeys surrounding you.

Or

Close your business and sell vegetables.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Employees treated like garbage

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Wayne, PA

ProsSome nice people but few stick around for very long. They are good at recruiting and misrepresenting how wonderful an opportunity it is to work for them. They will take advantage of you from day one.

ConsSome of the weakest management you'll find around. Many managers have had no formal training or capacity to learn. Clearly a company on its way down.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop treating your employees so badly. Happy employees will work harder and want success for the company. Morale is nonexistent.

Ignore the Debbie Downers

Project Specialist (Current Employee) Wayne, PA

ProsTruly great people. People who really care about their job. Friends who are there for you. A team.

Interesting customers. Opportunity to gain experience. Good career over time.

Casual dress. Work from home.

ConsCompany has been through a lot of change. A loud minority is complaining. They act like everyone is upset. Its not true. Many people really love working at Bracket.

Advice to Senior ManagementIgnore the Debbie Downers. Lots of us are working hard, and will continue to do so. We are all in.

not a bad place to work but can be stressful due to resourcing issues

Project Manager (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGood benefits, nice people, good work/life balance

Consfair amount of stress due to limited resources. Very hard timelines to keep and no room for slippage causes stress for everyone.

Advice to Senior Managementhire more people to do the work needed and pay more to compete with other high tech companies who are paying higher salaries so we can keep our folks happy

Worst company ignore the review stating "ignore the Debby downers" they are full of it

Current Employee (Current Employee) Wayne, PA

ProsNone! Literally none! WFH can be taken away at any time by your manager yet they will always take theirs! So don't be fooled to think this is a pro.

ConsWell first off the review stating to ignore the Debby downers , is definitely PM or higher, so please disregard them.
    Obviously they are the minority, not those actually speaking the truth about how poorly ran this company is. I will reiterate what everyone else says mid level and higher managers are grossly over paid for what they do. They have little to no management skills . If it weren't for project specialist and assistants the projects would not run. They have very little
    Knowledge about each project. The reason why they say the company isn't bad is obvious, high pay for no work .

Insane core hours that are way outdated.
    No career growth
    No professional development
    No work life balance
    They will give you a lower title but have you do the work of the mid level managers. Why? Because they can. They pay you a lower rate make you do the work for them and your title will hinder your chances of getting a better job.

There are some great PMs though I'd say 10%, The rest are incompetent!
    Directors and PMs are in the own clique your are replaceable and do not care about how many people are quitting.
    When addressed they state we will do an employee survey.. Oh geeee thanks! Look on here for your company survey.

Advice please please don't come. Everyone is leaving, its horrible!

Advice to Senior ManagementFire majority of your PMS! Your specialists and assistants are definitely more knowledgeable and are the reason you have the clients that you do!
    And come on with the salaries for the lower level employees it's a disgrace and you should be ashamed of all these reviews! Make changes! Number 1 remove the CEO! Bring in one that cares more about their employees !

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Most unprofessional atmosphere I've ever seen

Anonymous (Former Employee) Wayne, PA

ProsI was included in the first round of lay offs while they still had money to pay severance.

ConsManagement is a clique that takes care of themselves. Encourage bullying and gossiping and discourage hard workers, innovation and a job well done.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice to job seekers: don't work here, you will hate your life
    Management: fire yourselves, you're incompetent and have no idea how to do your jobs
    Current employees: find another job before they don't have enough money to pay you severance during the next round of layoffs

Competitive benefit.

Project Spercialist (Current Employee) Wayne, PA

ProsBenefit starts from day 1 of hire.

ConsToo much politics in office. Work-life balance

Little enlightenment on 21st century business practices

Senior Project Specialist (Current Employee) Wayne, PA

ProsIf you enjoy not having any freedom and being told what to do repetitively and down to the most unnecessary detail then you might enjoy working here.

ConsIndividual autonomy is not respected. The company culture is one of control and micromanagement. Here is a list that only scratches the surface:

Must wear formal clothing everyday despite clients rarely visiting. Strict work hours are in effect with exceptions for medical visits or childcare being rejected routinely.

You are also expected to work overtime to complete tasks of those who have quit on your team without any overtime pay or guarantee of bonus.

Must log what you do at work every hour and turn into supervisor as weekly time sheet. If you turn in a time sheet with 39.90 hours they will hold a meeting with you to go over your schedule and see how you can become more "productive". They will use these meetings to critique everything you do including nonprofessional assessments of your personality and looks.

Whether or not you take a lunch break you are expected to come to work an hour early everyday to account for lunch time.

Some teams are solely responsible for photocopying papers all day, everyday....company calls this "scale management" to make it seem less mindless. Demoralizing for people who have college, masters, or doctoral degrees fulfilling what amounts to an entry level Kinko's job. The kicker is that they're also probably making less per hour than their counterpart at Kinko's due to the perpetual under-staffing and expectations that you stay until you finish whatever your supervisor has told you to do.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou don't know what you are doing and given this companies track record you won't ever learn from your mistakes.

Worked for Bracket? Contribute to the Community!