Bradley-Morris

Updated November 7, 2014
Updated November 7, 2014
3.4

Sandra Morris

Great entry-level sales opportunity with a unique corporate culture.

I have been working at Bradley-Morris full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

"Unlimited commissions", open desk - as long as you make their metrics. They basically let you run your own business. Travel to some cool areas. Some decent people - military focused so the camaraderie is great.

Cons

They are trying to corporatize the company - which is really destroying the espirit de corps. There isn't a training program - some hodgepodge groups of how this and this works, but nothing that helps you learn how to sell the product. The product is the candidate but also this intangible need that random customers need. (Military veterans and their intangible skillsets) If you have no experience with selling veterans then this is the worst job in the world for you.
    Income wise - you will have a draw vs commission structure - which sounds great, but you can't base your finances around it and good luck getting a mortgage on said structure. That 3k every month can rack up real quick- especially due to the long-sales cycle. Your money only comes in when the company receives a check from another company. Oh by the way, that company that is supposed to pay a 20K check for an "electrician" - they don't have to pay. BMI has absolutely no recourse against said companies - just hopefully it will happen.
    Unlimited commissions happen: If you find the right company, the right person, the right time(bulk need or specialty need), the right location(candidates won't go to North Dakota or Iowa if they don't have too), and finally you have to convince the company to come to a conference (to pay money for logistics to come to a hiring conference). The most difficult type of sale out there.
    The management is great but guess what you will never ever have an opportunity in this company to move up. They have their favorites ( candidate recruiters move up in the system but sales people are always sales people.)
    FInally, your weekends at least two weekends out of the month will be in different areas - which means you may go 14 - 21 days straight with working.
    There is very little lead generation so good luck farming through old accounts and trying to find new ones. It's an extremely difficult position and requires a certain type of fortitude and also a dual, stable income.
    The people are cool but they will knife you in the back anytime - specifically if you are farming through old accounts though its incredibly difficult to find a Tier-1 company or even multiple Tier-2 before you have to pay back draw.
    Finally, most Fortune 500 companies are on track with military programs - which makes it incredibly difficult to get them to pay lots of money on an unknown individual with attributes that they like but with no industry experience - Good luck.,

Better benefits. 1k for a family is ridiculous. I know most of the employees are retired vets but good gracious you have awful plans.
    Better training - invest in your people instead of tossing them away after four months. These relationships take time to groom - so interview and invest more in your people.
    Open up more opportunities in the company - feeding candidate recruiters into leadership positions keeps your company stagnant.
    Become more company driven - candidates are worshipped - clients are the ones that keep the lights on.

Wealth Redistribution

Current Employee - Candiate Recruiter
    Current Employee - Candiate Recruiter

I have been working at Bradley-Morris full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Set hours, consistent schedule, sometimes do fun office outings

Cons

Cons

"Bradley Morris has no problem at all reducing or cutting peoples pay checks that is of course if you wear YOGA PANTS in the offices"
    "Recently they announced another pay cut for people in order to accommodate an individual they demoted due to being OFFICE POISON...
    *Everyone is still in the military trying to relive their glory days, or re-write them
    *Management is incredibly selfish, deceptive, and not worried about the best interest of their employees

Start hiring people who are energy givers instead of energy takers...

Eye opening, valuable exposure to the civilian workforce.

Current Employee - Candidate Recruiter in Chesapeake, VA
    Current Employee - Candidate Recruiter in Chesapeake, VA

I have been working at Bradley-Morris full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Great working hours, time off, vacation, and a "let's go play sports" mentality make this organization something special in an industry where lots of companies are making a shift to a more corporate environment.
    -The commission structure is a live by the sword, die by the sword policy, but for those who have a solid understanding of their jobs and put in the effort and sheer repetitive practice, a sustainable living is always within reach. There are many folks working here that will retire well before the national average, although I'm not sure anyone will ever be "rich" per se without a dual income.
    -Leadership has adopted a style of treating subordinates like the concerned, empathetic military commanders you always wished you served under. They are all very intelligent people who listen to good ideas, and while no company can respond to every employee request, no reasonable input will go unheard. The managers genuinely seem to care about everyone's personal and financial well being, more so than you might find in your average corporate sales environment.
    -The locations of our offices are ideal to tap into military talent, making our conferences and office visits productive and easy to coordinate. Having direct access to the world's largest Navy base makes their Norfolk office particularly well positioned for success. It's like they say, "location, location, location..."

Cons

-This company has tripled its size in the last 3 years and has not created a managerial architecture that can effectively focus the efforts of its employees across the incredibly broad spectrum of performance capabilities present in each of its branches. If this organization had a more hands on tiered leadership structure it would be able to train its people more quickly and effectively, monitor and support their performance, and ultimately hold its employees accountable to the standards that it relies upon to generate revenue. This is a STRONG point of emphasis from the CEO level on down, things are changing, but the growing pains in this regard have been significant.

-Too many people are on commission here. Locking someone into a repeatable commission structure is a great way to guarantee the status quo...the high risk of trying new ideas often times dilutes the reward for leadership to divert from a well established formula.

-There is very little marketing or external presence from this company, although this is a well known issue within the organization. The focus is almost entirely on candidate production, with client generation falling to clever Account Reps to source and qualify potential customers. We are the largest military hiring firm in the country, but we do very little to make ourselves unique or different in our industry despite having several large successful competitors to contend with.

-The Candidate Recruiters and the Account Reps don't always speak the same language and this causes conflict at times. In order to sell a veteran, you almost have to be one, but many Account Reps are not and try to learn through osmosis.

You have an absolute glut of talented people that have all pushed the "I Believe" button, train them and use them more effectively. If your teams are not performing at the level that you need to support the growth you desire, then prune them or invest in the tools for them to succeed. There are people working for you with tons of enthusiasm for helping transitioning military, both veterans and civilians alike, but they are laboring under a stale business model that has not adapted to massive changes in the recruiting industry that are undermining placement services like Bradley-Morris.

Increase the product line offerings your sales force can use to break clients. If each sales rep that works for this organization could lead the conversation with the full product lineup instead of having to pass business to someone else when their product offerings cease to overlap with client needs, we would have more companies talking to BMI and CJ on the phone on any given day.

Hypocrisy at its finest

I have been working at Bradley-Morris (more than an year)

Pros

Very casual office environment allows you to wear gym clothes to work. The actual work is rewarding helping former service members find successful careers.

Cons

Ridiculous turn over and retention rate for employees. Management doesn't acknowledge talent, and some of the people hired there are insane (which is ironic, considering we are a RECRUITING FIRM!). Human resources is a joke and nonexistent so if you have a problem, too bad. No vertical growth available. High levels of drinking encouraged in office, but management doesnt seem to mind.

Get in tune with your employees...improve overall communication amongst each other and especially the different offices.

Moderate-Risk, High Reward Sales with a Purpose

Former Employee - Account Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at Bradley-Morris full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great Culture - work/life ratio is great. If you enjoyed playing HS sports because of the commeraderie and giving each other a hard time, this is a good cultural fit. If you didn't play HS sports, stop reading. This isn't the job for you.
    Sense of purpose - finding jobs for vets
    Compensation - 2nd year+ ARs make 100K at a bare minimum. The best make 200K-250K.
    No dress code
    Diversity is on the rise in the Austin office
    Company trip - This year almost every employee that had been with the company for over 9 months attended a vacation to the Bahamas.
    Live in Austin with time and money to enjoy it

Cons

Little upward mobility - you can make more money, but there are very few opportunities for leadership positions.
    First year compensation - 60K is probably about average; the best make 80K.
    High Turnover - Here's my honest take on this: You either have it or you don't. Why does the young AR quit after 7 months due to lack of success when the 2 year AR next to him/her is making 150K? He/She didn't exhibit the right combination of internal skills and hard work. There is no way for BMI, even after 3-5 interviews, to determine if a new hire will work hard enough and have the right personality for success here. It's unpredictable. BMI doesn't want high turnover, and this isn't a knock to anyone who didn't succeed. Those who quit will be perfectly fine in a different function at a different company.
    Benefits package is weak - but you should have a dollar or two left over from the 150K on your W-2

Maintain the culture - Be prepared to leverage the military downsizing - Find ways to take market share - Find ways to differentiate yourself in the market (we look the same as Orion and Lucas to an outsider)

Low-Risk, High-Reward Sales Environment with a Purpose

Former Employee - Account Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at Bradley-Morris full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Sense of purpose - Helping companies understand the value of military talent. Also helping vets gain employment that is typically far better than what they would be able to access on their own.
    High compensation - ARs that simply do their job make 100K during their second year. The best make 200K+ with some having peak years at 250K.
    Great Culture - The harder you work, the more money you make. Therefore, if you want a day off, take it. Office outings during the week to restaurants, Top Golf, or Putt-Putt. If you enjoyed playing High School sports because of the camaraderie and giving each other a hard time, this is a great cultural fit. If you didn't play a HS sport, stop reading. This isn't the job for you.
    No Dress Code
    The win's feel really good. I made 20K in my last month on the job.
    Outstanding Leadership - I can speak only to the COO and the Austin operations managers. They're caring, dedicated, honest, and competent. I will miss working for them.
    Company Trip - Minimal performance standards to qualify. Basically, anyone who had been with the company for more than 9 months was able to attend.
    Diversity in the Austin office is on the rise. This is an environment where all are welcome.
    Live in Austin and have time to enjoy it.

Cons

High Turnover - Here's my honest opinion on this issue: You either have it or you don't. It's impossible for BMI hiring managers, even after 3-5 interviews, to tell you if you will be successful or not in this job. This is the reason for the high turnover. Those who quit within a year (when 2nd-year ARs next to them are making 150K+) simply did not have the personal skills to be successful. It's not the BMI's fault for giving someone an opportunity, and it's not BMI's intent to have high turnover. I'm also not knocking the value of anyone who didn't succeed as a BMI AR. This is simply not the job where they will be most successful.
    Career Advancement - There's very little upward mobility in terms of leadership positions. However, there is "unlimited" upward mobility in compensation.
    There is some "luck" involved - (but there's a direct relationship between hard work and luck)
    First year Compensation - Mediocre first year ARs make about 60K; the best make about 80K.
    Benefits package is weak - But you should have a dollar or two left over from the 150K on your W-2.

Maintain the culture - Fight for partnerships that will take market share - Find ways to leverage the upcoming military downsizing - Find ways to be clearly different from Lucas or Orion; we all look the same to an outsider

Fantastic place to work!

Current Employee - Account Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at Bradley-Morris full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Entrepreneurial environment for those that are self motivated to make a great career. Work atmosphere is fun and competitive. They have the highest commission rate in the business. I would rather have a higher percentage of the money I bring in than a mediocre base salary and a gold star.

Cons

It take a few months to get ramped up. Once you break through, it is great.

They do a great job of not micromanaging on a daily basis. I can go to them with anything and know they will take care of me.

My first 6 months at Bradley-Morris

Current Employee - Account Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at Bradley-Morris full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Every man wakes up in the morning wanting an arena to compete in and eventually become a champion. That's why many guys end up in flag football, fantasy, or bowling leagues. When I started at Bradley-Morris, I immediately felt that this was the perfect competitive arena for me. I played D1 Football and I'm very used to the philosophy that you can work hard and write yourself into the starting line-up. On the other hand, you can also choose to slack off, have a lot of "feel good phone time" and then get upset when you're not making a lot of money. Many of the senior account reps have bent over backwards (at no benefit to them) to help me succeed, and I love that I can take a guy to lunch who makes $200k+ and pick his brain...I don't know too many companies where that's an option.

If you don't like a highly competitive environment, you won't like working here. If you want a job where you know exactly what you're going to make each month, you won't like working here.

It's also worth mentioning that after 6 months of working with some of the sharpest military veterans on the planet and several Fortune 500 companies that I've broken as new clients- both the companies and candidates know Bradley-Morris is the best in the military staffing industry. It's a good feeling working for the best.

Bradley-Morris is the personification of "work hard, play hard". It's a great family to join.

Cons

Benefits package could use some improvements.

Please improve the benefits package for employees.

Best culture ever

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kennesaw, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kennesaw, GA

I have been working at Bradley-Morris full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This is a team environment. People will bend over backwards to help you succeed. Lots of money out there. Talent + effort = success. Every time.

Cons

The culture isn't for everyone. If you didn't enjoy the culture of varsity level sports in high school, then you probably won't enjoy this one.

N/A

EXTREMELY limited career potential; Very routine and mundane work environment

Current Employee - Account Representative in Kennesaw, GA

I have been working at Bradley-Morris full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Helping military veterans find jobs
    no dress code - can arrive to work in t-shirt and basketball shorts
    potentially could earn a high level of commissions dollars - may take up to 6 months to see money rolling in however
    little to no mico-management

Cons

VERY HIGH TURNOVER RATE. I've been with the company for almost two years and have seen GREAT, QUALITY people leave who were just fed up.

Bradley-Morris isn't the place for someone who is vibrant and looking for an exciting career in staffing and recruiting. This is a dead end environment - no growth opportunity. This works for some of course, but for those career minded individuals, I would suggest looking elsewhere OR plan to stick around only up to a year.

Non-competitive base salary and benefits: It's a 100% commission / draw structure, meaning - you do have some monthly pay, however, if you don't make up that money on your next commissions check, they will take money out of your check. There are opportunity to make money with commissions structure, depending on how high of a fee you charge a client, however, sales people ONLY get paid if the hiring company pays Bradley-Morris. Very hard to plan for bills. For what you receive, it's not worth the hard work - there are other placement firms that pay a more competitive base salary with good benefits. Also, if one of your placements quits or gets fired within 90 days, you have to pay back the company the commissions dollars you earned from that placement. BE VERY WARNED! During my interview they kept pushing that most make $100k their first year! Some have...don't get me wrong, however...being realistic...MOST HAVE NOT!

Poor work-life balance: Branch Managers try to keep you there all night, making it your obligation to stay until 8 or 9 pm if you haven't closed a deal THAT DAY - very high pressure sales environment.

Management is uninvolved - no support pass training - expects everyone to operate like they did in the military. I left the military for a reason - not to have someone breathing down my throat in the civilian world

Management can be unprofessional: drinking and getting drunk AT WORK is acceptable! This is an unfiltered, anything goes environment - they don't care about the feelings or beliefs of others. This may work for some, but for someone with any level of personal morals and standards, Bradley-Morris won't be the organization that shares those same values.

No support or team-like environment. You'd be surprised how much military MEN gossip about eachother!

NOT A DIVERSE COMPANY TO WORK FOR - they claim that they are #1 with diversity placements, which may be true, however, internally, there is NO DIVERSITY!

I am actively seeking new employment!

Know how to keep quality people - too many have come and gone. Sales people work too hard for this to be a 100% commission environment; stop allowing your management team to be unprofessional. If you expect people to stay until 10:00 at night, then provide incentives.