Brady

Updated January 28, 2015
2.6

Brady President, CEO & Director J. Michael Nauman
J. Michael Nauman

Pros
  • Direct management are great, working for you and helping a good work/life balance (in 10 reviews)

• The pay is not bad and it is a very relaxed atmosphere with some good People to work with (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • They had a major layoff a couple years back (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work!

I worked at Brady

Pros

I have been promoted 2 times in 2 years at Brady. It's place that rewards people for hard work and dedication.

Cons

Nothing is perfect and neither is Brady. The important thing is that leadership cares and is working hard to make improvements everyday.

Leadership is currently making tough choices that are long over-due. Keep up the hard work, but don't forget the people that are executing the strategies.

Sr. Quality Assurance

Current Employee - Quality Engineer in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Quality Engineer in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Brady

Pros

Excellent work enviroment.
    Global experience accum

Cons

Need to work in the definition of career path for employees

Push more fore the innovation

Cannot stick to any direction for more than 3 months

Former Employee - Human Resources in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Chicago, IL

I worked at Brady full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Provides opportunities from within, values are great (but senior execs don't follow them), great people (although they are leaving in masses), great work culture/ethic

Cons

Top 6/7 execs are inconsistent with each other, cannot follow through on strategy for too long before they change direction again. Employees don't know what to do and are not clear on strategy due to so many changes. Salaries are poor and bonus has not been paid out in many years. Remuneration strategy needs to change so that employees are rewarded with a salary consistent to competitors and bonus is viewed as a bonus! People stay because of culture however that cannot last. Employees taken advantage of in many cases. Its very sad, Brady was such a great place to work 3-4 years ago.

Follow the Brady values and policies, Executives are not exempt. Be visible to all employees. Communicate what is going on so that EVERYONE is clear. Grow the business, Brady is Global but focus is only on USA. Hold executives accountable, employees look to them for guidance.

Unstable

I worked at Brady

Pros

Co-workers are good people. (There are always good people, right?).
    Casual work environment.

Cons

Look back a few reviews and you'll hear about the frequent changes and yearly layoffs. 2013 saw a major layoff. That year, we were told, "That's a good thing, now we know what jobs are core and secure." Fat chance. October saw another round of layoffs, once again, as the brand-new web and software team that came in with the new CEO decided to consolidate, eliminating all jobs anywhere but Wi and MN. Bad enough, but it is really going to hit the fan when they let their dozens of outsourced developers go. The guys who are doing all most all of the work now. Fact, is there are not enough good people in the far north, midwest.

You will be low-balled on salary during the hiring process.

Too much time being spent with company bureaucracy.

Throwing the baby out with the bathwater, in the effort to become relevant, isn't forward thinking.

Brady Response

Jan 28, 2015Director HR

Brady Corporation is committed to growing their web and software capabilities. This is evident through recent hiring initiatives where Brady has placed over 25 permanent positions on the software ... More

You can't beat Brady Values!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Brady full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

In my time at Brady, I've come to learn about the Brady Values and how they have built the business to what it is today. There is a close knit family type of atmosphere at any location throughout the US. No matter what state you are in, East or Mid-West, you get that all familiar feeling that you're working with good, down to earth people. There have been a few bumps in the road, but the leadership is always strong and you know despite recent setbacks, that we're on the right path to success.

Cons

As far as "cons" go, I would say that Brady falls victim to what we normally see in companies, who tend to overlook the value of a long term employee. An employee shouldn't feel like they have to leave Brady in order to get a higher and deserved increase in salary, but this is the case most of the time. I think all corporate companies need to be reminded that you should value the employees you already have and retain them. Those are your most valuable people, who will teach the newcomers about the business and show them by example how the culture can be. Retain your most valued employees Brady!

My advice to management is to be patient. Change takes time. Believe that you have the right people for the job and let them do their job. Less noise is always better and helps get rid of distractions.

One Trick Pony

I have been working at Brady

Pros

Choice of warm meals in our cafeteria in MKE.

Cons

The Board went out and found a "new" CEO. The problem is that he has provided virtually nothing new in terms of insights, innovation or business strategy. It's fine to address the basic business process issues like controlling costs, managing headcount, executing processes more effectively and holding people accountable; however, we have seen nothing innovative or insightful related to improving our basic business strategies. We still have the same senior leaders who have proven themselves to be ineffective over the last several years and our current CEO seems to take pride in his insensitive approach to employees. Our values are a joke and our executives apparently don't think that we notice that.

Leave, take your money and run. Oh, that's right, there is no value in your stock options!

Good people, lack of gorwth

I worked at Brady full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Throughout the entire global team, the people are great. It was easy to build relationships across locations and departments. There's many dedicated employees. Had some good career growth as far as expanding my skills that other places may not have offered. Good work/life balance. Dedication to the community is a plus.

Cons

No room to go higher in career; few people move beyond whatever level they are at, and salaries reflect it.. Because of this, people work below their skills and that causes turn over. Too much emphasis is put on bonus as part of compensation, which hasn't been paid out in years. Company hasn't been growing and you can see how benefits and other things that make the company good to work for going away. Every quarter direction seems to change. Several years of turbulence have taken its toll.

Senior management needs to engage with employees, both by listening to feedback and taking corrective action and by actual participation. Too many supposed leaders don't come to company events and employees notice. Transparency is still an issue as is visibility. What will it take for this to be noticed?

Lots of Talent, Except at the Top

I worked at Brady full-time

Pros

Casual environment, good work-life balance, talented co-workers, dominant in many niches.

Cons

Erratic management routinely mismanages operations and fumbles opportunities. To be fair, managing a diverse portfolio of businesses is fiendishly difficult. But even bright toddlers know better than to pound round pegs into square holes. In an attempt to re-imagine the company as a smaller set of core competencies, the board has jumped out of the frying pan and into the fire. Many units have gone from neglect to active mismanagement.

Bold vision is no substitute for recognizing reality. If simplicity is the key to Brady's future, you've got a lot more painful divestiture to do. Postpone it and you'll pay with steep interest later.

Uncertain future for this company

Current Employee - Marketing in Branford, CT
    Current Employee - Marketing in Branford, CT

I have been working at Brady full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Some of the people in the office were great; decent 401k program and benefits

Cons

A prime example of US jobs going overseas. The company is desperately trying to survive and it seems in the midst of constant upheaval. The sad thing is that custom signs, tags, and labels just aren't all that unique anymore. Terrible environmental impact with constant mass catalog mailings.

Stop making radical changes every couple of months.

Very cooperative

Current Employee - Senior Process Engineer in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Senior Process Engineer in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Brady full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Work-life balance is really good. People are work are very nice and easy to get along with. Comp-time off is allowed.

Cons

Training is not very elaborate. But one can get resources for self-training. Company likes to fill positions from within first, so great promotion opportunities if one is willing to pursue.