Brady

Updated December 11, 2014
2.6

Brady President, CEO & Director J. Michael Nauman
J. Michael Nauman

Pros
  • Direct management are great, working for you and helping a good work/life balance (in 10 reviews)

• The pay is not bad and it is a very relaxed atmosphere with some good People to work with (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • They had a major layoff a couple years back (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

You can't beat Brady Values!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Brady full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

In my time at Brady, I've come to learn about the Brady Values and how they have built the business to what it is today. There is a close knit family type of atmosphere at any location throughout the US. No matter what state you are in, East or Mid-West, you get that all familiar feeling that you're working with good, down to earth people. There have been a few bumps in the road, but the leadership is always strong and you know despite recent setbacks, that we're on the right path to success.

Cons

As far as "cons" go, I would say that Brady falls victim to what we normally see in companies, who tend to overlook the value of a long term employee. An employee shouldn't feel like they have to leave Brady in order to get a higher and deserved increase in salary, but this is the case most of the time. I think all corporate companies need to be reminded that you should value the employees you already have and retain them. Those are your most valuable people, who will teach the newcomers about the business and show them by example how the culture can be. Retain your most valued employees Brady!

My advice to management is to be patient. Change takes time. Believe that you have the right people for the job and let them do their job. Less noise is always better and helps get rid of distractions.

One Trick Pony

I have been working at Brady

Pros

Choice of warm meals in our cafeteria in MKE.

Cons

The Board went out and found a "new" CEO. The problem is that he has provided virtually nothing new in terms of insights, innovation or business strategy. It's fine to address the basic business process issues like controlling costs, managing headcount, executing processes more effectively and holding people accountable; however, we have seen nothing innovative or insightful related to improving our basic business strategies. We still have the same senior leaders who have proven themselves to be ineffective over the last several years and our current CEO seems to take pride in his insensitive approach to employees. Our values are a joke and our executives apparently don't think that we notice that.

Leave, take your money and run. Oh, that's right, there is no value in your stock options!

Good people, lack of gorwth

I worked at Brady full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Throughout the entire global team, the people are great. It was easy to build relationships across locations and departments. There's many dedicated employees. Had some good career growth as far as expanding my skills that other places may not have offered. Good work/life balance. Dedication to the community is a plus.

Cons

No room to go higher in career; few people move beyond whatever level they are at, and salaries reflect it.. Because of this, people work below their skills and that causes turn over. Too much emphasis is put on bonus as part of compensation, which hasn't been paid out in years. Company hasn't been growing and you can see how benefits and other things that make the company good to work for going away. Every quarter direction seems to change. Several years of turbulence have taken its toll.

Senior management needs to engage with employees, both by listening to feedback and taking corrective action and by actual participation. Too many supposed leaders don't come to company events and employees notice. Transparency is still an issue as is visibility. What will it take for this to be noticed?

Lots of Talent, Except at the Top

I worked at Brady full-time

Pros

Casual environment, good work-life balance, talented co-workers, dominant in many niches.

Cons

Erratic management routinely mismanages operations and fumbles opportunities. To be fair, managing a diverse portfolio of businesses is fiendishly difficult. But even bright toddlers know better than to pound round pegs into square holes. In an attempt to re-imagine the company as a smaller set of core competencies, the board has jumped out of the frying pan and into the fire. Many units have gone from neglect to active mismanagement.

Bold vision is no substitute for recognizing reality. If simplicity is the key to Brady's future, you've got a lot more painful divestiture to do. Postpone it and you'll pay with steep interest later.

Uncertain future for this company

Current Employee - Marketing in Branford, CT
    Current Employee - Marketing in Branford, CT

I have been working at Brady full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Some of the people in the office were great; decent 401k program and benefits

Cons

A prime example of US jobs going overseas. The company is desperately trying to survive and it seems in the midst of constant upheaval. The sad thing is that custom signs, tags, and labels just aren't all that unique anymore. Terrible environmental impact with constant mass catalog mailings.

Stop making radical changes every couple of months.

Very cooperative

Current Employee - Senior Process Engineer in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Senior Process Engineer in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Brady full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work-life balance is really good. People are work are very nice and easy to get along with. Comp-time off is allowed.

Cons

Training is not very elaborate. But one can get resources for self-training. Company likes to fill positions from within first, so great promotion opportunities if one is willing to pursue.

New direction?

Current Employee - Trainer in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Trainer in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Brady full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

nice environment and people & culture shift is good

Cons

salary increases are hard to come by, even when market fair value is requested
    continuous employee development is sub standard
    community involvement is low

Continue to trend upwards when it comes to the growth of the company as well as improving the culture overall

Great Company!

Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Brady full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Awesome Culture, Family like atmosphere, decent pay, well taken care of by the company, pretty fair work-life balance

Cons

Merit increase is minimal at this time, frequent company simplifications, fairly unorganized (growing pains.)

It's a Mess

Current Employee - Manager in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Manager in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Brady full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Relatively decent balance of work life time. Financially strong balance sheet

Cons

Bad execuitve business decisions have turned this company from a money machine into a money pit. Cost for failed business initiatives are wiped on employees in the form of no raises, bonus and increased health care cost. This company is the Titanic taking on water with a new CEO at the helm. I'm not sure that the failure of the former CEO and executive team can be reversed. People at all levels of the company, even the the "C" level are leaving in large numbers. Not the target company it once was.....Mr. Brady is spinning in his grave.

treat the people with respect as they should be:those that make the best products and touch the customers. Leave your greed and egosat the door or go somewhere else

Brady has been in a slow slide for years. Has lost talent, market share and stock price. Proceed with caution

Former Employee - IT Person in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - IT Person in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Brady full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It is a very ethical company and is generally fair to employees.

Cons

I saw a major layoff every 9 months in my time with Brady. They have struggled to grow and the leadership seems to keep repeating the same strategies that haven't been successful. They had a major layoff a couple years back. In and around the layoff, many people left voulantarily. Much of the good talent has left.

They have a new CEO and maybe can find a new direction.