Brafton

www.brafton.com

Brafton Reviews

Updated Jul 27, 2014

Richard Pattinson

Pros
  • For those who don't there are flexible work-from-home opportunities (in 17 reviews)

• Open door policy with upper management (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance, unless your life is all about work that doesn't pay (in 9 reviews)

• Upper management doesn't care about its employees (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Garbage tier company

Writer (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsGreat office location in downtown Boston

ConsTerrible pay. Institutionalized dismissiveness toward clients and colleagues. Toxic work environment. Writers are worked to the bone. Editors are undertrained and apathetic. Clients are routinely ignored or confused and cancel frequently. Turnover is horrendous.

One other note - Brafton insists that it has cornered the market on content marketing. That is bull. They have cornered the market on cheap and outsourced editorial labor. And that's partly because the economics of this type of business make no sense. They entice tons of clients because of their absurdly low cost (their cost per article is far cheaper than what a PR firm or a freelancer would charge for similar services). To balance things out they can't afford to pay their creatives a livable wage. However I have known former Brafton clients who have found it more economical and worthwhile to pay a decent freelancer who can write a good blog for a few bucks more rather than the crap Brafton writers are forced to spew out at volume.

Real actual content marketing is happening elsewhere in the industry. Brafton has no vision and there is no value to their services.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to management school

Great clips low pay. Salesforce gets the $$$ and glory.

Content Mill Gerbil (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsTelecommuting make the never-ending feeds of blog assignments go down easier.

ConsThe culture is toxic. The guys who interviewed and hired me bristled if I even made eye contact in the office!

Advice to Senior ManagementTry relational gestalt therapy! Learn respect and fairness!

Not a great experience

Marketing Research Executive (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsEasy enough work, nice people

ConsExtremely boring, no room for growth, management is questionable

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great culture and smart people make Brafton a great place to work!

Account Management (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsLogging onto Glassdoor and reading all of the blatant false reviews of Brafton has irritated me so much that I must now write my own review, with my own experiences.

I had been searching for a job for quite some time that met all of my high standards, and I can say confidently that Brafton meets all of the criteria - let me lay a few of them out:

1. Outstanding company culture - Brafton is a place that allows you to be yourself, think freely, and incorporate your ideas into actual strategy. I don't only consider my colleagues co-workers, but as friends. Besides the standard company perks you would expect out of an innovative digital marketing company such as Brafton (company outings, etc), the people at Brafton really make it a wonderful place to work.

2. Work-Life Balance - If there has ever been a company that I worked for that understood this notion, it's Brafton. Besides being able to work from home at least once per week, they are always willing and able to accommodate you for any personal issues that come up that require time off. As long as you get your work done, you can have flexible hours and really maintain a healthy work-life balance.

3. Career Growth - Brafton has really allowed me to grow professionally, and start to shift my focus into other areas that I want to explore. They are always open to hearing ideas, and helping you achieve the level of professional growth you are looking to achieve. There are always open lines of communication and transparency that allow you to understand where you are, and ultimately how to get to where you want to be.

ConsThe only negative I can think of is the training process, which can be fragmented at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing!

Great people

ProsI must say if it wasn't for the people who work there, i would give a rating of 1 star. Everybody is bright, intelligent, and friendly. It is a laid back environment.

ConsCompensation is not great at all, be ready to put in extra hours at work if you are on the commercial side. It is expected you will be given goals at every work place but just ask around how many workers there actually stay longer than a year or two.

The worst place you could ever work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsNone (well- besides the fact it's a job)

ConsBrafton is the type of place that makes grand promises and never keeps them. The reviews littered on this page don't lie, and if you are a potential employee take heed and LEAVE. I worked there as a minority, and it was clear that if I didn't fit into the mold or culture that Brafton has created for themselves then it was going to be a rough ride. Take for instance- I do not like racist jokes, and within this organization they are thrown around on the daily. It makes it extremely uncomfortable to work, and adds to the already insane pressure of pleasing clients who have essentially signed up for a large scam. The smoke and mirrors of the company is very clear to all employees, and to keep us quiet they throw beer and parties at us (but only at the end of a quarter when they can breathe that their clients haven't figured out how much they are being scammed). All in all run far away from this place- especially if you are one with pigmented skin.

Advice to Senior ManagementContent needs to be high quality- reformat the company.

Depends on what job your doing

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsGood first job out of College. Was able to get a good hold of what my field is like in the real world. I was able to work in a part of the company that does not have a lot of turnover and was pretty well run.The coworkers in my department were very smart and very hard working. I was able to get a GREAT job due to the experience i gained from Brafton.

ConsAfter 8 months of working there, I still do not know exactly what they do. The upper management does not seem to care about customer satisfaction at all. I would get negative feed back from clients, and forward that information directly to the OWNER and he didn't seem to care at all. With that kind of model and culture its hard to take your job seriously because if the owner doesnt care then how am I? I feel bad for other departments. From what i saw the writers, editors and account managers had it rough. There was no raise or compensation structure for my department which i knew of. There was also little to no formal training.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuality is super important. A lot of clients isnt always a good thing.

The kind of company that plants fake reviews on Glass Door

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Boston, MA

Pros- Experience in your field
    - Great location

At Brafton, you can get a lot experience in your field, and exposure to a lot of different clients. If you need entry level experience, and have exhausted all other options, Brafton is good place to start. But keep looking. I do not recommend sticking around.

Cons- Low Pay. 30k range for creative
    - Disrespectful company culture toward creative
    - Production pipeline designed for quantity not quality
    - You will make a lot of crap you're not proud of
    - High turn over, because people quit almost weekly

As the title states: Brafton is the kind of company that plants fake reviews on Glass Door. In a way, this tells you everything you need to know. Rather than recognize and address problems directly, they choose dishonesty and a head-in-the-sand mentality. All these bad reviews aren't a handful of ungrateful bad apples. It's a trend.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe business model, "content marketing" sounds great, but Brafton refuses to address that good content marketing required GOOD content, not gluttonous amounts of content. Churning out blogospam, fluffy infographics, and vapid videos raised a search engine ranking in the early 2000s, but search engine algorithms are more sophisticated now. The "Quantity not Quality" tactic won't work much longer.

Brafton should should be focusing on attracting and retaining talent who can produce quality content. To that end, Brafton will need to pay more, and treat their creatives a little more respect. For example, in a given project meeting, concerning creative direction and production, the people who produce all the work usually don't have a seat at the table.

Who makes all those decisions? Account Management. I don't blame them. Accounts need to be managed. And it's sweet gig: 50k. However, for some odd reason they're tasked with making poor creative decisions and wild production promises, regarding work they have no experience with. Oh, and if your work results in an up-sell or a renewed contract, account management and sales get a bonus. No such rewards for the lowly creative team though.

And that is why turn over is so high. After 6-12 months that kind of treatment, anyone in the creative departments will look for greener pastures.

A hellish nightmare and professional death

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsCrossing the Chicago River every morning on the way to work.
    Flexibility in terms of working from home.

ConsRespectfully, I can't think of anything that isn't a con. The hours are long, the work is mind-numbing and tedious. Get used to the fact that you're basically wasting your days typing content spam at an unholy rate and that quality counts for nothing. Clients are regularly dissatisfied and management doesn't seem interested in their complaints, so long as they re-up for another month. This whole company is a con, in more ways than one.

If you're a writer, you likely won't have time to do all of the daily work that's on your plate unless you take some of it home. If you have another job or you freelance, you're going to be totally screwed for sleep or any activity that isn't work. Maybe some people can do all of the assigned writing in an eight or nine hour day, and I guess they're the ones who the company rah-rahs highlight in the weekly newsletters. Good for them. But for most of us, it's a matter of barely hanging on and barely making minimum deadlines.

You're not writing, you're regurgitating. It's a ridiculous irony that the company's name anagrams as "Barf ton" and "fart nob." The work they do is the unpleasant digestive byproduct of real writing and research.

Are you thinking about switching careers, perhaps making the transition from a media job to the exciting world of content marketing? Don't. I had years of experience and a good working reputation until I fell into this hellhole. This place is death to professional integrity and objectivity. I paid my dues. I'm a hard worker. I've done backbreaking, challenging jobs and I've done them without complaint. But these people drain everything out of you. Everything.

Advice to Senior ManagementLighten the load on your writers and editors. Focus on producing quality writing for clients, rather than garbage in order to meet unrealistic daily and monthly deadlines.

No respect for their employees - treat yourself nicely and go elsewhere!

News and Content Writer (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

Prosfree fruit?
    can work in your pajamas sometimes?

ConsThere are too many to list, but let's be clear: This isn't a bunch of lazy Millennials complaining. This is actually an exploitative company where writers do the bulk of the work and are treated like sh*t. Have some self respect and don't bother, this place blows and isn't worth your stress.

Worked for Brafton? Contribute to the Community!