Brafton

Updated December 17, 2014
Updated December 17, 2014
2.4

Richard Pattinson

Pros
  • For those who don't there are flexible work-from-home opportunities (in 21 reviews)

• The entire HR department (which didn't exist until last year) and some individuals on upper management are terrific too (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance, unless your life is all about work that doesn't pay (in 10 reviews)

• Upper management doesn't care about its employees (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

A Writer's Farm That Offers Very Little

I worked at Brafton

Pros

Great Location. Office filled with really nice people. Something to put on the resume. Technically offers money for Intern like duties.

Cons

Very low pay. Management doesn't keep promises. It's just a writer's farm, expecting you to churn out article after article nonstop in the exact format they ask. No real duties other than that.

You know what you are. You're just churning out articles and you can always bring in fresh faced new writers looking for work to replace the high turnover.

Easygoing work environment and relaxed pace

Current Employee - News & Content Writer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Brafton full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fun office and relaxed environment as long as you meet quota. The HR staff and other employees are friendly and it's a young crowd. Subjects for different "desks" (writing teams) can be obscure or hard to follow, but teams develop resources to help new hires.

Cons

People who are not natural information synthesizers will have a hard time working as fast as the company demands. Some of the information on how the company works is hidden, and I was not given an opporutnity to negotiate salary based on past experience.

We may have a sinking ship, captain

Former Employee - News & Content Writer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - News & Content Writer in Boston, MA

I worked at Brafton full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Positive relationships among co-workers - the work can be tolerable if you get on the right team
    - Opportunity for gaining professional experience

Cons

- No work-life balance - management's M.O. is to grind out as much labor as possible for the dollar in all branches, but it is especially bad with editorial. Expect to work more than 8 hours per day on a regular basis with little to no time for a lunch break, unless you can write at breakneck speed. Also note that success results in more work - whenever I demonstrated strong skills or performed exceptionally well, I was rewarded with more work. Less competent laborers could get off the hook with lower expectations. On the other hand, I did get more experience at the cost of higher stress.

- Upper management doesn't care about its employees. Turnover is awful, and not only due to the excessive workload (I saw more than one dozen people leave during my 9-month tenure, many after less than a year of employment). Management routinely pays lips service to workers, promising change, but does nothing. For example, after presenting a "concrete" for decreasing writers' workloads to a reasonable volume, one of the writers I was replaced with (June 2014) was already brought to the same volume that was supposed to change.

- Low standards - the high volume demanded of writers inevitably results in sub-par writing. Even the best writers eventually (and often quickly) burnout and simply leave or give way to the demands of the company and write crappier material. You can build your writing skills to a point, but after that it is downhill, as you routinely need to abandon the best practices you are trained on to meet volume and with it - I might argue - your dignity and integrity as a writer.

- The client is always right, even when they are wrong. Clients routinely shoot themselves in the feet content-wise, but Brafton must help them do so in order to prevent lost clients. Prepare to deal with irrational, frustrating and occasionally rude clients. Some are never happy, and you have to deal with it. As a result, some writers end up having to write more than their daily volume in rewrites because their clients are never satisfied. Rather than seeing this as a net liability in lost production volume, management just tacks it on the writer, effectively accelerating burnout.

Pay attention to employee needs - they are human beings, not mere workhouses to be wrung for labor. Investing more time in developing writers and decreasing volume demands would result in a better product as well as happier employees. That is, focus on quality rather than quality. Also, genuine transparency would help boost employee morale and instill faith that management is not just trying to exploit them.

Heavy workload and miserable pay

I have been working at Brafton full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Writing experience for the ol' resume
    Pretty good health insurance
    Great coworkers

Cons

Excessively heavy workload of at least 4,000 words per day plus editing (this is the starting volume, which gets continually higher)
    Not compensated for meetings, which are held often (an hour-long meeting means you just have to work an extra hour that day)
    Work is based on volume rather than quality of content
    Content is very boring

Value your employees more with higher salaries, smaller editorial teams and a smaller workload.
    Do not threaten writers by telling them they are lucky to have writing jobs in this current video-focused marketing world.

Run by misanthropes and idiots

Current Employee - News & Content Writer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Brafton full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fellow writers are nice
    Work from home
    Free fruit sometimes

Cons

Brafton exploits its writers by making it impossible to do their jobs under immense pressure, screws over its clients on a constant basis by providing shoddy content, and breaks every promise it makes. Do yourself a favor and look elsewhere for that first writing job. I'm just waiting for the day when I come into the office to find it stripped of everything of value and hear that the sales sector of the company has fled the country.

Stop treating writers like dirt. Follow through on your deals with clients.

Working at Brafton is a horrible experience. I wish I was able to submit this with 0 stars.

Current Employee - News & Content Writer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Brafton full-time

Pros

Your fellow writers are nice. They really understand that you're not a negative person that complains too much, you just really work for the worst company in America.
    Every 3 months the company throws a party to try and distract you from the horrible feeling you have coming into work everyday.

Cons

The workload is unrealistic and only getting worse. Writers are expected to write 4000 words per day and edit content , while making a very lousy salary. Meanwhile, other employees that work in departments that are not producing content make double of what the writers earn, while doing half the work. Brafton is a flawed company that drains the life out of their employees. I used to believe that I was lucky to be employed as a writer but now I am convinced that my employment here has to be a result of bad karma.

When you have these meetings asking employees for their opinions, you should really take those opinions and make changes. Sitting in a meeting with a CEO that nods his head in agreement of your concerns, and then leaving that meeting knowing nothing will come from it, is a huge waste of time. In fact, it is time that writers can spend writing our FOUR THOUSAND WORDS per day,

Overall, a pretty negative experience

I worked at Brafton full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Most of the people I worked with were great, including my managers. They were friendly, understanding and I did learn a little from them as well.
    Office in the Haymarket.
    A staff that did seem to care about each other and employees needs outside or work.
    You can work from home as often as you like.
    A good resume booster... depending on a few things...
    .. I had a lot other post-college work experience and mostly needed Brafton to add some marketing exp. Brafton helped me get my next job - which is a normal workload, fun experience and a 15K pay increase (plus actual R&B) - but I wouldn't even had been considered were it not for other work history. So, I can't promise the same experience if you're the fresh-out-of-college, first-job meat that Brafton usually employs.

For me.. I intended when I was hired at Brafton to quickly springboard to something better where I would stay for 5 plus years, and I accomplished that, but it was a stressful ride...

Cons

The workload, compensation and incredible boredom certainly outweigh the fact that the co-workers are nice people. For one thing, it's easy to like people when you only speak with them for about 30 seconds a day. At Brafton, you will work more than 8 hours a day pretty much every day and probably on the weekend from time to time as well. You eat lunch at your desk or in 5 minutes in the break room. You spend everyday writing 4,000 words on the most niche topics on earth, posing as an expert and trying to "source" other articles without just plagiarizing. You have no variety to your workload. No brainstorming meetings, little client contact and almost no work with the other people who manage the account. I had no communication with the CMS or client on the majority of my accounts and I was writing all the copy!

The funniest thing was that most clients knew how pointless daily content is. Out of ten, I had maybe two that actually posted a story everyday. Most just let them build up and are never posted them (or maybe the client was saving them for when they canceled, I don't know). Brafton is contractually obligated to supply story, whether the client wants it or not.

I found the work boring but also extremely stressful at the same time. It didn't have to be that way, if stories weren't daily and the workload was more manageable (or possible, even). I have also never seen turnover like that at Brafton. I was there less than a year and know of at least 7 people who left, most without one year's experience - some even without having other work lined up. That's just who I knew personally, there were plenty of other new faces that lasted, it seemed, just a few months. A number of people also left without giving two weeks notice.

Yes, there are people who can complete their work with ease (well, within 8 hours anyway), but they were the extreme minority. Those who stayed were usually the ones who managed to move to an editor position within the first few months, before becoming totally burned out on writing crap content day after day. However, editors did not have it easy either, and overall, the average tenure was quite short, even for a company staffed by millennials. There were a number of very smart and hardworking people who will have great careers elsewhere, but could not handle the daily workload and boredom. Brafton actually loses a ton of good talent, and that will keep them a lower-tier company for some time.

I currently have, and have in the past had jobs where I enjoyed or was at least indifferent on my way work to in the morning. Brafton was not this way. After the first 3 months I hated nearly every minute. I dreaded having to drudge through another identical day of the exact same content and a horrific workload that would just reset again the next morning. The workload at Brafton was like bailing water out of a sinking ship with a shot glass. You could never keep up and for many people it made more sense to just scuttle the boat and move on.

I believe Brafton has the creative talent and vision to be a much better company. I heard a lot of talk but saw little movement in a meaningful direction. It seems that working writers to the bone (a requirement to turn a profit at Brafton) will remain the norm. Also, stop posting fake reviews - they are glaringly obvious (and insulting) to anyone has worked there. At least work on making them more believable...

Hone your writing skills elsewhere

I worked at Brafton full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The opportunity to work from home if you hit your 4,000 word a day quota, which, if you are new to writing is extremely difficult to maintain.
    Everyone is young, but if you are more than three years out of college you will feel like a fossil.

Cons

No work/life balance whatsoever.
    No training provided, just criticism.

Offer training for writers who are new to the industry. Don't tear them down in pointless meetings, give them guidance on how to get better.

Good for experience, bad for almost everything else

Current Employee - News and Content Writer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - News and Content Writer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Brafton full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Resume builder
    Good location
    Great co-workers

Cons

Poor pay
    Heavy workload

Start valuing your writers more

Great culture and smart people make Brafton a great place to work!

Current Employee - Account Management in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Management in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Brafton full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Logging onto Glassdoor and reading all of the blatant false reviews of Brafton has irritated me so much that I must now write my own review, with my own experiences.

I had been searching for a job for quite some time that met all of my high standards, and I can say confidently that Brafton meets all of the criteria - let me lay a few of them out:

1. Outstanding company culture - Brafton is a place that allows you to be yourself, think freely, and incorporate your ideas into actual strategy. I don't only consider my colleagues co-workers, but as friends. Besides the standard company perks you would expect out of an innovative digital marketing company such as Brafton (company outings, etc), the people at Brafton really make it a wonderful place to work.

2. Work-Life Balance - If there has ever been a company that I worked for that understood this notion, it's Brafton. Besides being able to work from home at least once per week, they are always willing and able to accommodate you for any personal issues that come up that require time off. As long as you get your work done, you can have flexible hours and really maintain a healthy work-life balance.

3. Career Growth - Brafton has really allowed me to grow professionally, and start to shift my focus into other areas that I want to explore. They are always open to hearing ideas, and helping you achieve the level of professional growth you are looking to achieve. There are always open lines of communication and transparency that allow you to understand where you are, and ultimately how to get to where you want to be.

Cons

The only negative I can think of is the training process, which can be fragmented at times.

Keep doing what you're doing!