Brafton Reviews

Updated September 18, 2014
Updated September 18, 2014
2.3

Richard Pattinson

Pros
  • For those who don't there are flexible work-from-home opportunities (in 17 reviews)

• Open door policy with upper management (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance, unless your life is all about work that doesn't pay (in 9 reviews)

• Upper management doesn't care about its employees (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Hone your writing skills elsewhere

Former Employee - News & Content Writer  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - News & Content Writer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Brafton full-time for less than a year

Pros

The opportunity to work from home if you hit your 4,000 word a day quota, which, if you are new to writing is extremely difficult to maintain.
    Everyone is young, but if you are more than three years out of college you will feel like a fossil.

Cons

No work/life balance whatsoever.
    No training provided, just criticism.

Offer training for writers who are new to the industry. Don't tear them down in pointless meetings, give them guidance on how to get better.

Good for experience, bad for almost everything else

Current Employee - News and Content Writer  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - News and Content Writer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Brafton full-time for more than a year

Pros

Resume builder
    Good location
    Great co-workers

Cons

Poor pay
    Heavy workload

Start valuing your writers more

Great culture and smart people make Brafton a great place to work!

Current Employee - Account Management  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Management in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Brafton full-time for more than a year

Pros

Logging onto Glassdoor and reading all of the blatant false reviews of Brafton has irritated me so much that I must now write my own review, with my own experiences.

I had been searching for a job for quite some time that met all of my high standards, and I can say confidently that Brafton meets all of the criteria - let me lay a few of them out:

1. Outstanding company culture - Brafton is a place that allows you to be yourself, think freely, and incorporate your ideas into actual strategy. I don't only consider my colleagues co-workers, but as friends. Besides the standard company perks you would expect out of an innovative digital marketing company such as Brafton (company outings, etc), the people at Brafton really make it a wonderful place to work.

2. Work-Life Balance - If there has ever been a company that I worked for that understood this notion, it's Brafton. Besides being able to work from home at least once per week, they are always willing and able to accommodate you for any personal issues that come up that require time off. As long as you get your work done, you can have flexible hours and really maintain a healthy work-life balance.

3. Career Growth - Brafton has really allowed me to grow professionally, and start to shift my focus into other areas that I want to explore. They are always open to hearing ideas, and helping you achieve the level of professional growth you are looking to achieve. There are always open lines of communication and transparency that allow you to understand where you are, and ultimately how to get to where you want to be.

Cons

The only negative I can think of is the training process, which can be fragmented at times.

Keep doing what you're doing!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

First job out of college, not very good at preparing me for the real world.

Former Employee - Editorial  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Editorial in Boston, MA

I worked at Brafton full-time for more than a year

Pros

My coworkers at Brafton were generally very friendly, smart people, and that includes some (but not all) upper management.

Bring able to work from home was nice.

Cons

There are many, but the first is the smoke and mirrors act that is performed by upper management, including fake employee reviews. Let's look at the most recent one, which I have quoted below.

"Outstanding company culture - Brafton is a place that allows you to be yourself, think freely, and incorporate your ideas into actual strategy."

Let me be very clear - there is no company culture at Brafton. Donuts on Wednesdays are the only perk I ever received. Thinking freely is not allowed - as a writer, you are forced to churn out identical articles, and if you even dare to break the mold and try and get creative, you will get shut down by either your CMS or upper management. And as for "actual strategy," 99% of writers have no idea how their content is performing, or if they do, why it is performing the way it is.

"Work-Life Balance - If there has ever been a company that I worked for that understood this notion, it's Brafton." "They are always willing and able to accommodate you for any personal issues that come up that require time off. As long as you get your work done, you can have flexible hours and really maintain a healthy work-life balance."

"As long as you get your work done" is the key phrase/threat at Brafton. They pawn off flexibility as a perk, such as "you can take as long as you want for lunch." However, the workload is impossible, which is why most writers' lunches are spent at their desks, if they have time at all. Accommodating? While I worked there, one of my writers had a death in his immediate family, and upper management explained that bereavement leave was unpaid, and he would have to make up any work he missed while away. God forbid you are ever sick, or even take vacation - your workload will be distributed to the rest of the team, and they will all hate you for it.

"Career Growth - Brafton has really allowed me to grow professionally, and start to shift my focus into other areas that I want to explore. There are always open lines of communication and transparency that allow you to understand where you are, and ultimately how to get to where you want to be."

What does this even mean? Classic example of the content Brafton produces - it all "sounds" good, but nothing is based in fact, and when you actually read it thoroughly, you realize it's just meaningless words. "Shift my focus into other areas" - what areas? "Grow professionally" - how? "Get to where you want to be" - where is that? I learned nothing about the content marketing industry as a writer and editor at Brafton - all I learned was how to churn out garbage 200, 400 and 600 word articles under an incredible amount of pressure.

Again, during my 2 years at Brafton, I saw the CEO twice, for his Kool-Aid yearly speeches. The management I worked with had no communication or transparency, and decisions were made arbitrarily or not explained at all.

Finally, compensation rated at 4 stars? Starting salary for a writer is 28K a year, non-negotiable - let that sink in for a moment.

I have no advice. I would say increase compensation, treat long-term employees with respect and change your whole quantity over quality business model.

Garbage tier company

Former Employee - Writer  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Writer in Boston, MA

I worked at Brafton full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great office location in downtown Boston

Cons

Terrible pay. Institutionalized dismissiveness toward clients and colleagues. Toxic work environment. Writers are worked to the bone. Editors are undertrained and apathetic. Clients are routinely ignored or confused and cancel frequently. Turnover is horrendous.

One other note - Brafton insists that it has cornered the market on content marketing. That is bull. They have cornered the market on cheap and outsourced editorial labor. And that's partly because the economics of this type of business make no sense. They entice tons of clients because of their absurdly low cost (their cost per article is far cheaper than what a PR firm or a freelancer would charge for similar services). To balance things out they can't afford to pay their creatives a livable wage. However I have known former Brafton clients who have found it more economical and worthwhile to pay a decent freelancer who can write a good blog for a few bucks more rather than the crap Brafton writers are forced to spew out at volume.

Real actual content marketing is happening elsewhere in the industry. Brafton has no vision and there is no value to their services.

Go back to management school

Great people

I have been working at Brafton full-time for more than a year

Pros

I must say if it wasn't for the people who work there, i would give a rating of 1 star. Everybody is bright, intelligent, and friendly. It is a laid back environment.

Cons

Compensation is not great at all, be ready to put in extra hours at work if you are on the commercial side. It is expected you will be given goals at every work place but just ask around how many workers there actually stay longer than a year or two.

The worst place you could ever work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Brafton full-time for more than a year

Pros

None (well- besides the fact it's a job)

Cons

Brafton is the type of place that makes grand promises and never keeps them. The reviews littered on this page don't lie, and if you are a potential employee take heed and LEAVE. I worked there as a minority, and it was clear that if I didn't fit into the mold or culture that Brafton has created for themselves then it was going to be a rough ride. Take for instance- I do not like racist jokes, and within this organization they are thrown around on the daily. It makes it extremely uncomfortable to work, and adds to the already insane pressure of pleasing clients who have essentially signed up for a large scam. The smoke and mirrors of the company is very clear to all employees, and to keep us quiet they throw beer and parties at us (but only at the end of a quarter when they can breathe that their clients haven't figured out how much they are being scammed). All in all run far away from this place- especially if you are one with pigmented skin.

Content needs to be high quality- reformat the company.

The kind of company that plants fake reviews on Glass Door

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Brafton full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Experience in your field
    - Great location

At Brafton, you can get a lot experience in your field, and exposure to a lot of different clients. If you need entry level experience, and have exhausted all other options, Brafton is good place to start. But keep looking. I do not recommend sticking around.

Cons

- Low Pay. 30k range for creative
    - Disrespectful company culture toward creative
    - Production pipeline designed for quantity not quality
    - You will make a lot of crap you're not proud of
    - High turn over, because people quit almost weekly

As the title states: Brafton is the kind of company that plants fake reviews on Glass Door. In a way, this tells you everything you need to know. Rather than recognize and address problems directly, they choose dishonesty and a head-in-the-sand mentality. All these bad reviews aren't a handful of ungrateful bad apples. It's a trend.

The business model, "content marketing" sounds great, but Brafton refuses to address that good content marketing required GOOD content, not gluttonous amounts of content. Churning out blogospam, fluffy infographics, and vapid videos raised a search engine ranking in the early 2000s, but search engine algorithms are more sophisticated now. The "Quantity not Quality" tactic won't work much longer.

Brafton should should be focusing on attracting and retaining talent who can produce quality content. To that end, Brafton will need to pay more, and treat their creatives a little more respect. For example, in a given project meeting, concerning creative direction and production, the people who produce all the work usually don't have a seat at the table.

Who makes all those decisions? Account Management. I don't blame them. Accounts need to be managed. And it's sweet gig: 50k. However, for some odd reason they're tasked with making poor creative decisions and wild production promises, regarding work they have no experience with. Oh, and if your work results in an up-sell or a renewed contract, account management and sales get a bonus. No such rewards for the lowly creative team though.

And that is why turn over is so high. After 6-12 months that kind of treatment, anyone in the creative departments will look for greener pastures.

Great clips low pay. Salesforce gets the $$$ and glory.

Former Employee - Content Mill Gerbil  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Content Mill Gerbil in Boston, MA

I worked at Brafton full-time for less than a year

Pros

Telecommuting make the never-ending feeds of blog assignments go down easier.

Cons

The culture is toxic. The guys who interviewed and hired me bristled if I even made eye contact in the office!

Try relational gestalt therapy! Learn respect and fairness!

Not a great experience

Former Employee - Marketing Research Executive  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Marketing Research Executive in Boston, MA

I worked at Brafton full-time for less than a year

Pros

Easy enough work, nice people

Cons

Extremely boring, no room for growth, management is questionable

Worked for Brafton? Contribute to the Community!