BrainPOP Reviews

Mission Driven Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at BrainPOP full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great company culture, flexible work arrangements, excellent paid parental leave plan, generous benefits. Sunny, modern office in the Flatiron area. Co-workers are inspiring and creative; the company is passionate about education. Lots of play, experimentation, opportunity for PD, travel, and collaboration with partners.

Cons

The open office plan is starting to feel growing pains.

Time to expand!

A great place to work in!

Current Employee - Legal Counsel  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Legal Counsel in New York, NY

I have been working at BrainPOP full-time for more than a year

Pros

BrainPOP is a great place to work in because it means working with a great team and because of the open door policy.

Cons

There are no cons in my opinion.

decent product, but scary management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at BrainPOP full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some good, smart colleagues; decent product; good reputation. I met some great people, particularly ones not related to management.

Cons

Good product despite the absolutely unparallelled unprofessionalism and inappropriate behavior of management. I heartily second the other reviewer--major nepotism, major sexual harassment. Luckily I was beloved by management.

Get rid of family members who are incompetent.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Really good mission but nepotism might lead to its demise.

Former Employee - N/A  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - N/A in New York, NY

I worked at BrainPOP

Pros

BrainPOP has a really great mission. They care about teaching kids and making everything from science to literature to math more fun and engaging. Some of the people working on the site are quite talented, young, and interesting. I'm not sure if schools are still subscribing to this site, but for a while it was quite popular nationwide.

Cons

BrainPOP is not your typical company, and they are proud of that fact. There's *a lot* of nepotism here, in that almost everyone at the company is somehow related to the family that owns it. That means that some people working at BrainPOP do not necessarily have the same level of ability and talent as others who were hired because of their experience. That isn't to say there aren't some really talented people there--there are plenty of extremely fantastic people. But because it's such a small company, even having just a few people who are less than stellar can affect an entire team and can even be disastrous for the whole company. That said, if you don't really care about the overall success of the company, as long as you don't work with one of those less talented folks, you could have quite a great experience there. Beyond this, there are many benefits to being Israeli and knowing Hebrew, or being very interested in being a part of the family that owns the company. This will likely help you in getting hired, as well as in getting along with the others at the company and rising up through the ranks. I was fortunate enough to get along well with the family, but there were many who were not, and quite a few folks were fired abruptly for not getting along with the family. After I left the company, I also heard about a few allegations of sexual harassment. I'm not sure if any of these were proven. But, if there is less accountability due to nepotism, rules may be more easily broken and inappropriate behavior more easily forgiven.

Hire the right people for the job. Think really hard about whether nepotism is good for the company.

Worked for BrainPOP? Contribute to the Community!